PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Gifts

Yar
07-23-2013, 08:58 AM
So a few weeks back on my birthday, one of my friends gave me a little charm button thingy for Crocs. At first it was whatever, but I realize now it maybe the worst gift I've ever received!

First of all, I don't wear Crocs. Nor am I the kind of person who would wear Crocs. I talk about shoes all the time. Which kind I like, which ones look cool etc. I have never said a word about liking or wanting Crocs.

So this charm has no utility to me. It is bound for the trashcan someday.

It's not even about me being picky or wanting something expensive. Even a hug or something would have been better. But a freaking shoe charm that I can't use. I just... what. :| What am I supposed to do with it??

What are the worst gifts you've received?

Carl the Llama
07-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Oh Yar Yar Yar... have you never head of the saying "It's the thought that counts" :p

I don't really get many gifts when it comes to Birthdays/Christmas but I am always sure to be thankful for each and every gift that I receive and if someone ever gives me a gift that I don't want or need then I have something to give away to someone else.

Btw, as I type this to you I am wearing a pair of Crocs xD

Formalhaut
07-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Oh Yar Yar Yar... have you never head of the saying "It's the thought that counts" :p

Clearly the thought running through Yar's friend was this:

http://pics.livejournal.com/ecctv/pic/00eq5z4f

Just how much thought was really taken? Sure it is the thought that counts, but when so little thought has been taken into consideration, questions must be made.

It'd be like if someone earnestly gave me a lump of poo. Ur...thanks?

Carl the Llama
07-23-2013, 10:17 AM

Clearly the thought running through Yar's friend was this:

http://pics.livejournal.com/ecctv/pic/00eq5z4f

Just how much thought was really taken? Sure it is the thought that counts, but when so little thought has been taken into consideration, questions must be made.

It'd be like if someone earnestly gave me a lump of poo. Ur...thanks?

It's not the thought that went into the gift, it's the thought that it was his birthday and the person went out and bought him something out of his own pocket.

I know its no comparison but this thread made me think of this:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lws5ox3VBc1qh9cmio1_500.png

Again I know it's no comparison but that's just me.

Loony BoB
07-23-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm the kind of guy who gives out useless gifts. I do have a few that I've got, though, mostly ornamental ones or keyring decorations I don't want or whatever.

Pike
07-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Being a girl who was never into girl things has resulted in several horrible/useless gifts growing up. Barbies (gave them to my brother, HE liked them), earrings (never had my ears pierced so can't use 'em... :| ) and so forth.

Flaming Ice
07-23-2013, 11:13 AM
. Barbies (gave them to my brother, HE liked them),

Yeah, I knew some guy who kept naked barbies....had major crushes on anime characters too (nothing like loving someone who isn't real).

Probably the worst was a jam and cheese tray from my brother to me and my two other siblings too......I'd rather have nothing than that.......And he even bought two friends of his a pot of gold chocolates each. He always had some weird obsession with his male friends though

noxious.sunshine
07-23-2013, 01:20 PM
I got crappy Shampoo & Conditioner from my sister. Literally. I got like 3 bottles of each and it's the kind that jacks up my hair to no end with the shampoo and then I have to use 1/2 a bottle of the conditioner to get it to make my hair feel right. I was like "You gotta be joking me right now... A $10 gift card would've easily sufficed, dude. At least that's what I got -you- anyway." I'd even gone so far as to order one from Bonefish Grille (one of the few places that has a decent gluten-free menu).

I was really tempted to re-gift them back to her later, but I didn't. She made up for it the year after that though when she gave me another of her 8 million Coach bags she doesn't use.

I'm a gift-card person. IDK what people like or if they'll love or hate what I give them, so I just go the gift card route... It's rare that I come up with something cute/thoughtful..
I think the last time was the 1st Xmas I spent with my ex. He'd gotten a new printer for his laptop, so I bought him a package each of printer & photo paper, extra ink cartridges, a photo album, and had some of the pictures of him & his son printed off from his digital camera & put them in the album & put it all in a big basket for him along with his favorite snacky foods. Creativity & thoughtfulness only happens with me like once every 5 years or so.

Jinx
07-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Probably the worst was a jam and cheese tray from my brother to me and my two other siblings too......I'd rather have nothing than that.......And he even bought two friends of his a pot of gold chocolates each. He always had some weird obsession with his male friends though

Dude, that's an awesome gift. I don't know what's wrong with you.

Also, this thread is sort of childish, selfish, and complaining. I've gotten gifts that I didn't care much for or about, but I was still appreciative because like Carl said, someone spent time and/or money getting me something when they didn't have to. I don't care if it's your best friend or your family or your husband and it's Christmas or your birthday. They don't have to get you anything, and you should be grateful that someone out there cares enough about you to even attempt to get you something to recognize you're important to them.

Yar
07-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Also, this thread is sort of childish, selfish, and complaining....Welcome to General Chat?

Formalhaut
07-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Also, this thread is sort of childish, selfish, and complaining.

By complaining about the thread, you are contributing to the theme. :p

Pumpkin
07-23-2013, 03:53 PM
For Christmas, my family used to point out how my hair looks awful, my shirt is too wrinkled, why am I wearing those pants to a dinner? It's not like I'm working in the garden, I walk crooked, I don't sit up straight, I don't cut properly, wait this year I do cut properly, where did I learn that? It's just family, why am I cutting like I'm pretending I'm superior or something? Haven't you had enough potatoes? What do you mean you don't like onions? Eat them anyways, they're good for you.

Flaming Ice
07-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Dude, that's an awesome gift. I don't know what's wrong with you.

More than one thing I'm sure of it :)

Also, this thread is sort of childish, selfish, and complaining. I've gotten gifts that I didn't care much for or about, but I was still appreciative because like Carl said, someone spent time and/or money getting me something when they didn't have to. I don't care if it's your best friend or your family or your husband and it's Christmas or your birthday. They don't have to get you anything, and you should be grateful that someone out there cares enough about you to even attempt to get you something to recognize you're important to them.

But instead of going out of their way to get you something they just pick up and hand it to you, wouldn't you rather have them save their money and buy something important for themself?

They could keep that five dollars and make use of it rather than giving someone something they'll just throw out later.

Even a hand made card or nothing at all is much better than the person giving you something you'll toss as it's money wasted.

Jinx
07-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Except the fact that when buying gifts very few people go, "Hm...now what will so-and-so not like at all? I'll get them something they'll bitch about and throw away instead of genuinely like!"

People don't buy gifts like that, so saying that they should save their money instead of wasting it on shit is just rude. It really, really is.

Not to mention, as I said earlier, not everyone buys gifts because they feel entitled to. Some people buy gifts because they want to make someone happy or feel good, or to simply show they love that person. And saying, "Oh man, they bought me shit" is really a slap in the face to someone who was doing something nice for you.

Again: you don't have to like everything that you get. That's not what I'm saying. Complaining about it when they don't have to get you anything? Crappy.

Shauna
07-23-2013, 04:30 PM
The only time I complain about gifts is when people buy me a joint birthday-Christmas present because my birthday falls near Christmas. That's not cool at all, man. :colbert:

Otherwise, yeah, I try to appreciate any gift that people get me, regardless of how dumb/much I don't like it. :3

Jinx
07-23-2013, 04:31 PM
The only time I complain about gifts is when people buy me a joint birthday-Christmas present because my birthday falls near Christmas. That's not cool at all, man. :colbert:

This is actually pretty fair. Unless they bought you like a house or a car or something. Or a pony.

Shauna
07-23-2013, 04:35 PM
If someone were to buy me a house or a car or a pony I would not expect a present from them ever again.

noxious.sunshine
07-23-2013, 04:36 PM
For Christmas, my family used to point out how my hair looks awful, my shirt is too wrinkled, why am I wearing those pants to a dinner? It's not like I'm working in the garden, I walk crooked, I don't sit up straight, I don't cut properly, wait this year I do cut properly, where did I learn that? It's just family, why am I cutting like I'm pretending I'm superior or something? Haven't you had enough potatoes? What do you mean you don't like onions? Eat them anyways, they're good for you.

I may not have gotten as harsh of criticism as you have..

Oh wait. Yeah. My dad pretty much told me I look like straight garbage on a number of occasions after I moved back in with them (at their request). "You used to be so goddamn beautiful. Now look at you - you've let yourself go. You're ugly & fat now." - flat out. While my mom, off in the kitchen, is trying to shovel -more- food down my throat.

And I -swear- part of the reason my sister doesn't want to talk to me or hang out like we used to is 'cuz I gained a lot of weight.

Flaming Ice
07-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Except the fact that when buying gifts very few people go, "Hm...now what will so-and-so not like at all? I'll get them something they'll bitch about and throw away instead of genuinely like!"

People don't buy gifts like that, so saying that they should save their money instead of wasting it on trout is just rude. It really, really is.

Not to mention, as I said earlier, not everyone buys gifts because they feel entitled to. Some people buy gifts because they want to make someone happy or feel good, or to simply show they love that person. And saying, "Oh man, they bought me trout" is really a slap in the face to someone who was doing something nice for you.

Again: you don't have to like everything that you get. That's not what I'm saying. Complaining about it when they don't have to get you anything? Crappy.

I know, It's nice to get something, but it also feels bad if it just goes to waste.

Because there are some gifts you can give away after too but some people would either feel bad or complain if they knew you gave them away.

Besides that, some people just give you a gift because it's "necessary", it isn't necessary that I get something, that's just some dumb thought people get because they think they'll make someone feel bad if they don't get them anything at all so they just go out and get some random thing that they didn't even need to worry bout.

Flaming Ice
07-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Otherwise, yeah, I try to appreciate any gift that people get me, regardless of how dumb/much I don't like it. :3

My dad's birthday is close to Christmas, my mom would get him so many gifts he would tell her to leave some for his birthday.

noxious.sunshine
07-23-2013, 04:44 PM

My daughter's birthday is like 9 days after Giftmas.

But she's spoiled kinda so she gets like 8 Giftmases and 4 birthdays. It's ridiculous.

My dad's birthday is close to Christmas, my mom would get him so many gifts he would tell her to leave some for his birthday.

Pike
07-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Also, this thread is sort of childish, selfish, and complaining. I've gotten gifts that I didn't care much for or about, but I was still appreciative because like Carl said, someone spent time and/or money getting me something when they didn't have to.

How do you know the rest of us weren't appreciative either? :p Or alternatively five years old because lord knows we weren't model citizens at five.

You can acknowledge that a gift is not your thing while still being very appreciative for the thought, especially if it was several years after the fact.

Three days before Christmas reporting in, it does kind of suck.

Yar
07-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Like I said. I'm not picky. I even like useless gifts sometimes. I have about a dozen of those Asian hand fans. I don't use them at all. But I like them because they're cool and a nice little thing to have. I don't care if something is expensive or not. It's the thought that counts.

But that's exactly my point. It's like someone buying a bike lock as a gift for someone who doesn't even have a bike. Or gloves for a person with no hands. :| It's like... umm thanks?

If you think I'm genuinely upset about this, you're mistaken. :p The best gift my friends gave me for my birthday was fucking hanging out with me. No gift will ever beat that, and that's all I wanted really.

Rantz
07-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Complaining a bit about the gift doesn't mean you can't also appreciate the gesture. Geez. :p As long as you're not bitching the person out to mutual friends or to him-/herself, all is good and well.

I don't remember many bad gifts like that. When I was 16 or so, my sisters gave me a pillow with a crappy photo of myself printed on it, which was pretty bizarre. If I got that now I would think it campy and hilarious, but at the time I just hid it in a closet. And yes, I still appreciated the gift. I just thought it was a terrible choice of one. xD

Shorty
07-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Years ago, my ex and I moved into our first apartment right before my birthday, so for my birthday he got me all of this generic apartment stuff like a toothbrush holder, a shower curtain, some kitchen supplies and utensils and general apartment stuff. I knew exactly what was going through his mind when he did it ("this shows that I care about us living together and the decision we just made" etc) and I really, sincerely appreciated the thought process behind it. At the same time, none of the stuff was in my style and let's be honest, nobody wants a toothbrush holder or a shower curtain for their birthday. I was also just a little bit disappointed in that based on the gifts he got me, he didn't seem to know me as well as I thought he did.

But absolutely, I was appreciative of the effort and the message he was trying to send. That's about the only really non-par present-receiving I can think of.

Jinx
07-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Complaining a bit about the gift doesn't mean you can't also appreciate the gesture. Geez. :p As long as you're not bitching the person out to mutual friends or to him-/herself, all is good and well.

I don't remember many bad gifts like that. When I was 16 or so, my sisters gave me a pillow with a crappy photo of myself printed on it, which was pretty bizarre. If I got that now I would think it campy and hilarious, but at the time I just hid it in a closet. And yes, I still appreciated the gift. I just thought it was a terrible choice of one. xD

Okay, this is a wonderful gift too. xD

Calliope
07-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Every year Spuuky's parents give us stockings or baskets around the holidays - Easter, Christmas, Halloween, etc.; and we wish that they wouldn't. They are full of things like expired dollar store candy (that I can't eat even if I wanted to), religious playing cards, cheap finger puppets and items that were selected seemingly at random. Most of these items go straight to Goodwill or the rubbish, and we have tried to opt out of these gifts several times over the years, with no success. Spuuky's parents are very generous and obviously value gift giving as a family tradition, but more often than not it seems like we are being given stuff for the sake of it, with no real curation or thought towards what we might actually use or enjoy. Past Christmas gifts to my husband during his late twenties included a remote control helicopter, and a unicycle - both of which are in storage.

It is unfortunate to exchange gifts when it is obvious that the parties have opposite taste levels and desires. The purpose of the gift giving is to delight the recipient, but in cases like buying my husband a unicycle, that is a waste of money and he could have been easily pleased with something much cheaper and less novel. Watching him open that gift was probably one of the most awkward experiences of my life - he doesn't expect much, but it was obvious that sooner or later he would have to disappoint his parents because he wasn't about to lie and say that he loved it and spent his Saturdays zipping to and fro as if he were a circus clown.

It is a somewhat rare thing for me to receive gifts these days. My family never sends cards or presents, and the ones I receive from Spuuky's family are usually generic items purchased to fufill crossing my name off their shopping list. The gifts I most prize are things like handmade items, cards, letters, photos, heirlooms, books, pieces of jewellery. I thank people for the thought of their gift, but if it is something I truly feel I have benefitted from, then I make a point to tell them how I am enjoying it. I could write a pretty long list of those things, but perhaps that is for another thread.

Iceglow
07-23-2013, 11:05 PM
I got given a clock for christmas last year. I'm normally someone who doesn't mind functional gifts. However this is a shelf edge clock which in and of itself is pointless in my room where there are no shelves per-se. Also, the design is just completely wrong for my tastes. It's a "Salvador Dali" style melting clock. in chrome! I'm currently waiting the minimum time to give it to my youngest nephew.

Chemical
07-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Ghonorea.

Shlup
07-24-2013, 02:07 AM
Every year Spuuky's parents give us stockings or baskets around the holidays - Easter, Christmas, Halloween, etc.; and we wish that they wouldn't. They are full of things like expired dollar store candy (that I can't eat even if I wanted to), religious playing cards, cheap finger puppets and items that were selected seemingly at random. Most of these items go straight to Goodwill or the rubbish, and we have tried to opt out of these gifts several times over the years, with no success. Spuuky's parents are very generous and obviously value gift giving as a family tradition, but more often than not it seems like we are being given stuff for the sake of it, with no real curation or thought towards what we might actually use or enjoy. Past Christmas gifts to my husband during his late twenties included a remote control helicopter, and a unicycle - both of which are in storage.
I didn't realize we had the same mother-in-law! Every Christmas and Easter we end up with a huge pile of candy and dollar store toys that mostly end up in the trash. There's usually an item or two we do like, but it's mostly just stuff given for the sake of giving without thinking about who it's being given to. Thankfully, my mother-in-law insisted we start Amazon Wish Lists for non-stocking gifts so she just gets stuff off that. She's all kindness and generosity, but she really has no skill for understanding the tastes of other people.

I'm too old to get gifts from most of my family, but the usual sources of bad gifts are my grandmothers. For my baby shower, BJ's grandmas got the baby strollers and car seats and clothes and other cute things. My Mema got the baby a blanket that her neighbor crocheted (when she herself is a quilter) and hymn CDs. My Nana got the baby a hat and pink and green tie-dye crocs.

But I still love them and like them and feel like an ass for even complaining about gifts, so thanks a lot, Yar.

Jinx
07-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Denmark just bought me my birthday presents and I bet they all suck.

Denmark
07-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Denmark just bought me my birthday presents and I bet they all suck.

after i told foa what I got Sam:

[20:58:32] <foa> A+ #1 bf material

she already knows I got her My Little Doctor: TARDIS is Magic on DVD anyway

fire_of_avalon
07-24-2013, 03:42 AM
I made a post but then I felt so guilty I had to delete it.

Jinx
07-24-2013, 03:54 AM
You said what they were, didn't you?

Sephex
07-24-2013, 04:07 AM
I got an ice cream cone with full peanuts in it. Like, with the shell and everything.

Quindiana Jones
07-24-2013, 04:07 AM
For my 21st birthday, my sister bought me an inflatable zombie head.

And she had the audacity to complain to everyone when I got her a perfectly nice jumper. :(

Sephex
07-24-2013, 04:11 AM
For my 21st birthday, my sister bought me an inflatable zombie head.

And she had the audacity to complain to everyone when I got her a perfectly nice jumper. :(

The only solution is to wear the jumper as a mask and make her put on the zombie mask in place of the jumper. Not the one with Anakin Skywalker, though.

Quindiana Jones
07-24-2013, 04:21 AM
It was actually a horrible jumper bought at the last possible moment, and I forgot to give it to her on time anyway, so she received it 5 months after her birthday. :/

Jiro
07-24-2013, 05:57 AM
Timekeeper bought me a gunblade but the firing mechanism doesn't even work what the hell Timekeeper way to get me a shit gift etc etc etc

I'm always appreciative of the things I get whether they are deep and thoughtful gifts or pointless novelty items or even this one time that I got a dodgy 'placeholder' gift back which was basically a metallic tag off some shorts I bought once and the fact he still had that to return was just the most ridiculous but fulfilling thing and all I did was chuck the thing out a few weeks later.

Rebellious Eagle
07-24-2013, 06:25 AM
I tend to hold onto all of my gifts because I can't stand throwing away things people have cared enough to give me. That being said I think one time I received a T-shirt I already had...

Christmas
12-13-2022, 08:29 AM
I got a naked Quin for my bday last year. It was saddening because I wanted a limited edition of Bikini Psychotic or G-String Loony BoB. I ate the person who gave me that present and buried the Quin alive in my backyard. :mad2: