PDA

View Full Version : Aight. Filipino vs. Mexican Food

noxious.sunshine
07-24-2013, 02:34 AM
Chris brought this on, but I've seen a couple of "Filipino" foods that are used in Mexican cooking.

Yes, I know the history - Mexico & the Philippines were invaded about the same time by Spain.

Whatever. Bump that mess.

My BF made "Guisado" thinking he was being all Flip and junk, and he probably was. He probably doused the stuff in Soy Sauce with Calamansi or whatever. But.. IDK. I didn't watch.

And seriously, all I had to do was heat up some corn tortillas and it was totes Mexican.

I also found the "Adobo" seasoning in his pantry when I moved in.

It just rocks my socks that ish is so similar though in several instances.

Shorty
07-24-2013, 02:41 AM
Really?

Mexican. No contest.

Jinx
07-24-2013, 02:41 AM
You honestly probably shouldn't use racial slurs on the forum. I know you don't mean it to be offensive, but some people could really take offense to it.

I've never had Filipino food, so I can't say. I'd probably like it, though. I love Mexican food. The spicier, the better.

Agent Proto
07-24-2013, 03:54 AM
Ah yes, being raised on Filipino food, I can say that I enjoy them very much. My favorite would be Sinigang! I also like the chicken adobo and Filipino style spaghetti. They put hotdogs and use brown sugar in the sauce. And another staple food I love is lumpia and siapao! Yum!

CimminyCricket
07-24-2013, 04:02 AM
I prefer Dominican ;c). But if I had to choose between the two options I would go with Mexican. I love me some cheese enchiladas.

noxious.sunshine
07-24-2013, 04:26 AM
.... I honestly have no comment on the racial slur thing.. Maybe I was wrong for that and I apologize, but -How- many times have things like this been said? That's neither here nor there. And that's not a debate I'm going to get into. So there's that.

The basis of the topic is that a lot of Philippino food is similar to Mexican. The "guisado" that my boyfriend made was pretty much a Mexican dish that I have made many times - ground beef simmered in tomato sauce with diced potatoes, onion, garlic, tomato, and whatever. Oh wait. He threw in diced bell peppers. In the Mexican version of this, I make it with that plus a lot of jalepeno depending on how much I've made of the ground beef mix, and then as stated before, I heat up corn tortillas and make "tacos".

Of course the Mexican version of "Guisado" uses sliced/cubed steak and is made with potatoes, tomatoes, and like serrano peppers. The usual way it's made is extremely spicy. And, "Guisado" - from what I know, means "Stew" in both languages. But the Filipino version is served ladled over steamed white rice and the Mexican version is just served as a spicy stew with corn tortillas, Mexican Red Rice, & Beans on the side. That version could very well be a "Tex-Mex" deal though, but my ex made it a lot.

Either way, I just happened to find several similarities between the 2.

Chris
07-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Filipino food vs. What? :confused:

Jinx
07-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Now I want Mexican food, but the Mexican food here isn't Mexican food. :(

noxious.sunshine
07-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Now I want Mexican food, but the Mexican food here isn't Mexican food. :(

I will cook for you Sam *pat pat*

I make good Mexican food.

NorthernChaosGod
07-25-2013, 01:24 AM
Can I use a racial slur against my own people? Just curious.

Anyway, definitely Mexican food. I could probably eat just Mexican food for the rest of my life and be happy.

Shorty
07-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Anyway, definitely Mexican food. I could probably eat just Mexican food for the rest of my life and be happy.

Absofuckinglutely.

Lonely Paper Star
07-25-2013, 01:34 AM
I haven't had much true Mexican food (not sure if you count Tex Mex, though), but I did grow up mostly on Filipino food. So of course I'm going to choose Filipino. I actually get kind of snippy if people snub my culture's food. Lol.

I don't know much about the similarities except for empanadas and such. I guess Filipinos just made some things catered more to their tastes. But I also know that Mexican menudo is very different from Filipino menudo. And there is no spiciness in our food. At all. Sweet chili sauce for the lumpia doesn't count. XD

And adobo seasoning? What?

noxious.sunshine
07-25-2013, 05:02 AM
I haven't had much true Mexican food (not sure if you count Tex Mex, though), but I did grow up mostly on Filipino food. So of course I'm going to choose Filipino. I actually get kind of snippy if people snub my culture's food. Lol.

I don't know much about the similarities except for empanadas and such. I guess Filipinos just made some things catered more to their tastes. But I also know that Mexican menudo is very different from Filipino menudo. And there is no spiciness in our food. At all. Sweet chili sauce for the lumpia doesn't count. XD

And adobo seasoning? What?

It's. Adobo. Seasoning.

From what I know, Goya is a Puerto Rican brand. But my boyfriend had it in his pantry when I moved in. I've used this a great many times as it's been a staple in my household since like '07.

And yeah. That's what I was talking about in general. Like there are quite a few words for dishes that are the same in Mexican & Filipino cooking, but they're different. Like the menudo thing. Mexican menudo is made with like pork feet & intestines, hominy, and other things. IDK how Filipino menudo is made. And now I'm curious to know.

Chris
07-25-2013, 12:47 PM
"Adobo seasoning" is like garlic in a bottle. Adobo is not traditionally a seasoning, but more of a sauce used to marinade meat, chicken, fish and so on.

NeoCracker
07-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Last saturday I was drinking at work (I know, great job right?) and after I was fairly loaded and we were all taking out bask I asked Stephanie a question, "Is Delay (Our boss) Mexican or Asian?" cause sometimes I end up thinking Philipino's are mexican when they aren't.

Turns out he's a different kind of asain entirely!

And yeah, not a fan of either food. :p

noxious.sunshine
07-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Hahaha ... My boyfriend almost got deported to Mexico one time. His last name is Marquez and the police got him confused with someone else by the same name. They showed up at his mom's house in Cali ready to send him South. He has a picture of my daughter as his wallpaper and his co-workers that see it think she's really his kid even though she's Mexican.

.... They actually do kinda look alike though.

Pike
07-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Never had Filipino food in my life so I'm going to have to go with Mexican by default.

Lonely Paper Star
07-25-2013, 05:25 PM
IDK how Filipino menudo is made. And now I'm curious to know.

http://www.magluto.com/wp-content/gallery/pinoy-food-photo/filipino-recipe-menudo_0.jpg

We cook it with pork, sometimes hot dogs, potatoes, carrots, and raisins in a tomato sauce seasoned by garlic, soy sauce, some sugar, salt/pepper, and bay leaves. Some recipes add pig liver, but we don't usually.

This is eaten with rice, of course. Can't eat this without rice.

41-Inches-Wide
07-28-2013, 01:28 AM
That is a mean menudo! I would definitely ask for seconds. I had a video of me cooking menudo, but it involved dancing. It's not very helpful.

I'm more used to Filipino food so I can take it for granted. A month ago, I had Taco Bell for the first time so... I think I'm in love.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-28-2013, 02:43 AM
I like 'em both, but from the looks of it I would prefer Fillipino menudo.

noxious.sunshine
07-28-2013, 03:27 AM
Mexican Menudo is disgusting

sharkythesharkdogg
07-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Mexican Menudo is disgusting

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QQTZZToG31I/TD_Ex2v0YdI/AAAAAAAAAcI/BA0NkGGhUF0/s400/menudo_1.jpg

I know they dress funny, but that's still pretty rude. I think they aren't from Mexico, but eh. It's a joke.

Jinx
07-28-2013, 02:20 PM
I want a pair of those pants.

noxious.sunshine
07-28-2013, 04:16 PM
I knew that was gonna pop up. lol

Pike
08-01-2013, 11:08 AM
I made tacos the other night and they were great

Granted I only use tacos as an excuse to eat utterly absurd amounts of guacamole but YOU KNOW

Night Fury
08-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I love love love love Mexican food. I would go back to Mexico in a heartbeat to eat the food again.

Haven't eaten much Philipino food, but I'd love to try. I might have a look at some recipes online.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-01-2013, 07:15 PM
I made tacos the other night and they were great

Granted I only use tacos as an excuse to eat utterly absurd amounts of guacamole but YOU KNOW

So that explains where you're getting vegetables in your diet. :tongue:

yukina
08-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Adobo seasoning what? I have no idea how that's gonna help in cooking the actual dish.

Grew up on a mix of cuisines but I always go back to Filipino food which is my first love. :) The similarity with Mexican and Filipino food actually kinda depends on the region in the Philippines. Some regions are closer to true Spanish cuisine than others.

And there is no spiciness in our food. At all. Sweet chili sauce for the lumpia doesn't count. XD

Oh, I wouldn't say none. Bicol express and laing are pretty high on the spicy meter. Also, the northern cuisine tend to rely heavily on peppers in both the viands and the sauces. :)

Shlup
08-03-2013, 05:53 AM
You can't live in Southern California and not love Mexican food.

noxious.sunshine
08-03-2013, 06:08 PM

you can't live -anywhere- and not love Mexican food.

Relena Peacecraft
08-03-2013, 06:20 PM
I've eaten a bunch of Filipino food since one of my stepdads is Filipino, and I think some of it's good, and some of it's really kind of strange. I'm not sure what "Mexican" food I've had that's really Mexican and what's Tex-Mex, but in any case, I did occasionally notice some similarities between them. One thing I noticed is that I tire of the Filipino stuff a lot faster than I do the Mexican. Maybe that's just because I was introduced to it at a later age.

I don't know how much of what he made was Filipino and how much he picked up elsewhere, but the two things I probably liked most were some kind of yellow chicken curry and some kind of reddish-brown stuff with (I think) beef, carrots, potatoes, hot dogs, and maybe something else I've forgotten. It's been three years.

You won't catch me eating any balut, though.

Shlup
08-04-2013, 04:51 AM

There are people in this world who've never had a taco.

noxious.sunshine
08-04-2013, 10:31 AM

There are people in this world who've never had a taco.

those poor children........ and Chris.