PDA

View Full Version : Dynasty Warriors 8

Calliope
07-17-2013, 11:49 PM
We got this yesterday, although I felt bad when we opened the PS3 and the game in there was Dynasty Warriors 7 -_-;;.

Anyway, discuss. Is there any way to enable narration or view killing stats? I would rather ask you guys than ask google or jeeves.

We're not very far into the game, but I'm liking it so far, although there is little chance of me not liking it, to be honest. Thumbs up for the easier horse-riding and the gold pots. I want my second musou attack, though!

Sun Jian is likely to be a favourite this time around, and I'm not sure what I think of Xiahou Dun's new hair (this is important you guys). Huang Gai's surfboard thing is pretty ridiculous, but I'll go with it.

Formalhaut
07-17-2013, 11:59 PM
This is STILL a series!? The last one I played was Dynasty Warriors 5. I'm impressed this is still a thing. From what I remember, I enjoyed it.

But how do they do new stuff for it? How do they still keep it enticing?

Raistlin
07-18-2013, 03:45 AM
I think the last one I played was 3 or so, haha. It was a fun hack-and-slash game, but, like Formy, I don't know what they'd add to the sequels to make me want to keep buying them.

I google'd Huang Gai and by golly, he really does have a surfboard (really a canoe used as a wheel-less skateboard?).

Do they still tell you to avoid Lu Bu? That's really the only specific I remember from the DW series.

Freya
07-18-2013, 05:51 AM
I don't care how many there are I will always play the dynasty warriors game. I just love the hack and slashness. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 is the best recent one.

NeoCracker
07-18-2013, 07:03 AM
First one I ever bought for myself was 5, and I think there are a lot of things it did better then the last three.

I loved having the individual campaigns for each character, since it actually established them all that way. Since then they've kind of dropped that entirely, and you just control specific people throughout the play time, and that takes away from the experience for me.

Jowy
07-18-2013, 11:04 AM
the best summer of my life was spend unlocking smurfing everything in DW4. Zhao Yun + Pang Tong with Red Hare and souped up cavalry men.

Is there online play? I will totally buy this tomorrow morning if so.

NeoCracker
07-18-2013, 11:06 AM
There is!~ Getting it on PS3?

Jowy
07-18-2013, 11:07 AM
yup. dabrowskitron on PSN.

NeoCracker
07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Mines jiggledaddy. :p

Tigmafuzz
07-18-2013, 11:44 AM
I love all the Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, and Warriors Orochi series, even if some of them are a bit slow; in Warriors Orochi 2, there's a weapon trait called Almighty which basically doubles all of your weapon bonuses when your Musou gauge is full, and if you have 10 Speed bonus already, especially with a fast character, you have to mash the attack button nearly five times per second in order to keep the combo. If you use Sun Wukong with an Almighty 10 Speed weapon, you can breeze through practically any level on Hard mode within two or three minutes.

DW5: Empires and Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 are my favorites :bigsmile:

I'm probably going to actually go out and buy this one for PS3 instead of just downloading it and playing it on my hacked and JTAG'd 360

NeoCracker
07-18-2013, 12:19 PM
For anyone who knows about many of the characters, this will be amusing.

The Conquest mode allows you to use generals of note, anyone playable really, to oversea different facilities. I currently have Sima Yi watching over the teahouse. XD

Spuuky
07-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Do they still tell you to avoid Lu Bu? That's otterly the only specific I remember from the DW series.They only tell you to avoid Lu Bu during the battle at Hu Lao Gate, which we have not played in this game because it truly has nothing to do with the faction we're currently playing.

Also, anyone who has played only DW2-5 is encouraged to play DW8, to see how significantly it has changed while retaining the same core gameplay.

Formalhaut
07-18-2013, 06:33 PM
One thing I do remember from the DW series is the many ludicrous criteria to unlock rare accessories and 4th and 5th tier weapons. I pretty much had to use a guide to know the ins and outs of that!

Also: Hard mode. Dear god. I sucked playing Hard Mode. All the enemies block and even the grunt privates trim off a sizeable chunk of your health bar! Sheeesh. I could never play on Hard Mode.

Vyk
07-18-2013, 07:40 PM
I quit after DW4. Tried 6. It was terrible. Then I got a girlfriend, who adored the series. And we've playd 7 Empires, and she too just acquired 8. And it looks extremely fun. They're both worth the purchase just for the nostalgia and mindless fun you get out of them. And depending on the mode, they can be a tad deeper than one might expect. And they're top-notch for couch-co-op fun times

Calliope
07-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Lu Bu killed me today D:

As it turns out, you have to play through the campaign once before unlocking a series of objectives and extra stages, and completing those will unlock more characters and items, etc.

Flaming Ice
07-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Are they going to do that two disc nonsense again though?

I didn't get 7 because of that...

WildRaubtier
07-20-2013, 05:31 AM
Two disc nonsense? You mean putting in your vanilla DW7 disc to play those levels on DW7XL?

Yes.

WildRaubtier
07-20-2013, 05:36 AM
Honestly, 7 was a bit of a let down. However, from what I've read, 8 has a system like 4's (the best in the series, easily) where the outcomes of one battle can influence what happens in the next. I can't imagine 8 drops 7's linear battle style but dangit it wants to try.

Hollycat
07-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Questions;
Are the graphics way better now?
Does everyone have their own moveset?
Does bao still make cat faces?

If the answer to any of these is no, I'm waiting till it's $30 or less.

Flaming Ice
07-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Two disc nonsense? You mean putting in your vanilla DW7 disc to play those levels on DW7XL?

Yes.

Yeah, you buy 1 game in two separate ways....don't like it -.-

WildRaubtier
07-21-2013, 02:18 AM
It's no different from any other expansion pack.

Flaming Ice
07-21-2013, 02:23 AM
It's no different from any other expansion pack.

Yes, but from what I've read, they should have added that stuff to the main game and did something else for an expansion.

Psychotic
07-21-2013, 10:26 AM
I thought 7 was fantastic and 6 was the letdown. I'm on the fence about 8 though, I haven't sampled it yet but I think I will soon.

Spuuky
07-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Questions;

If the answer to any of these is no, I'm waiting till it's $30 or less.I don't know if she does, since I haven't unlocked her yet; but everyone has their own moveset (actually for the first time in the entire history for the series, although everyone always had their own Musou). The graphics are pretty much the same as 7.

Calliope
07-23-2013, 09:52 PM
However, from what I've read, 8 has a system like 4's (the best in the series, easily) where the outcomes of one battle can influence what happens in the next.

This is true, and thus far has lead to some exciting developments. I can't report on what mounts we get yet though. My love for twin axes will never die.

Definitely give it a shot, Psychotic.

Del Murder
07-30-2013, 05:46 AM
I've never played a DW game. In fact I'm so distanced from this series that DW is Dragon Warrior to me.

Are these games fun? What are they like?

Raistlin
07-30-2013, 05:55 AM
b9yXX9q7bMM

It's a hack-and-slash game where you run around kicking ass as ancient Chinese warriors in contexts based loosely on Chinese history and legend. The last game I played in the series (DW4, or around there) was pretty good for some mindless fun. Also, some games in the series apparently have more story elements to them, such as your conduct and success in one battle influencing future events. But mostly, it's about slashing things.

DK
07-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Me and James have been playing this recently in Japanese, which is a hilarious combination of him trying to read the ancient era Kanji and understand the comedy old language when they speak and me using my vast love and obsession for the series and the novel to try and work out where the hell we are from the characters and map alone. Together we're just about getting through it. My preferences and prejudices rarely change in this series and I doubt they will now, Jia Xu is a badman still, Guan Yu and Zhang Liao always inspire awe, Sun Quan is still the biggest ponce in the series and it still gives me a rage boner when I get to murder him on the battlefield.

Hollycat
07-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Questions;

If the answer to any of these is no, I'm waiting till it's $30 or less.I don't know if she does, since I haven't unlocked her yet; but everyone has their own moveset (actually for the first time in the entire history for the series, although everyone always had their own Musou). The graphics are pretty much the same as 7.
'

..... That's good to know, but They've had unique movesets in most of the games.

Spuuky
07-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Questions;

'

..... That's good to know, but They've had unique movesets in most of the games.They mostly have, but there have always been a few exceptions in each game; usually involving a spear or sword. In this game, they get truly... unique.

Hollycat
07-30-2013, 07:46 PM
So final verdict: better than WO2 or way worse than WO2?

Spuuky
07-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Regrettably WO2 is one of the few games I've actually entirely missed playing, so I'm afraid I can't help you with that. I'd say it's definitively better than previous Dynasty Warriors games, but that's all I can say.

Polnareff
08-01-2013, 01:15 AM
The best part of the game is.....the officer named Dong Tuna.

And apparently, there is a guy named He Man in the game too, who I haven't come across yet.

But yeah, Dong Tuna. :jess:

Hollycat
08-01-2013, 01:59 AM
That officer used to be named Dong Tu Ne. Pronounced exactly the dirty way it sounds.

Vyk
08-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Speaking of which. That kind of stuff is happening to tons of the main characters. Throughout the series they've been slowly correcting the spelling and pronunciation mistakes they've made in the past. And while I have no idea how some of that stuff is supposed to be pronounced. I imagine this one comes the closest to how things are supposed to be spelled and pronounced. Even still, it drives my girlfriend nuts sometimes with the things they've change. The one guy called Taishi chi or whatever, they say the Tai Shi part just like it looks like it should be pronounced. But the Chi has always been pronounced just like it looks as well; until this game. Where they give it a heavy SUH instead. Taishi SUH! Every chance they get. You can tell its not natural for them to say either. But they're trying. You may either respect the effort, or be grated by the changes

Calliope
12-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Uhh, so this is happening, wii fans... (http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/12/18/nintendo-unveils-new-wii-u-zelda-title-hyrule-warriors/)

Elskidor
12-18-2013, 09:03 PM
It looks cool and I'll probably give a shot one day, but the reason why I liked Dynasty Warriors was that it was based on a piece of history that I became obsessed with. It inspired me to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms, study ancient Chinese history and watch hundred of hours of movies and tv shows covering this time period. I had once created my own Three Kingdoms portfolio of notes on characters and battles...it really sparked my interest for a long long time. The games were fun too, although I pretty much lost interest around DW 5 I am meaning to pick up DW8 one of these days. I'm sure hack and slash gamer fans will love Link running around tearing up a battlefield, but I'm not in a hurry to get it the day it comes out.