PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Titanic

Jinx
07-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Does anyone else just passionately love this movie?

NeoCracker
07-11-2013, 03:24 AM
Titanic was shit.

NorthernChaosGod
07-11-2013, 03:44 AM
Titanic was shit.

Del Murder
07-11-2013, 04:50 AM
Never seen it.

Pumpkin
07-11-2013, 04:57 AM
Fell asleep.

Both times I tried to watch it.

Laddy
07-11-2013, 04:57 AM
It's good but flawed.

Shorty
07-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Titanic was shit.

charliepanayi
07-11-2013, 08:31 AM
It's a decent disaster movie, which unfortunately has to share space with a soggy love story and terrible social class and Irish/Italian stereotypes. And Celine Dion. It says a lot that it won 11 Oscars from 14 nominations, and didn't even get a screenplay nomination.

Plus it robbed LA Confidential of Best Picture :(

Crazy looking back though - it was No. 1 at the US box office for fourteen weeks in a row or something.

Shauna
07-11-2013, 10:06 AM
I had to watch this movie in two parts, because I was so bored, and it was so long. Watched half of it, went away to watch another movie, then came back and finished it up.

Pike
07-11-2013, 10:11 AM
I never saw it.

I remember being in eighth grade and this movie coming out and being SUCH A BIG HUGE DEAL. I was the only person in my classroom who didn't see it.

Shiny
07-11-2013, 11:06 AM
I saw it about 900000 times...

so yeah I didn't like it.

Night Fury
07-11-2013, 11:12 AM
I passionately dislike this movie.

I don't know why, I mean I try to like it because I love both Kate and Leo but.... Just..... Ahhhhhhh

Loony BoB
07-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Titanic was trout.

Shauna
07-11-2013, 11:37 AM
I never saw it.

I remember being in eighth grade and this movie coming out and being SUCH A BIG HUGE DEAL. I was the only person in my classroom who didn't see it.

Yeah, me too. xD I watched it a few years back though, just to see what the big deal was.

noxious.sunshine
07-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Oh dear lord. I can't remember how many times I saw it in the theaters with different people. I think I saw it like 2 or 3 times just with my sister and different friends of her's.

And then I was supposed to go see "The Wedding Singer" with my friends in my hometown and my brother dropped me off at the wrong theater, so I was like "Screw it. I'll go see Titanic for the 8 millionth time, whatevs." ... I go in and all the employees are in fake tuxedos and there's a huge Titanic cake by the doorway and a Titanic backdrop and all this other crap and I'm like "What in the hell?" ... So I go in (I'm way early anyway) and my friends end up showing up there. I ask them what's going on and they're like "Uhhh... It's -opening night-? Hel-lo?" and I'm like "Dude. No. You've gotta be kidding me. I've already seen this damn movie a lot of times..."

...... Small towns, man. SMDH!

Anyway, it's too long and blah blah blah and I'll throw it on if I wanna fall asleep real quick.

However, it really is loosely based on a true story. XD The couple that it's about didn't meet on the ship though, the man was the owner of a candy shop over in Europe, but he was married. He met the girl ("Rose", I guess. I can't remember their actual names) and ran away with her on the Titanic. When the ship sank, the man -did- die, and the woman lived, but I -think- she ended up back in England/Ireland wherever and went a bit nuts in the head.

Jinx
07-11-2013, 02:01 PM
:(

EDIT: NS--I'm not sure where you heard that, but the love story part of Titanic is very much made up and not based on anyone in the slightest.

Shauna
07-11-2013, 02:08 PM
ITT: Sam is crushed by the dislike of Titanic.

noxious.sunshine
07-11-2013, 02:14 PM
I read an article a long time ago about a couple it was very loosely based on. No, not a real "Jack & Rose". Their names escape me now.

On another note, I saw the sets from the movie & a few actual pieces from the ship itself at King's Island in Ohio after it came out. It was pretty swell.

Jinx
07-11-2013, 02:18 PM
ITT: Sam is crushed by the dislike of Titanic.

I am. :(

I mean, I'm willing to admit this movie really isn't that good. The high points: the costuming, sets, and music are still fucking unbelievable, and I don't think anyone can criticize them.

The low points: the CGI, the story. And the CGI is forgivable because it was the mid-90s. It just hasn't aged well, which is to be expected.

I guess the reason I still love this movie so much is because of how much I loved it when I was younger. I see its flaws, but I still love it regardless. And I still weep openly at certain parts of this movie--not just when Jack dies. It's a very, very, very corny movie, but it's probably one of my favourite movies of all time. Like, top 5 for sure.

Laddy
07-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, that's how you give a film analysis. Fair, balanced, and consisting of more than the word "trout".

Titanic is not a film I especially like, it has moments of self-indulgence and downright melodrama. But the acting, production values, cinematography, costuming, makeup, and especially the sets were almost peerless for the time it was released. It's a "guilty" pleasure of a film (if even that), but it's made far too competently to be called "trout". Massively overrated, melodramatic, even immature and insincere, but not trout. Honestly, people, you don't win an award for not liking Titanic​. :colbert:

:bigsmile:

Pike
07-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Honestly, people, you don't win an award for not liking Titanic​. :colbert:

Do I get an award for having never seen it, at least?

Slothy
07-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Honestly, people, you don't win an award for not liking Titanic​. :colbert:

If I was trying to win an award I'd be a bit more eloquent than calling it trout. But since there are no awards for hating a sixteen year old movie, I can just call it trout and move on with my day. :p

Shorty
07-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, that's how you give a film analysis. Fair, balanced, and consisting of more than the word "trout".

Titanic is not a film I especially like, it has moments of self-indulgence and downright melodrama. But the acting, production values, cinematography, costuming, makeup, and especially the sets were almost peerless for the time it was released. It's a "guilty" pleasure of a film (if even that), but it's made far too competently to be called "trout". Massively overrated, melodramatic, even immature and insincere, but not trout. Honestly, people, you don't win an award for not liking Titanic​. :colbert:

:bigsmile:

All's fair in love and film, Laddy.

And that means Titanic was shit.

noxious.sunshine
07-11-2013, 06:06 PM
My heart willl gooo ooooonnnn annnnnnddddd oooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Psychotic
07-11-2013, 06:55 PM
If you skip to the bit with the boobs and then the bit when the boat hits the iceberg it's an amazing movie.

Jinx
07-11-2013, 06:56 PM
If you skip to the bit with the boobs and then the bit when the boat hits the iceberg it's an amazing movie.

You're still my best girl, Cora.

Psychotic
07-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Hell, that bit too! Plus, wasn't Bernard Hill in it? I like Bernard Hill.

When I come to think about it, all four of the people in this quote pyramid are simpletons with abysmal taste in most things.

Titanic was trout.If these four hated it, Titanic was fucking fantastic.

Miriel
07-11-2013, 07:01 PM
I fucking loved Titanic.

Jinx
07-11-2013, 07:02 PM
I smurfing loved Titanic.

I ran out of rep, otherwise you'd be getting some.

Sephex
07-11-2013, 07:32 PM
The re-release of this movie caused many tweets like this.

http://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/people-that-did-not-know-titanic-was-real.jpg

Also, I have never seen this movie all the way through. Never gave Titanic enough time to really sink in.

noxious.sunshine
07-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Kathy Bates. Uh huh. Best part of the whole movie.

I'll throw in Victor Garber too. He's just so handsome for an old dude.

charliepanayi
07-11-2013, 08:24 PM
I think for a time Bernard Hill was the only actor to be in two movies that made over a billion dollars. He's box office gold clearly!

Calliope
07-11-2013, 09:07 PM
I really liked Titanic - it had a bit of mystery, romance, goodies, baddies, rebellion, people scrambling for their lives, gorgeous costumes. It has James Cameron sketching in his own movie, and a charming rendition of Molly Brown and Wallace Hartley. The music and accents were a bit naff, but that's hardly a dealbreaker.

I always grind my teeth when the old lady throws the damn jewellery into the sea at the end, not to mention the door in the water dilemma (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVgkvaDHmto). Still, I like the movie. I'm feeling pretty insomnia-ridden at the moment, I might start rewatching of of Mr DiCaprio's films.

Flying Mullet
07-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Titanic was trout.

I used up today's rep repping everyone that said something bad about this movie in this thread and it was the best spent rep ever.

Inferno
07-11-2013, 09:20 PM
My mother forced me to go to the movie theater when I was a kid. Never stopped hating

krissy
07-12-2013, 04:01 AM
never seen it
just posting in this thread before it somehow becomes an argument about the realism of the glacier physics
sorry i heart u guys