PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Foods

Shorty
07-16-2013, 01:46 AM
What's the most exotic food you've tried? I think we can all appreciate that we vary in cultures and regions, so keep in mind that what is exotic to one person may not be to another. But if anyone says something like "cheeseburger lol" I will beat you.

Escargot is probably it for me. It tasted like a seasoned balloon.

Jinx
07-16-2013, 01:57 AM
cheeseburger lol

noxious.sunshine
07-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Sea Urchin,

Tripas (tripe - intestines), Grilled Stomach, Tongue & Heart - all from a cow. Birria (goat), Barbecoa (it's how they refer to the cheeks from some animal. Can't remember which one though. Either cow or goat)..

Uh. They tried to get me to try Menudo but hell to the no. Pig feet and ish? I'm good. My ex likes pickled pigs' ears

Chris
07-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Corn Dog. Grossness beyond belief.

Miriel
07-17-2013, 02:06 AM
I had giblets the other which is pretty exotic for me. I was good!

And... foie gras? It's illegal here in California now, so I guess that's pretty exotic.

fire_of_avalon
07-17-2013, 03:43 AM
....you're gonna be so mad. But octopus.

Shorty
07-17-2013, 03:44 AM
;__________________________________________________________;

Pumpkin
07-17-2013, 03:47 AM
Do grits count?

Shorty
07-17-2013, 03:49 AM
No.

Pumpkin
07-17-2013, 03:49 AM
:cry:

noxious.sunshine
07-17-2013, 05:58 AM
foie gras is illegal now in Cali? For what reason?

I've never had it, though.

Oh! Fried alligator tail (YUM!), and I loooooove fried frog legs. Delicioso.. Damnit. Now I need to go to Toots and get some.

I wanna try Fugu (blowfish). I hear that if it's not cut right, you could die. Sushi chefs in Japan have to get specially certified to be able to do it, I've been told.

Miriel
07-17-2013, 08:10 AM
foie gras is illegal now in Cali? For what reason?

Well to be clear, it's a ban on the production and sale of foie gras. So you can still import it and eat it and give it away as gifts. You just can't produce it and restaurants/stores can't sell it. There were tons of foie gras parties that happened right before the ban took effect where people just gorged themselves on foie gras.

I think the reasoning is that the method needed to create foie gras is inherently cruel. It's basically force feeding a duck until the liver becomes all big and tasty.

noxious.sunshine
07-17-2013, 10:15 AM
wait a minute.

Seriously!?

They force feed cows corn instead of whatever they normally eat, they put calves in small boxes to keep the muscles soft to produce veal, they feed chickens (& cows) hormones to fatten them up.

That sounds so contradictory to me....

Loony BoB
07-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Meat-wise, I've been to a Mongolian restaurant and I can't remember the different kinds of food I tried, but I'm pretty sure they included alligator, zebra, snake, gazelle, stuff like that.

Non-meats... hard to say, really. What's exotic these days? Growing up in NZ, it seemed like we tried every kind of food under the sun. In the UK, they have a lot of foreign influence, too. I always feel certain fruits are rather exotic, if anything. Things like feijoa would be exotic to most of you, and in NZ I always loved eating passionfruit and I have no idea where it came from but it just felt so exotic.

Inferno
07-17-2013, 02:43 PM
kangaroo souvlaki

Shlup
07-19-2013, 05:49 AM
I eat a lot of non-American food so I don't know what's exotic, so I'm going to go with Japanese Shakey's pizza! They put mayo on that shit.

Iceglow
07-22-2013, 02:45 AM
This for me is more of a what would I not eat sort of thing. I've eaten the following:

- Toasted Crickets
- Alligator
- Giant African Ants
- Snake
- Scorpion
- Horse meat (intentionally)
- Puffer Fish
- Bison
- Kangaroo
- Camel
- Various exotic fruit and veg

So yeah take your pick.

yukina
08-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Hmm, it's pretty normal here but a lot of people would probably find it exotic so I would have to say balut which is a technically a baby duck inside the egg. And grilled intestines. And cow brains with mayonnaise. :D