PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Fantasy Football (American)

Raistlin
07-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Ok, so after a fantastic screw up last year which fortunately didn't impact you all too much though provided me with WEEKS of work and headaches, we are back to try this thing again.

There was one team that wasn't invited back due to inactivity last year. It might have been understandable if he simply left after the week 4 blowup, but I noticed he made some roster moves over the couple of weeks following after I'd fixed the stuff moving forward, and then he just abandoned us. Otherwise, everyone has been invited back in an email, but that also means we have at least one guaranteed opening! (actually 3 considering we only had 12 last year, and can accommodate 14)

So register your teams, suggest any new rules changes (I think we'll keep the extra position if we stick with 12 teams, but lose it if we get 14 people again), and most importantly, let me know what draft times do and don't work for you ASAP.

For any newbies who might be interested: post here! If we still have space, I'll PM you the league ID info (for the record, we use Yahoo's fantasy football system).

Who's ready for some football?

escobert
07-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Any time after 5pm est weekdays and anytime really weekends works for me.

Del Murder
07-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Oh sure, the year I finally win one again was the year of a giant 'screwup'.

Jiro
07-13-2013, 09:11 AM
I no longer have access to games on the telly but boy oh boy do I have internet so I figure this could be fun and be a good way to learn all the fucking players, right? :D

escobert
07-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Yes! come on Jiro!

Jiro
07-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Alright, I'll take part and hopefully not be too much of a lameoid, assuming there are no objections! I expect Raist will take a day or two to recover before he gets things underway here, so I will await my mognet patiently :aimsun:

DK
07-14-2013, 02:22 PM
I have always wanted to join this and gallantly fight for the bottom spot in the league but always miss the signups. Let me in and let hilarity ensue. Me and Dak can join forces and lead a foreign invasion on your puny sports league. (also if Dak is in aus right now our time zones match up well for us to gibber and rant at each other in the thread while the rest of you are presumably asleep.)

Raistlin
07-15-2013, 12:14 AM
We are happy to welcome newbies and even foreigners. I should just say that you are expected to check the league at least once a week for a whole season (16 weeks), at minimum to sub out injured or inactive players. Though you won't get the full enjoyment out of the league unless you really pay attention and join us with smack talk. The league has been pleasantly competitive for some years now, so we would appreciate if you really tried.

I'll send you the league info in a PM if you're good with that. And as soon as I can remember the damn password (it's been years since I actually had to log into the league instead of just logging into to my Yahoo ID xD).

EDIT: Oh wait, d'oh. Let me wait a couple of weeks first to let all the returning managers that want to do so to sign up first to see how much space there is. But I only sent the invite out to 11, and we have up to 14 spots, so there should be room for both of you. You're both at the top of the list for any open spots after two weeks or so. (the live draft isn't until the end of August, so there's plenty of time)

Jiro
07-15-2013, 01:09 AM
Wesley "Offers but then takes away" Raistlin. I expect both of us to have spots so we can smack talk the fuck outta each other. I will of course check things once a week, I might be busy but I'm not a lawyer so if you can do it, I can do it, punk. Watch the Australian completely dominate thanks to a combination of beginner's luck and overconfidence from the returning members :p

Raistlin
07-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Hah, missed this:

Oh sure, the year I finally win one again was the year of a giant 'screwup'.

What other screw up do you think I was referring to except for your win? :confused:

Relena Peacecraft
07-21-2013, 03:43 AM
Uh oh, I guess I better see if I ever bothered to make any sort of web site. Oh hey, I guess I did get something put together last year. It's not very impressive though.

Review last year's content at EoFF Fantasy Football » 2012 (http://eoffffl.calindora.com/season/2012/) and see if there's anything you want me to change or features I should add. If you're really lucky, I might the time and motivation to actually do something. I wouldn't count on it, though.

Every time I get anything close to excited about doing sports web stuff, I get bored and give up relatively quickly (as you can see from my obviously stalled MLB stuff (http://sports.calindora.com/)). Then again, the thing that ends up demotivating me mostly is lack of access to quality data, so that's not too much of a problem with this league.

In any case, as far as drafts go, Sundays are almost impossible except early in the day. Tuesdays/Saturdays are completely open, and the rest of the week I'm available after 6PM Eastern. My schedule will no doubt jibe with exactly zero other people.

Raistlin
07-27-2013, 01:25 AM
So it's been almost two weeks and there's been no other activity since eestlinc signed up about 10 days ago, so I'm opening up the league to anyone else who wants to join. I've PM'd the league info to DK and Jiro. If those two both sign up, then we're at 12, which is what we had last year -- but it's also two less than our maximum capacity, so there's two more spots open for any fantasy newbies who are interested.

escobert
07-27-2013, 01:36 AM
yay DK and Jiro! :love:

Jiro
07-27-2013, 03:50 AM
Now if only I could actually join the league...

Raistlin
07-27-2013, 04:09 AM
Yahoo has changed up their stupid system, and I couldn't figure out how to sign up for the league just with the league info and password either. You may need an invite now to join private leagues, so if you want to join, just send me the email address to which you want me to send the invitation.

Jiro
07-27-2013, 04:18 AM
I wanted a name that sufficiently acknowledged my foreigness and my final fantasy forumness. The Downunder Blitzers and Downunder Duggles were options, but I'm going with Australian Abes. Now if only I could get Tidus on my team... :monster:

Relena Peacecraft
07-28-2013, 03:43 PM
I just did a mock draft to test some draft strategies. I ended up with 14 quarterbacks. Something tells me that is not going to be the recipe for success.

Raistlin
07-29-2013, 01:06 AM
That would probably work about as well as Spuuky's 3 kicker strategy a couple of years ago.

Relena Peacecraft
07-30-2013, 01:35 AM
My final team was:

QB - Drew Brees
QB - Colin Kaepernick
QB - Tom Brady
QB - Robert Griffin III
QB - Eli Manning
QB - Ben Roethlisberger
QB - Alex Smith
QB - Philip Rivers
QB - Ryan Tannehill
QB - Jay Cutler
QB - Sam Bradford
QB - Brandon Weeden
QB - Christian Ponder
QB - Matt Flynn
RB - Vick Ballard

Oh yeah, best fantasy team ever. Can Eli Manning play wide receiver?

Spuuky
07-30-2013, 01:46 AM
That would probably work about as well as Spuuky's 3 kicker strategy a couple of years ago.I never drafted 3 kickers and object to this slander. You're probably thinking of edczxcvbnm.

On the other hand, I did play without a QB one year, but I still almost won because my third RB was Michael Vick.

Raistlin
07-30-2013, 02:04 AM
Didn't Nicky draft 3 kickers for you one year when you couldn't make it (which might have been the same year Miriel drafted for Del)? I thought I remember you making a post about your 3-kicker strategy... shortly before dropping two of them. :p

Though I'm sure ed probably live-drafted (as opposed to auto-drafted) a kicker earlier than anyone else ever his first year haha.

Raistlin
07-30-2013, 03:08 PM
I sent an invite to DK, and once he signs up that will put us at 12 teams. We can have a maximum of 14 teams (and some people prefer that), so there's still room for 2 more people!

Jiro
08-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Anybody want to give me a quick explanation of the way the draft works. I assume I'm trying to populate my team as I would if it were actually being fielded, right?

I promise I will try and be competitive :monster:

Del Murder
08-01-2013, 02:36 PM
In your first year, I honestly would suggest you use the auto-draft. Yahoo usually does a good job of fielding your team. The only bad thing they'll do is draft you a kicker very early (as in, other than the last round).

Raistlin
08-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Anybody want to give me a quick explanation of the way the draft works. I assume I'm trying to populate my team as I would if it were actually being fielded, right?

I promise I will try and be competitive :monster:

Yes, you're trying to pick players who will give you the most points. Take a look at the league settings (under the league tab, something like "Scoring & Settings") for the roster positions we use (QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB/TE flex, 1 Kicker, 1 Defense), as well as what we give points for (6 pts for any TD, 1 pt for every 25 yards passing, 1 pt for every 10 yards rushing/receiving, 0.5 pts per reception, etc.).

You do not have to be at the live draft. If you're not there, the auto-draft that Del pointed out kicks in. That uses Yahoo's default rankings to automatically select your picks on your behalf. You can edit those rankings yourself if you want to auto-draft but still have some control over it, under the Draft tab -> Pre-Draft Rankings.

Yahoo usually does auto-draft a decent team. It's certainly not a bad option for new players trying to get the hang of things. But you don't need to miss the draft if you don't want to. IIRC (and who knows how Yahoo changed up their program this year), I believe you can view the player Yahoo would select for you at the live draft (or just let 90 seconds pass and let Yahoo pick automatically). And we're not playing for money or anything, while the draft is good experience even if you want to follow Yahoo's recommendations. As long as you have a basic knowledge of the current NFL players and you're not stupid and generally select higher-ranked players, and don't something silly like draft a kicker or defense in the first rounds, then you'll probably be fine.

Jiro
08-01-2013, 04:31 PM
I'll figure it out, I'm a quick enough learner. Letting Yahoo help me out early on would be great though.

Del Murder
08-01-2013, 11:15 PM
You can also do a few mock drafts in Yahoo to get a feel for it. They have them daily.

Raistlin
08-03-2013, 11:16 PM
One more week for anyone else to sign up. We're currently at 12 teams, but we can accept up to 14 (though we'd need 2 new players, as we can't have an odd number). If anyone else is interested, just PM me an email address where I can send the invite.

Next weekend, whether or not we have any new signups, I'll close signups, finalize the teams, and determine the draft order.

Del Murder
08-04-2013, 04:55 AM
12 is the best number of teams so just keep it at that. To compensate we can include the flex player like last year.

Raistlin
08-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Yeah I believe the flex player is already there, and I was going to keep it unless we got back up to 14 again, which doesn't look likely. I know some people still prefer the challenge and lack of available depth of 14 teams (or at least, so Spuuky said last year), so I would still be ok with adding 2 more people who really wanted in. Though I agree that I now prefer 12 with the flex.

If everyone wants me to just close signups now, I'll do that.

The Captain
08-07-2013, 06:38 PM
12 is a good number. It keeps things highly competitive but not too small that the talent actually gets spread out.

With my Yankees crashing and A-rodding, I am SO READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL.

Take care all.

Raistlin
08-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Well I didn't get enough input to close signups early, but no one else wanted to join anyway, so the same result happened. :p Sign ups are now closed, we're locked at 12 teams (with the flex position from last year), and sometime later next week I'll get someone else to pull the draft order out of a hat again.

Raistlin
08-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Here's the draft order:

1. Metal Bubble Slimes
2. Carpieburgh Steelers
3. Sexy Rexy All Stars
4. Los Banditos
5. Oakland Enforcers
6. Dragon Dancers
7. Afternoon Eli-ght
8. Call Me Maybe
9. Australian Abes
10. Thunder Gun Express
11. Rusty Danglers
12. Fighting Combatants

Spuuky
08-20-2013, 01:56 AM
I didn't really want the first pick. Oh well. I guess now I need to figure out who that is.

Del Murder
08-20-2013, 05:45 AM
I'll trade you. My first and second picks for yours. Just tell me over AIM or something who to draft and we'll trade after the draft.

Jiro
08-28-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm sure I can work with the ninth spot... :jiro:

Raistlin
08-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Reminder: the draft is tomorrow in less than 24 hours.

Del Murder
08-30-2013, 10:40 PM
I posted a message on the board to possibly move the time up by an hour (or two even). I understand if that can't be done due to the short notice. I probaly will only be able to make 1-2 picks if it starts at 12PDT.

Raistlin
08-30-2013, 10:48 PM
I just saw (and responded) to your message on the league page after I posted that.

Jiro
08-31-2013, 04:18 PM
The email told me it started at 0500 EST, not AEST. I'll try and get up as soon as I can but it'll probably be auto picking for me for a bit so sorry for any delays I cause. :(

Is there a live chat (text or otherwise) happening anywhere so we can trash talk and I can offer sexual favours Australian delicacies for tips?

Del Murder
08-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Auto-picking is automatic so it actually makes it go faster. :p

The draft window has a chat function. Much smack talk goes on in there.

Cuchulainn
08-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Is it too late to sign up for this

Del Murder
08-31-2013, 06:02 PM
Yes.

Cuchulainn
08-31-2013, 06:35 PM
blow it out yer arse then :(

Jiro
09-02-2013, 05:10 AM
Yahoo scored the team it drafted for me at a B level. That sounds pretty good but I can't help but draw comparisons between this and the time my art teacher effectively did my project and then scored it a B.

Raistlin
09-02-2013, 07:21 AM
At least you did better than Del. Just look at that pathetic C+. The only impressive part is that Yahoo gave Del's fantasy football drafting the same grade he deserves as an admin.

Cuch: signups begin in late June/July every year when the thread's made. Keep an eye out for it next year if you want to join in.

Del Murder
09-02-2013, 07:31 AM
I take my drafts and adminning pass/fail so it's all good.

The Captain
09-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Did they have draft grades last year too? I don't even remember them.

Take care all.

Del Murder
09-02-2013, 11:50 PM
I don't think there was a grade, but I do remember some kind of analysis.

Jiro
09-09-2013, 06:49 AM
Got thrashed. Manning almost single-handedly did my team in. Usually I like to start with a win but Australians are renowned for come backs.

Jiro
09-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Like half of my goddamn team is out with injury or on a bye. Fuck.

Agent Proto
09-30-2013, 07:08 AM
I'm going to end up winless this season if this keeps up. :(

escobert
10-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Looks like my horrible draft and Super GM skills are paying off this year!

noxious.sunshine
10-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Woooo!1 Titans! XD

They're actually doing good so far!

Agent Proto
10-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Get your non-fantasy football gibberish out of this thread.

noxious.sunshine
10-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Sorry. -_-;

Spuuky
10-04-2013, 12:38 AM
I still loathe auto-drafting and basically hate my entire team. But at least I got a win, and maybe I even still have a distant shot at making the playoffs. I doubt it, though.

It's too bad, because so far this year, my personal rankings and feelings about players have been more accurate than any previous seasons (my non-auto team in my other league is basically an invincible juggernaut). And yet here I am with Eli Manning, David Wilson, and CJ2K.

escobert
10-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Lulz I'm 6-0 and had the second worst rated draft.

Jiro
10-23-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm doing, like, okay, but fucking hell both my DEF are on a bye week. What was the finals series, six places? I gotta make sure I make it to the eternal shame of the Americans I beat :jiro:

Raistlin
10-27-2013, 02:43 AM
The playoffs are only for the top 4. I've been fighting for a 6-team playoff for years now (mostly back when we had 14 teams every year; it makes less sense with only 12), but everyone else is dumb.

Shorty
10-27-2013, 08:24 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7914255/Lucky%20Pumpkins%20(2013)/lp_mgeuf.png

rubah
10-27-2013, 08:27 PM
that's not a pumpkin!

*nab*

Shorty
10-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Oooh, sorry allies, Nicky claimed it moments ago in the pumpkin thread!

Cuchulainn
10-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Just as well you lot never let me in this. I'm crrently top both my leagues, and in one team my 2 QB's are Eli Manning & Ben Rapesbergers.

I'm fucking incredible.

Raistlin
10-28-2013, 04:01 AM
If you actually pay attention sometime between June and August one year when signups are active, you can join this league at one point. :p

Also lol Eli Manning.

Jiro
10-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Well Yahoo predicts I will end up making it to 3rd place so it doesn't even matter. I fucked around with some trades 'cause I think one of my WR was out for the rest of the season :( here's hoping I can make some points!

(a lot of the stats are confusing to me but I'm learning)

Cuchulainn
10-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Just to add to my awesome coaching skills...I picked up Marvin Jones last week.

Yep. I am King.

Agent Proto
10-28-2013, 03:44 PM
I hope I earn my first victory this week.

Jiro
10-29-2013, 08:11 AM
My team is falling to bits from injuries :(

escobert
10-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Defiantly my best season so far.

Raistlin
11-03-2013, 04:18 AM
Ironically enough I think my receiving corp got better after Julio Jones went on the IR, as I now have a bunch of former-backups-turned-starters who are doing very well (Harry Douglas, Jarrett Boykin, and Terrance Williams). For the second straight year, I go RB-heavy in the early rounds yet end up with a team led by WRs.

Del Murder
11-04-2013, 03:01 AM
My team is an embarrassment to my former glory. I apologize on behalf of the Enforcers' management.

Agent Proto
11-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Don't worry, I only managed my first victory last week after starting the fantasy season with 8 straight losses.

Spuuky
11-08-2013, 10:03 PM
My team is an embarrassment to my former glory. I apologize on behalf of the Enforcers' management.This never would have happened if Del Davis was still alive.

Jiro
11-12-2013, 12:28 AM
My entire team decided to play like utter shit this week, apparently.

escobert
11-12-2013, 12:48 AM
I was certain I was going to lose yesterday to somehow being 100% favorite by the end of the night.

Jiro
12-01-2013, 05:20 AM
I don't like my chances of making playoffs but I think I'm set for a pretty respectable mid table finish.

escobert
12-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Not bad for your first go :p

Jiro
12-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Wow the Abes pulled their finger out and I'm apparently fourth?! This is a fortuitous turn of events. Not liking my chances of getting up over Bert though :p

escobert
12-10-2013, 02:43 PM
You handed me one of my two losses this year didn't you? Wasn't very stoked seeing I was up against you again xD Of course I guess that's better than being against Cz. Both teams I lost to this year made the playoffs. I can only hope Manning goes crazy again this week.

Jiro
12-10-2013, 03:07 PM
When we faced off last, all but two of my team played far and away above projected outcomes, and your team played fucking terribly. It should be good though, I'm looking forward to seeing how close it will be. I don't want Manning to play crazy good this week though :p

Del Murder
12-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Yeah, it was a great showing from Jiro this year particularly in the final regular game where I scored my highest point total ever and still lost. Should be an interesting finish.

escobert
12-17-2013, 01:42 AM
I hate football.

Jiro
12-19-2013, 11:20 AM
THE ABES ARE IN TOWN

WOOOOOOOOO

I have J Charles, E Lacy, and K Wright to thank. Holy fuck did they perform. The rest of the team was actually pretty pathetic, they carried us to victory.

TIME TO WIN IT ALL

escobert
12-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Really just charles. If he'd had an average game I probably would have won :p

The Captain
12-19-2013, 06:30 PM
What a crazy end to the season this has been!

My team was really rocked by injuries. Somehow I scrapped together a 7-7 record and could have made the playoffs if I'd just stuck with Andrew Luck instead of Eli, but oh well.

Looking forward to a great final week!

Take care all.

Jiro
12-23-2013, 02:16 AM
:smug: :smug: :smug:

I feel incredible. Even though I fucked up and left an inactive TE in my lineup (thanks for trying to help me out Raistlin!) I still managed to get up over the Lynchenator. Luck was invariably a factor in this 'cause I still have nearly no idea what I'm doing, but I look forward to defending my title next season :aimsun:

but first: why the fuck can I get negative points on my defence?!

Del Murder
12-23-2013, 04:45 AM
Congrats kid.

My team was awful this year. :mad:

Calliope
12-23-2013, 04:49 AM
How did my other half do? I can't ask him because he's not home yet!

Del Murder
12-23-2013, 05:02 AM
He's on his way to a respectable 5th place. :foot:

Calliope
12-23-2013, 05:20 AM
That's okay. He'll always be #1 in my heart.

escobert
12-24-2013, 05:54 AM
12-2 in the regular season and get 3rd place :(

Jiro
12-24-2013, 05:59 AM
I still have no idea how that really happened. I only won just over half my games... just. But hey, there's always next year, and I expect a nice rivalry to spawn from this master escobert :aimsun:

escobert
12-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Yes, it was a very good outing for you. congrats! Can't wait for next year :) I looked back at my past rankings and I guess I really cant complain with 3rd place. I've only gone up every year :)

Del Murder
12-24-2013, 06:31 PM
You both learned the great lesson of fantasy football: It doesn't matter if you were the best team for the first 14 weeks if you aren't the best team in the 15th week.

See you next year! I hope you join us again to defend your crown. Excellent job in your first year. :hattip:

Jiro
12-26-2013, 09:09 AM
If I quit now then my record will be 100%

but I'm super keen to see if I can pick up more and more as time goes on :aimsun:

The Captain
12-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Truly very impressive to win the league in your first try! Having Charles was definitely a great help but that's what is so much fun about football, the chance for any player to burst out and be the MVP for the playoffs.

Moreso then the other sports, where the top players are obvious year in and year out, football has so many injuries and fluctuations that yesterday's bum is today's hero and so forth.

Hope everyone has a great holiday and new year! Only a few weeks away from pitchers and catchers.....

Take care all.

Raistlin
12-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Congrats, Jiro, on your first win, all the more impressive that it was in your first season. You had a strong team this year, and some of the best RBs in the league. For a league that had been dominated by WRs in recent years, it was nice to see a traditional RB-led team win it all (of course Jimmy Graham is a top WR1 by himself).

A disappointing finish for my season, though I was in the playoff hunt until the last week or two. Fantasy football team is a crazy and unpredictable place. All three of myself, Cap'n, and Spuuky had made the playoffs for the previous two years, and not one of us did so this year. My ragtag group of replacements kept me in the hunt, but ultimately were too inconsistent for my team to remain competitive.

Thanks everyone for another enjoyable season, and I hope to see you all back here next summer.

The Captain
12-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Season in Review For Me:

Best Draft Pick: Moreno in the 10th Round. He ended up performing like a 1st round pick in Denver's insane offense.

Worst Draft Pick: Gronk in Round 5. When he was healthy he was a monster but I had a void at TE for more than half of the season.

Best Gamble: Andrew Luck, who was as good as advertised and I should have just stuck with him.

Worst Gamble: Gronk aside, it was trusting that Nicks and/or Eli would turn it around in the clutch. Also, getting rid of Woodhead and Mathews, who both had great years.

Best FA Pickup: Has to be Keenan Allen who will be a great WR for years to come.

Biggest steal of the year: Someone drafting Peyton Manning in the 3rd round and he goes on to put up an MVP season for the ages.

How does your season stack up?

Take care all.

escobert
12-30-2013, 09:12 PM
I think I got him in the 5th round actually since I missed the first 2 or 3 picks. :p and I remember somene giving me trout for taking him "that early"

Spuuky
12-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Peyton Manning was the 3rd pick of round 3.

My auto-drafted team was absolutely horrendous, and there were no good picks. But I was happy with a lot of my free agent pickups, especially Danny Woodhead, Charles Clay, and Cordarelle Patterson. Also, I was pretty good at picking random fill-in guys on the right weeks.

My worst decision was (other than having to autodraft) probably keeping Percy Harvin all year, although I don't think it caused me to miss out on anything.

escobert
12-30-2013, 09:29 PM
regardless, he shouldn't have been there at that point.

Agent Proto
12-30-2013, 10:03 PM
How does your season stack up?

Take care all.

Awful.

The Captain
12-31-2013, 07:28 PM
regardless, he shouldn't have been there at that point.

Well he certainly won't be there next season!

Take care all.

escobert
01-01-2014, 03:19 PM
I think it's time for Brady to lose another acl. I shall draft him this coming year and see if I'm 2 for 2.