PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan

DarkBahamut
07-19-2013, 11:04 AM
I made a thread a while back about Ramadan.

How's the Muslim community doing? I'm loving fasting so far even with football practice.

Formalhaut
07-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Well, I'm not a Muslim, but I did watch this programme on BBC 1 called the Muslim Premier League, all about how influential Muslims have influenced: guess what, the English Premier League.

Was quite nice it was.

Old Manus
07-19-2013, 03:06 PM
I play cricket with a few guys who are Muslim. We spent a solid six hours in the 30c heat batting and bowling, we stopped for drinks every few hours or so. All they could do was sit on the side and try and avoid heatstroke. People do some retarded things for dumb reasons.

DarkBahamut
07-20-2013, 01:10 AM
I play cricket with a few guys who are Muslim. We spent a solid six hours in the 30c heat batting and bowling, we stopped for drinks every few hours or so. All they could do was sit on the side and try and avoid heatstroke. People do some retarded things for dumb reasons.

I go through full pad 3 and a half hour football practice. It really matters how mentally strong you are. And I've playing Cricket, and played soccer and tag and basketball also.

But one of the main points about Ramadan is that you showing your love to God by only wanting to have connection with him.
An example is like you love a girl so much, that you forget to eat, you forget to sleep, all necessities. You need that "intimacy" with God in this month.

Jinx
07-20-2013, 01:20 AM
But don't you guys eat after sunset?

Rebellious Eagle
07-20-2013, 02:02 AM
I don't know how you guys do it! I'd have such a hard time fasting for a month. Then again I sleep until like 11:30 in the summer so I'd only have to wait a few hours until sunset...

Loony BoB
07-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Yeah, gotta eat/drink at some point!

Still, there could be issues (http://www.wikiislam.net/wiki/The_Ramadan_Pole_Paradox) depending on where you are at the time. I find it really interesting how different religions and cultures do things like fasting, though. I'd struggle to fast all sunrise hours, particularly right now in Scotland when the sun begins to set around 10pm and rise before 5am.

Formalhaut
07-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Yeah, gotta eat/drink at some point!

Still, there could be issues (http://www.wikiislam.net/wiki/The_Ramadan_Pole_Paradox) depending on where you are at the time. I find it really interesting how different religions and cultures do things like fasting, though. I'd struggle to fast all sunrise hours, particularly right now in Scotland when the sun begins to set around 10pm and rise before 5am.

I've gone the occasional day where I've point blank forgotten to eat. :p If I had to, I could probably fast.

41-Inches-Wide
07-20-2013, 08:11 PM
There's a lot of people that practice Islam in the city so there are lots of banners about ramadan. There's a community here that aside from fasting, give their homecooked food for the homeless shelters in another town during this time. They are absolutely an awesome group.

DarkBahamut
07-22-2013, 08:01 AM
I live in California, so I have to stop eating at 4:30am and I can eat again at 8:30pm.

Pike
07-24-2013, 10:48 AM
I think I have a co-worker doing this.

Super hardcore, man. No way I could ever do something like this.