PDA

View Full Version : Lightning to Appear in a FATE in Final Fantasy XIV

Raistlin
07-27-2013, 06:31 PM
http://home.eyesonff.com/attachments/general-final-fantasy/44487d1372977266-final-fantasy-xiv-realm-reborn-lr-final-fantasy-xiii-cross-over-bonanza-logo2.jpg

Lightning’s invasion of Eorzea is almost complete. The crossover between Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/category/101-final-fantasy-xiv.html) and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/category/132-lightning-returns.html) has been well-established (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2706-lightning-get-miqo-te-treatment.html) at this point. It had been previously announced that Lightning would actually be appearing in FFXIV (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2665-ffxiv-arr-lr-ffxiii-cross-over-bonanza.html), though the details of that were not confirmed yet.

Lightning will appear as part of a FATE, or Full Active Time Event. FATEs (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2615-final-fantasy-xiv-developer-s-commentary-fate-system-actually-really-cool.html) are randomly- or intentionally-triggered events that involve nearby players who want to participate having to tackle a scenario, which can involve anything from one giant monster to repeated, large-scale invasions. In one such FATE, Lightning will make an appearance, and FFXIV players will have the opportunity to fight alongside her!

The reward for successfully completing the event is the previously-announced (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2665-ffxiv-arr-lr-ffxiii-cross-over-bonanza.html) Lighting Returns-styled weapons and gear, which will allow players to outfit their characters like Lightning and Snow.

What do you think of Lightning in Eorzea? What do you think the FATE will involve? Are there any other Final Fantasy characters you hope to see in future events? Share your thoughts in the comments.

[Source: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/alliance/collabo/]

Del Murder
07-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Oh good, we haven't seen enough of Lightning yet.

Mirage
07-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Eh. I... think this is getting pretty dumb.

Ouch!
07-27-2013, 09:13 PM
So long as it remains a non-essential part of the storyline, I'm okay with that. If these kind of cameo appearances are relegated to FATES or quest lines that I can happily ignore, I've no major objections to it, even if I do think it's kind of stupid.

I do wonder if this means they'll potentially link FFXIV officially to FFXI. The appearance of Atomos in both titles (and with identical monster designs) has potential for some interesting narrative implications, especially since in FFXI Atomos and the Cavernous Maws allow travel through the Threshold into alternate times and dimensions. That Atomos appears in FFXIV from beyond the Void, I could easily see them trying to explain that it is the same Atomos and use him as a bridge between Vana'diel and Eorzea. That would be a lot more interesting than Lightning just showing up, but what can you do?

Raistlin
07-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Personally, while I love all the Final Fantasy references and monsters being added to FFXIV, I'm not a huge fan of actual character crossovers. We're all used to seeing Bahamut in every FF game, but with very limited exceptions (most of them outside the main series), each game is supposed to be its own world and characters and lore. I don't really want to see Lightning or Tidus or Cloud or anyone else everywhere, regardless of how much I did (or did not) like them in their own games. And this particular crossover event seems rather forced to me, and like Ouch!, I'll probably just ignore it.

Mirage
07-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Well I guess that with something as undefinable as "multiple dimensions/universes", any world could be connected to any other world through some atomos-like plot device. That being said, Vana'diel's time-space continuum has got more holes than a swiss cheese nowadays, and I'm not sure how many more dimensional warps it could take without imploding into a singularity.

I've seriously lost count on how many parallel realities and alternate histories there are in Vanadiel. Probably something like 6-7. I always like to think that introducing time/dimension travel to an otherwise "normal" world is one of the surest signs of writers starting to run out of creativity.

Jinx
07-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Late news!

But yeah, this is fucking idiotic. The more I hear about the stuff they're putting into ARR the less I want to play it.

Mirage
07-27-2013, 10:35 PM
It's fine that they're putting in throwbacks to older final fantasies, like the crystal tower and stuff, but things should be "based on" that stuff, and designed in a way that makes it fit with the rest of the game's world, lore and all that. Putting in carbon copies of things from other games, that's just dumb.

Rostum
07-28-2013, 01:48 AM
I think other than the fact that this breaks immersion in the FFXIV universe, it hits harder as being something I hate because you just know the higher ups forced Yoshi-P's hand to shoehorn Lightning in to market her for the new Lightning Returns...

So it really begs the question, is FFXIV just going to end up being a platform to market all the new Square-Enix games?

Jiro
07-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Definitely too far. Save your any-bigger-than-a-slight-cameo-slash-reference shit for Dissidia.

Aulayna
07-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Eh whilst this is toeing the line for me in terms of cross-overs, provided it's relatively minor and fun I can live with it. Plus, 'dat bow.

Jinx
07-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Definitely too far. Save your any-bigger-than-a-slight-cameo-slash-reference trout for Dissidia.

A very, very small cameo. Like, maybe a hanging picture or statue of her in a random place.

Fuck you, Square Enix. Seriously.

mini ninja
07-28-2013, 01:34 PM
I don't see why this wouldn't seem cool to you guys, but in my opinion i find this awesome and stuff O_O

Mirage
07-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Because it doesn't make sense for her to appear in the middle of a world that is completely different, and has nothing to do with whatever game Lightning is from. It's like A Na'vi showing up in Titanic, except that can't happen because the Titanic movie came first, but whatever.

Elpizo
07-28-2013, 03:37 PM
It makes about as much sense as Cloud in FFT, or Luso and Balthier in FFT:WotL. Not the first time SE has done these kind of crossovers to promote their games.

Madame Adequate
07-28-2013, 03:51 PM
I don't really mind if out of the whole of the MMO a single FATE has Lightning in it. But I am genuinely curious: Did enough people like FFXIII and Lightning to warrant this and all the other things she's being parachuted into? I mean, I'm sure she's more popular than Vaan, but that's about it.

Mirage
07-28-2013, 04:09 PM
It makes about as much sense as Cloud in FFT, or Luso and Balthier in FFT:WotL. Not the first time SE has done these kind of crossovers to promote their games.

Do they look exactly the same in those games?

In either case, Cloud in FFT was probably a bit dumb. Luso and balthier in WotL wasn't as big an issue because Cloud had already paved the way.

mini ninja
07-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Because it doesn't make sense for her to appear in the middle of a world that is completely different, and has nothing to do with whatever game Lightning is from. It's like A Na'vi showing up in Titanic, except that can't happen because the Titanic movie came first, but whatever.

Well XIII-2 was kinda like time travelling thing from place to place and stuff... + some FF fans really like to see their favorite characters in the other games ^_^

PS: Besides, as i understood it... It is only in one of the FATE's from who knows how many there will be... + FATES infact are pretty much optional, therefore it doesn't force you (( who don't like the idea of her being in this game)) to do that exact FATE...

Jiro
07-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Lightning appearing in a FATE by itself wouldn't be so bad, but Lightning Returns seems to be comprised almost entirely of crossovers with previous Final Fantasy games, not to mention it is already a three-quel; there is a level of subtlety that lends itself to cameos and cross-promotion, and this is not subtle in the least. The individual ideas themselves are not bad, but Square Enix appear to have just decided that every idea was great and to use them all at once. It just reeks of desperation.

I like Lightning, but I've also had great friends stay at my house for a week and after that much contact with something you just want it fucking out. They're only harming Lightning's image for the broader public, especially those who didn't like her in the first place.

Mirage
07-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Well XIII-2 was kinda like time travelling thing from place to place and stuff... + some FF fans really like to see their favorite characters in the other games ^_^

PS: Besides, as i understood it... It is only in one of the FATE's from who knows how many there will be... + FATES infact are pretty much optional, therefore it doesn't force you (( who don't like the idea of her being in this game)) to do that exact FATE...

FFXIII-2 was. Not FFXIV. There will be a lot of fates, but that's irrelevant. If there was a fate where you killed a naked prostitute with dick-shaped swords, would you be fine with it because it's just one of many, and also optional?

Jinx
07-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Bring characters from other Final Fantasies into ARR is stupid, period.

But at least if it was Rosa or Terra or something it'd somewhat make sense. Those characters would fit in that world. Lightning comes from a technological modern world, and it's stupid that she's in the game.

I don't care if it's optional or not. This kills game immersion. Just like adding Yuna's outfit and Lightning's outfit into the game. I love Yuna's outfit, it's probably my favourite outfit in the whole FF series. I'd probably get it in the game too, as it wouldn't look too terrible in Eorzea. But bringing Lightning's outfit in? Then bringing Lightning herself in?

MMOs are about immersion to a degree, to some people more than others. If they had said from the get-go it was a Final Fantasy cross-over MMO, sure, cool. But that's not what it was supposed to be. I don't care how beloved a character is. It'd be just as stupid if Cloud, Squall, or Sephiroth showed up. Part of the reason a character can stay so beloved is the fact that they're contained to one game/compilation.

Sephex
07-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Someone at Square-Enix is a lonely man.

mini ninja
07-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Hey, my intention wasn't to start an arguement over this, but yes i would be fine with that since i'ts there and i don't have to worry that like "sh!t, i'm gonna have to do that so i can get my last level to WHM" or something... and if i happen to bumb into this FATE you're talking, i can just ignore it and do something else

Loony BoB
07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Does she walk? Does she talk?
Does she come complete?
My homeroom homeroom angel
Always pulled me from my seat

She was pure like snowflakes
No one could ever stain
The memory of my angel
Could never cause me pain

Years go by I'm lookin' through a girly magazine
And there's my homeroom angel on the pages in-between

My blood runs cold
My memory has just been sold
My angel is the centerfold
Angel is the centerfold

My blood runs cold
Angel is the centerfold

Slipped me notes under the desk
While I was thinkin' about her dress
I was shy I turned away
Before she caught my eye

I was shakin' in my shoes
Whenever she flashed those baby-blues
Something had a hold on me
When angel passed close by

Those soft and fuzzy sweaters
Too magical to touch
Too see her in that negligee
Is really just too much

My blood runs cold
Angel is the centerfold

It's okay I understand
This ain't no never-never land
I hope that when this issue's gone
I'll see you when your clothes are on

Take you car, Yes we will
We'll take your car and drive it
We'll take it to a motel room
And take 'em off in private

A part of me has just been ripped
The pages from my mind are stripped
Oh no, I can't deny it
Oh yeah, I guess I gotta buy it!

My blood runs cold
Angel is the centerfold

Freya
07-28-2013, 10:43 PM
The outfit I was okay with cause hey cool lightning outfit! But her character actually in it is weird. She doesn't fit into the lore, at least in my opinion. Keep it to the outfits I think.

Elpizo
07-28-2013, 11:37 PM
But at least if it was Rosa or Terra or something it'd somewhat make sense.

Rosa in the game would actually be fantastic. Rosa Farell deserves more love. Wouldn't mind having her outfit to wear, either. :D

Jinx
07-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Rosa's outfit is awesome, and I think it would look great in ARR.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-29-2013, 02:35 PM
I can see from FFXIII's universe how Lightening could cross over, I do not necessarily see how it fits so well for Eorzea's lore that it would be possible.

That said it is hard to complain about something until we see how it is implemented.

Mirage
07-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Everything is possible if you write a retarded enough plot device for it. They could make Disney's Aladdin complete with Genie and Abu show up in the crystal tower if they wanted too. That doesn't mean it is anything resembling a good idea.

That being said, I'd rather have a Genie costume than Lightning's clothes.

Aulayna
07-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Everything is possible if you write a retarded enough plot device for it. They could make Disney's Aladdin complete with Genie and Abu show up in the crystal tower if they wanted too. That doesn't mean it is anything resembling a good idea.

That being said, I'd rather have a Genie costume than Lightning's clothes.

That'd be a cool Kingdom Hearts tie in.

Roogle
07-29-2013, 05:59 PM

That would be a good twist on a classic tale! Well, I mean, now I wonder what that would be like. Though, that doesn't mean that it's a good idea...

Elpizo
07-29-2013, 06:47 PM

Personally, I wouldn't say no to having a battle with Xande at the top of the Crystal Tower, but that's just my inner FF III fanboy speaking.

Mirage
07-29-2013, 06:54 PM
What if you had a boss that wasn't named Xande, but looked inspired by xande, using attacks that looked like they were based on Xande's attacks, and had battle music that was influenced by FF3's battle music instead?

Elpizo
07-29-2013, 07:17 PM
What if you had a boss that wasn't named Xande, but looked inspired by xande, using attacks that looked like they were based on Xande's attacks, and had battle music that was influenced by FF3's battle music instead?

That would be decidedly awesome. I see where you're going with this, and I don't necesarily disagree. From a story-telling perspective, it would indeed make more sense to create new characters inspired by previous FF characters or bosses, than to just have said characters or bosses themselves appear. (Well, not counting series' staples such as the summons, Behemot and the like.) The only exception to that is, of course, Gilgamesh.

Ouch!
07-29-2013, 09:38 PM
I mean, there's already artwork for one of the bosses in the Crystal Tower, and it's obviously Amon. I think enemies are more likely to re-appear than playable characters from the series, and I have no problem with that.

Del Murder
07-29-2013, 10:24 PM
I like it when they bring back bosses from old FF games, but not characters. It's much easier to re-imagine a monster entering this particular world.

The thing with Cloud in FFT was different and more of an Easter Egg. There is a much lower level of immersion in a tactical RPG than a MMO.

Ouch!
07-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I'm perfectly happy seeing some enemies like the Demon Wall and Amon returning. There's precedent for that kind of thing throughout the series, and bosses are very easily re-imagined for subsequent titles.

Super Christ
07-31-2013, 07:10 AM
I don't mind one bit, on the condition that over time they mine the rest of the series for similar events. I could totally imagine running into Edgar in the brothel in Ul'dah.

There's two reasons for this. The lesser reason is that, if you do want to be a stickler for 'game lore', it's been quite a while since they've come out saying that all the FF worlds are connected via the Void from FF5. That's the reason Gilgamesh shows up everywhere (and I'm thrilled that they're planning a series of quests around him in ARR).

The bigger reason I don't mind is because after all the complaints about FF13, and the complete initial failure of FF14, I strongly doubted that Square would ever announce a FF15 (and I'm still not really wrong about that, since all they did was rename a game they had already been working on, which a lot of people were starting to assume would end up as vaporware). So if they want to turn ARR into a fanservicey celebration of the series that came before it, then please, by all means. Because at this point it's going to be a very long time, if ever, before we see anything from Square that isn't a social game, besides what was already in development when Yoichi Wada got sacked as CEO in March.

Mirage
07-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Source on the void connecting all FF worlds.

Super Christ
08-01-2013, 12:51 AM
First, there is Dissidia 012, where Chaos, Cosmos, and Cid of the Lufaine are drawn through the Void from World A to World B, from which point Chaos and Cosmos pulled various warriors there through the Void. The Void is also how Shinryu got there in order to draw strength from the warriors of many worlds. I know that there are those who wouldn't consider Dissidia canon, although I would argue that is since one of it's main objectives is clearly to flesh out the story of Final Fantasy 1; fortunately, it's easy enough to point out a character who has appeared in more than one main series game (as opposed to the Cids who merely share a name) - in fact, I already have.

I'll start with Gilgamesh's description from Dissidia, as it's the most explicit about his dimension hopping. It lists his appearances as FF5, FF8, FF9, and FF12, before going on to say, "A vagabond who roams the Void and collects exquisite weapons. Formerly Exdeath's right-hand man, he has been travelling to
different dimensions since his encounter with Bartz." When he shows up in FF8 he mentions something about having to find the 'Dimensional Interval', and in 12 with a bunch of familiar looking, but cheap knockoff, weapons. In his appearance in the 20th Anniversary release of FF1, the first thing he says when you encounter him is, "At long last! The ultimate sword... is... MINE! Now I can finally go home!" And finally, although I'd take it with a grain of salt since he breaks the fourth wall at the start of the fight, in his DLC battle in FF13-2, he shows off the new weapons that he says he picked up in the rift. On the subject of that battle however, it is worth noting that the Ultimania guide for that game lists the locations he acquired the weapons he uses after he tosses aside the guns - Excalibur comes from a hidden room in Alexandria, Muramasa was recovered from the ruins of Zanarkand, Masamune was fished out of Doma's poisoned river, and the Zantetsuken is apparently not Odin's sword in this incarnation, but rather a nail shed by Chaos - and as far as I'm aware, the Ultimania guides are always considered canon.

It's also interesting to note, that since Gogo banishes himself to the void in FF5, and then the Gogo in FF6 looks almost exactly the same and has the same job, it's possible that Square had this idea for connecting everything through the void early on.

Finally, although it doesn't have to do with the void, it's worth noting that Square has flat out confirmed one other direct link between two games in the main series. Kazushige Nojima, the scenario writer for several games in the series (most importantly for this point, FF10, FF10-2, and co-writer for FF7), has stated that Rin would fund Shinra's efforts to refine energy from the Farplane using the Vegnagun's remains, but failed. His descendants, a thousand years later when space travel was developed, would travel to the Planet from FF7 and found the Shinra Electric Power Company - sourced from the FF10-2 Ultimania guide.

Aulayna
08-01-2013, 10:23 AM
His descendants, a thousand years later when space travel was developed, would travel to the Planet from FF7 and found the Shinra Electric Power Company - sourced from the FF10-2 Ultimania guide.

And forget how space travel works in the process.

Super Christ
08-01-2013, 03:03 PM
His descendants, a thousand years later when space travel was developed, would travel to the Planet from FF7 and found the Shinra Electric Power Company - sourced from the FF10-2 Ultimania guide.

And forget how space travel works in the process.

Eh, I think it's kind of dumb too, but it supports my point that for a long time Square has considered the FF games to be different worlds but the same universe, and that these worlds are not utterly isolated from each other.

Synoptikal
08-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Apologies for quoting a post from the last page but...

That'd be a cool Kingdom Hearts tie in.

Don't give Squenix ideas.

As for Lightning being in ANOTHER game...well, I think that gives you enough of my opinion right there!

Skyblade
08-01-2013, 04:35 PM
From what I understand of the plot of Lightning Returns, it's about her shepherding the people to a new world before the old one is completely consumed by chaos and death.

So, her popping up in a new world inexplicably doesn't actually seem that far off.

Jinx
08-01-2013, 04:39 PM
No, but it's still stupid.

Synoptikal
08-01-2013, 04:41 PM
From what I understand of Lightning Returns it's...

...Sorry, I seemed to have stopped caring.

maybee
08-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Oh fucking hell Square-Enix !

What's next ? Lightning appearing in Kingdom Hearts III kicking Sora, stealing his Keyblade and saying " I'm the main character now bitches " ! Then killing all the heartless and whatever and kicking Donald and Goofy out because it's ALL about Lightning and then killing all the villains and then sitting on a throne and then saying " Make sure to look out for Lightning Returns 2 and 3 guys " !

Then the KH 3 credits roll

mini ninja
08-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Oh smurfing hell Square-Enix !

What's next ? Lightning appearing in Kingdom Hearts III kicking Sora, stealing his Keyblade and saying " I'm the main character now bitches " ! Then killing all the heartless and whatever and kicking Donald and Goofy out because it's ALL about Lightning and then killing all the villains and then sitting on a throne and then saying " Make sure to look out for Lightning Returns 2 and 3 guys " !

Pfft haha :D... well now you're just overdoing it.

Synoptikal
08-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Oh smurfing hell Square-Enix !

Again, don't give them ideas. I'm sure there'd be someone in Squenix who would read that and think "GENIUS! ABSOLUTE GENIUS!"

...Probably the same guy who put forward the idea of giving Lightning a boobjob and adding jiggle physics. Only a matter of time before they do the same to Kairi...

maybee
08-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Only a matter of time before they do the same to Kairi...

Too late. I've already found a leaked image of Kairi and Namine KH 3 online.

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs32/200H/f/2008/220/6/a/Kairi_X_Namine___Remake_by_crosscutter.jpg

Synoptikal
08-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Only a matter of time before they do the same to Kairi...

Too late. I've already found a leaked image of Kairi and Namine KH 3 online.

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs32/200H/f/2008/220/6/a/Kairi_X_Namine___Remake_by_crosscutter.jpg

http://forum.gamerage.com/grandchase/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/16/6874.anime_5F00_nosebleed_5F00_by_5F00_vancouverpeewee_2D00_d4xriwq.gif

Mirage
08-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Doesn't take much for certain people, it seems.

Synoptikal
08-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Not my actual reaction. I just thought it would be comical.