PDA

View Full Version : How do you have your mashed potatoes?

Loony BoB
07-22-2013, 04:59 PM
And I'm not talking what utensils you use, Neo.

I love mashed potato, but I love it even more with a little something extra. Our go-to spice is nutmeg, and mashing in a good dose of nutmeg (just taste it a little to see how much you like) makes it all that much better. I also like cheesey mashed potato, although I've yet to really get it right like my parents can.

So, do you ever add anything to your mashed potatoes?

sharkythesharkdogg
07-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Gravy is the classic. Cheese is good. A little garlic is also a nice change-up. You can put all types of stuff in 'em.

In the past I've put diced onion, corn, peas, diced ham chunks, etc. Sometimes I leave some of the skin on them.

Pumpkin
07-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Cream, tons of butter. I put cheese on them sometimes. And sometimes gravy. And sometimes ketchup.

noxious.sunshine
07-22-2013, 07:29 PM
I loveee manchego cheese garlic mashed potatoes.

I usually boil my potatoes in chicken broth (made from chicken boullion - the powdered stuff you can make broth with, but you can control the flavor you know?), and then I'll mash them with some milk, garlic, butter & manchego cheese if I happen to find it. Otherwise, I'll mash it like normal with the 1st 3 ingredients & maybe throw some sour cream & cheese on top.

Otherwise, if I'm making potato tacos (or "taquitos" whatever), I'll chop up some roma tomatoes and mash them in with the potatoes for the filling and then yeah. Yummy Yummy.

Shauna
07-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Gravy maybe. But nothing compares to good ol' plain mashed potatoes with nothing but milk and a dollop o' butter.

Flaming Ice
07-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Egg, milk, butter (well usually disgusting margarine that my mom buys but I'd rather have butter).

We used real garlic butter a few times though

:)I really like garlic:)

Jinx
07-22-2013, 09:36 PM
grahvy

Formalhaut
07-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Mashed potato? More like mushy baby food. I don't like the texture of mashed potato.

Chris
07-22-2013, 11:18 PM
I hate gravy, and I do it passionately too.

Pike
07-22-2013, 11:21 PM
With either butter or gravy. Not picky!

Shorty
07-23-2013, 12:25 AM
I have them creamed with four peas on the side.

Pumpkin
07-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Sharky asks if that's a quote from The Secretary?

Shorty
07-23-2013, 12:59 AM
It surely is. Good man!

Denmark
07-23-2013, 01:42 AM
i eat my mashed potatoes with whatever is appropriate for the accompanying meat

i.e. butter/salt/pepper if no gravy, gravy if there's gravy

Flaming Ice
07-23-2013, 02:45 AM
More like mushy baby food..

:eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep: :eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep::eep:

Mashed sweet potatoes, squash puree, etc....delicious!

noxious.sunshine
07-23-2013, 03:35 AM
GOD. No.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes the way folks do 'em is nasty. With OJ & Brown Sugar & Marshmallows? Hellllll to the no.

Mash mine with butter & sour cream. And some nutmeg. It's yummy that way.

And yes, I do like my sweet potato fries with Ketchup instead of Caramel.

Night Fury
07-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Mash just with butter and milk, if I'm feeling a little bit naughty I'll throw some cheese in there. If I'm feeling posh I'll make it stilton cheese.

Shorty
07-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Locky darling, this is important. Make mashed potatoes for Philip tonight and dump as much pepper in there as you can get away with without it being too too noticeable and tell him "cobb says hello" after he takes a spoonful to the mouth.

Then tell me what his face looks like and/or what his reaction after that is and I will give you a treat!

Night Fury
07-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Locky darling, this is important. Make mashed potatoes for Philip tonight and dump as much pepper in there as you can get away with without it being too too noticeable and tell him "cobb says hello" after he takes a spoonful to the mouth.

Then tell me what his face looks like and/or what his reaction after that is and I will give you a treat!

Lmao. He actually made the mash the other night, but I'll remember this ;D

Shorty
07-23-2013, 05:42 AM
:love:

Jinx
07-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Sweet potatoes are an abomination unto the Lord.

Flaming Ice
07-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Mashed Sweet Potatoes the way folks do 'em is nasty. With OJ & Brown Sugar Marshmallows? Hellllll to the no.

Marshmallows? ...I shouldn't even ask.......orange juice isn't too bad, I use it with tomato based foods too sometimes.

Yeah, butter +Nutmeg is good.

Caramel too....never even heard of that before...gross :|

And the processed fries are absolutely disgusting compared to making them yourself (my mom uses a recipe where you mix them in a bag with oil and spices before you cook'em).

Lmao. He actually made the mash the other night, but I'll remember this ;D

Use white pepper ;)

Sweet potatoes are an abomination unto the Lord.

:eek:

Jowy
07-24-2013, 06:45 AM
One dash of salt and lately a bit of lemon juice.

Loony BoB
07-24-2013, 09:48 AM
...lemon juice sounds like a really nice idea, actually.

noxious.sunshine
07-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Mashed Sweet Potatoes the way folks do 'em is nasty. With OJ & Brown Sugar Marshmallows? Hellllll to the no.

Marshmallows? ...I shouldn't even ask.......orange juice isn't too bad, I use it with tomato based foods too sometimes.

Yeah, butter +Nutmeg is good.

Caramel too....never even heard of that before...gross :|

And the processed fries are absolutely disgusting compared to making them yourself (my mom uses a recipe where you mix them in a bag with oil and spices before you cook'em).

It must be a Southern thing... When I worked at the elementary school, they'd do mashed sweet potatoes with OJ, probably caramel, and marshmallows on top. Logan's Roadhouse will do a loaded sweet potato with Butter/Cinnamon mix, butter, and marshmallows. And they'll give you sweet potato fries, but most people ask for a side of caramel to dip it in and it's nasty.

Sweet potatoes are actually really good for you, but the way people do them up is just. Gag. It totally takes away from the health factor. Plus it's too much sweet.

Loony BoB
07-24-2013, 01:41 PM
mashed sweet potatoes with OJ, probably caramel, and marshmallows on top. Logan's Roadhouse will do a loaded sweet potato with Butter/Cinnamon mix, butter, and marshmallows.
:stare:

noxious.sunshine
07-24-2013, 01:46 PM
mashed sweet potatoes with OJ, probably caramel, and marshmallows on top. Logan's Roadhouse will do a loaded sweet potato with Butter/Cinnamon mix, butter, and marshmallows.
:stare:

Yes BoB. It's weird. And gross.

Butter/Cinnamon.... I meant Sugar/Cinnamon. MY BAD.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Cream and butter with a hint of nutmeg. Obviously I also make sure the salt is balanced as well. Sometimes at work we add a bunch of cheese and butter too. FUCKING DELICIOUS.

noxious.sunshine
07-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Cream and butter with a hint of nutmeg. Obviously I also make sure the salt is balanced as well. Sometimes at work we add a bunch of cheese and butter too. smurfING DELICIOUS.

On a sweet potato!? I do that too. So yummy.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-24-2013, 03:45 PM
No, just your normal mash potato. Though I use yukon golds.

noxious.sunshine
07-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Oh. lol... It's good on sweet potatoes too...

I use Yukon Gold if I'm making potato taquitos. Boil & mash them with chopped roma tomatoes, then heat up corn tortillas on a skillet so that they get soft & pliable, spoon the mashed potatoes into the tortilla and roll it up. Once you've assembled them all, pour a bit of oil into the skillet and fry the taquitos on each side until cripsy. Drain on a paper towel. Top with sour cream, salsa verde, avocado, & thinly shredded cabbage. You're golden. haha....

For regular mashing, I use either red potatoes or Idaho.