PDA

View Full Version : Character Designs

Laddy
07-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Love them? Hate them? Your thoughts?

So far, they're pretty okay as far as Nomura designs go. They're not too extreme but original enough to have personality. My only complaint is there is a lack of variety in race and age, but I suppose that's hardly Nomura's fault considering.

Del Murder
07-19-2013, 02:30 PM
They're nothing special, but not terrible. There's a lack of diversity, which in an RPG I really like having.

ShinGundam
07-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Love them? Hate them? Your thoughts?

So far, they're pretty okay as far as Nomura designs go. They're not too extreme but original enough to have personality. My only complaint is there is a lack of variety in race and age, but I suppose that's hardly Nomura's fault considering.
Lack of variety in age? how?

Raistlin
07-22-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm definitively "meh" and firmly ambivalent right now.

Loony BoB
07-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how there is a lack of diversity in age considering there are some pretty old dudes in that lineup. The youngest I'm guessing is Noctis, but I don't like kid heroes, so it doesn't worry me one bit if we end up having the youngest person be 16-20.

Laddy
07-23-2013, 04:06 AM
I was referring to the as-of-yet confirmed playable characters. :colbert:

yukina
07-29-2013, 04:57 PM
They look like the FF version of a boyband. Haha

Fynn
08-11-2013, 10:29 PM
I love them. They look so real. And the age variety is nice. We might get more of the older people as playable characters too, you never know.

Super Christ
08-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Of the playable characters, I echo the sentiment I read from a lot of Japanese gamers; they look like a freaking host club. At least it looks like they're finally killing the 'genki girl' trope; although the only specific one to ever bug me was Penelo, the trope in general has been wearing thin lately.

Once upon a time I thought that Nomura was the best thing to happen to the series, character design wise; although Amano is a great artist and I love his landscapes, his characters are always blonde and pissed it seems. However, I'm starting to think its time for Nomura to retire.

Edge7
09-02-2013, 03:39 AM
I'd rather have a group of men from a host club if it means we're past Nomura's "belts and zippers" stage.

James_Cub
11-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Nomura's "belts and zippers" stage.

My favourite character designs from the series stem from the "belts and zippers" stage: Squall, Lulu and Paine. Yuna's gunner design was pretty cool too.
In any case, I agree with everybody else's sentiment that these characters lack a bit of originality. Every supposed playable character introduced until now is a boy and wears black... in fact there is only one girl introduced thus far..

Mercen-X
11-15-2013, 04:52 AM
My favorites are definitely Noctis, Stella, and the Assassin's Creed-looking guy.

By the way, which is worse? "Belts & Zippers", or this dude (http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/094/6/9/Genesis_Rhapsodos_by_renzantolin.png)?

Edge7
11-20-2013, 06:41 AM
^Belts on belts on belts.

I mean, my favorite Nomura work was Parasite Eve, so the belts and zippers do nothing for me.

Aulayna
11-21-2013, 06:59 AM
I'm sure Nomura will manage to get some sort of sub-villain in the game that's dressed in far too much leather and has belts buckled to every orifice.

But in all honesty I'm actually really digging these character designs. They stick with the whole "fantasy based on reality" thing quite well and certainly seem more practical than some of the more outlandish designs Nomura has come up with in the past.

ShatteredWaves
12-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Better than XIII's character designs at least

Ayen
12-25-2013, 05:26 PM
I like what I see so far.