PDA

View Full Version : Choose!!!!!!!! (So Delicious)

Chris
07-15-2013, 11:51 PM
"Normal" food thread, so choose your favorite fish sauce! :choose:

http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/images/fish-sauce.jpg

Shorty
07-15-2013, 11:55 PM
I use the second from the left to make Thai with.

Miriel
07-16-2013, 12:00 AM
I use the Viet Huong one. But I'm generally more partial to oyster sauce.

If you guys want a great fish sauce + Brussels sprouts recipe, this one is amazing: Momofuku's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fish Sauce Vinaigrette (http://food52.com/blog/4857-momofuku-s-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-fish-sauce-vinaigrette)

Pike
07-16-2013, 12:04 AM
Tartar sauce

Shorty
07-16-2013, 12:08 AM
I use the Viet Huong one. But I'm generally more partial to oyster sauce.

If you guys want a great fish sauce + Brussels sprouts recipe, this one is amazing: Momofuku's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fish Sauce Vinaigrette (http://food52.com/blog/4857-momofuku-s-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-fish-sauce-vinaigrette)

Nice! I just bought a bunch of fresh brussels sprouts. I'll see how this goes!

Chris
07-16-2013, 12:13 AM
I use fish sauce instead of salt. It adds saltiness and more flavor. Whenever you make noodles of ANY kind, be sure to mix a little fish sauce in there to give it some color and strengthened taste.

Jinx
07-16-2013, 02:04 AM
You know, I've never used fish sauce. How different is it from soy sauce?

Formalhaut
07-16-2013, 02:19 AM
Oh my word, Chris contributing in a positive fashion in the food forum! Who knew! ;)

I've never used fish sauce either, so I guess I'm asking the same question as Sam here.

Flaming Ice
07-16-2013, 03:24 AM
You know, I've never used fish sauce. How different is it from soy sauce?

Made from fermented fish.

I've only used it in school....smells terrible...

Fish sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce)

noxious.sunshine
07-16-2013, 08:26 AM
I think we have some fish sauce, but I don't use it. I'm not experienced with any kind of asian cooking unless it's rolling sushi or frying up some tempura.

Off question: What the hell is Calamansi, Chris? We have a huge ass bottle of soy sauce with calamansi and a packet of dried calamansi, but IDK wtf it is.

Miriel
07-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Fish sauce smells terrible, but the taste is way more subtle. People describe it as basically being a flavor enhancer as opposed to a strong flavor in itself. It's mostly just a unique salty/savory flavor that makes things taste... asian-y.

Pike
07-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Oh I thought we were talking about sauce that you put on fish.

I have no idea what this "fish sauce" is that you guys are discussing xD

Jinx
07-16-2013, 12:09 PM
I've seen it at Thai places I've gone to, but never tried it. While I'm generally not opposed to trying new foods, I didn't want to put a sauce I didn't like on top of my noodles, as it's harder to get off!

But yeah, I'll try it if I ever get another chance.

Pumpkin
07-16-2013, 01:17 PM
I have never had any of these.

Shorty
07-16-2013, 05:06 PM
I've seen it at Thai places I've gone to, but never tried it. While I'm generally not opposed to trying new foods, I didn't want to put a sauce I didn't like on top of my noodles, as it's harder to get off!

I've never seen it at Thai restaurants; it's cooked into the dishes, usually. Thai curry just does not taste the same without fish sauce.

Jinx
07-16-2013, 06:44 PM

I've never seen it at Thai restaurants; it's cooked into the dishes, usually. Thai curry just does not taste the same without fish sauce.

If that's the case, I've probably had it and didn't even know it. I love Thai food, especially Thai curry.

But no, the one restaurant I always went to had it on the table next to the soy sauce!

Miriel
07-16-2013, 06:48 PM
It's definitely not something I would recommend using as a condiment. It's more of an ingredient. Like chicken stock or rice vinegar, a flavoring agent.

Jinx
07-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Ah, see! It's good I know that, then. :) That's why I was always really cautious with it. I only like soy sauce while I'm cooking or with my sushi. Any other time it grosses me out, and I was afraid of the same thing with fish sauce.

Shorty
07-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Yeah, do not go squirting this stuff on top of your already-cooked meals xD

Chris
07-17-2013, 12:24 AM
Yeah, do not go squirting this stuff on top of your already-cooked meals xD
That is a lie, and it can be used as a drink under certain circumstances.

Shorty
07-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Nope. Ruined it. As always. Not surprised. Going to throw up.

Flaming Ice
07-20-2013, 04:29 AM

Just ask for a side plate and try it that way.

Shlup
07-20-2013, 05:22 AM
I've only had the first one, and I've only ever put it on scrambled eggs.