PDA

View Full Version : wine service!

Jowy
07-17-2013, 07:30 AM
A proper wine service will set the course for an excellent meal when dining out. Do you enjoy a glass with dinner when applicable? What's your preferred pairing? I'm rather fond of a nice cool glass of riesling alongside grilled halibut or shellfish.

Miriel
07-17-2013, 08:14 AM
I went out to dinner a few days ago and the table decided to get a bottle of wine to go with our dinner. The cheapest wine was $40. :( The cheapest! I mean... you can get like a dozen cheeseburgers for that price!

I really only like the cheap cheap wine. The two buck chucks and whatnot.

And honestly, if I had the choice, I would skip any alcohol in lieu of more food and desserts.

noxious.sunshine
07-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Here's the thing... Bottle Service when you work in a restaurant can be a mofo. Scraping the wax/whatever off of the bottle and then having to uncork the bottle at the table and pour a "sample glass" for each person so that they can try it & make sure it tastes ok... It can be time consuming. And then if the guests decide they don't like it (I've never had that happen, so I don't know the protocol for it)..

Aside from that, alcohol in a higher-scale restaurant is usually grossly overpriced. Especially wine. That $40 you spent on a bottle in the restaurant probably only costs about $15 - $20 in a liquor store. Granted in "cheaper" places - like Logan's Roadhouse, they have happy hour and you can get a glass of uh. like. White Zin (Gag me now) for $2.

Shorty
07-17-2013, 06:16 PM
I went out to dinner a few days ago and the table decided to get a bottle of wine to go with our dinner. The cheapest wine was $40. :( The cheapest! I mean... you can get like a dozen cheeseburgers for that price!

I really only like the cheap cheap wine. The two buck chucks and whatnot.

And honestly, if I had the choice, I would skip any alcohol in lieu of more food and desserts.

YES. Black Swan wine forever. $3-$4 a bottle. I can't tell the difference between expensive wines and cheap wines.

You should have seen Philip dragging me around the store trying to find wine.

Rantz
07-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Here's the thing... Bottle Service when you work in a restaurant can be a mofo. Scraping the wax/whatever off of the bottle and then having to uncork the bottle at the table and pour a "sample glass" for each person so that they can try it & make sure it tastes ok... It can be time consuming. And then if the guests decide they don't like it (I've never had that happen, so I don't know the protocol for it)..

From what I've understood, that's only to make sure the wine isn't damaged by a bad cork or otherwise off, not to make sure the guest likes it. Of course, many restaurants would probably bring out a new wine regardless, if you were bold enough to ask for it.

Wine is my life elixir and in most cases my drink of choice.

Shorty
07-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Oh man, babe! That coffee wine!

Rantz
07-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Oh man, babe! That coffee wine!

Coffee Pinotage! Yeah, that was a good one :jess:

Shorty
07-17-2013, 07:35 PM
I want some now ;-;

Denmark
07-17-2013, 07:37 PM
keep your spoiled grape juice away from me

Shorty
07-17-2013, 07:38 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6c8toaQkW1ryj6qoo1_500.gif

Obey Cary Grant and exit this thread. :colbert:

noxious.sunshine
07-17-2013, 09:19 PM
lol That's true. I forgot about the corkage thing. hahaha. But yeah, managers are unlikely to refuse a new bottle of wine.

We used to drink Mad Dog 20/20 in Phoenix.. XDDDDD Banana Red - $3 for a big bottle. Yeah buddy.