PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Rim

Madame Adequate
07-13-2013, 04:38 PM
The greatest movie of our times, the 21st century's Citizen Kane, does not yet have a thread? For shame, EoFF, for shame.

Anyway discuss in increasingly hysterical terms and increasingly increasing superlatives just how great this movie is and when you'll be seeing it.

I'll be going in a week or two once my new glasses are in so I can actually see the damn screen.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-13-2013, 11:18 PM
I am interested to see a modern take on a kaiju film Modern Godzilla doesn't count. by a well know director.

I want to see how a big budget works when applied to a hilariously over the top monster movie. I am worried it's just going to be some horrible Michael Bay style explosion fest and just not have that "feel" that I want.

Also, please don't be Cloverfield.

Nicolas
07-14-2013, 12:52 AM
Saw it today and it was an incredibly fun movie to watch. Pretty much a perfect Summer Blockbuster/Popcorn Flick. The fantastic audio and beautiful visuals pretty much make the movie since the story, and even acting, is spotty at times.

But, yes... Go. See. It. Now.

MJN SEIFER
07-14-2013, 01:14 AM
The title sounds like a lavatory disinfectant, but I have seen the trailer and it looks cool, so I might watch it one day.

escobert
07-14-2013, 01:35 AM
Charlie Day is in it. I will see it.

Laddy
07-14-2013, 02:34 AM
It's very good. Go see it, it's fun, beautiful, and surprisingly strong emotionally and intellectually.

A very good summer action film.

Pumpkin
07-14-2013, 03:44 AM
Went to see this earlier. It was pretty good. Pretty cheesy, but that's to be expected. It ran a bit long though.

The Man
07-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Guillermo del Toro has yet to disappoint me (and Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favourite films of all time) so I will probably be seeing this sooner rather than later.

Freya
07-14-2013, 05:11 AM
OMG IT WAS SO COOL AND THE FIGHTS AND ROBOTS AND IT WAS SO AWESOME

Bolivar
07-14-2013, 05:22 AM

Dear twitter friends, The followings are my comment regarding "Pacific Rim". Luckily I was allowed to tweet in public by WB.

I have never imagined that I would be fortunate enough to see a film like this in my life. The emotional rush I had inside me was the same kind I had when I felt the outer space via "2001: A Space Odyssey" and when I had touched the dinosaur in "Jurassic Park". Animation and special effects movies and shows that I loved in my childhood days - they all truly exist in the screen. Director Guillermo del Toro offers this spectacular vision of massive kaijus and robots in PACIFIC RIM. This film is not simply a film to be respected, but most importantly, it let us dream the future of entertainment movies.

Pacific Rim is the ultimate otaku film that all of us had always been waiting for. Who are you, if you are Japanese and won't watch this? I hope you would accept this inspirational love letter that had traveled across the Pacific, written by Director Guillermo del Toro.

edit: the pic above was drawn by Yoji Shinkawa, art designer and co-director of the Metal Gear series, for the Real 3D launch of the film ^_^

Del Murder
07-14-2013, 05:34 PM
It looks dumb. If you were building robots to kill monsters why would they be humanoid robots? Those aren't really the most effective killing machines are they?

Rantz
07-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Cause PUNCH PUNCH

sharkythesharkdogg
07-14-2013, 07:07 PM
It looks dumb. If you were building robots to kill monsters why would they be humanoid robots? Those aren't really the most effective killing machines are they?

Of course it's silly, that's not the point. It's an homage to the old-school kaiju films, which were never particularly realistic.

Shiny
07-14-2013, 07:35 PM
"THAT'S MY SON. MY SON."

Basically it was dumb as fuck. I will be writing a blog review about this crap. To be honest though the kid in me enjoyed it.

Rantz
07-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Shiny's pregnant???

Sephex
07-14-2013, 11:15 PM
It was a very enjoyable movie. It was an action movie based on a silly premise combining many aspects of monster movies and mech related thing. And it delivers! Sure, some of the acting was a bit cheesy, and the story is pretty basic, but that's not why you are watching this movie. I guess it was refreshing for me because it was an original film (though based off of many things like I just said), and a fun summer movie that was lighthearted and beautiful, without using special effects where it feels like the animators were just jingling keys in your face despite the fact that there was a heavy use of them. In this day and age, that's tough to pull off.

Ouch!
07-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Pacific Rim was one of the worst movies I've paid money to see in a very long time.

I enjoyed every moment of it.

DMKA
07-15-2013, 02:05 AM
It was like Transformers: Dark of the Moon meets the live-action 1999 Godzilla movie, except way better than either.

Very entertaining brainless fun.

CimminyCricket
07-15-2013, 02:06 AM
I can't tell if you all really like it or not. I didn't like what the previews were offering, so I haven't gone to see it yet. :\

DMKA
07-15-2013, 02:09 AM
I can't tell if you all really like it or not. I didn't like what the previews were offering, so I haven't gone to see it yet. :\

Yes, I really did like it, but I know how to go into a theater and watch a ridiculous giant monster/robot explosion fest and enjoy it without expecting plot integrity or a rational macguffin.

That being said, it's getting surprisingly positive reviews from critics. So perhaps there's something more there that people like me fail to notice. :p

CimminyCricket
07-15-2013, 02:28 AM
I don't have a problem watching a bunch of robots exploded or a lack of significant plot integrity. I mean, I did go and see all the Transformers movies. xD If I'll have a good time watching explosions and stuff I think I'll go and see it, I haven't gotten my over the top violence kick in the theatres since Man of Steel didn't deliver the epic city crushing violence I was hoping for.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-15-2013, 02:33 AM
If you actually went to see all the Transformers movies, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think the critics are seeing more to the movie than what is there, they're just giving it good reviews based on what it is supposed to be. A big, cheesy, over-the-top, fantastical, robot/kaiju beat 'em up.

Freya
07-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $38,300,000 41.9%
+ Foreign: $53,000,000 58.1%
= Worldwide: $91,300,000 (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pacificrim.htm)

Pumpkin
07-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Guys you know what would suck?

If the stuff in that movie actually happened.

Shiny
07-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Pacific Rim was one of the worst movies I've paid money to see in a very long time.

I enjoyed every moment of it.
This is basically my exact reaction. So horrible and I loved it.

New guilty pleasure movie with The Room now coming in a close second, but I am glad I didn't have to pay for it at least.

McLovin'
07-16-2013, 01:48 AM
Someone should dub over all the fight scenes with some especially epic music. Hans Zimmer style or something. OR just some dubstep. Imagine it and you know i'm right.

Maybe even do some voiceovers for the monsters...

Shaibana
07-17-2013, 06:48 PM
im not that interested in it..
ill see it sooner or later ^^

Kossage
07-18-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm interested in seeing this on the big screen once it comes over here. Guillermo del Toro has yet to let me down; even though the film's plot, characterization and such seems average based on the reviews I've read, the battles and visual effects should at least keep my interest. From the clips I've seen of the interviews and the film itself, it seems del Toro has brought in his enthusiasm and exctement to the film. He had it right when he said that in many films the sense of adventure has been lacking lately, so I hope I'll get a good dose of that once I see it.

What kind of surprised me was the music by Ramin Djawadi. Sure, it's nothing compared to the mastery of the likes of John Williams or David Arnold, but Djawadi still approached the subject matter in a surprisingly intelligent way (something I never expected from him since his prior scores have been rather lackluster) by weaving in several themes for the characters (Jaegers, Kaiju and humans). The main theme (which acts more like a medley of the multitude of themes) s also a wonderful throwback to the catchy themes of yesteryear with some ball-busting activity. Hopefully the score will work well in the film, and I sincerely hope this is a time for Djawadi to finally spread his wings and go out of his comfort zone. :)

Shorty
07-18-2013, 09:55 PM
otter I see this? Part of me is super excited about the kaiju resurrection but another half of me knows it will probably be shit and would prefer to watch old Godzilla movies on a bigscreen instead. :colbert:

Ouch!
07-19-2013, 02:06 AM
If you're going for giant robots punching giant monsters, you're not going to be disappointed.

Old Manus
07-21-2013, 05:47 PM
I know I'm too old for these films when all I can do is wonder how many innocent civilians get killed whenever a block of apartments gets hit by a swinging robot arm, and how local councils can afford to repair the tremendous structural damage to their local facilities and amenities.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-21-2013, 06:27 PM
I know I'm too old for these films when all I can do is wonder how many innocent civilians get killed whenever a block of apartments gets hit by a swinging robot arm, and how local councils can afford to repair the tremendous structural damage to their local facilities and amenities.

I've been thinking that watching these movies since I was a little kid. It's still good fun.

krissy
07-21-2013, 08:24 PM
i enjoyed it, but lame that it failed the betchel test
good character design
bad character development
too much crap flying sometimes to know what's going on which is a shame in all these action flicks nowadays
less camera shaking more wide shots i always say

charliepanayi
07-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Most films fail the Bechdel test. And I'd rather a film have virtually no female roles than actively bad ones.

Shaibana
07-21-2013, 08:39 PM
bechdel test? what is that?

i saw the movie yesterday! its an ok movie ^^ nothing too good, nothing too bad

though i found those 2 stereotypical nerd characters (those scientist) highly annoying

charliepanayi
07-21-2013, 08:44 PM
The Bechdel Test asks whether a work of fiction features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man.

Bechdel test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_test)

Iceglow
07-22-2013, 02:41 AM
I need to go see this, undecided if it's going to be the live action version of Neon Genesis or the live action of Front Mission....

krissy
07-22-2013, 12:34 PM
it's more like eva than front mission

Shaibana
07-22-2013, 04:40 PM
The Bechdel Test asks whether a work of fiction features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man.

Bechdel test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_test)

thats stupid :l

Shauna
07-22-2013, 04:42 PM
It's stupid that such a thing has to exist, but it's just sad the number of films/etc fail it.

I think we're maybe gonna see Pacific Rim this week. I am excited.

Shaibana
07-22-2013, 04:53 PM
has to exist?
it doesnt need to excist :S is anyone really bothered with filsm that dont pass this so called test?? :l

charliepanayi
07-22-2013, 05:25 PM
It's pointing out the dearth of good female roles in cinema - don't you find it depressing how many films only have female characters in the context of looking for a man?

Pumpkin
07-22-2013, 05:32 PM
It's never bothered me in action movies. The things are so cheesy. It's random explosions and destruction, probably a cool vehicle of some sort at some point, attractive one dimensional (at most two dimensional) women, and the hot, somewhat arrogant and cocky guy who always gets said hot woman, or women even.

It's like the formula for action movies. Now if they did that in like a rom com, I would care more.

Maybe I just don't care about that stuff enough :P. Its a movie, I watch it and I enjoy it or don't.

charliepanayi
07-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Well I got a bit off-topic with it, I wasn't really criticising Pacific Rim for it, just the fact it crops up so often in films.

Raistlin
07-22-2013, 05:51 PM
has to exist?
it doesnt need to excist :S is anyone really bothered with filsm that dont pass this so called test?? :l

Any given film? No. But the sheer volume of films that fail it points to the incredible lack of significant female characters, and how dependent those that do exist are on the more central male characters. Films teach us that women are there for eye candy and being a love interest for the lead male, and not much else.

Anyway, I actually wasn't going to see this, but the positive reviews have inspired me to see this in theaters, probably later this week.

Freya
07-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Do it wes! It's just a big fun action flick. When you think of big robot battles don't think of stupid micheal bay transformers ones. THIS is how they should be done.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Yeah, Wes, I agree. If you go into understanding that it's a tribute to old-school kaiju films you probably won't be disappointed. The whole point is to go watch big robots slug it out with big monsters across sprawling cityscapes. Everything else is there to (barley) provide a story and motive for the fights to take place.

The two main things Del Toro improved upon were special effects, and musical score. (Not that the latter was a big deal, it's just hard not to have a better soundtrack than those 60's movies.

A lot of the draw of the older ones is how cheesy the special effects are, so you either get this film or you don't. The cheesiness is still there, but not in the same way. It will still probably come across as trying too hard to be serious for some people.

yukina
07-29-2013, 04:08 PM
I actually liked this film because it gave me Evangelion and Gundam feels :)). That, and watching huge robots slug it out is oddly satisfying after a stressful day.