PDA

View Full Version : The nerds with a passion for fashion!

Quindiana Jones
07-24-2013, 03:05 PM
RPGs have lots of stuff. Are you a stats gamer, or a looks gamer?

I will very often sacrifice statistical benefits for the sake of looking as cool as possible. In Skyrim, I currently wear Master Robes with Blades Gauntlets and Boots. I usually rely of Skin spells for defence, because my god I die quickly. But it looks coooool, man. Cooooooool.

Morrowind and Dragon's Dogma are great games for someone like me. They, as one would in real life, allow you to wear some clothing with armour, and Morrowind even lets you customise pauldrons! It makes me happy making a heavily armoured left arm for my shield-bearing warrior, as I can keep his right arm light for quick attacks with his short swords.

Ooh, Mount and Blade is also great for this. I love looking cool! :D

Psychotic
07-24-2013, 05:58 PM
I would love it if more games had it so that you could make armour look p much however you want, and then your own crafting skill dictates how awesome it is. It allows for more customisation for everyone's characters rather than, say in Skyrim's case, everyone in Daedric.

Shorty
07-24-2013, 06:24 PM
I will very often sacrifice statistical benefits for the sake of looking as cool as possible.

Yep, absolutely.

Skyblade
07-24-2013, 06:28 PM
I will very often sacrifice statistical benefits for the sake of looking as cool as possible.

Yep, absolutely.

As would I.

And is it sad that the huge customization/dress up options are part of why I'm so looking forward to Lightning Returns?

Madame Adequate
07-24-2013, 10:18 PM
I had hoped this thread would be about the game Style Savvy.

I tend to not give a crap what I look like and worry about stats more, but then again I'm so stellar that I usually end up looking like a badass anyway.

Pike
07-24-2013, 10:21 PM
I tend to not give a crap what I look like and worry about stats more, but then again I'm so stellar that I usually end up looking like a badass anyway.

Yep, same goes for me. I mean I have some favorite sets of armor and whatnot but I'm not going to sacrifice stats for looks.

Tigmafuzz
07-24-2013, 10:50 PM

Getting your ass handed to you because your stats suck doesn't look cool at all, though. In a lot of games, if I have the ability to edit the stats of armor in any way, or if I'm able to mod the way it looks, then I'll do so. That way I'll have the awesome stats and look cool. However, if I can't, then I'll just worry about the stats. Looking cool doesn't matter as much as saving money on health potions and beating up enemies more quickly.

Raistlin
07-24-2013, 10:54 PM
I am with MILF and Pike -- utility over looks. I am all stats, all the time. I will unhesitatingly kick your fashionable asses all over the place with the objectively best equipment available.

Pete for President
07-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Originality over everything. I try to use equipment hardly anyone uses and act like the underdog.

NeoCracker
07-24-2013, 11:52 PM
It depends actually.

In a game like Skyrim or a lot of linear RPG's that change appearance based on outfit, I'll typically grab the best due to just how big a difference there is.

In a game like White Knight Chronicles where the differences between the three top tear armors was pretty small, I'd go for looks.

We need more games to go that route where you have multiple sets of armor at similar or Identical stats with different looks, or the ability to craft your armor to look different yet retain the same effects to add variety.

NorthernChaosGod
07-24-2013, 11:55 PM
I definitely go for stats. If I'm not steamrolling things, then I'm doing it wrong (or the game is really hard :erm: ).

Quindiana Jones
07-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Dark Souls is a great game in which skill greatly outweighs stats, so there's another one to add to my fashionista list. :D

Bolivar
07-25-2013, 12:53 AM
In Guild Wars 2, I'd sacrifice a little bit of stats for better fashion all the time. That's also a game where your skills and game knowledge always goes a lot further than a few points on the character sheet, so it was worth it. The dying system is pretty fantastic as well, so fashionistas have a lot going for them in that game.

In the Elder Scrolls I tend to go around without a helmet pretty frequently, but when it comes to hardcore spelunking, I gotta completely suit up for that.

Vyk
07-25-2013, 03:49 AM
In Skyrim, I typically wear weak armor that I've boosted at a forge. I prefer style. But then again, I also prefer a challenge. If I have souped up Daedric crap on all the time, I can just walk through the game. But if I can die in 4 or 5 hits, then its more satisfying, and slightly more realistic. I'll go for style every time, because it makes it feel more believable to me. I don't really like that Final Fantasy complex, where you're basically a god by the end of the game and nothing can touch you

TrollHunter
07-25-2013, 04:22 AM
I turn all my RPGs into fashion shows.
I'll kick your asses while looking absolutely fabulous.

Madame Adequate
07-25-2013, 04:37 AM
Dark Souls is a great game in which skill greatly outweighs stats, so there's another one to add to my fashionista list. :D

Yeah once you get good at DaS it's all about the dressup (And ridiculous gimmick runs).

Quindiana Jones
07-25-2013, 05:22 AM
Also, by not having the greatest armour in Skyrim, I find myself relying on my shield more, and my god if it isn't the best skill tree in the whole game. <3

The shitey Wanderer's Coat from Dark Souls is easily one of the best looking pieces in the game. I love it.

Pumpkin
07-25-2013, 05:28 AM
I sadly sacrifie looks for stats. I don't play many games where your outfit changes with armor, but I do play games where the weapons and such look different and some are just so pretty but then I have to upgrade and I sadface and sigh and stop playing for a few days.

TrollHunter
07-25-2013, 05:39 AM
Also, by not having the greatest armour in Skyrim, I find myself relying on my shield more, and my god if it isn't the best skill tree in the whole game. <3

The troutey Wanderer's Coat from Dark Souls is easily one of the best looking pieces in the game. I love it.

Offtopic: You're saying the wanderer's coat is shitty? It actually has some of the best defenses out there for its weight.

Quindiana Jones
07-25-2013, 06:05 AM
You don't wear light armour for the defence, though. ;)