PDA

View Full Version : How to gain an english accent.

snacks
07-20-2013, 01:04 AM
Someone teach me how.
How are people so good at learning?
How are people so bad?
Is it all about learning certain things?
Do we have any language learning experts around?
113XaZpybqs
I mean look Keanu is...well him but still.

Do you like your accent?
Do you wish it were something else?
Can you DO another accent?

Jinx
07-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Just watch a lot of Doctor Who. It's a win-win, really.

snacks
07-20-2013, 01:08 AM
*Takes down notes*

I want to hear accents, if you have one please share. I love dialects and stuff, I look it up on the daily and wonder where it comes from and try and pronounce stuff and it's crazy awesome. I wish I knew how to at least fake one.

So let's hear some accents!

Jinx
07-20-2013, 01:20 AM
JUST GO WATCH DOCTOR WHO GODDAMNIT

snacks
07-20-2013, 01:21 AM
ALRIGHT FINE FINE.

Anyone else want to bite *pushes boobs out of the way*
any people with interesting dialect....languages...etc

Laddy
07-20-2013, 02:27 AM
I don't think it's possible to have an accent as American as mine. It's so incredibly regionless.

snacks
07-20-2013, 02:29 AM
i hear my accent is really pronounced like i'm very..i can't think of the word but i'm from the east coast near buffalo so, i throw that in there too, i've never heard a regionless accent that's interesting

Denmark
07-20-2013, 03:09 AM
step by step guide to an english accent

1. be born in england
2. learn to speak
3. speak with english accent

Formalhaut
07-20-2013, 03:17 AM
The English accent is nice, but my voice is just horrible and undeserving of it's Britishness.

snacks
07-20-2013, 04:02 AM
step by step guide to an english accent

1. be born in england
2. learn to speak
3. speak with english accent

thanks dad

Rebellious Eagle
07-20-2013, 05:01 AM
Jersey accents are obnoxious, you don't want to hear mine.

Madame Adequate
07-20-2013, 05:04 AM
I've always had a mild talent for accents, not enough that I could do voicework or anything like that but I can pass for a few different countries/parts of countries if people don't start listening too closely.

I don't really know what the source of this is though. I guess just listen to the accent you want to emulate a lot, and watch loads of VJyTA4VlZus Amy Walker's videos on YT.

snacks
07-20-2013, 06:11 AM
yeah i've watched a few amy walker's videos and she's REALLY talented, a little over dramatic but that's her business right?

anyways i guess for some people/actors it's just easier to pick up.

noxious.sunshine
07-20-2013, 06:59 AM
I have a "non-accent" too.

It used to be Suuuuuper Southern, but my accent was specific to the area of TN that I'm from. It's kind of hard to explain. Like North Eastern Tennessee (Bristol, etc) has their own, and South Eastern has -their- own and Nashville is a big mix of the stereotypical Southern and the "non-accent" like Laddy said. I was made fun of in high school for my southern accent so I worked really hard to get rid of it. I can only slip back into it if I'm imitating my dad or mom. ... Or my Brother. Since they're all a bunch of hillbillies.

Unbreakable Will
07-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Jersey accents are obnoxious, you don't want to hear mine.
You're from Jersey?

On behalf of the rest of EoFF I demand to hear a voice clip from you. :colbert:

Loony BoB
07-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Do you like your accent? Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it.

Do you wish it were something else? No. I love other accents a lot, such as the Irish and Geordie and any other sing-song kind of accents out there, and Carribean accents tend to be kind of great, but I wouldn't trade my accent for another. It's part of who I am.

Can you DO another accent? Yeah, I can do some terrible forms of American, Irish, Scouse, Geordie, Dutch, random others. I can't do a Scottish accent for the life of me, oddly enough.

Pike
07-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Do you like your accent?
Do you wish it were something else?
Can you DO another accent?

1. It's boring but oh well.
2. I wish it was something super obnoxious so I could annoy Huxley :flirt:
3. I can do a very small selection of words in a passable Norn Iron which I picked up from Huxley. I wish I could do the full thing because it would be hilarious. The trick with Norn Iron is to insert extra vowels everywhere so you you don't "bake a cake", you "bay-ek a cay-ek". Also you don't drive a car around the house, you drive a kyar arind the hice.

Chris
07-20-2013, 10:30 AM
The "English" are the past, and clearly not "with it" anymore, so why? :confused:

Shauna
07-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Do you like your accent? Aye. It's a good balance between Glaswegian and... not-Glaswegian. I don't sound as awful as others do.

Do you wish it were something else? Nah.

Can you DO another accent? I can do one or two others, but I can't keep them up for any length of time. Ah well, mine is enjoyable enough without having to include any more talent to the mix.

Madame Adequate
07-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Do you like your accent? Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it.

You shouldn't be :nonono:

Loony BoB
07-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Quiet, MILK.

Madame Adequate
07-20-2013, 04:59 PM
That's... that's the lamest comeback I've heard since I last played XBL with Steve.

snacks
07-20-2013, 05:06 PM
That's awesome that people are actually participating, not sure if i've ever heard BoB before.

I have a very traditional accent maybe non regional, I grew up in several places but lived in the north usa for a while, and then while being with my current partner I kind of picked up some of his buffalo accent. It only really comes out when I'm angry xD

41-Inches-Wide
07-20-2013, 09:10 PM
I'm trying to remove my accent to make it more neutral; But I would love to have an English accent. With that accent, I wonder, would I my love my BBC series more?

snacks
07-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Is it harder for non americans to do an american accent? I notice a lot of actors default to like a southern-y accent when they try and do american...is it just as hard as a non american?

Psychotic
07-21-2013, 10:22 AM
I can do a very good English accent but a very bad British accent.

Elyn Saks
08-09-2016, 08:52 AM
I think if, you want to gain an English accent then watching and listening the conversation in movies would be the best idea or you can try with the pronounciation of small English words like names, places names because when you are starting, the pronounciation of each word plays an important role and this will also improve your vocabulary. You can get lot of help from dictionary.com and babynology.com as far as words and names are concerned.