PDA

View Full Version : Aeris has awesome Limit Breaks

Vermachtnis
07-18-2013, 05:41 AM
So like a long, loooong time ago during my first playthrough I didn't use Aeris all that much. And in every playthrough since then, I never really used her cause I didn't see any point in it. But not that there's an achievement for getting her Level 4 limit, I've been grinding her up and she has some of the best. She can fill up everyone else's limit, has free Esuna, a free heal, can turn everyone invincible. Wish I knew this earlier.

CimminyCricket
07-18-2013, 05:47 AM
In my first play through she was my main gal. I was incredibly depressed when she died. I kept restarting trying to see what I could do to save her.

Pumpkin
07-18-2013, 05:49 AM
I may not have liked the character, but she did indeed have some useful limit breaks :monster:

Mercen-X
07-18-2013, 06:54 AM
The shell of Aerith: No physical strength. Barely impression magic stats. Plot-wise only her death is relevant. LIMIT Breaks are her ONLY redeeming quality. Tifa, on the hand, has TWO. :cool:

Carl the Llama
07-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Barely impression magic stats.

Aeris is lacking in the physical stats, but makes up for it with her high magical stats.

Think that will settle this matter.

Aulayna
07-18-2013, 08:29 AM
The shell of Aerith: No physical strength. Barely impression magic stats. Plot-wise only her death is relevant. LIMIT Breaks are her ONLY redeeming quality. Tifa, on the hand, has TWO. :cool:

Yeah man, 'dem polygons. I like my breasts to look like pyramids.

Raistlin
07-18-2013, 08:32 AM
She is a decent support character, but in a game where you don't really need support characters, I never found her usefulness to outweigh her drawbacks. She shines in longer boss fights, but is a weaker choice for everything in between (and a third strong fighter would make you less likely to need her support in the first place). Combined with the added detriment of everything you do to her being erased after the first disc, as well as my general dislike of her character, and you have me rarely wanting to use her in battle.

MJN SEIFER
07-18-2013, 04:51 PM
I always thought it was interesting how much her Limit Breaks resemble Final Fantasy VIII magic. It's like they watched Aeris when they were planning that game.

Formalhaut
07-18-2013, 07:08 PM
I always used Aerith, mainly because you don't have her forever, but still. Her high magic is awesome. Give her your strongest magic, with an all materia, and she can clear the field in no time. While she is rather fragile at times, what with her low health, Aerith is more than capable of being a damage dealer.

Chris
07-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Can't beat the Materia Keeper without Aeris' Seal Evil. :(

Carl the Llama
07-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Can't beat the Materia Keeper without Aeris' Seal Evil. :(

Really? I always worry I'm going to kill him before he uses trine on me, don't think I have ever had a problem with him.

Mercen-X
07-19-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't even use Aerith in that battle.

Barely impressive magic stats.

Aeris is lacking in the physical stats, but makes up for it with her high magical stats.

Think that will settle this matter.The only one who has a say on this is me. I've used Aeris in combat. I'm not impressed with her magic ability. Lawyered.

noxious.sunshine
07-20-2013, 07:09 AM
She is a decent support character, but in a game where you don't really need support characters, I never found her usefulness to outweigh her drawbacks. She shines in longer boss fights, but is a weaker choice for everything in between (and a third strong fighter would make you less likely to need her support in the first place). Combined with the added detriment of everything you do to her being erased after the first disc, as well as my general dislike of her character, and you have me rarely wanting to use her in battle.

This.

Mercen-X
07-20-2013, 05:37 PM
A remake should seriously fix these issues. Having Aeris in your group should have an impact on the flow of the story even if it doesn't save her life. There should be some motivation for using her other than the fact that you just don't know yet that leveling her up will be useless by the end.

Carl the Llama
07-21-2013, 05:16 PM
I don't even use Aerith in that battle.

Barely impressive magic stats.

Think that will settle this matter.The only one who has a say on this is me. I've used Aeris in combat. I'm not impressed with her magic ability. Lawyered.

You must be a hard man to impress, she kills whatever enemies I use her with when casting, sufficient enough for me to get her limit to at least Fury Brand and make her appearance highly worth while in any boss fight.

Shauna
07-21-2013, 06:24 PM
In my playthrough of FF7, I only had Aeris in my party when she was forced into it, so I don't think I saw any of her Limit Breaks beyond the first one.

comma
07-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Aerith is great simply because she has a healing limit, and it usually comes in handy that it gets executed with priority. Give her some more heals and attack magic, and you have a character you can always use. Her other limits are great, too, yeah.

In the past, I've probably just assembled a party based on attack strength and disregarded the healing, but I also spent a lot of time grinding in the past. In my current playthrough, I've done almost no grinding, so having a healer is nice. I guess I'll have to rely on materia to do all of the healing when she dies.

Carl the Llama
07-22-2013, 02:18 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Sbz8Xlk.jpg

Just going to leave this here, I have JUST got the buggy and without any unnecessary grinding (thanks to the low low encounter rate for Yuffie in the Junon Wooded Area), I have got all her limits before I can ever get a chance to grab Great Gospel, which I might add, I do have the Mithril for: I'm just awaiting for the old man to get back to his shack.

Oh and Beta and Aqualung along with every other available Enemy Skill up to this point is also a very nice bonus when placed on a high magic stat user... like Aerith, who deals between 1200-1500 damage to all opponents with each casting. Bosses get slaughtered within seconds.

Depression Moon
07-22-2013, 02:35 AM
I don't like grinding a lot especially in the beginning of bgames. I usually reserve that for end game, so I've never seen Aeris' limit breaks past the 2nd.

comma
07-22-2013, 01:34 PM
I haven't done any grinding (but I got Yuffie; again, really quickly) and I just got the buggy, and my Aerith is level 21, but I don't have anything past Seal Evil.

Jinx
07-22-2013, 02:23 PM
I hate everything about Aeris except for her character design and her limit breaks.

It actually really sucks when you lose her, because you don't get any more healing limit breaks. :(

Carl the Llama
07-22-2013, 03:02 PM
I don't like grinding a lot especially in the beginning of bgames. I usually reserve that for end game, so I've never seen Aeris' limit breaks past the 2nd.

I didn't grind though, as soon as you leave Midgar you have access to the ES Matra Magic, which kills almost any group of enemies: just have Aerith kill everything and it becomes Par for course. Secondly I have Cloud at his second limit break also without grinding, when you take into consideration that he requires 120 enemies, only a blind man could fail to see that getting her limits is completely par for course.

Lets break it down: she requires 160 kills in total to be able to unlock 2/1 and 3/1 even if you're not going for her 4/1 limit, it seems such a waste NOT to use her if only for her Fury Brand.

Also if you hang around sector 7 just before the plate falls you can get her Striking Staff if you steal it from Eligor, which puts her attack higher then Cloud right up until he gets Hardedge, Barrett until you can steal it from Custom Sweeper (oudside Midgar) and Tifa until you steal it from Madouge (Mithril Mines).

When we take into account how easy Beta is to get as soon as you leave Midgar (yes without grinding it is 100% do able as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_FUCyFclBw ) with Aeriths high magic stat, she goes from being "poor fighter" to boss slaughterer within minutes of leaving Midgar.

People who prioritize attack over magic are going to be spend a great deal longer killing any enemy I mean you run into a group of 5 Cappawire cast matra magic and bam... 5 dead caps or you can attack with Cloud, he does (with hardedge) about 150 damage, they have an HP of 210, now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the math on this one.

I haven't done any grinding (but I got Yuffie; again, really quickly) and I just got the buggy, and my Aerith is level 21, but I don't have anything past Seal Evil.

You were very lucky then lol, I honestly thought the game was broken when I was setting out to get her.

noxious.sunshine
07-22-2013, 03:23 PM
It actually really sucks when you lose her, because you don't get any more healing limit breaks. :(

Not entirely true. Sometimes Cait Sith randomly gets a healing Limit Break. I've had it happen on a few occasions not expecting it. Not a guaranteed thing, but it's happened.

Shauna
07-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Doesn't Yuffie have a healing one?

Raistlin
07-22-2013, 04:56 PM
One of Yuffie's early limit breaks is a healing one that is good in an emergency, but not particularly necessary. The strength in Aerith's limits lies more in the supporting role of her later limits: filling the limit guage of the party (can be a huge game-changer) and casting temporary invincibility.

noxious.sunshine
07-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Yuffie has one too. I forgot. But it's like level 1 isn't it?

I got Yuffie pretty early on too. Ther's a 12% chance you'll run into her in the forests by Ft. Condor ... That's where I got her. You have to answer her questions right though in any first encounter you have with her.

WildRaubtier
07-22-2013, 08:59 PM
To be fair, Aeris will be one of your biggest physical attackers if you're savvy enough to steal a Mythril Staff(?) from the chariot enemy while going through the train graveyard. Cloud gets a similar weapon (Hardedge?) from the SOLDIER: 3rds on the upper floors of the Shinra tower before you get caught.

Carl the Llama
07-22-2013, 10:54 PM
To be fair, Aeris will be one of your biggest physical attackers if you're savvy enough to steal a Mythril Staff(?) from the chariot enemy while going through the train graveyard. Cloud gets a similar weapon (Hardedge?) from the SOLDIER: 3rds on the upper floors of the Shinra tower before you get caught.

Also if you hang around sector 7 just before the plate falls you can get her Striking Staff if you steal it from Eligor, which puts her attack higher then Cloud right up until he gets Hardedge, Barrett until you can steal it from Custom Sweeper (oudside Midgar) and Tifa until you steal it from Madouge (Mithril Mines).

Sephiroth
07-22-2013, 10:56 PM

Just that Aerith leaves you 3 metres later.

Jinx
07-23-2013, 12:13 AM

​3 METRES LATER

Carl the Llama
07-23-2013, 08:36 AM

That is entirely beside the point, the point is she is a viable character for both physical and magical attack when it gets down to it.

In actual fact if you really wanted to use her as an attacker you could get the Umbrella from the Gold Saucer which has an attack power of 58, weapons the likes of which do not have the same attack power till you get to the Icicle Inn so lets think about how long you could have her doing more damage then your average attacker:

Gold Saucer > Desert Prision > Gongaga > Cosmo Canyon > Niblheim > Rocket Town > Wutai *Note: You can get Nanaki's Hairpin which gives him an attack of 57* > Gold Saucer > Temple of the Ancients.

That's right the rest of the game she is in our party, so all this shit about her not being a good fighter is exactly that: shit.

Sephiroth
07-23-2013, 08:37 AM
I hope you know that I know it is not really a measuring unit for time.

And it is not beside the point because you have mentioned she is the strongest attacker until you get Hardedge, Atomic Scissors, et cetera and that was why I wrote it. It is not for long. Plus, the Umbrella is hard to get. I know what Aerith can do and know her weapon list but I have never seen her being prefered over Cloud and the others as attacker for the sole reason that she either is not in your team or the weapon you get for her is not strong enough, to hard to get, et cetera. On top of that the Umbrella has its disadvantage. With her stats and weapons being known it is not necessary to discuss about what she actually is. In fact she is always in my team, while I prefer her as magic user for the sole reason that I give my characters something to do with actually is fitting for them as person. I only talked about a time span and inconvenience when it comes to using her.

Carl the Llama
07-23-2013, 09:51 AM
I hope you know that I know it is not really a measuring unit for time.

And it is not beside the point because you have mentioned she is the strongest attacker until you get Hardedge, Atomic Scissors, et cetera and that was why I wrote it. It is not for long. Plus, the Umbrella is hard to get. I know what Aerith can do and know her weapon list but I have never seen her being prefered over Cloud and the others als attacker for the sole reason that she either is not in your team or the weapon you get for her is not strong enough, to hard to get, et cetera. On top of that the Umbrella has its disadvantage. With her stats and weapons being known it is not necessary to discuss about what she actually is. In fact she is always in my time, while I prefer her as magic user for the sole reason that I give my characters something to do with actually is fitting for them as person. I only talked about a time span and inconvenience when it comes to using her.

Hard to get or not, its viable, and with an attack power of 58 a crit rate of +5% and +20 Vitality, it has a huge advantage if you want to ignore her best stat magic I am not saying use her... I will be the first to admit I don't use certain characters in games because I dislike their character in said game, but all this shit about her being bad in battle is completely unfounded, sure if you don't use someone and they don't have powerful weapons they wont be pulling in the big numbers like some of the character who are in your party all the time, its just down to personal preference.

My point if any is that she IS a prominent fighter for the time you have her if you USE her, its like you don't even know how to play to her strength's she IS a potent magical force, point in case, I demolished Materia Keeper last night before he even had a chance to cast Trine thanks Yuffie and her repeatably casting Aqualung... I didn't even need to heal myself once, and this is the boss that some people find troubling...

Pumpkin
07-23-2013, 03:35 PM
I think they purposely gave Aeris some super awesome Limit Breaks and good stats and what have you so that you would use her and be all "man, she's so great whaaaaaaaaaaaaat" and then she dies and it would hit you harder. I didn't like her, but I like all of my characters to be at an equal level, so I was using her more than I would have if I just leveled up based on preference. She did have some useful limit breaks, but I still didn't like her, or like using her.

noxious.sunshine
07-23-2013, 04:53 PM
I think they purposely gave Aeris some super awesome Limit Breaks and good stats and what have you so that you would use her and be all "man, she's so great whaaaaaaaaaaaaat" and then she dies and it would hit you harder. I didn't like her, but I like all of my characters to be at an equal level, so I was using her more than I would have if I just leveled up based on preference. She did have some useful limit breaks, but I still didn't like her, or like using her.

shion hit the nail on the head with that one.

Shauna
07-23-2013, 04:54 PM
~Opinions~

Roogle
07-23-2013, 08:25 PM

I agree with your assessment. I think they could have souped up her stats a bit more or made her Limit Breaks more practical such as providing less support. Breath of the Earth was underwhelming to me. Also, Great Gospel cannot revive knocked out party members, but Pulse of Life can, I believe? I'm not sure on this one. Regardless, her supportive abilities may not have appealed to every gamer, so I think if they made her a bit more powerful or if they upped the difficulty, she would have really come in handy. As you can see in this thread, there are a lot of people who said that they did not use her in combat unless she was forced into the party, but I would like it if she was really decent enough that you wanted to have her while she lasted.

Skyblade
07-24-2013, 04:30 AM
While her Limits are awesome, they're just pointless. You can make your team invincible. Whoop-dee-do. They're practically so anyway. Support is just not worthwhile in this game. You can keep your party going longer, but they never really get in trouble anyway.

A lot of other characters have Limits which can pretty much eliminate an entire enemy unit in a single strike, and when they get to higher levels, they can wipe out entire groups instantly. Why would you bother with a skill that prolongs combat, rather than ending it quicker?

Carl the Llama
07-24-2013, 08:52 AM
While her Limits are awesome, they're just pointless. You can make your team invincible. Whoop-dee-do. They're practically so anyway. Support is just not worthwhile in this game. You can keep your party going longer, but they never really get in trouble anyway.

You forget, the game is designed in such a way to make it challenging the first time you play it, not every single time. I remember the first time I fought Demons Gate... he absolutely slaughtered me, he has a massive 450 magic defence which means spells like Beta and Aqualung do at best 250 damage even in the higher levels (I can confirm this with my party as this is how much I dealt him with those spells) and P attacks are almost equally weak, Demons Gate IS a real challenge the first time you fight him.

A lot of other characters have Limits which can pretty much eliminate an entire enemy unit in a single strike, and when they get to higher levels, they can wipe out entire groups instantly. Why would you bother with a skill that prolongs combat, rather than ending it quicker?

Limits are typically saved for bosses as in the lower levels all enemies can be wiped out with a simple casting of an Enemy Skill (Matra Magic, Beta, Aqualung and Trine are > Any spell with an all on the first disk) where as a single limit can kill 1 character, even if you cheat and have unlimited limits on all characters what happens when you run into a group of enemies and you have single hit limits I mean you would still be killing a single enemy with a single move and that makes 5 limits it would still be considerably quicker just to cast a single spell and wipe them all out.

THEN we take into account Aerith and her 2/2 limit break Fury Brand, you say 3 attacking limits is > 2, well I take your 3 sir and raise you a 4. All it takes is a meagre 80 kills and 7 uses of her 2/1 limit to unlock which can be done be giving her your ES Materia and having her mow down all enemies you encounter with a single spell.

Pumpkin
07-24-2013, 01:08 PM
I disagree KD. I did my first full playthrough of the game with no difficulty at all. I can't think of one singal fight where I actually struggled. I didn't do the optional weapons fights, but we're talking about disc 1 with Aeris anyways, so that doesn't matter. If your characters are at a decent level, Aeris limits aren't really necessary. I built most of her limits up and then just set it back to level 1 for her healing Limit and that's all I cared to use. It was the only one I found mildly useful, even though I had Cure-All. It was basically a free Cure-All.

VeloZer0
07-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Also consider that a good chunk of your limits are going to be occurring n random battles. Though obviously 'per capita' you get more limits in boss fights you do spend a much more time in random encounters where the limits are definitely more lack luster.

Shauna
07-25-2013, 10:14 AM
I agree with shion. I am playing FF7 through for the first time right now, and honestly? There has been zero struggle. It is not difficult. If I'd played when I was younger? It would probably have been more difficult for my child-mind.

I don't need a limit that makes everyone invincible. I don't need one that heals everyone. Restore materia with an All attached is more useful since I don't have to wait for a limit to load up. Not denying that they can be useful to some people, but not me.

Carl the Llama
07-25-2013, 11:40 AM
I agree with shion. I am playing FF7 through for the first time right now, and honestly? There has been zero struggle. It is not difficult. If I'd played when I was younger? It would probably have been more difficult for my child-mind.

I don't need a limit that makes everyone invincible. I don't need one that heals everyone. Restore materia with an All attached is more useful since I don't have to wait for a limit to load up. Not denying that they can be useful to some people, but not me.

okay so i ran into demons gate and i tried to beat him around 15 times and i cant! the hard part is im only lvl 26 and im trying to defeat him with no gaurd or barriers and no phoenix downs. i have cid cloud and aeris in my party. i dont know if aeris has pulse of life or not but hes hard to beat because without PDs cid dies at the boses first blow. my health is around the thousands. is there maybe a ay i can go level up or buy some PDs because i think im stuck and i dont wanna do over the game :(

Ok, I refuse to want to level up since we're forced to have Aeris in our party and I know she snuffs it. Cloud and Vincent are level 28 while she's 22. I really need help with these guys, I'm stuck at Red Dragon but guides arn't helping me at all and they all say Demon's Gate is hard and since I'm underleveled it will be a lot harder for me so I need some help very badly.

Ahhhhhhhhhh HELP!! Im stuck on this damn boss and i cant get past and its p1ssing me off

Let me give you some details about my team.

I have cloud, aka waste of time and space aeris, and Red XIII. All around level 29 and 1000 - 1300 HP.

I DONT have haste. I dont have deathblow (thnx F-CKIN AERIS #~!$%"!!!) and i dont have MANY abilities. I managed to get past the first boss fine, but this boss SEEMS TO RAPE MY ASS EVERYTIME I TRY TO FIGHT IT. AM I STUCK? SHOULD I JUST GIVE UP AND LEAD A NORMAL LIFE WITHOUT FINAL FANTASY VII?!

Just because you do not have difficulty does not mean others don't as well. An adult mind who is used to strategy games and RPG's will easily defeat someone given the proper preparations, but the fact is no boss before Demons Gate was a challenge. On my first play through back in 97 (when I had no internet and knew nothing about the game, no guides to help and no forewarning that the Demons Gate was likely to cave my head in) he WAS a challenge!

Aulayna
07-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Aww guys, fightin' over lil ol' me. Shucks. :jess:

Skyblade
07-25-2013, 05:22 PM
So Aeris is useful...for one boss.

That's not a very compelling argument.

Aulayna
07-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Or you know, you could just not min/max everything and just play the game [Editorial disclaimer: please make sure your seat is in the upright position and your seatbelt is fastened for this may blow your mind] to have fun and use the characters you enjoy using rather than who might be best for any given situation?

Shauna
07-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Stop trying to be reasonable, Auly. The children are arguing. :colbert:

Carl the Llama
07-25-2013, 06:26 PM
So Aeris is useful...for one boss.

That's not a very compelling argument.

She is useful for all bosses, why on earth wouldn't 4 limits be better be better then 3? The reason I am posting in this thread is to prove that she is useful the whole time she is in the party, tell me exactly what everyone else has that she lacks in terms of fighting. I am not trying to get you to say "Oh, wow I didn't know that, I think I will use her next time" all I want is for you guys to admit that she is good enough to pull her own weight in any given battle, be it boss or enemy group...

Given all the battle data I have put into this thread arguing otherwise is just silly. Like her or not, she IS a great fighter.

Oh and ftr, I would love to see any of the other people in the group try to stop Meteor. :colbert:

Pumpkin
07-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Sure she can hold her own. Like I said, she was designed to be useful and have cool limit breaks so it would hit you harder when she left. If she sucked, a lot of players would care less.

I used all of my characters pretty much equally, but if I had played based on preference, I very rarely, if ever, would have used her. And you can make it through the game just fine without her.

Formalhaut
07-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Sure she can hold her own. Like I said, she was designed to be useful and have cool limit breaks so it would hit you harder when she left. If she sucked, a lot of players would care less.

I used all of my characters pretty much equally, but if I had played based on preference, I very rarely, if ever, would have used her. And you can make it through the game just fine without her.

I generally picked my characters based on where I was. So if I was going through Cosmo Canyon, I always had Red XIII in there, likewise during the Coral visits. This actually means that Vincent is sort of left out, though I did include him during the Hojo stuff.

That's pretty much how I did it anyway :p

Aulayna
07-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Stop trying to be reasonable, Auly. The children are arguing. :colbert:

I'm sorry. :(

Jinx
07-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Or you know, you could just not min/max everything and just play the game [Editorial disclaimer: please make sure your seat is in the upright position and your seatbelt is fastened for this may blow your mind] to have fun and use the characters you enjoy using rather than who might be best for any given situation?

This still rules Aeris out of every scenario!

Jiro
07-26-2013, 04:48 AM
Aerith is a great character. As a healer, she's unmatched and that came in handy in a few boss fights.

Mercen-X
07-27-2013, 02:08 AM
My 97 playthrough, I not sure I remember entirely but I believe I had trouble (died at least once) with the following bosses: Aps (probably), Hundred Gunner/Heli Gunner (maybe), Motorball (I'm pretty sure on this one), Zolom* (definitely, unless I got thrown out), Materia Keeper, Godo, Demon's Gate (obviously), Jenova Death, Ultima, Carry Armor (bitch and its grabby arms meaning it only has to kill one party member because being picked up qualifies as being dead)... yeah.

*I know Zolom isn't a boss, but I'm pretty sure it was something that gave me a lot of trouble.

Pumpkin
07-27-2013, 03:34 AM
Oh I forgot about Zolom. I know you were supposed to use the chocobo to cross, and I did, but I came back RIGHT after and fought him about 5 times until I finally killed the thing so that Red could learn Beta.

comma
07-27-2013, 03:46 AM
I think the problem a lot of people here are having is that they can't justify using Aerith because she isn't available past a certain point in the game. But obviously the game wasn't designed for the player to know that she gets killed. It was designed so that it'd be a surprise. Her limits seem really useful when you consider that you expect them to be usable up to the end of the game.\

I like to use her in the game with that in mind. I don't really care that focusing on using her is rendered pointless when she dies. I think of her healing abilities as the training wheels in a game where, as many have mentioned, healing isn't actually necessary. Once you lose her, having a potent dedicated healer in the party is over, and you have to make it work with your other characters picking up the slack.

noxious.sunshine
07-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Yes but given that that is the case (player not supposed to know that she dies), they wouldn't necessarily level her up to get all 4 limit break levels and most likely -wouldn't- use her in the main group unless they had to just because healing is pretty much all she's good for.

And yes, I do think that if someone were to go into this game with no clue as to what the story line is or a walkthrough to help them, they wouldn't necessarily use Aeris.

Carl the Llama
07-28-2013, 11:50 AM
healing is pretty much all she's good for.

http://i.imgur.com/TyNxNSc.jpg

Seriously? Given all the info I have provided, proof that she can hold her own in battle, the stealing of the Striking Staff from Eligon in sector 7, her all powerful magic, the Umbrella and everything else and you still think healing is all she is good for?

*sighs*

noxious.sunshine
07-28-2013, 02:04 PM
What? I just don't like her! And I'm not gonna grind her out and waste all that time when she kicks the bucket anyway!

Jinx
07-28-2013, 02:25 PM
The fact that you have to spend probably hours just to get her to a place where she's useful in a role other than healing doesn't really say that she can "hold her own."

comma
07-28-2013, 02:51 PM
I guess I just like Aerith and seeing her interact in the storyline. The dialogue that occurs depends on who is in your party at the time, and I think Aerith's take on things is important because she's a Cetra.

Shauna
07-28-2013, 03:33 PM
The main reason I don't pick Aeris as a party member? When you first get her she does like 20 HP damage per hit. And then she's kidnapped, so you get to see how much stronger everyone else is in comparison (at that time, regardless of how gr8 she becomes later on). When 90% of battles is going to be you mashing circle and attacking, I know I'd rather see big numbers than small ones. Once you have a good party you like, you're not gonna swap in someone else because she ~might~ become great if you put in countless hours getting her best weapon/etc, when you already have a party that is mowing down everything.

noxious.sunshine
07-28-2013, 05:44 PM
On top of grinding out just so you can get her to be "good" at physical attacks and all of her limit breaks, you'll be at level 99 by the time you get to Sephiroth in the Northern Cave which tacks on another 30,000 hp or so to -his- stats along with whatever else to make the final battle that much more difficult. I already had everyone up to like level 50 something even -before- Aeris kicked the bucket, I believe and I still hadn't gotten to her 3rd Limit Break... If my memory serves me right, that is.

Denmark
07-28-2013, 05:45 PM
if Aeris is so good then why can't she survive a sword hit like everyone else can

Jinx
07-28-2013, 05:49 PM
The main reason I don't pick Aeris as a party member? When you first get her she does like 20 HP damage per hit. And then she's kidnapped, so you get to see how much stronger everyone else is in comparison (at that time, regardless of how gr8 she becomes later on). When 90% of battles is going to be you mashing circle and attacking, I know I'd rather see big numbers than small ones. Once you have a good party you like, you're not gonna swap in someone else because she ~might~ become great if you put in countless hours getting her best weapon/etc, when you already have a party that is mowing down everything.

This, so much this.

Obviously people didn't know when the game came out that she was going to die, but when you factor that you lose her at the end of the first disc, she really is completely useless. So you can spend hours and hours fighting with her and raising her stats, and playing games to get awesome equipment for her. Only then is she somewhat useful. Oh, and then she dies about 30 minutes later.

Using Aeris in battle is pointless.

Vermachtnis
07-28-2013, 07:45 PM
if Aeris is so good then why can't she survive a sword hit like everyone else can

Sephiroth was doing like 3000 damage and that was like five years ago. Aeris only has like 1300 HP at that point. Also it was a back stab and that like 1.5 damage multiplyer on top of another 3x damage multiplier for being a sneak attack. And Aeris is a DPS/Support, not a tank, duh.

comma
07-29-2013, 02:45 AM
I don't get why people are saying they would rather raise another character's stats. Don't you realize that the characters you don't use level up automatically? I've been using Tifa and Aerith 95% of the time, and all my other characters are only two levels below my main party.

Am I missing something? What kind of stats are you people raising that aren't raised automatically for unused characters?

Mercen-X
07-29-2013, 08:11 AM
I do not recall this occurrence.

Karifean
07-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah, everyone not in your active party gets 1/2 the EXP your main party gets. Even if they're KO'd.

Ontopic, I always used Aerith on my latest few playthroughs simply BECAUSE I know she's going to die and I want to wreck some shit with her before she does. Say what you will about the usefulness of her Limit Breaks, watching Demon's Gate do 0 damage to your entire party is pure delight. Plus, you know, achievement.

Admittedly, she is no powerhouse and her low Strength stat somewhat mitigates her high Attack Power with the Umbrella (plus, Red's Seraph Comb is better), but it's your only chance to use her, so might as well.

Carl the Llama
07-29-2013, 11:07 AM

Omg... ok I will take my time to spell this out one more time:

Step 1 give her your Magic Materia
Step 2... there is no step 2, she has the highest stat for magic over anyone, she does more damage with magic materia then any other member in the game, not in a "couple of hours grinding" I said multiple times in my posts that I did not use her for grinding.

When you first get her she does like 20 HP damage per hit.
When you get her she has a her starting weapon, you have the ability to not use her in battle until you reach the sewer and the boss fight, then your in the train graveyard and it is there you can steal the Striking Staff and from that point on she does more damage with physical attack then Cloud, Tifa, Barret and Nanaki besides, why use physical attacks when you can use magic? I see you said you want the big numbers... but then you use physical attack? Not until very late in the game do you pull enough damage to make it worth while to use physical attacks over magic.

[quote=noxious.sunshine]On top of grinding out just so you can get her to be "good" at physical attacks and all of her limit breaks, you'll be at level 99 by the time you get to Sephiroth in the Northern Cave which tacks on another 30,000 hp or so to -his- stats along with whatever else to make the final battle that much more difficult. I already had everyone up to like level 50 something even -before- Aeris kicked the bucket, I believe and I still hadn't gotten to her 3rd Limit Break... If my memory serves me right, that is.[/img]

http://i.imgur.com/Sbz8Xlk.jpg

*cough*

Level 23, apparently your limit bug affected Aerith as well as Cloud and Barret. Oh and FTR I personally like to fight the hardest Sephiroth I can, which requires the following:

All characters (except Aerith) being level 99
Use of KotR on Jenova (add's 80k to his HP)

With this he still has a paltry 400k HP, now if you think for a few moments... KotR does about 150k damage when said person has a few hero drinks, attach a W-Summon that's 300k already, next player simply uses Mime and that's it, the strongest version of Sephiroth dead after 2 simple moves, he is a really easy boss.

comma
07-29-2013, 02:11 PM
What influences when characters unlock new limit breaks? I have Aerith at level 30 and she only has up to Breath of the Earth. In all the times I played the game, Aerith never had all of her limits at level 23. That seems highly unusual.

Also, yeah, why are people using Aerith to make physical attacks? First, she should be a healer and magic caster, and second, she should be in the back row because of her low defense stats and because magic doesn't care about distance. It's pretty silly that anyone would dismiss her for having a low attack stat.

Shauna
07-29-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't think you're understanding that I rarely do anything other than press O. Which defaults attack. :p It has worked really well for me for the entire game, minimal issues.

You can get exasperated all you want, and preach ~the best way to use Aeris~, and quote as many numbers and facts as you want.
I personally do not use her, and find her useless in my "Press X to Win" strategy of playing this game because unless I try extra hard to *steal* her best weapon at the time, or play a goddamned minigame for hours on end, she does minimal damage. Or I can use someone who I find more useful, which I do.

noxious.sunshine
07-29-2013, 05:16 PM
What influences when characters unlock new limit breaks? I have Aerith at level 30 and she only has up to Breath of the Earth. In all the times I played the game, Aerith never had all of her limits at level 23. That seems highly unusual.

There's a certain number of kills you have to hit to advance to each new Limit Break. Like you have to kill like 80 or 150 to get a new one (I can't remember off the top of my head, but there's a guide for it on gamefaqs).

But, having all of her limit breaks at lvl 23, I agree, doesn't make a lot of sense to me either unless you just hung around Midgar and made a bunch of low exp kills to get them. That's the only plausible explanation.

The glitch affects -all- characters. Not just specific ones. I -do not- have the manuals for Cloud or Barrett (or Vincent come to think of it), thus I can't even try to teach them their Level 4 'Breaks. All of my characters have progressed just fine to Level 3, I simply cannot teach them Level 4's -because of the glitch-.

Jinx
07-29-2013, 07:08 PM
I don't care if she's the best magic user in the game (her magic stats are only slightly better than Cloud's and Red's, btw) she's still useless because you lose her extremely early in the game.

Roogle
07-29-2013, 07:30 PM
I still think she should have had better limit breaks. Breath of the Earth was extremely underwhelming for the part that you get it. She should have had something that inflicted instant death or cleared out random battles really well.

Carl the Llama
07-29-2013, 09:31 PM

There's a certain number of kills you have to hit to advance to each new Limit Break. Like you have to kill like 80 or 150 to get a new one (I can't remember off the top of my head, but there's a guide for it on gamefaqs).

But, having all of her limit breaks at lvl 23, I agree, doesn't make a lot of sense to me either unless you just hung around Midgar and made a bunch of low exp kills to get them. That's the only plausible explanation.

The glitch affects -all- characters. Not just specific ones. I -do not- have the manuals for Cloud or Barrett (or Vincent come to think of it), thus I can't even try to teach them their Level 4 'Breaks. All of my characters have progressed just fine to Level 3, I simply cannot teach them Level 4's -because of the glitch-.

To get her limit I simply used her to kill every enemy I encountered, it only takes 80 kills to get her 2/1 limit, and I got that about 10 minutes before I encountered Yuffie for the first time (which admittedly did take quite a while) but I wanted Yuffie (who was part of my A Team) as soon as possible, a simple casting of Matra Magic can wipe out an entire group of enemies pre Junon (the point at which I got Yuffie) so getting her 3/1 (another 80 kills) was a walk in the park by the time I was level 23.

For the record, I get people don't like to use her, really I do, but saying she is crap in battle is simply not the truth, its like saying Vivi from FFIX was crap because he had crap physical attack, you just have to play to their strengths.

I don't care if she's the best magic user in the game (her magic stats are only slightly better than Cloud's and Red's, btw) she's still useless because you lose her extremely early in the game.

Btw I would consider the end of disk one to be half way through the game, if not more.

Pumpkin
07-29-2013, 09:35 PM
its like saying Vivi from FFIX was crap because he had crap physical attack, you just have to play to their strengths.

That's not even funny to joke about or use as an example KD :nonono:

Denmark
07-29-2013, 09:38 PM
itt: arguing over the correct way to play a video game

noxious.sunshine
07-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Exactly. You hung around that area. As soon as I got Yuffie, I went on my way and then grinded out for a lil bit later on

Carl the Llama
07-29-2013, 11:17 PM
its like saying Vivi from FFIX was crap because he had crap physical attack, you just have to play to their strengths.

That's not even funny to joke about or use as an example KD :nonono:

I honestly don't see a problem with it, just because you don't like her does not mean its not an accurate comparison in terms of their fighting ability.

Exactly. You hung around that area. As soon as I got Yuffie, I went on my way and then grinded out for a lil bit later on

I think you misread what I wrote, I said I got the limit before I got her, I never grinded at any point.

comma
07-30-2013, 03:11 AM
Oh, so none of your other characters have extra limits aside from Aerith? Interesting.

Jiro
07-30-2013, 06:11 AM

Fighting in the forest where you get Yuffie is really not getting low exp kills though. Those little plant dudes give unreasonably high exp for that stage in the game, balanced by the fact they are fucking hard if you're not prepared.

Denmark
07-30-2013, 02:25 PM
itt: arguing over the correct way to play a video game

Pumpkin
07-30-2013, 02:30 PM
KD and Aeris sitting in a tree

I dunno, I'm tired :(

noxious.sunshine
07-30-2013, 03:51 PM

Fighting in the forest where you get Yuffie is really not getting low exp kills though. Those little plant dudes give unreasonably high exp for that stage in the game, balanced by the fact they are smurfing hard if you're not prepared.

In the forest, yeah, but I'm talking about the general Ft. Condor area outside of the forest. It's essentially the same creatures you run into on the Midgar side, isn't it? IDK. My short term memory is really bad.

But let's look at it this way... If you were a n00b, knew -nothing- about the game nor had a walkthrough, would you still use Aeris in your main party? Or rather, did you in your first playthrough? I sure as hell didn't - and I played it way after 8 came out, bought it used and went through without a walkthrough. Then again, I'm an "O" masher like someone else said ... Unless it's a harder boss, then I just whip out one of my summons and get it over with.

Jinx
07-30-2013, 03:55 PM

Fighting in the forest where you get Yuffie is really not getting low exp kills though. Those little plant dudes give unreasonably high exp for that stage in the game, balanced by the fact they are smurfing hard if you're not prepared.

In the forest, yeah, but I'm talking about the general Ft. Condor area outside of the forest. It's essentially the same creatures you run into on the Midgar side, isn't it? IDK. My short term memory is really bad.

But let's look at it this way... If you were a n00b, knew -nothing- about the game nor had a walkthrough, would you still use Aeris in your main party? Or rather, did you in your first playthrough? I sure as hell didn't - and I played it way after 8 came out, bought it used and went through without a walkthrough. Then again, I'm an "O" masher like someone else said ... Unless it's a harder boss, then I just whip out one of my summons and get it over with.

It's a giant Native American bird thing who vomits all over you.

noxious.sunshine
07-30-2013, 04:12 PM

It's a giant Native American bird thing who vomits all over you.

AKA a Condor? Hence the name? :D You don't fight that thing though. It just lays the Phoenix Summon materia... Or vomits it up. Whichever. And it only wakes up when you intentionally lose the Battle of Ft. Condor and then beat the boss machine thing.

Jinx
07-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Oh, I misunderstood. You said that there was some monster in that area that you fight over and over and over again. The monster I said was my reply to that.

noxious.sunshine
07-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Lolllll no I meant the creatures -around- Ft. Condor. just out in the world map on the ground.

Jiro
07-30-2013, 07:00 PM
The monsters around Fort Condor are completely different to the ones found on the other side of the mountain. They're also different to the ones found in the Mythril Mines too. I promise you that much :p

Carl the Llama
07-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Oh, so none of your other characters have extra limits aside from Aerith? Interesting.

Nah, Cloud had his 2/1 limit as well, didn't see any point in raising the limits of anyone else cause they weren't going to be part of my A-Team (Cloud Yuffie and Cid) so I was always strategic in my kills I use the following formula:

Cloud Limit > Aerith: Matra Magic > Aerith Limit: Cloud Matra Magic.

KD and Aeris sitting in a tree

I dunno, I'm tired :(

/smug

Seeing as you can only encounter Yuffie in wooded area's I don't really know what a random encounter outside the fort was really like, I ran about in the woods where the enemies were always in groups of 3 or 5 so it didn't take long at all for Aerith to amass 80 kills for her 2/1 limit plus I had been killing with her since I first left Midgar, I already had about 20-40 kills by the time I reached the woods, so getting the rest was relatively quick.

The first time I played I had her in my party as I like to use magic, its way more powerful then any physical attacker and I like the big numbers, plus you know, Cloud + 2 girls /smug

Synoptikal
08-01-2013, 12:53 PM

Seeing as you can only encounter Yuffie in wooded area's I don't really know what a random encounter outside the fort was really like, I ran about in the woods where the enemies were always in groups of 3 or 5 so it didn't take long at all for Aerith to amass 80 kills for her 2/1 limit plus I had been killing with her since I first left Midgar, I already had about 20-40 kills by the time I reached the woods, so getting the rest was relatively quick.

Condor/Junon Area - Capparwire. They come in groups of 2-5 and use Grand Spark. Perfect for Limit Break levelling.

My wife just played through FF7 for the first time and never used Aerith, except for the Temple of the Ancients. And when I told her that Aerith would be coming along and she'd have no choice, she refused to play for a couple of days. :P She REALLY dislikes Aerith. And so do I. Interfering little cow.

comma
08-01-2013, 01:59 PM
What did she interfere with?

Synoptikal
08-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Cloud and Tifa.

Clifa fo' lyf yo!

noxious.sunshine
08-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Cloud and Tifa.

Clifa fo' lyf yo!

Clifa... That just sounds so... Dirty.

Jiro
08-01-2013, 05:49 PM
It's generally known as CloTi as far as I can tell. It's nice to see that this isn't a one hundred page argument on who Cloud really loves yet :monster:

On topic: I am a guy who likes to make up for my natural femininity by being HYPERMASCULINE so my favourite limits are the damage dealing ones.

Vermachtnis
08-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Clifa!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/AKA_Gluttony/173_zpsddf4634c.png

Synoptikal
08-02-2013, 06:30 AM
Clifa!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/AKA_Gluttony/173_zpsddf4634c.png

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12121&d=1374611101&thumb=1

Carl the Llama
08-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Condor/Junon Area - Capparwire. They come in groups of 2-5 and use Grand Spark. Perfect for Limit Break levelling.

My wife just played through FF7 for the first time and never used Aerith, except for the Temple of the Ancients. And when I told her that Aerith would be coming along and she'd have no choice, she refused to play for a couple of days. :P She REALLY dislikes Aerith. And so do I. Interfering little cow.

I never intended to imply they couldn't come in smaller groups then the ones I encountered, just that my personal experience was they always came in groups of 3 to 5 enemies.

As for your personal feeling regarding Aerith, I'm not about to discuss your opinion of her, its your opinion and no amount of but this and but that will change a persons opinion on the internet.

Synoptikal
08-02-2013, 01:40 PM
The groups of two can elude some people as generally they only back attack in groups of two. ^^

Regarding the subject matter though, I actually tend to use Yuffie's Clear Tranquil over Aerith's curative limits. Or Cure-All. It's all good if you have Aerith under Fury and just have her be attacked to build up her limits but I find them to be very situational.

SteahMeLee
09-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Aeris is the ultimate White Mage!!!

Since I always pair the White Mage and the Summoner, I have found in her a way to not use KOTR that is too unbalanced! Summons goes to her alone... You got the rest... And her last Limit Break is the same, it's quite broken for the effects it gives!

Niale
12-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Its a good wingman, it works for half. New strategy after, but ey fun game :)

Shaibana
01-04-2014, 01:20 PM
im relying so much on Aeris, becaus i cant play without a healer :l
im really going to struggle when she dies

Bubba
01-04-2014, 02:37 PM
im relying so much on Aeris, becaus i cant play without a healer :l
im really going to struggle when she dies

Aeris... dies?

Niale
01-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Aeris... dies?
But what a great experience it was during half hour.
Edit: It's incredible how music can change the mood.
WARNING: Calamity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuaJ8A_SQos

Carl the Llama
01-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Aeris... dies?
For Extreme Aeris Haters - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuaJ8A_SQos)

Out of sync, not really that impressive.

Niale
01-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Aeris... dies?
For Extreme Aeris Haters - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuaJ8A_SQos)

Out of sync, not really that impressive.

Don't know what you mean with sync.
But it sure speaks the love for evil.
I think it defines uncomfortable. Needs to think. :holmes:

Shaibana
01-05-2014, 02:28 PM
stop hating Aeris :(

Niale
01-05-2014, 05:40 PM
stop hating Aeris :(

She's a cool wingman.
I don't :D