PDA

View Full Version : Skittles

Yerushalmi
07-28-2013, 08:00 AM
So these were never kosher when I lived in the US. But suddenly, about two months ago, they started carrying kosher ones in stores here in Israel. I don't know if they've become kosher elsewhere as well.

But over the last couple of weeks I've had my first Skittles ever, and they're awesome!

(Gratuitous topic declaration so I have an excuse to have told you about this: )
What foods have you wanted to try for ages but only recently had a chance to?

Loony BoB
07-28-2013, 08:10 AM
I tend to avoid them these days because they're so damned sugary and I can't stop eating them when I have a pack, which leads to me feeling a little ill if I have a large pack... but yeah, they're pretty great. I still prefer jelly babies, though.

Aulayna
07-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Yeah they're very sugary. Though not bad either, just sugary!

Shorty
07-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Skittles are amazing.

Chris
07-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Skittles are tooooo sweet. I mean, pukedly, so.

Jinx
07-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Sour Skittles are only good Skittles.

Formalhaut
07-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Sour skittles are indeed the best!

Pumpkin
07-28-2013, 11:55 PM
I hate sour food so I hate sour skittles. But skittles aren't bad.

noxious.sunshine
07-29-2013, 12:37 AM
I don't like Skittles.

I remember wanting to try sea urchin a long time ago, and finally getting to, and being disappointed.

Shauna
07-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Skittles... Put them in vodka and create a sweet drink that tastes nothing like alcohol. It is disastrous.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Sour skittles are indeed the best!

Didn't I get you sour, gummi Skittles or something? Was it Starbursts?

Spuuky
07-29-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't eat them, but I happen to know for a variety of reasons Skittles used to be made with gelatin, but a couple of years ago were 'reformulated' to no longer use gelatin.

I don't know the rules of being Kosher, but it's likely a result of that reformulation; maybe it is even just as simple as the fact that gelatin isn't there anymore. They are vegan now, as a result, when they were not previously.

Yerushalmi
07-30-2013, 05:44 AM
I don't eat them, but I happen to know for a variety of reasons Skittles used to be made with gelatin, but a couple of years ago were 'reformulated' to no longer use gelatin.

I don't know the rules of being Kosher, but it's likely a result of that reformulation; maybe it is even just as simple as the fact that gelatin isn't there anymore. They are vegan now, as a result, when they were not previously.

Fish gelatin is and always has been kosher, but it's more expensive and only used when you're deliberately trying to make your product kosher.

However, your explanation may well be part of the reason. I wonder if they're kosher in America now too...

Shorty
07-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Anyone remember Ice Cream Skittles? Those were amazing.

Sour ones were terrible and made my mouth scream.

Raistlin
07-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Sour Skittles? gtfo with that crap. Skittles are meant to be sugar in circular form, and they are great as-is.

Miriel
07-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Skittles... Put them in vodka and create a sweet drink that tastes nothing like alcohol. It is disastrous.

That sounds AMAZING. Exactly my kind of drink.

Shorty
07-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Skittles Vodka Tutorial | Mix That Drink (http://mixthatdrink.com/skittles-vodka-tutorial/)

I've always wanted to try this!

Jowy
07-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Tropical Fruit Skittles were one of my favourite candies ever. No idea why they were discontinued, but these things happen. All Skittles are tasty.

Shauna
07-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Skittles Vodka Tutorial | Mix That Drink (http://mixthatdrink.com/skittles-vodka-tutorial/)

I've always wanted to try this!

We didn't separate them into the different flavours because that's too much time wasted. xD All of them into the vodka.

Raistlin
07-31-2013, 10:16 PM
A college friend of mine tried to make skittles vodka once. His didn't turn out so well, but I don't think he did it right. I've always wanted to try it again, because in theory it sounds delicious.

Spuuky
07-31-2013, 11:01 PM
According to people I know with bad enough taste to try things like this, Gummi Bears work a lot better than Skittles.

Shlup
08-01-2013, 03:02 AM
Vodka soaked gummi bears are fabulous.

Skittles are among my favorite candies, and I was really glad when they stopped making them with gelatin in the US. They recently changed the green Skittle to apple flavor... which I have mixed feelings about and BJ dislikes entirely. He says they honeydew'd the Skittles.

I Took the Red Pill
08-01-2013, 08:50 AM
The Tropical Fruit ones were bearable, but the original Skittles are not. Probably my least favorite of the big name candies.

Pike
08-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Not as good as M&Ms but pretty good.