PDA

View Full Version : The non-meetup thread

Raistlin
07-14-2013, 06:03 AM
Post here if you don't want to go anywhere near any of these freaks.

Actual topic that Sarah is making me have: do you avoid big meetups? I think most everyone here has gotten close enough to certain individuals to be willing or eager to meet up with them, but how do you feel about bigger meetups with more people you may not know very well? Would you be more or less likely to go to those?

LocoColt04
07-14-2013, 06:06 AM
Honestly, I'd be MORE likely to go to a bigger meetup because I'd feel more comfortable in a larger group of strangers than a tiny group of strangers.

Shorty
07-14-2013, 06:10 AM
I am posting here because I don't want to go near Wesley.

Big meetups with people I don't know very well would probably make me uncomfortable, but I feel like underlying specific of having EoFF in common would make it a little easier for me to feel comfortable and open up. Meeting up with atleast an acquaintance would probably be better than meeting up with a stranger.

Rantz and I met up with Marshall Banana, Necronopticus and Kawaii Ryukishi in California a couple years ago - three people I have had very to little interaction with over the years. We went to lunch and got boba tea and it was actually great, even though we had never really spoken or anything before!

NeoCracker
07-14-2013, 07:35 AM
None of you fuckers deserve to be graced by my presences. :colbert:

Something has always come up each time I was planning to go to one. :(

escobert
07-14-2013, 07:38 AM
I would go to a small one with certain people.

Aulayna
07-14-2013, 08:34 AM
I'd sooner go for a smaller one before a bigger one.

I could probably also have phrased that better...

Pike
07-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Damn straight I avoid big meetups.

Although me/Hux/Dak was pretty great.

Parker
07-14-2013, 10:38 AM
If one was really close I'd go to a bigger meetup, but I wouldn't go out of my way except for the people I know fairly well.

Jinx
07-14-2013, 11:12 AM
There are a ton of people I'd love to meet up with here. And to be honest, as active as I am, any active member who was going would be someone I knew well enough to not feel uncomfortable hanging out with.

Denmark
07-14-2013, 11:51 AM
None of the meetups I've been to have been "big". I've met like 4 people at one time from here max, I think? Is that a "big meetup" :confused:

I've preferred the one-on-one meetups I've had, but there's more reasons for that besides it just being one person.

noxious.sunshine
07-14-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm a bit apprehensive about it, tbh. Even though the SE meet up was a collective idea among several of us (we just made Shion make the thread XDD), the thought of meeting new people that I've known online kind of scares me. I think like if I were to hang out with a couple of people individually first - like Will, tavaryn, and maybe Laddy 'cuz they're the closest to me - and I were to manage becoming good friends with them IRL as well as online, I'd be more likely to go to a bigger meet up. That whole buddy system thing like Formy kind of mentioned in the Guidebook thread. Because that way, if things were to get awkward at some point, I'd at least have someone to fall back on kinda.

Also with bigger groups, people tend to pair off, which can be off-putting.

Shiny
07-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I always get sick a few days before I am supposed go to them it's really annoying. Happened with the NYC and the Washington D.C. one. I think I am not opposed to big meetups as long as we are just going to public places. If I feel more comfortable with an EoFFer I may go to their home, but I will still have anxiety about it until I get there and see that they are definitely not doing weird skat trout or serial killers.

noxious.sunshine
07-14-2013, 01:30 PM
lmao yeah. Def public places. Like. I totes think it'd be -so much fun- to get like adjoining motel rooms and have a big slumber party.

Formalhaut
07-14-2013, 01:38 PM
I'd sooner go for a smaller one before a bigger one.

I could probably also have phrased that better...

More or less this. While I wouldn't be against a larger meet-up, I'd be alot more comfortable meeting just one or two EoFFers.

Not that this particularly affects me as everyone lives so far away, but you know.

Shauna
07-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Dunno. I think they all have their merits. :3 Large groups means I get to meet a lot of you nerds, but smaller ones means there's more time for actual... relationship development. More quiet time for those there. But yes, I would go to a big one, and I'd also go for a smaller one. ~shrug~

Gzussaves
07-14-2013, 03:49 PM
being that i live in the middle of nowhere it makes it would be difficult for me to make it to any meetup XD, but as long as i somewhat knew at least one person that was there in the crowd i think i would feel comfortable, big or small doesnt matter (giggity)

Shorty
07-14-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't care about this public places stuff. Yeah, I'll just walk right on into your home if you invite me.

Pumpkin
07-15-2013, 03:47 AM
I'll meet people I've been talking to for a while.

I flew 1000 miles to stay in the home of a man I had never met before (sharky) so that shows my level of comfort.

Araciel
07-15-2013, 03:50 AM
Dude for real, I've met almost all of the eoffers I want to meet.

There's like two more on my list.

fire_of_avalon
07-15-2013, 04:45 AM
OUCH ARACIEL. OUCH.

I haven't met any of you but I would like to meet more of you.

Pheesh
07-15-2013, 07:14 AM
I actual like big gatherings/parties/social events, so it would be right up my alley. But the smaller meetups that I've had were good too. I'm hoping that the tentative plan for an Australia meetup comes to fruition.

Jowy
07-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Dude for real, I've met almost all of the eoffers I want to meet.

There's like two more on my list.

Come out and see me sometime!

Meetups are fun and and create unforgettable memories.

Jiro
07-15-2013, 08:05 AM
I love meeting you people. Big groups or small groups or one-on-one - it's all good to me. The smaller the group, the better I get to know your weird in-person habits of course :greenie: But seriously, I've not met someone I didn't enjoy hanging out with, and I've never been concerned about any of you being too weird or whatever.

I mean, I happily met Roogle and most of you think he's a bot. You're all missin' out though.

Freya
07-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Public places work so much better for myself. When I met Del it scared the crap out of me. I've shown my face before so I was recognizable but I had no idea what he looked like so when someone came up to me in a very populated city saying "kaycee?" It spooked me at first. Not that he's scary or anything (he's super scary) but just when you don't know someone even by how they look, it's a little, well, spooky! So when it comes to meetups where I might not know all the faces, I'd rather be some where in public. You lot are creepy! (specially shorty, she was wearing heels when I met her, who does that?)

If i'm on a level of wanting to meet just one person, I'm more likely to meet them. As a group it tends to be people I don't know as well so i'm less likely to meet them. Doing new things is scary.

Loony BoB
07-15-2013, 02:07 PM
I get kind of annoyed at larger meetups because there is no room to get to talk to everyone enough to really get to know them. Any more than four people and I really do prefer it to be over 24 hours, preferably a full week. I'm perhaps odd that way, but I adore actually getting to know people rather than just having a dinner or something. If I had my way, I'd spend multiple days with loads of you lot just so I could get to know you properly.

Denmark
07-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Back in January I met up with a LOT of friends from a different online community. It was good that I had met people from the internet before, talked to the majority of these folks before so I knew what their voices sounded like, and actually knew what a good chunk of them looked like too so it was easier to recognize people without just going around and looking at nametags. I think that meetup was better for that particular group, since it was a large planned event, and most of my contact/conversations with these friends had been about our shared interest and not really so much about more personal stuff like we talk about here at EoFF. It was better to just go hang out with a bunch of nerds and be nerds for a week rather than try to have a small meetup or a one-on-one thing with people that I like but don't really know all that well.

So there are benefits to large meetups too. But it's gotta be in the right context, imo.

Chris
07-15-2013, 02:41 PM
I would love to go to a meetup, but I would prefer it if it meant that I got to meet people that I've actually had something do with over the years.

I'd love to hangout with Sam, Sarah, Jordan, Megan, Daniel and the likes! Could be so much fun. I'd take you all to gay clubs, and make you wear funny outfits.

Yar
07-15-2013, 04:45 PM
I prefer one-on-one hang outs. Going to an EoFF meetup would probably freak me out and I wouldn't go unless someone I knew well was going.

All of the meet ups I've had so far were organized privately :)

Old Manus
07-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Call me when the Cardiff meetup happens.

I'll make sure I go to work that morning

Calliope
07-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Meetups don't phase me because if I'm uncomfortable, I can just leave and not have to see anyone ever again. I am told that my husband and I are markedly different from our online personas, but I'm not sure that I would agree.

Pike
07-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I am told that my husband and I are markedly different from our online personas

I wonder if I fit that category too

I probably do seeing as in person I just straight up never talk.

Rebellious Eagle
07-15-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm a lot different online than in person too. I'm pretty shy in person but once you get to know me I'm really fun and open and make a lot of inappropriate jokes. I'm pretty sure I don't come across like that on here though :|

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-15-2013, 06:22 PM
I would rather a small to medium group if I were to go to a meet-up though I have only met online friends in one-on-one situations, not large groups.

Shorty
07-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Public places work so much better for myself. When I met Del it scared the crap out of me. I've shown my face before so I was recognizable but I had no idea what he looked like so when someone came up to me in a very populated city saying "kaycee?" It spooked me at first. Not that he's scary or anything (he's super scary) but just when you don't know someone even by how they look, it's a little, well, spooky! So when it comes to meetups where I might not know all the faces, I'd rather be some where in public. You lot are creepy! (specially shorty, she was wearing heels when I met her, who does that?)

If i'm on a level of wanting to meet just one person, I'm more likely to meet them. As a group it tends to be people I don't know as well so i'm less likely to meet them. Doing new things is scary.

Ha ha! To throw you off, nerd!

But no, I was wearing a skirt and heels were appropriate. :colbert: Plus I can use them to gouge the eyes out of any miscreants who attack me in the middle of the night on my way back to my car if need be (although thankfully that wasn't the case because Murder and Miriel were kind enough to walk me mostly back to the lot).

Chris
07-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Sarah, I want to meet you 'cuz I love you :( not because I have homicide in mind (right away).

Shorty
07-15-2013, 06:35 PM
I have a concerning feeling you are going to go Hannibal on me.

(But I'd love to meet you, darling :love:)

Miriel
07-15-2013, 07:35 PM
I've done some pretty big meetups for other online groups I'm part of. Like... 100+ people. Those are always hard, because you basically just stick with one or two buddies and create a protective little circle around yourself.

I prefer meeting people in small groups. One on one isn't really ideal for me either, but definitely better than meeting in a bigger group. I think the best would be meeting maybe 2-3 people at a time.

I am told that my husband and I are markedly different from our online personas, but I'm not sure that I would agree.

I think I'm fairly different offline. I wonder if I surprise people sometimes. :p

Shorty
07-15-2013, 07:38 PM
You surprised me! You used to intimidate the hell out of me, but you're a smiley little sweet thing who I just want to hug.

I feel like Nicky is exactly the same online and off. So, awesome.

Pheesh
07-15-2013, 07:47 PM

Ha ha! To throw you off, nerd!

But no, I was wearing a skirt and heels were appropriate. :colbert: Plus I can use them to gouge the eyes out of any miscreants who attack me in the middle of the night on my way back to my car if need be (although thankfully that wasn't the case because Murder and Miriel were kind enough to walk me mostly back to the lot).

The 'destroyer of worlds' heels you wear are never appropriate... In any situation... Ever

Shorty
07-15-2013, 07:48 PM
They are appropriate for me to stomp on your stupid face with.

Pheesh
07-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Too bad for you I can hear you coming from a mile away whenever you're wearing them. It's like that scene in Jurassic Park with the cup of water!

Shorty
07-15-2013, 07:55 PM
CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

Okay, back on topic.

Calliope
07-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Clack clack clack clack fyi you shouldn't have to justify your clothing choices to anyone!

:hat:

El Spuuko says I've brainwashed everyone circa 2002 into thinking I'm "quirky". In recent years, I've probably given the impression that I spend all day crying and eating kale. It's funny what we let people see, and what we have no control over.