PDA

View Full Version : Apparently I have wheat intolerance

Pike
07-21-2013, 04:20 PM
I've been plagued with both eczema and bad acid reflux for years and I have just now made the connection that it's because of wheat products. Yep. These two issues go away entirely when I go a couple days without it and then come roaring back when I start eating it again.

I'm not sure if it's the celiac disease thing or just general wheat intolerance, but either way, give me fun stuff to eat now that I have to go sans-wheat. (I should note that eating it in moderation seems to be okay, but more than one meal of it a day seems to be what kills me.)

Slothy
07-21-2013, 04:25 PM
I'll be making some crustless pizza/a guide for it for the EOFF cookbook tomorrow so I'll teach you how to do that.

You could also try buying a paleo cookbook.

Jinx
07-21-2013, 04:38 PM
My mom has Celiac's, so I'll ask her for some quick and easy recipes. :)

Pike
07-21-2013, 04:39 PM
My mom and two of my sisters have it as well and it looks like the NO FUN ALLOWED disease

That's why I'm kind of bummed about it but oh well

Slothy
07-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Honestly, one thing I've learned from cutting wheat out of my diet in the past is that I don't even really like it. It's more of a vehicle for delivering the foods that don't suck.

Pike
07-21-2013, 04:45 PM
I think my main concern is "BUT I LOVE ORDERING PIZZA" but I guess I'll just keep it a sort of special occasion thing like I do now. Also I'm interested in this crustless pizza thing as well!

Slothy
07-21-2013, 05:16 PM
It is the most delicious thing ever conceived. A bit pricey since Parmesan ain't exactly cheap, but well worth it once a week or so. Like I said, I'll throw together a guide for it tomorrow. It's tough to explain without pictures since there's no real recipe or anything, and no set time for when it's done. You kind of have to be able to see it and feel it.

Shorty
07-21-2013, 05:27 PM
You could also try buying a paleo cookbook.

My mom only eats paleo and she smurfing loves it. She's also never looked better in her entire life and doesn't work out very often.

Slothy
07-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Paleo will do that to you. :)

Jinx
07-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Are we talking wheat or gluten? Because wheat has gluten, but gluten is in so many things that aren't "wheat" items.

And yeah, Pike. It really is a no-fun allowed diet. Unfortunately quiet a few people have developed/discovered they had Celiac's in the last 5 years. When my mom first discovered it, there wasn't nearly as much gluten free food as there is today. We ate some funky shit. Luckily a ton of name brand stuff is gluten free these days, and you can find a lot of cake stuff and just all sorts of random things gluten free. There's gluten free pizza too!

Pike
07-21-2013, 06:05 PM
I have no idea if it's wheat or just gluten. All I know is the less bread I eat, the better!

Jinx
07-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Okay. :) Well, here's an example so I'm not being so confusing:

Say you're trying to eat gluten-free. You go to the store to buy meat and veggies only. You pick up some deli meat...but hey, it has gluten in it. It's not a "wheat" item, per say. And you wouldn't assume that there was gluten in it, but there is.

Eating gluten-free isn't that bad taste-wise, but when you're first starting out it's so time consuming finding out what has gluten in it.

I mean, shampoo and makeup, for Christ's sake?

Pike
07-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Yeah, seeing as half of my family has got it I have a lot of experience with the whole reading the labels and gluten in unexpected places thing. I'm not paying attention to that stuff myself because I can't be arsed. Just cutting back my bread intake is working wonders so hopefully it's nothing much more complicated than that!

Jinx
07-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Well, I'm glad that's working for you so far! But, if you continue to do it, just be careful. If you do have a gluten sensitivity, it'll probably just get worse the more you cut wheat/gluten out of your diet.

I'm glad you're aware of what you *might* have to do if you need to go gluten-free.

Formalhaut
07-21-2013, 06:17 PM
All this talk about gluten has reminded me that I haven't actually included a gluten free sticker in the cookbook. How did I miss that out?

Any additions to the cookbook guys would be much appreciated in this field! :)

Madame Adequate
07-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Paleo will do that to you. :)

Yeah it is a good way to lose weight.

Because it's an atrociously poor idea and will starve you.

Slothy
07-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Can't tell if you're serious. :erm:

Shorty
07-22-2013, 12:21 AM
It's like, all meat, fruits, vegetables and dairy. All the time. o_o I'm failing to see the starving bit.

Slothy
07-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Which is why I suspect that he's kidding, but I've seen people say stranger things and mean them.

comma
07-22-2013, 12:36 AM
No, he's right, everyone starved to death before we invented bread. That's why the human species is dead.

Joking aside, the paleo diet seems weird to me. It's based on "we weren't meant to eat bread," but we weren't meant to eat meat, either. We actually don't have the best kind of intestines for eating meat. Early humans who couldn't process the meat died off from starvation probably, but we're basically working on minimum acceptable function here. Not that I care about what was "meant" for us, but it just seems contradictory.

Flaming Ice
07-22-2013, 12:58 AM
I usually don't eat too much wheat either anymore...it doesn't seem to get rid of the problems I've had but it's still supposed to be healthier for you.

If you want meal idea you can do stuff like stuffed peppers, salads with olive oil, roasted chicken with roasted vegetable, STEAK, STEAK, salmon is supposed to be really healthy for you.

I usually just buy packs of ground beef/chicken, mix in different vegetables (like carrots, onions, broccoli [I use california mix veg sometimes].....a bit of garlic and ginger), then toss in an egg or two...delicious! ....also i wilt some spinach at the end to put on top, drizzle a bit of olive oil.

You can have nuts/fruit and yoghurt.

Madame Adequate
07-22-2013, 01:57 AM
I was exaggerating but the paleo diet is dumb.

Slothy
07-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Yes, I can see how eating meat, vegetables and fruit is dumb. :roll2

Madame Adequate
07-22-2013, 02:06 AM
Yep cutting out a big chunk of your diet because of some crazy person's concocted beliefs about nutrition and shilled by shysters is actually a dumb dietary decision, hth!

Pike
07-22-2013, 02:10 AM
hth!

wtf does hth mean?

Madame Adequate
07-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Hope This Helps

Apparently I'm wrong and cutting wheat out is actually a p. good idea but whatever I'll be in my cold dead grave before I support anything that so much as smells primitivist :colbert:

Jinx
07-22-2013, 02:14 AM
Yeah, they didn't have great hygiene back then. Don't blame you.

Pike
07-22-2013, 02:21 AM
Firstly I have no idea where you're getting all these weird acronyms from lately

Secondly paleo/gluten-free/whatever is a pretty hippie thing and I don't like it and although I might be dead wrong because I no nothing (Jon Snow) about nutrition I don't think it's something everybody needs to do or anything. I tried it for a couple of weeks to test it out and see if I could eat "healthier", and I noticed a positive difference, but I think a lot of it is because celiac and weird digestive issues run rampant in my family.

I'd still be going full-on wheat mode otherwise (sorry Vivi but I love me some breads)

Slothy
07-22-2013, 02:22 AM
Yep cutting out a big chunk of your diet because of some crazy person's concocted beliefs about nutrition and shilled by shysters is actually a dumb dietary decision, hth!

Yep, cutting out a food with no real nutritional value which causes obesity and a number of other ailments for a large portion of the population is definitely dumb. :roll2:

Not saying you have to cut it out if you don't want to, but saying that cutting out a shitty food and focusing on eating foods that anyone with any sense would agree are healthy is dumb is, well, kind of dumb.

Madame Adequate
07-22-2013, 02:24 AM
If I'm so dumb why did you double post :smug:

Slothy
07-22-2013, 02:26 AM
Because my phone is dumb. :p

NorthernChaosGod
07-22-2013, 02:36 AM
I have nothing to add, but you people kill me.

Miriel
07-22-2013, 07:00 AM
If it's just wheat and not gluten, it's actually really easy to just remove it from your diet.

When I cut out carbs, my heartburn went away. And came back when I started eating carbs again. Which made me SUPER SAD, because god damn, I love carbs. It kinda annoyed me how many positive benefits there were to cutting out carbs. :p

Anyway, this is my favorite wheat-less pizza recipe: Hybrid pizza ~ Stuff I Make My Husband (http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/2011/02/hybrid-pizza.html)

It's really good! I may have posted about it before. I've made it like 4 times in the past few weeks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/1e8fb13e-2b71-49c5-95e6-675fe6c9990d_zps24d985d4.jpg

My favorite low carb (and therefore, low/no wheat) food blog is: I Breathe... I'm Hungry... - Deliciously Low Carb & Gluten Free (http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/)

Lots of great stuff there.

I tend to eat a lot of eggs, veggies (broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, brussels sprouts), shrimp, and tofu when I'm avoiding carbs. Omelettes are your friend!

Yerushalmi
07-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Eating gluten-free isn't that bad taste-wise, but when you're first starting out it's so time consuming finding out what has gluten in it.

I'm not surprised they make these (they make "certified kosher for passover" shampoo, makeup, and even drain cleaner, which is just idiotic). But do people with celiac actually need them? I was under the impression the only problem was with ingestion.

Pike
07-22-2013, 10:18 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/1e8fb13e-2b71-49c5-95e6-675fe6c9990d_zps24d985d4.jpg

ooooooooh remove the onions and I would eat this FOREVER

Jinx
07-22-2013, 11:56 AM

I'm not surprised they make these (they make "certified kosher for passover" shampoo, makeup, and even drain cleaner, which is just idiotic). But do people with celiac actually need them? I was under the impression the only problem was with ingestion.

They need them. If my mom uses lip balm or make up with gluten in it, her face breaks out in sores. If she uses shampoo with gluten in it, her hair will begin to fall out in clumps.

It affects the whole body. And if you ingest gluten, it can do more than give you just some tummy aches.

noxious.sunshine
07-22-2013, 12:40 PM
If it's gluten you're allergic to, it'll make you very ill aside from acid reflux & heart burn.

My sister's girlfriend has CD, so she absolutely cannot have anything with gluten in it. When she developed CD, she just one day got extremely ill with vomiting and the runs for like 3 days and found out that was what it was.

Gluten is a protein that comes from any wheat-based product. Meat won't necessarily have it unless it's somehow breaded. Beer has gluten. Beer has gluten in it - except for Shiner Bock - they make a gluten-free version, but I think it's pretty hard to find. IDK of any other brands that make a gluten-free version.

As far as cooking/baking gluten-free, just peruse your grocery store's Organic section - they'll have gluten-fee pizza crusts, cake mixes, cookies, and stuff.

EDIT: My sister and I went gluten-free for awhile and I had so much more energy. Or well, we cut out a lot of stuff aside from gluten products, but sitll.

comma
07-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Paleo isn't necessarily dumb, it's just arbitrary and impractical. You can cut out lots of things that don't have a lot of nutritional value. It just so happens that consuming wheat products is a convenient way to absorb calories, i.e., stay alive. You could eat a 16oz steak and a couple pieces of bread and get nutrients and calories to last you a while, or you could just eat a 24oz steak, shit out about half of the nutrients, end up with very few calories, and need to eat more steak sooner. The paleo diet is extravagant, especially if you consider bread to be for poor people, but nobody's stopping you from being extravagant.

Yerushalmi
07-22-2013, 01:37 PM

They need them. If my mom uses lip balm or make up with gluten in it, her face breaks out in sores. If she uses shampoo with gluten in it, her hair will begin to fall out in clumps.

It affects the whole body. And if you ingest gluten, it can do more than give you just some tummy aches.

Celiac disease is when the lining of your intestines gets eaten away by your own antibodies because it's too similar, chemically, to gluten. As far as I know the only way to activate it is to ingest it - but even if the antibodies are triggerable from other parts of the body, they won't do anything to the other parts of the body.

What your mom has sounds like an actual honest-to-god gluten allergy, not celiac disease.

Jinx
07-22-2013, 02:07 PM

Celiac disease is when the lining of your intestines gets eaten away by your own antibodies because it's too similar, chemically, to gluten. As far as I know the only way to activate it is to ingest it - but even if the antibodies are triggerable from other parts of the body, they won't do anything to the other parts of the body.

What your mom has sounds like an actual honest-to-god gluten allergy, not celiac disease.

I'm finding it a little offensive that someone who isn't a doctor thinks they know what my mom has been going through for the past five years or more.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/symptomsofceliacdisease/a/Gluten-Allergy-Symptoms.htm

"Gluten allergy" is a misnomer anyways. Celiac's Disease is an auto-immune disorder.

Slothy
07-22-2013, 05:09 PM
You can cut out lots of things that don't have a lot of nutritional value. It just so happens that consuming wheat products is a convenient way to absorb calories, i.e., stay alive. You could eat a 16oz steak and a couple pieces of bread and get nutrients and calories to last you a while, or you could just eat a 24oz steak, shit out about half of the nutrients, end up with very few calories, and need to eat more steak sooner.

I don't want to derail this thread much more with paleo diet specific talk, but this is incorrect. Yeah, wheat is an excellent way to consume a lot of calories as quickly as possible. But those are calories that 99% of the population doesn't need. It's also a great way to stimulate your appetite and cause blood sugar spikes which would actually make you hungry sooner after eating the steak with a couple of pieces of bread than if you just had a bigger steak. It'd also trigger fat storage for the majority of people so your body can deal with the excess glucose and not die.

Seriously, unless you're Michael Phelps and need to eat 10,000 calories a day because you train so god damn much (and even then I'm not sold since there are a lot of people who hit really high performance levels in Crossfit on Paleo alone), there's no benefit to eating bread. None whatsoever. And for a lot of people it's actively harming them in one way or another.

Doesn't mean they can't eat it. It's their choice, but let's not pretend is something it's not. It's just about as bad as eating anything that's sugar filled frankly. Possibly even worse since a lot of people are more sensitive to gluten than they realize. For the most part sugar just makes people fat. But wheat gluten can do things that are more fucked up on top of that.

Yerushalmi
07-22-2013, 07:15 PM

I'm finding it a little offensive that someone who isn't a doctor thinks they know what my mom has been going through for the past five years or more.

Gluten Allergy Symptoms (http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/symptomsofceliacdisease/a/Gluten-Allergy-Symptoms.htm)

"Gluten allergy" is a misnomer anyways. Celiac's Disease is an auto-immune disorder.

Please don't be offended. I try to be precise in my language (my failure to do so in our infamous makeup argument notwithstanding), and that's why I added things like "as far as I know". I deliberately didn't say "you're wrong", I said "it sounds like". I know I'm not a doctor, which is why I didn't try to state it as fact.

I know that celiac is not an allergic disorder. That's precisely what I was basing my statement on. It's also the reason I added the 'actual honest-to-god' bit, because the latter is often used incorrectly to refer to the former, and from what you said it sounds like your mom really does have the latter.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But if that's the case I'm very curious as to how the physiology of such a reaction is even possible. Celiac symptoms are not supposed to be local - the very page you linked to says as much! As Richard Feynman said, "I have to understand the world, you see."

noxious.sunshine
07-22-2013, 07:24 PM
You can cut out lots of things that don't have a lot of nutritional value. It just so happens that consuming wheat products is a convenient way to absorb calories, i.e., stay alive. You could eat a 16oz steak and a couple pieces of bread and get nutrients and calories to last you a while, or you could just eat a 24oz steak, trout out about half of the nutrients, end up with very few calories, and need to eat more steak sooner.

I don't want to derail this thread much more with paleo diet specific talk, but this is incorrect. Yeah, wheat is an excellent way to consume a lot of calories as quickly as possible. But those are calories that 99% of the population doesn't need. It's also a great way to stimulate your appetite and cause blood sugar spikes which would actually make you hungry sooner after eating the steak with a couple of pieces of bread than if you just had a bigger steak. It'd also trigger fat storage for the majority of people so your body can deal with the excess glucose and not die.

Seriously, unless you're Michael Phelps and need to eat 10,000 calories a day because you train so god damn much (and even then I'm not sold since there are a lot of people who hit really high performance levels in Crossfit on Paleo alone), there's no benefit to eating bread. None whatsoever. And for a lot of people it's actively harming them in one way or another.

Doesn't mean they can't eat it. It's their choice, but let's not pretend is something it's not. It's just about as bad as eating anything that's sugar filled frankly. Possibly even worse since a lot of people are more sensitive to gluten than they realize. For the most part sugar just makes people fat. But wheat gluten can do things that are more smurfed up on top of that.

I read about what Michael Phelps eats back when he won all those medals... He does have a legit High-Carb intake.

Jinx
07-22-2013, 07:40 PM
I think what Vivi was saying was that you don't need to eat a ton of carbs to have an efficient diet if you're an athlete. :)

Pumpkin
07-22-2013, 08:33 PM
there's no benefit to eating bread. None whatsoever.

There's the benefit of tasting good :D

Jinx
07-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Rice > bread

Slothy
07-22-2013, 08:54 PM
I find bread kind of bland to be honest. Needs to be mixed with something or have cheese melted on it for me to really enjoy it on its own. Then I'm usually faced with questions like "why don't I just eat some damn cheese?"

Pumpkin
07-22-2013, 08:58 PM
I like French and Italian bread. Like warm baguettes mmmmmmm

A lot of bread is just an excuse to eat butter, though.

comma
07-23-2013, 02:57 AM
What do you mean 99% of the population doesn't need carb calories? People eat bread, pasta, and grains because they're too poor to eat enough calories per day on just vegetables and meat. Most of the world's population relies on those carb calories to fill out their meals. If you think you can solve the food crisis by replacing wheat with steak, good luck.

Flaming Ice
07-23-2013, 03:23 AM
One problem with wheat is the amount of things that go into the products it is in.

You can just cook a steak but with bread, etc, you need different flavourings perhaps (like any herbs, spices, fruits, etc), salt to give it more taste, something to make it last past 3 days (store bought stuff). And whatever else to help it stay together (sugar to help it rise, yeast, etc.).

Of course you could eat 100% wheat cereal but usually it seems to need a bit of flavour (most people are probably going to go with unnatural forms of sugar).