PDA

View Full Version : Bjork

noxious.sunshine
07-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Can we talk about how amazing she is?

If you haven't seen "Dancer in the Dark" (her movie), then you need to see it like yesterday.

She's truly an amazing artist. And I love her.

I leave you with this:

Bjork - All Is Full Of Love (amazing live performance) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDYMfm0JQOE)

I thought about linking her a capella from the end of her movie, but it's incredibly disturbing and you need to see the whole thing in order to really get it.

Mirage
07-12-2013, 11:50 AM
No, but I can talk about how good Björk is. :p.

I like some of her music a lot, but then she's also got some songs that I don't like a whole lot. Guess that's bound to happen when you experiment as much as she does.

Some of my favourites are Play dead, All is full of love, Pagan poetry and Army of me,

Jinx
07-12-2013, 12:00 PM
I love, love, love Bjork.

Chris
07-12-2013, 12:19 PM
I was a huge fan when I was younger, and everything from Post to Vespertine was fantastic. After that, I felt like she was trying too hard to set herself apart. Medulla was a wreck, Volta overdone, and Biophilia just too gimmicky.

Loony BoB
07-12-2013, 12:29 PM
She's not the kind of artist I go out of my way to listen to, but I can at least appreciate what I have heard. Certainly an artist I could only listen to on certain occasions, though, rather than anytime.

charliepanayi
07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
I was a huge fan when I was younger, and everything from Post to Vespertine was fantastic. After that, I felt like she was trying too hard to set herself apart. Medulla was a wreck, Volta overdone, and Biophilia just too gimmicky.

I agree with this mostly, though I think Medulla is better than you say. Debut through to Vespertine (Vespertine is my favourite of hers) is a brilliant run of albums. But since then it feels like the last few albums have been more about the concept at the expense of the music. So Medulla is an interesting experiment in doing an acapella record but feels easier to admire than to love. And Biophilia got subsumed in the whole 'app' stuff around it. I still love her though and she's one of the best musicians out there.

And I won't watch Dancer in the Dark - too depressing!

Chris
07-12-2013, 12:58 PM
I know that a lot of people disagree, but I find Debut so hard to listen to. I think it's all over the place, and it doesn't feel quite "done" or "completed". Post feels more like a proper debut album. :p

Calliope
07-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Biophilia was not too "gimmicky", it was an ambitious but poorly executed project. Anyone can cut a record, but Bjork was also aiming to educate children about science and music, involve them in discovering their own creative talents, and put on an interactive show that included her usual attention to lighting and costumes.

Biophilia as a stand-alone record remains excellent:

Bj?rk - Mutual Core - OFFICIAL - Art + Music - MOCAtv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM80F_J-QHE)

Dancer in the Dark makes me want to investigate more musicals:

Dancer in the Dark : Bjork - 107 Steps - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5PQYsbHlYU)

sharkythesharkdogg
07-12-2013, 05:45 PM
I fall into "likes a lot of her stuff, but her older stuff more." category. :gator:

Necronopticous
07-12-2013, 06:15 PM
If you haven't seen "Dancer in the Dark" (her movie), then you need to see it like yesterday.Björk is great in the film, but it isn't really her movie. Lars Von Trier is the reason that movie exists, and the primary reason that it is amazing. Credit where credit is due.

Hollycat
07-12-2013, 06:17 PM
PAevcU2lUng

Here's an English version for those of you who couldn't understand
GQXZx-etXLU

Rantz
07-12-2013, 06:26 PM
I agree with charliepanayi about the albums. Although I can respect the later albums for their ambition, I just plain don't like listening to them much. That's okay, though, she still has a ton of great stuff. I saw her live last summer, and it blew my mind.

Shorty
07-12-2013, 06:35 PM
I've never really been into Bjork much. I liked her and Thom Yorke's I've Seen It All duet, though.

charliepanayi
07-12-2013, 07:52 PM
When they refer to Dancer in the Dark being Bjork's movie, I think it's more 'the movie she's in' rather than 'HER movie'. Or maybe they did mean the latter...

As for that Family Guy video, Bjork's got more talent in one fingernail than Seth McFarlane has in his whole body.

Mirage
07-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Reason #4235 why family guy isn't funny

noxious.sunshine
07-12-2013, 10:02 PM
I loved Debut when I was younger, but I don't like it as much now. Post thru Vespertine is actually my fav bundle of albums too.

As far as Medulla, I like that song "Where Is The Line" with Rahzell.

Pagan Poetry is in my top 10, along with Headphones, Joga, the Next To Last Song (from the movie), I can't think of it but it's on Homogenic...

I used to have her remix album (Telegraph I think?) And the string mix of Hyperballad is awesome. I also had the Family Tree remix set.. some good stuff on there too.

Calliope
07-29-2013, 04:36 PM
When Björk met Attenborough (HD) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8OKZ0VQpM#at=53)

Shiny
07-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Oh snap, where's Kyle at? He loves Bjork and got me to listen to a few of her songs, but she's not my cup of tea. I did like Dancer in the Dark, but Von Tier also not my cup of tea mostly.

Jinx
07-29-2013, 07:10 PM
iW-am5bud_Y

I watch this every Christmas.

DMKA
07-30-2013, 05:20 AM
I've always found her extremely strange in all the best ways.

Post and Debut are both fantastic albums. I also feel that her version of "It's Oh So Quiet" is one of the best covers ever. :love:

Tigmafuzz
07-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Bjork has a telephone conversation with P. Diddy:

tvlHN95cui4