PDA

View Full Version : Why are you here again?

Rebellious Eagle
07-11-2013, 05:57 AM
So my fantabulous ex I've posted here about numerous times (during my stupid 16-year-old days) recently decided to get a job at the same place I work at, even though he knows I've worked there for the past year. Lovely, isn't it? Now I have mini anxiety attacks every time I see his name on the schedule.

He texted me today and asked me to cover a shift for him. I'm half-tempted to tell him to go smurf himself except he covered a shift for me last month when I was having a day of fun with Matt after prom (and he knew I was with Matt, and he's smurfing jealous of Matt too and hates his guts). So now I'm in a dilemma and don't know whether I should return the favor or just be a super bitch for all the trout he's done to me the past 2 years and tell him to go find someone else. So tempting.

Any stories about people working with you who were particularly unpleasant or whom you've had a bad past with? How hard was it to be civil with them in a professional setting?

Quindiana Jones
07-11-2013, 06:16 AM
Professional life =/= personal life.

You don't have to like everyone you work with, nor do you have to act all chummy chummy towards them, but when it comes to doing your job, you should just do your job. Presumably it's part of your contract to try to cover shifts if a fellow staff member is ill or something, but if you can't (be arsed), then you don't have to. I'd just tell him you're busy as a motherfucker if you don't want to do any extra hours. xD

NeoCracker
07-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Me and management have had issues at a couple of my jobs. One job I left because one manager constantly bitched at me for the job I was doing, yet when I did it my way things went well. However it wasn't here way so she bitched at me. I did it her way and shit went wrong, so she bitched.

Then one day I basically told her to fuck off and wouldn't listen to her anymore, and things went swimingly! :monster:

But then she got control of the work schedual. :(

Leeza
07-11-2013, 06:58 AM
I work with my boyfriend's ex-wife. I don't see her on a regular basis, but when I do we are civil regarding all work related issues. Other than that we just don't interact. It's not the easiest thing to be civil knowing things that you know, but compartmentalization is about the only way to deal with situations like this.

Shorty
07-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Quin's right. As much as you may want to punish him for how troutty he treated you, you ought to separate that from him as your coworker and keep your professional life and personal life separate. There may come a time when you need him to cover a shift of yours again or to help you out in another way, and acting bitchy (as much as you may want to, even if it's justified) may not help you out in the future.

That sucks super bad, though.

Loony BoB
07-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I used to work with a guy who would flirt with every girl I knew, including my girlfriends and girlfriends of my close friends. Every time there was some kind of returned flirting, he would take that as licence to attempt to convince them to leave their partner (if they had one) and hook up with him. One of them actually almost did it, too. Despite that, he was my superior at the time and I could do little about it. Eventually I cracked when he tried it one time too many and I called him out on it with the assistance of about 20+ girls that he had told (in private) they were "the one" or something like it. He left. He's married now, yet every now and then I seem him around and I'm fairly certain he still tries his luck with certain females he used to prey on.

We retained a professional relationship at all times within the workplace, really. I would encourage doing the same.

Shiny
07-11-2013, 10:53 AM
I am freelance so it honestly isn't hard at all because I know in 6 months or whatever I will not have to work with them again.

noxious.sunshine
07-11-2013, 01:30 PM
My ex was my asst manager @ the Messcan restaurant we both worked at.. XD but only 2 days out of the week. The rest of the time he was a server.. even tho he still pretty much ran the place.

Anywho, we wound up together and dating. No one knew at work for like 3 months and then he broke up w me for the 1st time after 6 months. It was terrible. And I still had to work with him. I'd have to stay in a closed section away from him when I wasn't doing sodework or checking my tables so that I wouldn't have a total meltdown in front of everyone. It went on like that for like a month before he went back to where he works now. He came in one time after that for lunch and it was my turn, but I made the new guy wait on him for me. Heh.

Chemical
07-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Professional life =/= personal life.

This plus "don't screw the crew" moto has resulted in never having been in said situation. But in the end I need moneyand I am a self serving, so I take any shift I can.

Jinx
07-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Your position kind of sucks, because you didn't date a co-worker, your dated someone who became your co-worker later. But, I echo the sentiments that you should probably return the favor, and you don't know if you might need his help again in the future. Saying no may take a rocky situation and make it outright hostile. But, if you really don't want to, you can always say you have plans or have to go to the doctor's or something.

I dated a co-worker once. He was actually a manager of mine. Never, ever again. He was professional enough that after we broke up he didn't give me any shit, but I was lucky with that.

noxious.sunshine
07-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Things weren't like "bad" between my ex & I at work, I was just really depressed about the situation. I really wasn't even looking for a relationship when I started working with him. It just kinda happen / he pursued me. blaaaah.

I hooked up with one of my co-workers that I was really good friends with back in TX. I wasn't like trying to be in a relationship or anything & we both agreed on it, but then he got all weird, so I was like "Whaaatevs. I'm not upset about it". lol but then he got mad 'cuz I didn't go to his going away party before he moved - he didn't even invite me! He came over and hung out with me on my birthday though and I finally kinda went off on him for being stupid.

Rebellious Eagle
07-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Well I told him if he really can't find anyone else I'd step up to the plate and do it. I really don't want to because I have quite enough hours this week and a lot of other shit to do, but...I guess you guys are right about trying to be professional. It's just really hard​.

Jinx
07-11-2013, 08:38 PM
This might sound unkind, but if you hate him so much, I wonder why you thought it'd be a good idea to ask him to cover your shift in the first place. Especially when you knew it'd upset him because of why you were asking him to cover your shift.

Sephex
07-11-2013, 09:06 PM
An older fellow I work with comes from a family that's related to Nazi's. I know when his mom used to work there in the company's old days she insisted Hitler was in the right.

So anyway, this guy was very rude to me and my partner, so I tell him, "I think you should burn in hell much like your countrymen of days past burnt books."

He didn't talk to me for awhile after that.

Araciel
07-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Dipping your pen in the company ink is fun and creates sweet drama.

Shorty
07-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Dipping your pen in the company ink is fun and creates sweet drama.

Said no one ever.

Araciel
07-12-2013, 03:22 AM
YOUR FACE

Rebellious Eagle
07-12-2013, 04:38 PM
This might sound unkind, but if you hate him so much, I wonder why you thought it'd be a good idea to ask him to cover your shift in the first place. Especially when you knew it'd upset him because of why you were asking him to cover your shift.

I know, I felt like a mean person, but there were fewer people working at the time and the rest of them had off or were already working. So I had no choice but to ask. ~.~