PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Shaibana
07-22-2013, 05:07 PM
there is problably already a thread somehwere, but i cant find it!!

Wouw wouw wouw :3
this trailer got me all exited again on this movie!!

THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE - Official Trailer #2 (2013) [HQ] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keT5CRhhy84)

and here are some cool character pictures!!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.720509084632412.1073741831.159746560708670&type=1

so what do you think?
half the characters have looked very different in my mind when i read those books ^^ Only Cashmere and Brutus look a bit how i thought they would look :P

what do you think??

Shorty
07-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I wasn't impressed with the first movie and probably won't be seeing this one.

charliepanayi
07-22-2013, 05:26 PM
More Jennifer Lawrence is always a good thing.

Jinx
07-22-2013, 08:01 PM
I am so smurfing excited for this movie. Back in early spring when I found out that it wasn't coming out til November, I was pretty miffed. I'm thrilled now because this comes out on November 22, and the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special is on November 23. Greatest weekend ever? Maybe.

Anyways, about the trailer:

Watching it brought tears to my eyes, because I know what's coming etc. Catching Fire is my favourite book in the series. The moment when Effie looked over at Katniss when her names was pulled for the second time...

I'm glad that they only gave the briefest glimpse into the dress scene, as it's one of my absolute favourite scenes of the book, and I hate it when trailers ruin great parts of films.

"And advice?" "Stay alive."
"Remember who the real enemy is."

Shaibana
07-22-2013, 08:49 PM
I am so smurfing excited for this movie. Back in early spring when I found out that it wasn't coming out til November, I was pretty miffed. I'm thrilled now because this comes out on November 22, and the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special is on November 23. Greatest weekend ever? Maybe.

Anyways, about the trailer:

Watching it brought tears to my eyes, because I know what's coming etc. Catching Fire is my favourite book in the series. The moment when Effie looked over at Katniss when her names was pulled for the second time...

I'm glad that they only gave the briefest glimpse into the dress scene, as it's one of my absolute favourite scenes of the book, and I hate it when trailers ruin great parts of films.

"And advice?" "Stay alive."
"Remember who the real enemy is."

ive reasently finished the book but honestly, i cant completely remember it.
for me the book was a bit blurry, mainly the characters (even more in the 3rd book) were confusing me becaus i couldnt really remember who was who, and what they have done or what theire role was. and often did i mistake male-female... making it even more confusing after 20 pages
i also thought that in the first movie they left out some big details

Jinx
07-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Like what? I actually thought the movie was incredibly true to the book. They left out some things, sure, but it was also a very long movie and they had to trim fat.

Most of what was left out (in my opinion and observation) was the internal monologue of Katniss. That was left out because of its medium, or some things were changed. Like, when she gets a gift from Haymitch, there's a note attached. In the book she had to struggle to figure out what message he was trying to send her, and what she should do to get more gifts and/or stay alive. Again, it was changed because that wouldn't work in film.

But I'm honestly curious of what you thing was left out that should've been in. :)

Miriel
07-23-2013, 01:53 AM
I thought they did a surprisingly good job with the first movie. It had some questionable casting choices (like that square headed boy they chose for Peeta and the horridly bad younger brother of Thor they cast for Gale... oh and the whole thing with not allowing non-white actresses to audition for Katniss).

But overall, I remember really enjoying the first movie. So I'm excited for this next one! I actually think it'll be even better than the first one. It's even darker and now that they've already set up the premise with the first one, they can just dive right into the meat and bones. I love that the trailer just teased the new round of games. Mwahahaha.

There was only one casting I was really interested in for the 2nd movie, and that was for Finnick. I was rooting for Justin Hartley, but again, they gave the role to a not very attractive looking guy. What is up with the lack of male eye candy in this franchise???

Jinx
07-23-2013, 02:03 AM
I actually think the guy who plays Peeta is adorable.

That being said, Chase Crawford of the Gossip Girl fame was my choice for Finnick. https://www.google.com/search?q=chace+crawford&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=8tXtUcLMHdSo4AOt_YC4DA&biw=1366&bih=667&sei=9NXtUdLAKvj94APDuIEo

omg omg omg

I think it's a bit dumb they didn't allow non-white actresses to try out for the part of Katniss, as a Hispanic, Indian, or Native American could've played her. She's described in the book as having dark hair and somewhat dark/tan skin. I remember actually being a bit surprised they chose someone so pale to play her.

Del Murder
07-23-2013, 05:53 AM
The first movie was pretty great and I liked this book even better so I'm excited for this movie. I think it will take a lot more to make this one good, though, because a lot happens.

Miriel
07-23-2013, 08:51 AM
I actually think the guy who plays Peeta is adorable.

I think it's a bit dumb they didn't allow non-white actresses to try out for the part of Katniss, as a Hispanic, Indian, or Native American could've played her. She's described in the book as having dark hair and somewhat dark/tan skin. I remember actually being a bit surprised they chose someone so pale to play her.

I think Peeta being adorable is part of the problem for me. Especially next to someone as, you know, womanly as Jennifer Lawrence. It's just icky seeing them be romantic when he looks like a 10 year old.

After Jennifer Lawrence was cast and people were upset at the white washing, I remember people from the movie (including maybe Jlaw? Can't remember) were like, WE CAN GIVE HER A TAN CALM DOWN. Which only made people angrier. Cause it's like, dude, it wasn't about Katniss having a tan, it was about completely shutting down any opportunity for a non-white actress to play what was clearly intended to be a non-white role. Even the author back tracked about her own ideas of the ethnicity of Katniss after they cast Jennifer Lawrence which was so disappointing. Buuuut, I still think Jennifer Lawrence rocked it as Katniss and she really carried the entire movie.

Jinx
07-23-2013, 02:16 PM
She did do great. Skin-colour aside (that sounds horrible) I think Jennifer Lawrence is an excellent Katniss. I can't see anyone else playing her now.

That reminds me about how much people were getting upset about Rue being black. HAVE YOU READ THE BOOKS? THE PARTS WHERE SHE SAYS SHE HAS DARKENED SKIN, HAIR, AND EYES? When I read the book, I saw her more as Hispanic. But it seems like Rue is supposed to be from the South, so...I just don't understand why people were so surprised. It really pissed me off. Especially because people were being incredibly rude and offensive about a 12-year-old little girl who was incredibly adorable, and was a wonderful actress.

Also, I get what you're saying about Peeta now.

Shaibana
07-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Like what? I actually thought the movie was incredibly true to the book. They left out some things, sure, but it was also a very long movie and they had to trim fat.

Most of what was left out (in my opinion and observation) was the internal monologue of Katniss. That was left out because of its medium, or some things were changed. Like, when she gets a gift from Haymitch, there's a note attached. In the book she had to struggle to figure out what message he was trying to send her, and what she should do to get more gifts and/or stay alive. Again, it was changed because that wouldn't work in film.

But I'm honestly curious of what you thing was left out that should've been in. :)

honestly, i cant recall at this moment. but when i finished to book i did think that some crucial things were left out of the movie

abbout Finnick: yes, i would have picked a pretty'er actor to :P since in the book he Is the pretty boy

Jinx
07-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Well, I've read the book series three times, I think? And I've seen the movie two or three times. Like I said, there are things left out, but nothing that was crucial to the story or had to be ret-conned in later films (I'm looking at you, Harry Potter films.)

Araciel
07-23-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm hungry for her games.

Del Murder
07-23-2013, 09:41 PM
While I'm excited for this one, I'd be perfectly happy if they just skipped Mockingjay.

Jinx
07-23-2013, 09:46 PM
While I'm excited for this one, I'd be perfectly happy if they just skipped Mockingjay.

Yeah. Although I think it's interesting if you recognize the themes of how the media portrays things to persuade people to their cause.

But this book's kind of rapey at times and I'm still pretty upset she killed off Prim. I really didn't see her death as necessary. I think Coin bombing Snow's Capitol children meat shield would've been enough to infuriate Katniss to kill Coin regardless of if her sister died or not. At that point she's pretty pissed off at District 13, and she just gave the go-ahead to murder innocent children.

But, Katniss also votes for there to be one last Hunger Games, so who knows?

charliepanayi
07-23-2013, 10:01 PM
In the now usual fashion, Mockingjay's two films isn't it? On the bright side, it's being scripted by Jonathan from Buffy.

Jinx
07-23-2013, 10:02 PM
IT'S TWO FILMS?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Actually it still makes more sense for this film to be two films than Breaking Dawn.

charliepanayi
07-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Because all final parts of literary adaptations need to be two films these days of course. And because film studios love the idea of another $700+ million dollars rolling in.

Jinx
07-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Deathly Hallows actually made sense being split up. It was two very long movies, and they still cut stuff out.

Breaking Dawn is a book in which nothing happens.

Shaibana
07-24-2013, 04:51 PM
2?how about 3! :P the hobbit is just 1 small book

noxious.sunshine
07-24-2013, 06:34 PM
I liked the books ok enough the first time around, but then I read them again, and all I could think of was "Battle Royale", but not as good.

While I like Woody Harrelson as Haymitch and Liam Hemsworth as that one dude, I just am not as impressed with the rest of the cast. Oh wait. I forgot about Lenny Kravitz. I like him. And I dig Donald Sutherland. That's it though.

Shaibana
07-25-2013, 07:21 PM
look what iiiiii foooouunnnd :D hahaha these guys are epic!!

"The Hunger Games" ? A Bad Lip Reading - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjGk_jU6t5A)

noxious.sunshine
07-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Gang Fight (Rebecca black parody) is the best

Jiro
07-26-2013, 05:02 AM
I'm excited. I developed a soft spot for the series and this is probably the best book imo. So seeing how it translates to the screen is interesting.

DMKA
07-26-2013, 05:13 AM
I'm super excited for the second film and can't wait to see it. I loved the first movie.

I have never read the books. :p

Jinx
11-18-2013, 06:04 PM
*bump*

Thought it was a good time to bump this, since the movie comes out in a few days. Anyone going?

Also bumped to discuss the movie once people have seen it.

Shaibana
11-18-2013, 06:31 PM
in the weekend of the 'launch' im not at home so.. ill go 2-3 days later xD

Del Murder
11-18-2013, 06:49 PM
We'll see this at some point but not for a while. Katniss looks pretty well-fed in the trailers, I must say!

Jinx
11-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Well, she won, so she's living high as a hog now!

Elskidor
11-18-2013, 07:00 PM
I still need to see the original. I've wondered what the hype was all about, but I guess curiosity has not tempted me enough to see for myself...yet.

Shlup
11-19-2013, 02:40 AM
I didn't realize this movie was coming out so soon! I liked the first movie as much as I liked the book (both were decent), but the trailer for the second looks like they're trying to make it more intense than the book, which is exciting. Hopefully they'll do the same for the third movie too, since the third book was pretty slow.

I think the casting overall is pretty perfect. I'm bothered by the white washing, but I can't deny Jennifer Lawrence did a good job. And I already kind of pictured Peeta s a footface.

The whitewashing outrage also reminds me of how many idiots were outraged that Rue was black. So many people on Twitter all up-in-arms because apparently they thought "dark skin" meant tan.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-19-2013, 03:17 AM
I haven't read any of the Hunger Game books. My wife gave away the plot to them all when she was reading them because I wasn't terribly interested at all.

This comment really has no value to any conversation at hand.

Shaibana
11-19-2013, 12:33 PM
The whitewashing outrage also reminds me of how many idiots were outraged that Rue was black. So many people on Twitter all up-in-arms because apparently they thought "dark skin" meant tan.

i dont get why ppl get all hyped about it.
Does it really mather how dark her skin is?

Jinx
11-19-2013, 02:48 PM
This is so good.

eT7nD02Im5E

noxious.sunshine
11-19-2013, 04:07 PM
I was just abt to post that! Lol I caught it earlier!

I'll wait awhile and then download it. Mwahaahaha

I'm not rly a fan of J.Law tho...

Shlup
11-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Ha, I came here to post the Sesame Street thing. So good.

i dont get why ppl get all hyped about it.
Does it really mather how dark her skin is?
Hollywood re-casting other ethnicities to be white people is a problem, yes.

Look at the movie 21. That was based on a true story. They cast these people to play real people, but most of these Asian people were played by white people. Look at it and tell me that's not fucked up! (http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/21mitblackjack.php)

Jinx
11-20-2013, 09:51 PM
I think Shaibana was saying that she doesn't understand why people are getting so fussed about Rue being black, because it shouldn't matter if one of the most popular characters from a story is black, as long as it's a good character. At least, that's what I think she was saying! ;) I remember being surprised at the casting as well, because I thought Rue was supposed to be of Hispanic-descent as well as a lot of others, but the little girl who played her was just OMG SO ADORABLE. Like, omg, I loved her to bits. I bawled like a little baby when she died; she was a great actress in all of her scenes.

AND YES THAT SESAME STREET IS JUST WONDERFUL

Shlup
11-20-2013, 10:17 PM
I didn' even read what part of my post she quoted. I need to stop trying to post while dealing with the baby; she's turning me stupid.

Jinx
11-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I took her post more to mean that she thought it was stupid that people were being stupid, not that she thought it was stupid that Rue was black.

Shaibana's a pretty cool ass chick.

Shlup
11-20-2013, 10:33 PM
I thought she was talking about the casting call for Katniss because, like I said, I didn't even read what she quoted. I woke up in a puddle of pee (not mine!) so I'm foggy.

Jinx
11-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Oh, that Bailey. What hijinks will she get up to next!

Del Murder
11-21-2013, 12:30 AM
A great joke oppotunity was missed right here.

Shaibana
11-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Shaibana's a pretty cool ass chick.

ooh well thank you ^^

i did not meen any offense against any cast member, no :P
But ppl can be so hyped about little details.

in the link-example (movie 21) i can understand.. they made half the asian cast 'western', thats not right xD

But in the hunger games it is 1 girl that is a view tans darker.
just shut up and enjoy the movie!! haha xD
otherwise then that the movie has lived up too the books (i think)

noxious.sunshine
11-22-2013, 02:01 PM
I pegged Rue to be like hispanic or indian or something, but I couldn't care less that she's black. The girl that played her was little Zoe Saldana in Colombiana.

I cried more watching the little fanmade video of that scene with Danielle Chuchran and some white girl. It was done so much better than the actual movie even though the girl is white.

Z_jw3z68TW0

Jinx
11-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Saw the movie.

More Caesar Flickerman, so yeah. BONUS.

Mirage
11-23-2013, 12:55 PM
I didn't watch the first hunger games movie until this week, and I only did it because someone were going to get me free tickets for this one. I think I didn't care about the movies before because some people I talk to said they thought it was overrated. After watching them though, I must say that I think they are not, they are rated just right, or perhaps a bit too low. I thoroughly enjoyed both movies and wish I had seen the first one earlier. I am looking forwards to see how it'll all end now.

Spooniest
11-23-2013, 01:20 PM
I've already read through the trilogy, so I know what happens...

:) Not telling

Jinx
11-23-2013, 01:54 PM
I just want to say--

Peeta has grown up! He has a square jaw now!

Shaibana
11-26-2013, 09:39 PM
i saw the movie just a view minutes ago :D i have read the books and im not dissapointed with the movie, haha! :P
last time i read a book before i saw the movie i was verry disapointed with the movie, it just ruined the movie for me (it happened with Harry potter and the deadly hallows)

the movie went a little but fast but not that fast that it ruins the movie.

ive been a little emotional the whole movie i felt tears comming up when i knew the scene came up where cinna would het beaten up and when Magg's kissed Finnick goodbye and walked into the poisioned fog i lost it.

i am a little dissapointed though that Katniss and Peeta didnt watch any movies about the previous victors, how they won the Hunger Games :P or Haymitch's^^
neither did they really explain anything about district 13 (or has that already been done in the 1st movie? i forgot)

Jinx
11-26-2013, 09:43 PM
No, they didn't explain anything about District 13. I understand why they left out the main scene from the book--where Katniss is out hunting and meets the two women from District 8--as it would bog down the pacing of the film. But they could've found a way to mention it!

Also, Jenna Malone is super hot in this role, just saying.

Shaibana
11-26-2013, 10:00 PM
aah ok,
i thought i saw a scene a long time ago where they showed the distric 13 movie from the Capitol, but i guess that was all in my head when i was reading the book

the magic of books ^^

noxious.sunshine
11-26-2013, 10:37 PM
MainStay Pro - the people who did the scene with Rue's death - they did an awesome scene of the 2nd Quarter Quell showing how Haymitch won it.

Shaibana
11-26-2013, 10:41 PM
MainStay Pro - the people who did the scene with Rue's death - they did an awesome scene of the 2nd Quarter Quell showing how Haymitch won it.

Lol i just finished watching that vid right before seeing ur comment xD

Spooniest
11-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Haymitch kicks ass, for sure...actor who plays him is perfect

Denmark
11-27-2013, 01:49 AM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/1d6527ea66f043f3f78eb1741ce5be2b/tumblr_mwuxqueqSr1qewacoo1_500.jpg

Mirage
11-27-2013, 01:54 AM
i like the last picture better.

Psychotic
11-29-2013, 07:29 PM
I just saw it and it was p. good, I liked it more than I did the first one!

Are the books worth reading?

Spooniest
11-29-2013, 07:31 PM
I like that they don't go into exhaustive detail about things but just get the story on with.

Jinx
11-29-2013, 09:33 PM
I just saw it and it was p. good, I liked it more than I did the first one!

I'd say if you liked the second one, and thought the first one was okay, you might like the books! Of course a book experience is almost always better, but it might help with visuals. :) It's a fun (well...) series, and they're pretty fast reads.

Del Murder
11-30-2013, 01:13 AM
The books are great. Mockingjay kinda sucks at the end, but it's worth reading.

Jiro
11-30-2013, 03:41 AM
I'm really quite thrilled with how the story is translated onto the screen. I find the chemistry between Katniss and Peeta to be a lot better than it was in the books which makes her predicament a little more understandable. President Snow is a great antagonist, and holy fuck they nailed Finnick. Even though there are lots of little threads missing that I enjoyed in the books, I think the movies are damn near perfect in what they do show and how they show it.

Although come on there was no need to shoot an arrow into the ceiling.

Jinx
11-30-2013, 04:11 AM
I think the shooting the ceiling thing made much more sense in the books.

Jiro
11-30-2013, 07:04 AM
I was sure she just shot the wall :confused:

Jinx
11-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Oh, that's very well possible. When I've read it, I've always envisioned her shooting a spot above the tree. So the ceiling, essentially.

noxious.sunshine
11-30-2013, 04:55 PM
We watched it.

I fell asleep.

I'm turning into my mother. She's notorious for falling asleep in theaters.

Shaibana
12-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Oh, that's very well possible. When I've read it, I've always envisioned her shooting a spot above the tree. So the ceiling, essentially.

yeah, but i never imagened that it was an actual roof.. more like a forcefield, so i thought when she shot it, there would be a forcefield that dissapeared.. not an entire roof comming down

i dont like the thought of a Truman-show dome

noxious.sunshine (http://home.eyesonff.com/members/38914.html) shame on you... shame on you..

Miriel
12-02-2013, 02:05 PM

I loved the first two books. I actually went to the bookstore and got the last book in the trilogy on the day of its release, and the last time I had done that was for Harry Potter.

The last book was definitely not what I had wanted. But on the whole, yes, the Hunger Games is probably one of the best YA fiction to come out in recent years.

I really enjoyed this 2nd movie. I thought they crammed in everything they needed to and overall, it was better than the first one. But I really thought the secondary characters shined so much more in this film than the first and Katniss/Jennifer Lawrence wasn't as impressive as the first time around. Caesar Flickerman was perfection. Seriously the BEST. I cracked up every time he was on screen. Him, Effie, Joanna, Haymitch they were all so wonderfully realized.

Shaibana
12-02-2013, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=Psychotic;3334135]

the books are ok ^^
i just thought the name were very confusing since at some of them i couldnt make up if they were male of female

Del Murder
12-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Saw this over the weekend. It was pretty good. Flickerman was brilliant as always. Seeing how great and true to the source material these first two movies are makes me scared for the third movie. I wonder if they'll do a double-movie release a la Harry Potter and Twilight.

Shauna
12-02-2013, 04:28 PM
I wonder if they'll do a double-movie release a la Harry Potter and Twilight.

Yep. As far as I have heard.

Del Murder
12-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Balls.

Jiro
12-02-2013, 05:05 PM
ugh. I like the detail but double movie things are just horrible.

But yeah lemme also celebrate Stanley Tucci on playing Caeser even better than I could've imagined. The guy is just all class.

Jinx
12-02-2013, 06:00 PM
I love Caesar Flickerman so much.

Not that Del and Miriel saw, but after I saw Catching Fire, my Facebook status was about how I just want him and Effie to have a conversation and just watch it.

Del Murder
12-02-2013, 06:01 PM
That will probably be a better movie than whatever Mockingjay Part 2 ends up being. (Part 1 should be ok)

Psychotic
12-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Alright, I bought the books in a cheap Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Some Sort of Special Sunday Actually deal. If they suck (apart from the third one, thanks for the heads up) then on all of your heads be it!

Jinx
12-02-2013, 06:09 PM
I liked the third one. :shobon: It's definitely my least favorite of the three, but I wouldn't say it's BAD.

Del Murder
12-02-2013, 06:11 PM
The ending is bad and makes no sense. Some of the build up is kind of cool. The main problem with the third movie(s) (other than the ending) will be an increased role for Gail. Man he was really miscast.

Spooniest
12-02-2013, 06:28 PM
I like Katniss as a main character. She always seems to be the one with all the ideas.

Cinna rules as well.

Shaibana
12-02-2013, 07:18 PM
the 3rds ending is just.. i dont know, too fast perhaps (book spoiler) Seriousy, dont read if you dont want to know the end i still dont understand Coin's action with killing Prim etc, and President Snow deserves a more spectaculair death if you ask me

Del Murder
12-02-2013, 07:53 PM
I really hope they change the ending but I doubt it.

Jinx
12-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Coin didn't kill Prim exactly. I mean, it wasn't really intentional. Snow used Capitol children as a meat-shield figuring that District 13 wouldn't be heartless enough to sacrifice children. He was wrong. Prim was there to aid the children who were in the line of fire during the attack from District 13, when another round of bombs were sent in. If anything, Coin would've intentionally kept Prim ALIVE so as to keep Katniss on her side and on the side of District 13. She wanted her to continue to be the Mockingjay, and if District 13/Coin could no longer offer protection to Katniss' family and friends--but mostly Prim, the most beloved person in her life--why would she continue to be the propaganda Coin wanted?

And yeah, Del, Gale was never a favorite character of mine. I always hated him, but the actor they chose for him is just all sorts of wrong.

Shaibana
12-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Coin didn't kill Prim exactly. I mean, it wasn't really intentional. Snow used Capitol children as a meat-shield figuring that District 13 wouldn't be heartless enough to sacrifice children. He was wrong. Prim was there to aid the children who were in the line of fire during the attack from District 13, when another round of bombs were sent in. If anything, Coin would've intentionally kept Prim ALIVE so as to keep Katniss on her side and on the side of District 13. She wanted her to continue to be the Mockingjay, and if District 13/Coin could no longer offer protection to Katniss' family and friends--but mostly Prim, the most beloved person in her life--why would she continue to be the propaganda Coin wanted?

And yeah, Del, Gale was never a favorite character of mine. I always hated him, but the actor they chose for him is just all sorts of wrong.

book spoiler: yes, but wasnt it Coin who ordered the bomb attack, even though the children (and prim) were down there? making it 'colletaral damage'?

Jinx
12-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Well, yeah. But I don't think that was an intentional casualty.

Psychotic
12-10-2013, 09:04 PM
I read all three books in three days and have found your assessments to be accurate, thank you friends.

And yeah, Del, Gale was never a favorite character of mine. I always hated him, but the actor they chose for him is just all sorts of wrong.Actually it's specifically stated that Coin did it to utterly break Katniss so as to prevent her challenging her leadership. Katniss also observes that there is no way someone as young as Prim would be sent to the frontlines without authorisation from someone in a very high place. It was intentional.

Jinx
12-10-2013, 09:08 PM
That may very well be. I've only read Mockingjay two times? It's been a couple years since my last re-read, though. I'd really have to go back and look.

Well, she got hers.

Aulayna
12-21-2013, 07:49 PM
I hate to be that person, but...

I watched both films yesterday and thought they were... okay. Alright. Nothing special. I actually found myself getting bored at points during the second one, more so than the first. I guess I just found them a bit... predictable? I dunno, I never felt hooked and drawn in by them.

Hollycat
12-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Movie of the year. They won't be able to top it with the third, which is really sad.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-22-2013, 01:34 AM
I seent this. It was really good. Ending was absolutely fantastic.

Del Murder
12-22-2013, 06:11 PM
I hate to be that person, but...

I watched both films yesterday and thought they were... okay. Alright. Nothing special. I actually found myself getting bored at points during the second one, more so than the first. I guess I just found them a bit... predictable? I dunno, I never felt hooked and drawn in by them.
Have you read the books? It will be pretty predictable if you already know what happens... :tongue:

Aulayna
12-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Nah I haven't read the books. I guess having seen and read Battle Royale I sort of knew what to expect, but at least in that it focuses more on all the students for the most part. In this there was never really any questionable doubt that Katniss wouldn't survive. I guess seeing the first one when the sequel was already out didn't really help with that either, but even then the narrative is so centrally focused around Katniss there's no doubt that she'd survive.

In the films at least I don't really feel like any of the characters had any sort of depth to them. Perhaps this perception is better coming in with additional knowledge from the books. I dunno, the films just feel too centered around Katniss. Like I get she's the main character and all, but actual interesting plot progressing elements like "they bombed the hell out of district 12 but I got your mother and sister out in time" or what little elements of backstory we get about other characters are confined to like 3 minutes screentime each.

I guess more than anything I just find Katniss's character excrutiating in general and would love for some focus to be given to the other characters beyond a few minutes here and there. Honestly I would've found the 2nd film a lot more interesting if Katniss had actually died and that was the spark that ignited the rebellion. But for me I just found it predictable who allied with her and who didn't. I'm also expecting that in the third film one of those allies will betray Katniss, probably under the lure of power/money or due to love or blackmail from President Snow (or possibly all 3), but knowing the way the writing has been so far it will probably be the least interesting character of the lot and the justification and motives will get glossed over in 3 minutes.

I think these films just got so overhyped that I was expecting something pretty groundbreaking and engrossing, but really, the films at least are pretty average affairs, that just seem to toss cardboard cut out characters by the wayside as quick as they introduce them.

Maybe I'll give the books a read instead and see if I find those to be any better.

LunarWeaver
12-30-2013, 02:29 PM
I read all three books in three days and have found your assessments to be accurate, thank you friends.

And yeah, Del, Gale was never a favorite character of mine. I always hated him, but the actor they chose for him is just all sorts of wrong.Actually it's specifically stated that Coin did it to utterly break Katniss so as to prevent her challenging her leadership. Katniss also observes that there is no way someone as young as Prim would be sent to the frontlines without authorisation from someone in a very high place. It was intentional.

What are you like a smurfing robot D: I've been meaning to get around to the third book for, I dunno... Just forever.

I enjoy them well enough even if I'm not super into them as many seem to be. Still, the movies are better put together than I predicted. I would hang out with someone named Effie Trinket all day. I don't care if she talks about mahogony the whole time.

Josh Hutcherson is hot but Peeta isn't. It's puzzling to the funny feelings in my tummy.