PDA

View Full Version : Worst Thing About America

Laddy
07-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Mississippi. Goddamn I hate Mississippi. Also, the drive to the other side of Tennessee sucks.

What parts of your country do you hate?

Pumpkin
07-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Detroit :stare:

Psychotic
07-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Boston. You tea party having fucks. Plus the accent is just ridiculous.

LocoColt04
07-26-2013, 08:03 AM
I mean, Detroit's probably at the top of the list, but...

THE ENTIRE STATE OF NEW JERSEY

Pike
07-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Most of NONtana :colbert: Especially that redneck hellhole up on those little islands in Washington State

Jinx
07-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Ohio.

Jiro
07-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Cronulla. And Manly, NSW version.

Slothy
07-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Know what the worst part about America is? They have the first amendment and we don't.

Madame Adequate
07-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Chicago.

NeoCracker
07-26-2013, 04:29 PM
The worst part about america is the lack of Canadian girls.

Not the question of the thread I know, but I wanted to get that out there.

Pumpkin
07-26-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm trying to help that out, mikecracker.

Slothy
07-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Canadian girls are pretty awesome.

Raistlin
07-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Boston sports teams and their fans.
Florida people (the state itself is very nice).
The Bible Belt.
Arizona.
Newark, New Jersey.
Detroit, Michigan.
Chicago, Illinois.
NYC politicians.
Hippies.

Shorty
07-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Arizona.

Jinx
07-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Shorty.

Denmark
07-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Baseball.

Slothy
07-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Baseball.

:doublecolbert:

EDIT: At least Baseball is a hell of a lot better than Soccer.

Shorty
07-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Baseball.

We are fighting.

Goldenboko
07-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Boston. You tea party having smurfs. Plus the accent is just ridiculous.

Boston is awesome you're just a wicked pissah!

EDIT: Holy crap way too much Boston hating and Baseball hating going on in here. I'm no longer friends with half of you. :exdee:

Denmark
07-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Well Loco already said the true correct answer, so I had to go with the SECOND worst thing.

also my opinions on baseball are well-documented on these forums. shame on you all for not knowing me better

Shorty
07-26-2013, 07:38 PM
We can agree on Loco's post, atleast. Bomb New Jersey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9CChvjezGE)

Denmark
07-26-2013, 07:39 PM
though actually, it's not so much the state of NJ as the residents of NJ. Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen aren't that good, get over yourselves

Shoeberto
07-26-2013, 07:40 PM
The political attitudes and policies towards reproductive rights, gay rights, privacy, and drugs.

escobert
07-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Evertwhere that isn't vermont sucks :p

Tigmafuzz
07-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Detroit :stare:

Boston sports teams and their fans.
Florida people (the state itself is very nice).
The Bible Belt.
Arizona.
Newark, New Jersey.
Detroit, Michigan.
Chicago, Illinois.
NYC politicians.
Hippies.

Aside from Arizona, all of this is pretty bad (although I don't mind hippies either as long as they keep to themselves.)

I think the worst thing though is that most people don't seem to care about how absolutely terrible everything is. Most of the people, most of the education system, most of the popular music, most of the prisons, most of the media... Most everything in America really sucks, and the worst thing is that nobody seems to care as much as they should. When I see some wannabe "gangsta" walking down the street holding his crotch to keep his pants from falling below his knees or I encounter a cashier at the grocery store who doesn't understand basic arithmetic or I hear about some kid who got bullied into committing suicide, it almost literally makes me boil with rage. Most other people just seem to say "oh that's terrible" or "oh how sad" and then forget about it a few minutes later.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive :p

Are we talking about all of America, or just the United States? I remember there being some argument recently about referring to the US as America, since all of North America and South America qualify as being part of "America" as well.

Formalhaut
07-26-2013, 08:40 PM
The political attitudes and policies towards reproductive rights, gay rights, privacy, and drugs.

41-Inches-Wide
07-26-2013, 11:12 PM
I only like Montana.

Tigmafuzz
07-26-2013, 11:26 PM
I only like Montana.

;_;

noxious.sunshine
07-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Ohio, New Jersey, Texarkana & New Boston, Texas, the drive from Nashville to Texas, my hometown down there by Chattanooga and the surrounding small towns

Flaming Ice
07-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Supersize me Captain!

http://www.rmhneworleans.org/images/ronald_mcdonald.jpg

Spuuky
07-27-2013, 12:19 AM
The worst things about the United States of America, other than the horrendously corrupt and abusive one-party political system, are the following:

1. Pennies still exist, and things are still calculated in price increments of less than ten cents.
2. Prices in areas with sales tax are still listed at pre-tax prices rather than the actual total amount you're going to spend.
3. Medical expenses are set via collusion by pharmaceutical companies.
4. The educational system assumes now that universities are basically a necessary second high school, and no regular school teaches any meaningful life skills.

Spooniest
07-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Whining.

Jiro
07-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Baseball.

Out of respect for the man you once were, I will give you one week to prepare for our duel.

Cuchulainn
07-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Their attitude towards guns is pathetic & pretty Neanderthal. Their health care system is a joke & the country's foreign policy leaves a lot to be desired. Apart from that America's pretty fucking incredible.

noxious.sunshine
07-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Tennessee's educational standards. We're among the lowest in the nation if not -the- lowest.

escobert
07-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Their attitude towards guns is pathetic & pretty Neanderthal.

Why because we enjoy being free and the one thing stopping our government from going batshit insane with power are our guns? Think about how great the world will be when the US government can just mow you down whenever they want.

comma
07-27-2013, 04:48 PM
The two-party tyranny, corporate-government corruption, and theocratic states.

Think about how great the world will be when the US government can just mow you down whenever they want.The government has been able to mow you down whenever they want for a long time. You have a right to have a gun, while they have assault weapons, tanks, helicopters, missiles, and nukes. The Second Amendment isn't just out of date because of gun crimes, it's out of date because it no longer ensures the people's ability to overthrow a tyrannical government.

escobert
07-27-2013, 04:58 PM
No, but I'd rather have a gun to fight back then to be made to bend over and take it.

and yes they have the ability but, they wold never dream of doing to a western nation as long as they know their citizens can rise up and do some major damage to their precious infrastructure.

Pike
07-27-2013, 05:25 PM
I only like Montana.

See, this is what I'm talking about.

P.S. Gun debates go in one of many EoEO threads. Seriously take your pick, there's usually one every month.

Spooniest
07-27-2013, 05:39 PM
​WHINING.

Cuchulainn
07-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Their attitude towards guns is pathetic & pretty Neanderthal.

Why because we enjoy being free and the one thing stopping our government from going battrout insane with power are our guns? Think about how great the world will be when the US government can just mow you down whenever they want.

I too would like to add whining.

comma
07-27-2013, 05:44 PM
No, but I'd rather have a gun to fight back then to be made to bend over and take it.Sure, but I bet they're real happy that you're content with getting ripped apart by a Cobra helicopter while emptying a clip of your handgun versus it being a fair fight. Your Constitutional right means nothing in that situation.

and yes they have the ability but, they wold never dream of doing to a western nation as long as they know their citizens can rise up and do some major damage to their precious infrastructure.Isn't it a little weird that there's no guarantee that such a matter can't be prevented or handled internally rather than relying on intervention from the outside world? Why should we have to rely on other countries to prevent our government from smurfing us up the ass when that capability was built into our Constitution? It was intended to be self-correcting. The whole underlying principle of a democratic republic is that we can impose peaceful revolutions every four years with our votes. When our votes lead to nothing but the same two parties, who openly work together to shape the country in the way they see fit, we lose the power to actually change anything. And we can't change anything with violence, either, because we'd have no way to mount an assault. We're stuck.

The Man
07-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Florida people (the state itself is very nice). :colbert:

Pike
07-27-2013, 05:48 PM
P.S. Gun debates go in one of many EoEO threads. Seriously take your pick, there's usually one every month.

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
07-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Do zoophilia towards ponies and necrophilia towards zombies count?

Jinx
07-27-2013, 10:13 PM
I thought comma was Australian? :confused:

comma
07-28-2013, 01:17 AM
Nope, I talked to someone on here recently who turned out to be Australian after I assumed they were from the United States. Something like that.

Madame Adequate
07-28-2013, 01:41 AM
necrophilia towards zombies count?

We won't be having any dissing of Tina Belcher or any other facet of Bob's Burgers here thank you.

fire_of_avalon
07-28-2013, 02:45 AM
Basically everything Spuuky said, especially #3.

LocoColt04
07-28-2013, 03:15 AM
I'm honestly shocked that Nox is the only person who mentioned Texas.

I mean, I LOVE this state. Super cheap living. Mostly nice people. The only downside is the ultra-conservatives who don't at least respect the differences of others (even if they'll never agree), but even those are thinning out in more of the metropolitan areas.

So maybe... maybe just those people. Sure, I'll whine about that.

Oh, and whining. ;)

Lionblade
07-28-2013, 03:23 AM
Newark, New Jersey.

I was in Newark for a job interview recently. While the city does still have a lot of work ahead, the progress the people have made since I first visited (about ten years ago) is astonishing. The downtown area is quite pretty and the infrastructure is pleasing. It's not New York, but hey...nothing is. ;)

I absolutely hate Bakersfield, CA. That ass-backwards town made me want to dragon kick a baby. San Francisco sucks, too. Bootleg-ass hipster Brooklyn...and the hipster neighborhoods in BK sure to begin with. Doppelgangers and imitations are even worse.

Chemical
07-28-2013, 07:03 AM
People replying to the thread title not the subject content.

I mean, all of Canada is cool by me. Even Orillia.

Unbreakable Will
07-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Parts? Which parts do I hate?

Oh you poor naive soul.

Shiny
07-29-2013, 05:21 PM

Firstly stfu. Secondly that is all.

While I have a love/hate relationship with NJ I was born there and lived in the burbs near the mountains. It was glorious. With the exception of Newark, Irvington, and some parts of Jersey City it's not a bad state. Tired of it gettin a bad rap because of those annoying guidos from NY and just general trend of hating a place you have never been to.

Worse part of America is clearly tourists. Learn to walk imo.

Sephex
07-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Chicago.

:mad2:

Shorty
07-29-2013, 05:27 PM
He's still mad about his O'Hare Airport Experience, don't pay any attention to him.

Pumpkin
07-29-2013, 05:33 PM
The Newark Airport, oh gosh.

The sky was brown
The buildings were brown
The grass was brown
The river was brown

There was a pigeon walking around the airport (I dunno why)

The pigeon...

was brown.

:|

Sephex
07-29-2013, 05:37 PM
He's still mad about his O'Hare Airport Experience, don't pay any attention to him.

Seriously? That's not even in the city.

Raistlin
07-29-2013, 07:49 PM
You still frequently have to use it to get to or through Chicago, and it's a terrible airport. Right up there with Newark.

And then, of course, Chicago still has infamously horrible politicians and a horrible police department.

Sephex
07-29-2013, 08:45 PM
You still frequently have to use it to get to or through Chicago, and it's a terrible airport. Right up there with Newark.

And then, of course, Chicago still has infamously horrible politicians and a horrible police department.

I am not denying that the airport is terrible, but to judge a whole city by that is a bit silly because...

A) Chicago has much larger problems.

B) Flying in general is a pain in the ass.

Shiny
07-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Smelly and loud Italian tourists just boarded the train I was on and now they slow walking in groups. Dear god.

Rocket Edge
07-29-2013, 09:04 PM
When I was in the states I loved Baseball.

The worst thing about Ireland is... pretty much everything revolves around drinking. I mean, I love it but I'll probably be dead by the age of 40.

Shorty
07-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Really? I thought that was just a stereotype.

Spuuky
07-29-2013, 10:39 PM
People replying to the thread title not the subject content.

I mean, all of Canada is cool by me. Even Orillia.Really, you don't think that the things mentioned are "parts of the country"? Was the word "geopolitical" simply edited out of the original post to make us look dumb?

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
07-30-2013, 03:54 AM
Certain cities are accused of copying NYC. Case in point, Chicago, to the point it's called "New York, NY of the Midwest".

Yerushalmi
07-30-2013, 05:33 AM
I'm surprised at the amount of hating on Newark Airport! I love that airport. Infinitely better than JFK.

Hambone
07-30-2013, 05:45 AM
I'll tell you what's not bad about America, and that's the fact that I just enjoyed tots from Sonic with spicy ketchup from Whataburger.

Food.

Choices.

Choices and food.

America.

Raistlin
07-30-2013, 05:58 AM
I'm surprised at the amount of hating on Newark Airport! I love that airport.

I have lived in the mid-Atlantic area of the US for almost all of my life, and you are literally the first person I have ever heard say that. This statement is so startling to me that I am wondering if you were blackout drunk during your entire stay in Newark.

DK
07-30-2013, 06:22 AM
America the Country is a fantastic place. The many varied but equally beautiful landscapes, from the awesome Rockies to the stagger Grand Canyon. The wonderful native wildlife. The generally lovely weather, barring a few rogue tornado states and the odd hurricane. The only black mark against the place is the fact that it's full of Americans. If we kicked them all out and filled it with people who are much less disagreeable, say, people from Papa New Guinea, we would finally be able to say that the old "America is the greatest country in the world!" schtick was actually true.

Coormque
07-30-2013, 06:35 AM
This is just my opinion, but... Best things: the Bill of Rights, our form of government, patriotism, baseball, the fact that we've never technically lost a war ..

Yerushalmi
07-30-2013, 07:25 AM

I have lived in the mid-Atlantic area of the US for almost all of my life, and you are literally the first person I have ever heard say that. This statement is so startling to me that I am wondering if you were blackout drunk during your entire stay in Newark.

I lived in Northern New Jersey from age 6 to age 19, and my parents still live there. I have flown back and forth to Israel from NYC-area airports at least a dozen times in my life. I've several times had stopovers in Europe, and I flew to England once. It's not a very large sample size - I've been in maybe ten or eleven different airports total in my life - but Newark's airport is in second place.

Perhaps my perception of it is colored by the fact that it looks so good in comparison to JFK. Now that's a terrible airport.

Dat Matt
07-30-2013, 06:55 PM
While I don't have much of an opinion on America, I dislike how easy it seems to be in regards to getting a gun. while the majority of my experience in this subject is related to stories and the media, it seems fairly easy to get something powerful enough to end someone's life. For what purpose do american need this form of weaponry, and why is it constitutional for all Americans to bear arms? It just seems needlessly dangerous to me.

Slothy
07-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Baseball.

Out of respect for the man you once were, I will give you one week to prepare for our duel.

I don't need a week. Come at me bro'!

Lionblade
07-30-2013, 09:56 PM

I lived in Northern New Jersey from age 6 to age 19, and my parents still live there. I have flown back and forth to Israel from NYC-area airports at least a dozen times in my life. I've several times had stopovers in Europe, and I flew to England once. It's not a very large sample size - I've been in maybe ten or eleven different airports total in my life - but Newark's airport is in second place.

Perhaps my perception of it is colored by the fact that it looks so good in comparison to JFK. Now that's a terrible airport.

This. Newark Airport really isn't so bad. It's a hell of a lot easier to get to than Laguardia or JFK. Cleaner, as well, even though the area surrounding it ain't all that scenic.

Denmark
07-30-2013, 10:23 PM

This. Newark Airport really isn't so bad. It's a hell of a lot easier to get to than Laguardia or JFK. Cleaner, as well, even though the area surrounding it ain't all that scenic.

presumably, if you go to an airport, you're not expecting the airport to be the highlight of your trip. I'll take ease of access over beauty any day when it comes to airports.

Polnareff
07-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Everything.

Our school system sucks, our job system is set up on who you know and whose butt you kiss rather than education, hard work, and all that good stuff. Government's a goddamn joke. I could go on and on and on.

TrollHunter
07-31-2013, 06:46 AM
Kansas
Smurf that place.

Miriel
07-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Tipping culture.

Yerushalmi
07-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Tipping culture.

Cow or waiter?

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
08-04-2013, 06:46 PM
I'm surprised at the amount of hating on Newark Airport! I love that airport. Infinitely better than JFK.

The tradeoff, however, is the punchline that the state of New Jersey is both NYC & Philadelphia's dumpster.

Yerushalmi
08-04-2013, 07:01 PM

The tradeoff, however, is the punchline that the state of New Jersey is both NYC & Philadelphia's dumpster.

You will see no love for New Jersey coming from me.

Goddamned suburbs.

Old Manus
08-04-2013, 07:36 PM
If we kicked them all out and filled it with people who are much less disagreeable, say, people from Papa New Guinea, we would finally be able to say that the old "America is the greatest country in the world!" schtick was actually true.Surely they would eat each other.

Synoptikal
08-05-2013, 06:56 AM
You hog all the good hockey players!

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
08-05-2013, 08:49 AM
You hog all the good hockey players!

But Canada has the Gold Medal!

Synoptikal
08-05-2013, 09:27 AM
But the NHL is predominantly American franchises.

maybee
08-05-2013, 11:03 AM
How they think that it's only their country that exists. I'm so sick of reading it's " summer " or it's " 5am you should be in bed " ! Posts on Tumblr

It's not smurfing Summer here and TIMEZONES people. The world isn't ALL America.

What do you hate about America ?
What parts of your country do you hate?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m59wf8rN1f1r9jhwp.gif

Jiro
08-05-2013, 11:43 AM
How they think that it's only their country that exists. I'm so sick of reading it's " summer " or it's " 5am you should be in bed " ! Posts on Tumblr

It's not smurfing Summer here and TIMEZONES people. The world isn't ALL America.

All the weather threads that crop up on EoFF, and the screen name contest (coming soon) which is always northern hemisphere focused. Time for a change. Up with the down unders!

Yerushalmi
08-05-2013, 11:46 AM

All the weather threads that crop up on EoFF, and the screen name contest (coming soon) which is always northern hemisphere focused. Time for a change. Up with the down unders!

Bah. You Southern Hemisphere folks are just hallucinating that it's winter because you're upside down and all the blood is rushing to your head.

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
08-06-2013, 03:34 AM
But the NHL is predominantly American franchises.

True, I'll give you that. Sadly, the American expansion happened because the Canadian Dollar was devaluing concurrently at the time.

Anyways, another example: if cities have some sort of jealousy towards New York, at least copy uncapped internet! Sheez, it's really unbelievable that San Francisco, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Miami (to name a few) got Comcast yet The Bronx has access to Verizon FiOS and FiOS has NO CAPS!

maybee
08-06-2013, 10:59 AM

^ Damn Right ! Viva Revolution ! :colbert:

Bah. You Southern Hemisphere folks are just hallucinating that it's winter because you're upside down and all the blood is rushing to your head.

Nah it's Winter. You guys are tripping on your Peanut Butter and JAM sandwiches.

Mirage
08-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I wonder what time zones has got to do with seasons.

maybee
08-07-2013, 08:30 AM
I wonder what time zones has got to do with seasons.

Hmm ? Nothing ?

I said that I was sick of seeing it's " 5am you should be in bed " posts on Tumblr if that counts ??

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
08-07-2013, 08:46 AM
necrophilia towards zombies count?

We won't be having any dissing of Tina Belcher or any other facet of Bob's Burgers here thank you.

I was thinking more of the purported notion that Capcom will switch its mascot from Classic Mega Man to Nemesis, since 2011.

Another example: East Coast Bias.