Chris
07-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Tina or Teena

Mary or Marie

Joan or Joanne

Megan or Vegan

Manus or Anus

On so on..

Names that can be pronounced the same way, but in fact are actually very different.

Yar
07-19-2013, 08:12 AM
how the hell are you pronouncing Megan?

Tigmafuzz
07-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Lol "vay-gan" sounds like a girl with *pre-emptive snip*

Mary/Marie are pronounced differently are have emphasis on different syllables. Mary is "MA-ree" and Marie is "muh-REE"

Also, Joanne is usually two syllables.

Loony BoB
07-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Sarah = Sear-ah
Sara = Sah-rah
Tina = Tee-nah
Teena = I've never seen this name in my life.
Mary = Mear-ee
Marie = Mah-ree
Joan = Joan (:p)
Joanne = Joe-an
Megan = Mee-gin
Vegan = Vee-gin
Manus = Man-iss
Anus = Ay-niss

So basically aside from that Tina/Teena one, I can't think of any of these names that are pronounced the same way. However, I know of people named Sara/Marie that pronounce their names the same was as Sarah/Mary, so I can see where you're coming from with that one. It all comes down to how the individual says their name should be pronounced.

Laddy
07-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Chris, do you even English?

Pike
07-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Sarah = Sear-ah
Sara = Sah-rah

wut

Aulayna
07-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Chris or Cris

Loony BoB
07-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Sarah = Sear-ah
Sara = Sah-rah

wut
Might be an accent thing, to be fair. xD Which one you do you differ on?

maybee
07-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Sarah = Sear-ah
Sara = Sah-rah
Tina = Tee-nah
Teena = I've never seen this name in my life.
Mary = Mear-ee
Marie = Mah-ree
Joan = Joan (:p)
Joanne = Joe-an
Megan = Mee-gin
Vegan = Vee-gin
Manus = Man-iss
Anus = Ay-niss

^ This.

Chris, do you even English?

And this lol.

Pike
07-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Sarah = Sear-ah
Sara = Sah-rah

wut
Might be an accent thing, to be fair. xD Which one you do you differ on?

They are both pronounced exactly the same xD Rhymes with Air-uh. Every Sarah/Sara I've ever known (and I've known quite a few) is pronounced that way.

maybee
07-19-2013, 01:30 PM
They are both pronounced exactly the same xD Rhymes with Air-uh. Every Sarah/Sara I've ever known (and I've known quite a few) is pronounced that way.

Well they are wrong. It's what BoB said imo. :colbert:

Sear-uh and Sah-rah *

Pike
07-19-2013, 01:33 PM
I think you guys just have no idea how the word "sear" is actually pronounced. :p

Loony BoB
07-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Accents! Sear, dear, dare, care, seer, bear, bare, lair, leer, it's all rhymin'. I always have to keep in mind how different accents say different words when I ready poems/songs/parodies because reading it in my accent often leads to them not rhyming at all.

WildRaubtier
07-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Sarah, like Carer with a southern drawl on the end

Sara, like Sahara, but you didn't laugh in the middle

GUESS IF YOU WANT TO GET REAL TECHNICAL THE THE ACCENT IS ON THE LAST SYLLABLE IN THE FIRST AND ON THE FIRST IN THE LAST i think

No double posting please. ~Pike

Slothy
07-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Accents! Sear, dear, dare, care, seer, bear, bare, lair, leer, it's all rhymin'.

:Oo:

Madame Adequate
07-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Most people over here do pronounce "Sarah" and "Sara" differently but nobody on this crazy Earth says Sear-uh :eyebrow:

Sarah = Sair-ah
Sara = Sarr-ah

Shauna
07-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Most people I know called Sara pronounce it the same as Sarah (Say-rah), but I suppose it's just personal preference in the end.

However, Shauna and Shona are not the same name and people here seem to think they are. :stare:

Loony BoB
07-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Most people over here do pronounce "Sarah" and "Sara" differently but nobody on this crazy Earth says Sear-uh :eyebrow:

Sarah = Sair-ah
Sara = Sarr-ah
In my accent, Sear and Sair are pretty much exactly the same. Hair, hare, hear, here. All the same.

Raistlin
07-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Sear, dear, dare, care, seer, bear, bare, lair, leer, it's all rhymin'.

what

is there something wrong with your brain?

Madame Adequate
07-19-2013, 05:08 PM

Sarah = Sair-ah
Sara = Sarr-ah
In my accent, Sear and Sair are pretty much exactly the same. Hair, hare, hear, here. All the same.

Your accent is wrong. Like, objectively so. Why do you kiwis think we have different letters? Because they mean different things.

Pumpkin
07-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Tina or Teena

I guess I would pronounce the same

Mary or Marie

I can tell you these are not pronounced the same. My boyfriends mother is named Mary and my middle name is Marie, which sounds considerably more French.

Joan or Joanne

Not pronounced the same. Joan like Joe-nn and Joanne like Jo-ann

Megan or Vegan

What?

Manus or Anus

I suppose so

On so on..

Sarah and Sara aren't really pronounced the same but I do anyways because I have trouble pronouncing Sara the proper way.

Agent Proto
07-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Sear, dear, dare, care, seer, bear, bare, lair, leer, it's all rhymin'.

what

is there something wrong with your brain?

This is the same person who thinks soup is also a drink. As I was reading that post and noticed him claiming they rhymed, I shook my head.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Sarah and Sara are the same.

As for Mary and Marie, it really depends on the person. I have seen them being pronounced the same and different.

BoB, you scare me. I am afraid to ever speak with you now that I know every word such sounds the same to you...

Chris
07-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Bob is right, like me. The rest of you are failing weirdos.

Araciel
07-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Why do people spell their names incorrectly anyway?

Sephex
07-19-2013, 07:16 PM
The Sahara Desert is where--

BANNED. SMURF YOU SEPHEX.

Rebellious Eagle
07-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Why do people spell their names incorrectly anyway?

I saw somewhere that one decade "Micheal" was one of the most popular baby boy names, pronounced the exact same as Michael. Like what. Someone really screwed up on a lot of birth certificates.

Shorty
07-19-2013, 09:02 PM
What is going on in this thread.

Sarah and Sara are pronounced the same.

Loony BoB
07-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Pronounce Names - Pronounce Sara, How to pronounce Sara, How to pronounce the name Sara, Pronunciation of Sara, how to say Sara, how to say the name Sara (http://www.pronouncenames.com/Sara)
Pronounce Names - Pronounce Sarah, How to pronounce Sarah, How to pronounce the name Sarah, Pronunciation of Sarah, how to say Sarah, how to say the name Sarah (http://www.pronouncenames.com/Sarah)

Parker
07-19-2013, 09:43 PM
I dislike how Americans say Sarah and Sara. The gross way they say the first syllable. Like Sarra. They do it with the first syllable of my irl name too.

I'm accent racist btw

Jinx
07-20-2013, 12:21 AM
How the fuck would Daniel Towns pronounce my name?

Sear-mahn-thuh?

Araciel
07-20-2013, 12:31 AM
That's how Tony Danza would say it.

Shlup
07-20-2013, 02:33 AM
You forgot Raul or Raul.

My daughter's middle name is Ann. No 'e'.

Agent Proto
07-20-2013, 02:38 AM

So it's okay if I start calling you "The Same"?

Hollycat
07-20-2013, 05:52 AM
Chris and Daniel are both taking the mickey.

Here's one that's alway fun. How do you pronounce Shayne?

Shorty
07-20-2013, 06:01 AM
Wesley: how the hell could you date daniel for so long when he horrifically mispronounces your name?
Sarah: we only dated for four months
Wesley: does he really say seer-ah?
Sarah: yes
Wesley: why did you not immediately reach through the phone and smack him in his stupid face?
Sarah: BECAUSE I CHALKED IT UP TO HIS ACCENT
Wesley: STILL LONG AFTER YOU DISCOVERED HIS HORRIBLE BRAIN DAMAGE

Raistlin
07-20-2013, 06:05 AM
Sarah: I'm still laughing, you're so funny xD
Wesley: there is nothing funny about the mentally handicapped.

Shorty
07-20-2013, 06:07 AM
I honestly never considered anything wrong about how he pronounces my name. Had we had a discussion about rhyming words as a requirement before we dated, though, maybe I'd have thought twice abut it.

Loony BoB
07-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Saaaaaaaaaaaaarah~
Why are you such a shit steerer
I know that life could be fairer
But you're starting to act queerer
Saaaaaaaaaaaaarah~
Let me be a little clearer
Old age is getting nearer
And I think you might need a carer
Saaaaaaaaaaaaarah~

HC: Shayne rhymes with pain.

maybee
07-20-2013, 09:09 AM

I don't know where you live but over here it's not. Mars ?

Shorty
07-20-2013, 09:55 AM
I live in the US.

NeoCracker
07-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Shorty lives in the very depths of hell itself.

Shorty
07-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Coeur d'Alene is better than whatever part of the state it is that you're in. :P

NeoCracker
07-20-2013, 10:12 AM
You know what? Fine then, you asked for it.

You're not really 26 at all! :mad2:

Shorty
07-20-2013, 10:14 AM
No, I'm not, I'm 24 xD

what are you on about xD

NeoCracker
07-20-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm on about you pissing off!

Also I'm tired as all fuck, about to eat and go to bed. Let me have my rambling woman!

Shorty
07-20-2013, 10:22 AM
This thread is about name pronunciation anyway. :colbert:

NeoCracker
07-20-2013, 10:23 AM
This thread is about name pronunciation anyway. :colbert:

And your name is pronounced 'Dick'. :colbert:

Off topic! And also not accurate. ~S

Hollycat
07-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Saaaaaaaaaaaaarah~
Why are you such a trout steerer
I know that life could be fairer
But you're starting to act queerer
Saaaaaaaaaaaaarah~
Let me be a little clearer
Old age is getting nearer
And I think you might need a carer
Saaaaaaaaaaaaarah~

HC: Shayne rhymes with pain.

See, you got it right. But my name has been read as all of the following in just the last year:

Shee-anne
Shy-anne
Sheen
Shine
Shan
Chan (wts?)
San
Shins
Saiyan

And my favorite of last year, during an English Professors first day:
"Sah... Shee..... Sheeya? Screw it, I can't pronounce this. Chick with the y in their name."

Madame Adequate
07-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Ahahaha what the actual hell Shayne is not a difficult name to pronounce.

Is it super rare over there or something? There's plenty of people called Shane over here.

Tigmafuzz
07-20-2013, 05:02 PM
And yet nobody has pointed out that BoB pronounces Megan "MEE-gan" yet? I mean seriously?

Loony BoB
07-20-2013, 05:13 PM
May-gin works, too. Depends on the Megan, much like it depends on the Sara or the Nicola.

Tigmafuzz
07-20-2013, 05:17 PM
May-gin works, too. Depends on the Megan, much like it depends on the Sara or the Nicola.

Here in 'MURICA, the first syllable is either may- or mə- and the last syllable is either -gin or -gən, sometimes even a full -gun if you're in Mississippi or Tennessee or some other place with a weird strong dialect. Mee-gin just sounds... wrong. Very wrong.

Shorty
07-20-2013, 08:26 PM

May-gin? Are you serious? Seriously serious?

Madame Adequate
07-20-2013, 09:08 PM
He has GOT to be trolling. Jesus Christ. :stare:

Relena Peacecraft
07-21-2013, 03:57 AM
This thread would be a million times easier to read if you'd use a standard phonetic alphabet instead of your accent-dependent rhyming words. Then again, specifying vowels accurately is a complete pain, and even IPA symbols aren't always good enough when working across accents. Somehow I doubt anyone wants to specify their pronunciations using formant frequencies.

I could see someone pronouncing Sara differently from Sarah, but I've never known anyone who did so. But it's probably no different than the couple of ways you can pronounce Tara.

I know someone with a name similar to Mary/Marie (but I've forgotten how she spells it) that isn't pronounced the same as either. And not the same as Maury either.

Hollycat
07-21-2013, 04:43 AM
Ahahaha what the actual hell Shayne is not a difficult name to pronounce.

Is it super rare over there or something? There's plenty of people called Shane over here.

No, I know a few people named Shane, and no one has any problem pronouncing their names. There are either a bunch of idiots down here or people are doing it on purpose.

Jiro
07-21-2013, 05:43 AM
BoB and I say Megan the same and that is the right way because if you want to say it the other way put a fucking H in the name.

Also ask Fujiko how to say her name and you'll see that Sarah/Sara are not always the same.

Rebellious Eagle
07-21-2013, 06:19 AM
What about the different ways you can pronounce "Stephen"? I've heard it both "steff-in" and "steev-in" and it confuses me.

Tigmafuzz
07-21-2013, 01:59 PM
What about the different ways you can pronounce "Stephen"? I've heard it both "steff-in" and "steev-in" and it confuses me.

Stephen is pronounced "George"

Loony BoB
07-21-2013, 02:14 PM
I've only ever heard Stephen pronounced Steve-in. Stefan, now that's a different story.

Denmark
07-21-2013, 02:19 PM
i've only ever heard "Stephen" pronounced as "Steff-en" in one instance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Curry_(basketball))

Pike
07-21-2013, 04:40 PM

This is my dad's name!

It's basically "Steven" but spelled funny.

It's actually annoying because it means his name is really close to mine and since we live in the same house at the moment the credit companies get us confused all the time and he has horrific credit :(

Mindflare
07-21-2013, 06:02 PM
I would have thought you were all crazy for this topic had I not heard it aloud yesterday on Skype.

I pronounce them the same, but have begun to reconsider that...

Rantz
07-21-2013, 06:21 PM
BoB and I say Megan the same and that is the right way because if you want to say it the other way put a smurfing H in the name.

Also ask Fujiko how to say her name and you'll see that Sarah/Sara are not always the same.

In Fujiko's case it's really more of a Swedish/English pronunciation difference, since Sara and Sarah is generally pronounced the same here.

Shorty
07-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Whenever I hear the name Stephan/Stefan all I can think of is this hilariously amazing movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBj31rJb_Ps).

Rebellious Eagle
07-22-2013, 03:01 AM
But then if his name is going to be pronounced "steev-in" why not just make his name Steven and not Stephen? :freak:

Agent Proto
07-22-2013, 03:07 AM
Because Stephen is just another way to spell Steven.

Tigmafuzz
07-22-2013, 03:11 AM
I think it's just another way to convuse people, because that's what English is best at. I don't think it's phery vunny.

Pumpkin
07-22-2013, 05:03 AM
My uncle's name is Stephane and people call him Stephanie :|.

It's pronounced like stefph- an (the an being like the an in van, not like an on sound)

My mom's name is Aline and English people have trouble pronouncing it. I don't know why. It's pronounced like Ah-Lynn. But she gets like A-Line and Alien and Eileen?

Shorty
07-22-2013, 05:07 AM
My mom's name is Aline and English people have trouble pronouncing it. I don't know why. It's pronounced like Ah-Lynn. But she gets like A-Line and Alien and Eileen?

I would pronounce it Ah-leen based on the spelling.

My grandmother's name was Eleene but many people misread or mispronounced her name or would address mail to "Eileen".

Loony BoB
07-22-2013, 09:25 AM
I know you changed the thread title Sarah you selfish ho. Also, verified with Fujiko last night, I definitely pronounce Sara correctly. Aaaaand when we had like 15 people on Skype I wasn't much different (if different at all) to most people. I think you guys are reading Seer-ah different to how I read it. Accents. What fun!

Jinx
07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
We're reading it exactly how you say it.

Chris
07-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Then, how do you weirdos pronounce Zarah? Huh? Huh?

Loony BoB
07-22-2013, 12:28 PM
I've only ever seen Zara, and I pronounce that just like I pronounce Sara and Tara but with a different initial consonant. Never seen Zarah, though.

And Sam, I think you were the only one who said it differently to me. xD I think Kent described the phonetics of it best when he said it's said similar to how people say 'carer', but then some of you guys probably say that differently too... we gotta vocaroo all this. >=]

Quindiana Jones
07-22-2013, 12:57 PM
I stress the h.

Loony BoB
07-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Especially when talking down the phone, right?

Tigmafuzz
07-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Zora.