PDA

View Full Version : Guess the location. It's super addictive.

Pike
07-25-2013, 10:23 AM
http://www.geoguessr.com/

Tell me your best scores and closest hits!

I was within nine kilometers of this place outside of Los Angeles :smug:

The Man
07-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Obligatory xkcd

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/geoguessr.png

Maybe I'll give this a try sometime

Jiro
07-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Within 16km of this place in Italy.

Helps that I "spawned" right next to a sign that said "5 Vincenza"

And I still got it wrong.

Should've used the sun to get my bearings a little more.

Loony BoB
07-25-2013, 10:55 AM
At work. Can't play Geography game. God dammit. ;_; I love these kind of games. We used to play a game where you had to click where on Earth named cities were and I would rock at it.

Jiro
07-25-2013, 11:02 AM
My geography skills are fucking horrendous, so much so that even while using Google to search signs I still end up thousands of kilometres out. :( I'm too impatient for this though, I find the nearest sign, google it, and then guess xD

NeoCracker
07-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Round 1: Clicked in Montana, because there were no buidlings, only road, dry planes, and a side dirt road.
Your guess was 1258.189 km from the correct location and gave 2103 points

Round 2: Could see a car driving in right lane, so North America somewhere. There was a river, a lot of forests, and high mountains. I guessed around Yellowstone National Park.
Your guess was 828.17 km from the correct location and gave 2246 points.

Round 3: Sings dictate it's not america as nothing is in english and the road signs are different. I'm not sure where else people drive on the right side of the road, but I see a lot of cross's, so Imma guess somewhere in Italy.
Your guess was 3267.307 km from the correct location and gave 1755 points. (Was actually Russia.)

Round 4: Seems I'm by the ocean now. Rather Rocky and no beaches, and I'm centered on this weird drive up road to a small stone building. I can see two cars parked there and an old guy looking out over the ocean. how sweat. Given the buildings are kind of stone and look like the mexican part of town in New Mexico (I just remember my friend calling it that while there. :P) so Imma say mexican coast... just outside Tepic is where my choice is made!

Your guess was 10760.973 km from the correct location and gave 387 points. (Little Island area just ouside the tip of italy's boot. :p)

Round 5: Signs and words seem to indicate it's in Russia again. Not likely to far north as there is no snow, not that I'm that big an expert on Russian weather patterns. :p So le'ts place the guess at Kemerovo!

Your guess was 2872.955 km from the correct location and gave 1815 points. (It was in russia, just to far east.)

Edit: Second go!

Second go!

Round 1: Puts me and a dirt road with no signs, vehicles, or any distinguishable features.... Nebraska?
Nope, Bostwana in fucking Africa.

Round 2: On a beat down bridge over a river, I can see some non-english Graphitti in two spots, drivers in the right lane again, and the dude riding a motorbike I can make out is wearing an entire helmet over his Elbow, and is white. Let's try Italy again!

And it's in Brazil.

Round 3: Okay I cheated, I saw a sign that said Nass river and googled that shit. :p

Only 480KM off!

Round 4: No readable signs, road, trees, and a car in the distance. They are on the right side of the road again though! Try for that Nebraska one more time!

...South Africa outside of this Welkom place. :(

Round 5: Middle of Suberbs, cars on right side of the road, and a van that says security services. Most likely in america here. Bit dry looking, doesn't look like Cali or Idaho Suberbs, so lets try Utah!

And it's Torronto.

Eded at 3223 points that run!

Goldenboko
07-25-2013, 12:50 PM
12,000 points due to an epic San Antonio Guess: GeoGuessr - Let's explore the world! (http://url.geoguessr.com/3ECR)

Khaotic
07-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Your guess was 5.545 km from the correct location and gave 6037 points.

My closest one

Rantz
07-25-2013, 01:12 PM
This is awesome. I'll never have to travel again.

Denmark
07-25-2013, 01:30 PM
1. On a road near "Ocean State Baptist Church". Rhode Island is the Ocean State. A little bit down the road is a sign for "Smithfield Golf". Smithfield, RI, then. Play around with the map for a bit, find my intersection.
Your guess was 0.02 km from the correct location and gave 6477 points.

2. A much less populated area. Pine foliage and state of the road indicate the American West, likely somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. Let's have a go somewhere in Colorado.
lol, British Columbia. Your guess was 2298.143 km from the correct location and gave 1903 points.

3. A dry area, barren dirt road. Foliage at first suggests the Rockies again, but clicking around a bit finds a sign with a very non-English name on it. But then other signs are in English and have North American signage. I can't imagine Google StreetView being available in a strange location in the middle of Asia. Maybe the name of that campground is a native Canadian thing (it seemed like Anglicized Russian at first). Let's try somewhere in REAAAAAAL northern Canada.
Your guess was 629.992 km from the correct location and gave 2348 points.

4. A narrow, paved road in some mountains in winter. Signs are NOT indicative of North America. Let's try Europe.
I guessed the Alps, it was Norway. Meh. Your guess was 1819.784 km from the correct location and gave 1984 points.

5. Flat, American farmland. There's a sign that says "Christian County". That doesn't narrow it down all that much, that could be anywhere in the Bible Belt. Let's just guess somewhere in Illinois (it seems kinda centralized).
Your guess was 114.313 km from the correct location and gave 3109 points.

You got 15821 points in total.
GeoGuessr - Let's explore the world! (http://url.geoguessr.com/3EEB)

Slothy
07-25-2013, 01:55 PM
I played around with this when I found it maybe a month ago or something. Closest I ever came to a spot was under a few meters away from a place in Peggy's Cove Nova Scotia.

Let the addiction begin again.

Maybe the name of that campground is a native Canadian thing (it seemed like Anglicized Russian at first).]

There are a lot of places in Canada with native names.

theundeadhero
07-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Most of the world drives in the right lane, Neocracker. It's a bigger help if the picture shows them driving in the left.

Closest was 114.5 meters. Total points 9869.
http://url.geoguessr.com/3EGx

Raistlin
07-25-2013, 08:15 PM
10583. Closest was within 4 kms due to an obvious Hong Kong location. Two others were barren, empty roads in the middle of stretches of woods.

Psychotic
07-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Australia smurfs me over. Like Raistlin, 4km for obvious Hong Kong.

Raistlin
07-25-2013, 08:41 PM
I tried to stay away. I really did. But after dicking around EoFF for a little while, I had to come back. Stupid game. :(

The upshot is that I got a new closest hit. The thing plopped me right on an intersection in Newport, Rhode Island, complete with full view of street and highway signs. Within 0.004 km for 6479 points (total for the round: 14598).

Madame Adequate
07-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Jesus Wes! I thought I did well getting a hit at 0.144km last night!

Raistlin
07-25-2013, 08:49 PM
That was through no virtue of mine. I could even see business names, which included "Newport" prominently, to tell me the town (ok, so knowing that was in RI may have still been difficult for you foreigners). And I was easily able to find that precise intersection on the map, thanks to the readily-viewable street signs telling me exactly what each street was. I doubt it is even possible to get an easier one, at least for me.

CimminyCricket
07-25-2013, 09:22 PM
I've failed to break 9.8k so far. Best guess was 100+km for 3100 points. Best clue ever? Drop me smack dab in front of an American flag.

murica

Found it. Got two streets and a bunch of businesses. 1.4km or so. I'm so happy :bigsmile:

Unbreakable Will
07-25-2013, 09:33 PM
GeoGuessr - Let's explore the world! (http://url.geoguessr.com/3F5s)

Denmark
07-25-2013, 09:35 PM
I tried to stay away. I really did. But after dicking around EoFF for a little while, I had to come back. Stupid game. :(

The upshot is that I got a new closest hit. The thing plopped me right on an intersection in Newport, Rhode Island, complete with full view of street and highway signs. Within 0.004 km for 6479 points (total for the round: 14598).

better than my 0.02km which was also in Rhode Island. how far away from a place in Rhode Island can you really be, though?

when I get home I'll challenge my own high score again. come at me brosephs

Mirage
07-25-2013, 10:11 PM
This abomination made me come 10 minutes late to work. Screw you all. Also, I've gotten 11k points at the most so far. Also, there are way too many american locations.

Rebellious Eagle
07-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Not so hot my first round, only got 8463 points D: stupid vague islands all look the same

Pike
07-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Honestly the one that always throws me off is freaking Canada.

"Oooooh that looks so American"

"AHAHAHAHA joke's on you it's Canada."

I've started defaulting to clicking on Canada if it looks American and it's made my score go up a lot.

Raistlin
07-25-2013, 10:44 PM
For trouts and giggles, what's the farthest off you've been?

I just decided to do a couple more while procrastinating doing actual work, and I just had a scene in the middle of a rural area by a construction site and some woods. I saw a road sign a little ways off that, for the life of me, looked just US road signs (a yellow diamond with black road symbols on it). There were no other distinguishing features, so I just figured I'd go with buttsmurf nowhere, northern Midwest US, and picked northern Iowa randomly.

"Your guess was 13928.219 km from the correct location and gave 125 points."

smurfing Australia. :|

EDIT: After Australia, Canada is the worst. Even if I think it's Canada, it's so big that I can be 2,000 miles off anyway. South Park was smurfing right.

Brazil has done that to me, too. I get so proud of myself for noticing Portuguese and thinking Brazil, but then: yes, you got the country correct, but you were still 1500 miles off. Here are your measely 1000 points.

EDIT2: Ahaha, later in that same series, I had those same signs, along with trees and some houses that definitely didn't look American. "Aha," I thought, "Australia, I've got you now."

Turns out it was... BRAZIL!!! :argh:

Rantz
07-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Honestly the one that always throws me off is freaking Canada.

"Oooooh that looks so American"

"AHAHAHAHA joke's on you it's Canada."

I've started defaulting to clicking on Canada if it looks American and it's made my score go up a lot.

I'm the same with Africa/Australia. I'll be all, oh this looks totally African! And then it's Australia.

I also had one where the first thing in my sights was a big sign reading "WELCOME TO BETTER BEEF COUNTRY" and I was like LOL ONLY IN AMERICA and then that was also Australia.

Raistlin
07-25-2013, 10:55 PM
If there's one thing I've learned from this stupid game, it's that everything can be in Australia.

Jinx
07-25-2013, 10:55 PM
That I'm either going crazy, or that someone is pulling a really elaborate troll on me...

CimminyCricket
07-25-2013, 10:57 PM
My lowest score for a guess was 55 points. I was half the world away. I assumed Europe and it was Australia.

Mirage
07-25-2013, 11:04 PM
I generally look around until i see some sort of road sign, if there are any. Also, flags, advertisements, writing on cars.

Pike
07-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Oh man yeah Aussieland/Africa throws me off. If it looks really bizarre and alien it's one of the two and I often can't tell the difference. Roadsigns and cars can help but if you're in the middle of nowhere then you're SOL.

The other pain in the ass country is Russia, for obvious reasons.

CimminyCricket
07-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Just beat my previous low score record. I thought Canada, it was Australia. 54 points for being over 16k km away.

Edit: My location gave me city, state and street. I was .001 kilometers away. Beat that EoFF!

CimminyCricket: Champion for Life

Denmark
07-25-2013, 11:20 PM
if someone gets 20k km away they should get max points since that is as far away as you can be

Mirage
07-25-2013, 11:41 PM
I also suddenly got put in a location with... no roads. I couldn't move in any direction.

Rebellious Eagle
07-25-2013, 11:51 PM
I got over 14000 points this time since one picture gave me the name of the town and another picture had a building with Russian letters on it...

Mirage
07-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Whenever i russian letters i just click somewhere close to the middle of the european part of russia. I have no way of telling where in russia it is, or if it is in some ex-soviet state.

Rebellious Eagle
07-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Whenever i russian letters i just click somewhere close to the middle of the european part of russia. I have no way of telling where in russia it is, or if it is in some ex-soviet state.

Yeah, the issue is Russia is so big, I clicked on one end of the country and it was all the way on the other side near Japan -_-

Slothy
07-26-2013, 12:25 AM
There's a Miami in Manitoba? Who knew?

Denmark
07-26-2013, 01:19 AM
16478 points. 2 really really good guesses (0.009km and 0.219km), 2 really really bad guesses (guessed Scotland when it was South Africa, guessed South Africa when it was Australia), and one decent guess (guessed Kansas when it was in Nebraska)

edit: just got 19248 with help from google for some really specific ones. gotta break 20k

sharkythesharkdogg
07-26-2013, 02:59 AM
I tried once, and got 10,616 points. I got a spot in Italy only 45 km from the actual spot, followed by a place in Australia that I thought was Kansas. The only thing I had to go on was a pixelated sign that looked like a U.S. children at play sign.

Sir Lancealot
07-26-2013, 04:02 AM
Got 12600, even though I thought some dirt from Brazil was in Ethiopia.

Laddy
07-26-2013, 04:26 AM

Btw, Southern Africa and Australia are the same fucking place. I swear.

Jiro
07-26-2013, 04:26 AM
Australia is easy enough for a native to identify, but the whole fucking country looks about the same.

Pumpkin
07-26-2013, 04:29 AM
I got over 6000 the first time because I suck at this game, and 10 100 or something like that the second time.

Raistlin
07-26-2013, 04:32 AM
So settling back in for the night, I couldn't help but try my hand again a few more times. I was wrong that I would never find an easier one than the Newport, RI scene. I could instead be placed smack dab next to an ambulance that says in large, clear letters: “San Diego Medical Services.” 0.036 km.

This turned out to be by far the easiest round yet, with my new personal high score. I didn’t realize until the end it was going to get so high or I would’ve kept better notes.

Another one: Coming across a bridge, by a clearly US speed limit and other road signs. Looks like Northern/Midwest. I zoom in on a green road sign that seems to say “Marsing.” No smurfing clue. I see another sign farther off in the other direction that looks like “Boise.” Aha! I find Boise, ID on the map and snoop around bodies of water for a minute, and find a “Marsing” road that goes across water to the west. 0.12 km.

Ironically, one of my worst ones that round I thought was going to be another easy one, at least for a few thousand points. I was set down right next to a building with a Norwegian flag flying out front, on a snowy road surrounded by snowy rocks and not much else. I figure buttsmurf nowhere, northern Norway. Turns out it was on some island 1,000 miles away in the ocean.

The other two were in Poland and Mexico, and I recognized the language on some of the signs and managed to get within a few hundred miles with some safe and fortunate guesses.

New high score: 20413. (of course, 13000 of those were from two unusually easy ones I was able to pinpoint precisely). I was fortunate enough for all 5 scenes to be near civilization, instead of one of the ubiquitous “road in the middle of nowhere” scenes.

For comparisons sake, I hadn't even managed to crack 15000 before that one.

EDIT:

Edit: My location gave me city, state and street. I was .001 kilometers away. Beat that EoFF!

Is it even possible to beat that? I haven't seen anything more accurate than thousandths.

CimminyCricket
07-26-2013, 04:35 AM
I hate the roads in the middle of no where. It's the worst!

fire_of_avalon
07-26-2013, 04:35 AM
First game, first guess http://i.imgur.com/AopKeNC.jpg

EDIT: So on my second guess I did way less good. I couldn't move around at all on the map, the people were all cut-off and all I could see was a McDonald's sign and mountains. So I think AHA NORTH AMERICA and the mountains we weird so I picked a strange range in Idaho. NOPE. Guatemala.

On my third one I landed in Russia, right beside a church that looked half abandoned with a huge red sign with a website on it. Went to the website and used google translate to find the exact location of the church.

For the fourth I knew I was in the NW USA because of 1) White people in puffy jackets 2) rocky mountains and dead pine trees. I looked around until I saw a sign for Lake Marie and discovered I was in Oregon! BUT NOT REALLY BECAUSE THERE'S ALSO A FREAKING LAKE MARIE IN WYOMING. That smurfer.

Okay. Number five. Pressure is on. And there's ski poles. Snow. And no roads at all. Only context clues are some smurfer in yellow pants. I hate my life. But wait. There's a sign behind me. I'm back in Russia! I looked for the most well known ski resort and picked it because smurf you, it's 1am and... well. I was in the right country. Just the wrong side. And Russia is a massive smurfing country. So here. http://url.geoguessr.com/3Fmz 17,521 points. Grr.

Shorty
07-26-2013, 04:36 AM
This game is the worst and I hate it. I'm stuck in smurfing God's Country, Africa on a dirt road that I am pretty sure is taking me in circles. And the natives on the side of the road aren't helping me with directions! :argh:

edit: FUCK YOU BOTSWANA

Pumpkin
07-26-2013, 04:39 AM
I saw an LCBO sign on one of the maps. Being from Ontario, I know that's the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. Go me! :jess:

Sir Lancealot
07-26-2013, 05:14 AM
Guessed a place was near Canberra. It was in Mississippi, 14585 km away. Ugh.

Denmark
07-26-2013, 06:48 AM
i really have nothing better to do on a thursday night:
1. Some kind of cool-looking church. Can't find identifying information, other than a woman dressed kind of Russian-y. TAKE A SCREENSHOT OF THE CHURCH AND USE GOOGLE REVERSE IMAGE SEARCH TO FIND IT (http://i.imgur.com/1RQ7oOS.png).
Your guess was 0.033 km from the correct location and gave 6476 points.

2. Farmland (livestock not crops), probably America. Foliage kind of suggests New England. No front license plates on cars. Oh god this place is so far from ANYTHING NOTABLE and the only signs I can find are super blurry. These are some low-res images. Only readable sign is for "Linda's Pet Grooming", and a sign for county road 79x. Quick Google search shows one on County Road 791 in Etowah, TN. Find in Google Maps, surrounding area seems to all match up.
Your guess was 0.035 km from the correct location and gave 6476 points.

3. DIRT ROAD IN A DESERT. Mountains to west and south/southwest-ish. Geoguessr is really testing me. Head down the road a ways, see a saguaro. YES I CAN NARROW IT DOWN. Dead end heading that direction, let's go back to the start and try the other direction. I want this to be in Arizona but I have been clicking down this road for like half an hour and NO IDENTIFYING INFORMATION. THE ROAD HASN'T EVEN ENDED YET. OMG THERE'S A RANCH. If only I could read the sign. Keep following the road. I FOUND STREET SIGNS. I FINALLY FOUND STREET SIGNS THAT I CAN READ. It's in Arizona! Near Yuma! I'm way far away from my starting location though. Oh, on the way I had passed this place with a boat in the middle of the desert (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.622732,-114.227432&ll=32.622443,-114.226398&spn=0.016175,0.033023&num=1&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=32.622428,-114.227521&panoid=YPhX38B7jegKM2SLk6fGRg&cbp=12,0,,0,0). Let's return to start location and find it. Ok? Ok.
Your guess was 0.023 km from the correct location and gave 6477 points.
(that one took at least an hour of searching)

4. One-lane road, next to a river or something. It's beautiful. Found a road sign, apparently it's in Norway. Shit. That means it's in one of the fjords. Ugh. Welp, this will be fun! Thankfully, I know which road I'm on, and for the most part it goes north/south. But for the part I care about, it goes east/west! This helps me narrow it down some. Oh, the place I have to find is in spring but the place I clicked is winter. Good old Norway. It really looks like where I have to be though. Let's just keep getting closer and closer. I'm looking at the rocks on the side of the road and the reflection of the sun on the water to get this as close as possible.
...an hour of distraction and playing around later...
Your guess was 0.01 km from the correct location and gave 6478 points.

5. OMG IT'S A FOUR-LANE DIVIDED HIGHWAY. This MUST be somewhere in America. East-west road, start by facing west. I see a sign for state highway 647 but can't make out what state. Going the other way, I see it says "FM 1160" on a road sign, which, with help from Google, narrows it to someplace in Texas. Not very hard to find, really.
Your guess was 0.009 km from the correct location and gave 6478 points.

Game finished!
You got 32385 points in total.
Total distance away from correct locations: 0.11km
Total time researching: about 4 or 5 hours because I hate myself (I was also distracted during part of this time)

for some reason i can't get the "click to get share url" to work but i'll just screencap my final map to show that they were all provably close: click here (http://i.imgur.com/lAQlNry.png)

i'm never playing this game again, plz give me reps

fire_of_avalon
07-26-2013, 07:00 AM
....man, fuck you, Denny! I was reasonably proud of my 17k but now you done ruint that.

Denmark
07-26-2013, 07:13 AM
guys really why did someone have a motorboat in the middle of the desert

Shorty
07-26-2013, 07:14 AM
They knew the Google Car was coming through town.

LocoColt04
07-26-2013, 07:24 AM
12978 total... got EXTRA lucky with a super-obvious Germany that I dropped almost on the exact street corner.

GeoGuessr - Let's explore the world! (http://url.geoguessr.com/3Fpd)

Denmark beats all of us though. Holy fucking shit man.

Jowy
07-26-2013, 08:44 AM
.146 km on the Nevada/Utah border for 6467 points without clever use of game mechanics or living there. The sign pointing out the name of the resort and having it appear on google maps may have assisted with that.

totally tagged Spokane with .129 on a subsequent game

Mirage
07-26-2013, 10:48 AM
12978 total... got EXTRA lucky with a super-obvious Germany that I dropped almost on the exact street corner.

Denmark beats all of us though. Holy fucking shit man.

Hey I can play this game in Vanadiel!

You're in batallia downs.

Slothy
07-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Googling to find answers is for pansies. I'm going to try it out with only the first picture that appears to go by right now. We'll see how that goes.

EDIT: http://url.geoguessr.com/3FCN

Not the best I've done after trying this several times, but pretty close on some of them considering in some cases I had a literal dirt road and some trees to go by. Nothing like guessing based on foliage and climate and splitting the difference on a few possibilities.

As always, Australia and Africa are a complete fucking mystery to me.

Goldenboko
07-26-2013, 02:34 PM
i really have nothing better to do on a thursday night:
1. Some kind of cool-looking church. Can't find identifying information, other than a woman dressed kind of Russian-y. TAKE A SCREENSHOT OF THE CHURCH AND USE GOOGLE REVERSE IMAGE SEARCH TO FIND IT (http://i.imgur.com/1RQ7oOS.png).
Your guess was 0.033 km from the correct location and gave 6476 points.

2. Farmland (livestock not crops), probably America. Foliage kind of suggests New England. No front license plates on cars. Oh god this place is so far from ANYTHING NOTABLE and the only signs I can find are super blurry. These are some low-res images. Only readable sign is for "Linda's Pet Grooming", and a sign for county road 79x. Quick Google search shows one on County Road 791 in Etowah, TN. Find in Google Maps, surrounding area seems to all match up.
Your guess was 0.035 km from the correct location and gave 6476 points.

3. DIRT ROAD IN A DESERT. Mountains to west and south/southwest-ish. Geoguessr is really testing me. Head down the road a ways, see a saguaro. YES I CAN NARROW IT DOWN. Dead end heading that direction, let's go back to the start and try the other direction. I want this to be in Arizona but I have been clicking down this road for like half an hour and NO IDENTIFYING INFORMATION. THE ROAD HASN'T EVEN ENDED YET. OMG THERE'S A RANCH. If only I could read the sign. Keep following the road. I FOUND STREET SIGNS. I FINALLY FOUND STREET SIGNS THAT I CAN READ. It's in Arizona! Near Yuma! I'm way far away from my starting location though. Oh, on the way I had passed this place with a boat in the middle of the desert (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.622732,-114.227432&ll=32.622443,-114.226398&spn=0.016175,0.033023&num=1&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=32.622428,-114.227521&panoid=YPhX38B7jegKM2SLk6fGRg&cbp=12,0,,0,0). Let's return to start location and find it. Ok? Ok.
Your guess was 0.023 km from the correct location and gave 6477 points.
(that one took at least an hour of searching)

4. One-lane road, next to a river or something. It's beautiful. Found a road sign, apparently it's in Norway. Shit. That means it's in one of the fjords. Ugh. Welp, this will be fun! Thankfully, I know which road I'm on, and for the most part it goes north/south. But for the part I care about, it goes east/west! This helps me narrow it down some. Oh, the place I have to find is in spring but the place I clicked is winter. Good old Norway. It really looks like where I have to be though. Let's just keep getting closer and closer. I'm looking at the rocks on the side of the road and the reflection of the sun on the water to get this as close as possible.
...an hour of distraction and playing around later...
Your guess was 0.01 km from the correct location and gave 6478 points.

5. OMG IT'S A FOUR-LANE DIVIDED HIGHWAY. This MUST be somewhere in America. East-west road, start by facing west. I see a sign for state highway 647 but can't make out what state. Going the other way, I see it says "FM 1160" on a road sign, which, with help from Google, narrows it to someplace in Texas. Not very hard to find, really.
Your guess was 0.009 km from the correct location and gave 6478 points.

Game finished!
You got 32385 points in total.
Total distance away from correct locations: 0.11km
Total time researching: about 4 or 5 hours because I hate myself (I was also distracted during part of this time)

for some reason i can't get the "click to get share url" to work but i'll just screencap my final map to show that they were all provably close: click here (http://i.imgur.com/lAQlNry.png)

i'm never playing this game again, plz give me reps

Reverse google image search is cheating :colbert:

Slothy
07-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Yeah, if you want a real challenge don't even pan the camera from it's starting position.

Denmark
07-26-2013, 02:48 PM
lol u guise

i went into it trying to beat the game and get the best possible score

Slothy
07-26-2013, 02:52 PM
GeoGuessr - Let's explore the world! (http://url.geoguessr.com/3FEy)

Over 10,000 with start location only and no camera pans.

Raistlin
07-26-2013, 03:41 PM
I agree that Googling/reverse image searching is "cheating" to the extent that you're no longer using your own knowledge of the world to try to guess a location, but the sheer amount of time and effort Denmark had to undertake to accurately pinpoint a middle-of-nowhere location is impressive (and/or indicative of masochism). It's certainly not a feat that I will try to match, though I enjoy limiting my search to Geoguessr's map and trying to use my own knowledge (and it adds an element of fun when I'm way the fuck off base). Though he's fortunate he didn't get one of those locations where you're stuck in one location and can't move, which has happened twice to me (once on some snowed-in street by a random house and once on a tennis court with people playing on it, weirdly enough).

I don't do no camera pans, though for the first few games I was doing no movement (but allowing zoom). Now I'll move a little bit if I see something potentially helpful, though after a minute or so I give up and guess.

Slothy
07-26-2013, 03:43 PM
I usually move around a bit if I think it'll be helpful or I'll pan, though I'm enjoying doing neither a fair amount. Really makes you think sometimes.

Denmark
07-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Though he's fortunate he didn't get one of those locations where you're stuck in one location and can't move, which has happened twice to me (once on some snowed-in street by a random house and once on a tennis court with people playing on it, weirdly enough).

If I had gotten one of those (especially as my last one, after spending so much time on 3 & 4) I would have ragequit IRL

I'll usually do camera pans to give a better view of the surroundings. I try not to move too much and use my knowledge of the surroundings if I can.

CimminyCricket
07-26-2013, 07:12 PM
They dropped me right next to a huge Universal Studios monument thing. .065 I couldn't believe how far I was. :C

Relena Peacecraft
07-27-2013, 04:33 AM
I first played this a few months ago when it was mentioned on xkcd, and had a few reasonable 10k+ games, but never went really obsessive about it. Tonight, however, I took things to an entirely new level. I didn't keep a log of everything I looked for, so you're going to have to settle for whatever brief summary I can scrounge together from memory (and the lines I pasted to IRC and IMs).

Before I start, poor Denmark still managed to beat me by 9 points (though if I had known he'd done such a thing when I did mine, I'd have made sure to get as close as possible, especially on the last one, when I just got lazy about it.)

The only tool I use apart from Geoguessr itself is another Google Maps window on another screen, so I can zoom around in a bigger window. I absolutely refuse to search for anything (which would have made so many of these so much easier).

Anyway, let's try to remember:

1) The first was some drab looking road that looked awfully Mexico-ish to me. The few signs I saw were in Spanish, and I eventually found a highway sign that read "SLP-75", which pinpointed the state and highway. Next step is to match side roads until I get reasonably close to my goal.

Your guess was 0.007 km from the correct location and gave 6479 points.

2) Also looked like Mexico to me, but the signs were different. Hadn't heard of the cities on the signs and the highway notation wasn't familiar either. But the language was Spanish, which coupled with gas selling in Euros didn't leave many choices. Since I had the name of a local city, I looked around on the map for that in Spain. Once again, it was an annoying rural road which meant tracking a road back to the start point.

Your guess was 0.05 km from the correct location and gave 6475 points. (Wasn't patient enough, I guess.)

3) Started right up next to a Mexican restaurant. At first thought it was maybe southern U.S., but the fact that cars were driving on the left coupled with definitely non-U.S. road signage quickly drew my attention to Australia. This was confirmed when I finally left the city and found a highway/distance sign. Rapidly found the relevant cities, and located myself within the city itself.

Your guess was 0.001 km from the correct location and gave 6479 points.

4) Another rural road that looked vaguely like Mexico or Australia. It was a left-hand drive country. Moved around a lot until I found some signs, but I'd never heard of anything, so it was difficult. Even found a highway number, but that wasn't very helpful. Noticed that the signs were in two languages. One was obviously English, but didn't know what the second was. After noticing that the city names were both Englishy and non-Englishy, I started to think of countries that might have been English colonies, and were large enough to contain large deserty rural areas. South Africa came up, and I was lucky enough to notice one of the city names I'd seen on a sign. A long search later, I finally got close enough to call it quits.

Your guess was 0.083 km from the correct location and gave 6472 points. (Should have been more careful.)

5) Finally, I ended up right next to a single-lane bridge along a rough dirt mountain road. I followed it a bit until I saw a sign that looked a lot like an Australian highway/distance sign. However, it was obviously a tertiary highway with a name like C611, so I wasn't able to find it on a map very quickly, and neither was I able to find the cities listed. I followed the road for a while in both directions and didn't really find anything helpful, other than the fact that it was obviously a left-hand driving situation and that the signs were in only English. That and the terrain made Australia the single most likely result. I went back to a map and looked for mountains in Australia, and luckily zoomed in right where the road I was looking for was. It still took some searching along that road, but the bridge I started out at turned out to be a labeled landmark.

Your guess was 0.092 km from the correct location and gave 6471 points. (Absolutely no excuse for not getting this perfect. I just got lazy.)

Conclusion:

You got 32376 points in total.

GeoGuessr - Let's explore the world! (http://url.geoguessr.com/3Ghr)

In the end, it took about 2 hours and 15 minutes, maybe. If I hadn't restricted myself from googling, it would have gone so much faster. I often had city names almost right away, but no way to find them quickly.

I am definitely (at least temporarily) completely tired of this game. Sheesh.

Raistlin
07-27-2013, 04:43 AM
... you did that with basically just in-game info, using only a larger Google Maps window?

Jesus Christ, Jason. You are insane. xD

Shorty
07-27-2013, 04:50 AM
That's exactly what I said!

LocoColt04
07-27-2013, 05:36 AM

Denmark beats all of us though. Holy smurfing trout man.

Hey I can play this game in Vanadiel!

You're in batallia downs.
Mirage gets ALL the cookies: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

Freya
07-27-2013, 06:07 AM
I tried this! Australia looks like kansas JUST SAYING.

You got 8462 points in total.

Loony BoB
07-27-2013, 12:32 PM

0.004km

FOUR METERS.

Credit to: mike, Rantzien, Tasura and myself for being epic. We've got me streaming it and they are all helping. It's actually a fair bit of fun.