PDA

View Full Version : Good IRC Chat Apps?

noxious.sunshine
07-27-2013, 11:23 PM
.... For Android. Free. I've looked through the list in playstore, but yeah.

Pike
07-27-2013, 11:31 PM
AndChat (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.andchat).

Also, moving to the Help Forum.

Mirage
07-28-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm using andchat myself.

Pike
07-28-2013, 01:41 AM
Yeah, AndChat is pretty great.

o_O
07-28-2013, 02:27 AM
I use AndChat and I used to use AndroidIRC. Both are pretty good.

noxious.sunshine
07-28-2013, 03:28 AM
Thanks! Now my next question....

I found the address and port number and whatnot but it won't connect?

Mirage
07-28-2013, 03:29 AM
Type out exactly what you typed into andchat, except do it in a post here.

noxious.sunshine
07-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Haaaang on.

Side note: I found all that on the chat wiki. It's still right, right?

Jiro
07-28-2013, 06:45 AM
It should be, it was updated relatively recently.

Loony BoB
07-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Server Details
Name: EoFF (or Calindora, or whatever you want to name it)
Address: irc.calindora.com
Port: 6667

User Details (examples)
Nick 1: noxiousmobile
Nick 2: mobilesunshine
Nick 3: noxiousphone
Username: noxioussunshine

Other Details
Autojoin List: #eoff
Autorun List: /ns IDENTIFY password (assuming you have registered your nick, if you haven't you can leave that empty)
/join #trivia (or whatever other channels you want it to automatically join upon entering outside of #eoff)

That should hopefully help. If you have already tried setting the server up and want to check you have done it correctly, click on the button to the left of the server name and a drop down will appear - click Edit to check the above is correct. Obviously choose your own usernames, I was just putting in whatever. :p

Pike
07-28-2013, 10:17 AM
/ns IDENTIFY password

You can just type /ns instead of /NickServ?

Well you learn something new every day! :shobon:

Loony BoB
07-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Yep. :) Or at least, you can on mIRC and AndChat. Dunno about others.

Rantz
07-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Yeah, /ns is a shortcut for /msg NickServ in many clients, KVIrc included. It won't work in all clients, though.

I use AndChat, too, although I haven't tried any others since I was pretty happy with it from the start. I'm a little curious to try out other ones but not enough to bother.

o_O
07-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Just a word of warning - AndChat is fine, but be careful using /ns to authenticate with other clients, when your active window is a channel. I've come across two clients for mobile devices, which would send any unrecognised commands to the channel as messages.

So "/ns identify cheesebiscuit" winds up being "<mike> /ns identify cheesebiscuit"

Relena Peacecraft
07-30-2013, 05:24 AM
Yeah, /ns is a shortcut for /msg NickServ in many clients, KVIrc included. It won't work in all clients, though.

At least as far as Calindora goes, /ns is a server-side alias, so any client that's smart enough to forward unrecognized commands directly to the server will work fine. Then again, there are dumb clients out there that refuse to relay commands they don't recognize. I would suggest making a list of such clients and flushing them down the proverbial toilet.

You can just type /ns instead of /NickServ?

You can also identify via the password field your IRC client most likely provides (though your username must match your nickserv username, and for many people, this isn't what they do). Or you can identify through a client certificate, but this is probably beyond the scope of what most people will want to bother with. (But I totally do it. Never see a nickserv password again!)

Finally, I found AndChat to be the most useful general-purpose IRC client for Android, though I don't use it anymore. (I now use Quasseldroid, which connects to my client running on my server. Again, more work than necessary for most people.)

Denmark
07-30-2013, 08:11 PM
i just use client-side aliases and auto-perform commands in mIRC. my password is just used for IRC servers which aren't very critical.