PDA

View Full Version : Pay It Forward

Shorty
07-18-2013, 02:26 AM
Today, at the eleventh hour, I gave my Postal Service tickets away to a complete stranger who thanked me profusely and told me that I made her year. It felt super good to make someone I didn't even know so happy! If someone were to do something like that for me, I wouldn't know how to respond. I probably wouldn't think it was real.

I've been deliberating with this project of doing or saying one thing a day to make a stranger smile. One a day may be too ambitious, but I think I'm going to give it a shot from here on out!

When's the last time you did something nice for someone else without expecting anything in return?

Formalhaut
07-18-2013, 02:30 AM
Today, at the eleventh hour, I gave my Postal Service tickets away to a complete stranger who thanked me profusely and told me that I made her year. It felt super good to make someone I didn't even know so happy! If someone were to do something like that for me, I wouldn't know how to respond. I probably wouldn't think it was real.

I've been deliberating with this project of doing or saying one thing a day to make a stranger smile. One a day may be too ambitious, but I think I'm going to give it a shot from here on out!

When's the last time you did something nice for someone else without expecting anything in return?

Aww that's very sweet of you Shorty! But what are Postal service tickets? Are they like stamps then or? Well, I did give blood earlier in April, and I obviously didn't expect anything in return (unless nearly passing out from climbing stairs afterward was any 'reward') but I really liked doing that. I've got another appointment in August I believe.

I guess for me general acts of kindness involve just being a friendly ear. Hell, even saying a simple hello can make someone feel welcome and included and feeling better.

It's the small things you know?

Shorty
07-18-2013, 02:31 AM
Concert tickets to a live performance, dear - The Postal Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Postal_Service). (give them a listen!)

Definitely, the small things!

Formalhaut
07-18-2013, 02:35 AM
Concert tickets to a live performance, dear - The Postal Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Postal_Service). (give them a listen!)

Definitely, the small things!

Oh... OH their a band!?! I was genuinely thinking it was something to do with the actual post.

Gosh. I feel like a right idiot. :yuck:

EDIT: As an aside, Wow, you gave away tickets to a complete stranger! Wow. Good on you Shorty! And here's everyone thinking you're the ice signature queen.

Shorty
07-18-2013, 02:36 AM
oh hush it up :heart: You didn't know!

Ouch!
07-18-2013, 02:55 AM
I'm still super bummed that I missed them when they were at the Barclays Center, so I hope you're okay knowing that I'm judging the hell out of you for just giving away something that I wanted so much.

Shorty
07-18-2013, 02:56 AM
Shoulda told me, sugar, maybe I'd have bought a ticket for you, too!

Madame Adequate
07-18-2013, 02:57 AM
I bought some games in the sale for Steam friends :3

Scotty_ffgamer
07-18-2013, 06:30 AM
I actually haven't done that much for complete strangers in quite a long time. I used to occasionally go around with a group and do things like rake leaves and such for strangers. I'd also help shovel out people's sidewalks on my grandma's street pretty frequently as a kid.

Now I just buy things frequently for my friends as a means to help cheer them up or just to make their day. I think one of those things was actually Postal Service's album on vinyl. I did have a friend who had talked about how much she loved Tomba when she was younger, and I watched ebay for a long time to find it finally put up for relatively cheap, but I think she thought I bought it to hit on her or something. I still have it because she wouldn't take it, haha.

Jinx
07-18-2013, 09:18 PM
ITT: Everyone is jealous of the stranger in the OP.

Pike
07-24-2013, 10:30 AM
ITT: Everyone is jealous of the stranger in the OP.

Nah, if I'm going to listen to Postal Service I'm going to listen to the furry version (http://lapfox.bandcamp.com/track/such-great-heights-vrc6-arrange).

But that's really awesome of you Sarah :)

Loony BoB
07-24-2013, 11:39 AM
What the hell Sarah sell them for a low price at the very least. :stare: Was something stopping you from being able to use the tickets?

EDIT: I make strangers smile all the time by holding the door for them at work, nodding them ahead of me when getting on a bus, whatever works. I take four buses a day and probably hold about five doors a day for strangers, so I'm pretty sure I work up my daily allotment. I don't know if I would buy them tickets, though!

EDITRA: Oh, but I do nag SE into giving us EU XIV Beta Codes and that seemed to make some people smile, so yay.

Jiro
07-24-2013, 02:10 PM
I make strangers smile all the time by holding the door for them at work, nodding them ahead of me when getting on a bus, whatever works. I take four buses a day and probably hold about five doors a day for strangers, so I'm pretty sure I work up my daily allotment. I don't know if I would buy them tickets, though!

Yeah, I don't know if it's a case of this basic stuff not being extreme enough to count, but you can easily do one nice thing per day.

Psychotic
07-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Given that The Postal Service suck, surely this is a cruel punishment you're inflicting rather than a good deed.

Shorty
07-24-2013, 05:50 PM
You hush it up.

What the hell Sarah sell them for a low price at the very least. :stare: Was something stopping you from being able to use the tickets?

Yeah, Portland was five hours from me and I couldn't afford a road trip nor take one on a Wednesday night.

Flaming Ice
07-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Tried helping someone carry their groceries and they looked at me like some creep and backed away a bit......whatever ...the whole "a man's gonna rape you" mental thing I s'pose......

Chemical
07-24-2013, 09:57 PM
I would let you carry my groceries.

A lady dropped a 50$ note and I jogged it to her up the street. I could have kept it, but I certainly couldn't expect anything back unless I broke it first... that would have been funny.

Dat Matt
07-24-2013, 11:05 PM
I don't tend to go out my way to show great gestures to unknown parties such as giving away concert tickets, but I do tend to let people go in front of me when getting on buses, or letting them have my seats. I did randomly buy donuts for my team at work because I was off for the next 4 days and they weren't.

Edit: Oh I do remember. Last week after walking Shauna to work while I had the day off I saw an older lady trying to walk up some steps with a trolley. I helped her up the stairs and carried her bags!