PDA

View Full Version : Hard Cider!

Rye
07-29-2013, 02:52 AM
I think it's really cool that EoFF has a food forum now. I've actually just begun learning how to make hard cider at home, and it's really cool. I'd love to share my endeavors as time goes on. I'm making another batch soon for an upcoming party. ;]

Learning to make cider has been an interesting foray into gastronomy, and the results are yummy. I learned how to pasteurize things! I've made a basic hard cider from organic apple juice, and another batch from frozen apple concentrate and blueberry green tea. I prefer the latter, which has a nicer color.

I want to try more blueberry type ciders, and then prepare for fall with a pumpkin cider. What type of flavors should I try making, guys? And do any of you guys make cider, beer, or wine at home? Any tips for a beginner? :)

Shorty
07-29-2013, 02:58 AM
Oh my god, I would drink the trout out of some pumpkin cider. Do you use cinnamon at all? Apple cinnamon or cinnamon pumpkin would be amazing!

Non-related: I love you and I miss you and I love you! This is such a neat idea and something that I would love to try in the future.

Denmark
07-29-2013, 03:11 AM
making your own booze? you're such a gosh dang hipster jess :love:

I don't much care for hard cider, tbh. I'd rather just drink beer.

Rye
07-29-2013, 03:24 AM
DIE DENMARK DIE

(or come visit me!)

Cinnamon is one of the most common ingredients in hard cider, so yup! Usually people will put in a cinnamon stick or two around pasteurization to get that yummy flavor in. I might try a caramel apple cider, but it looks challenging because it requires a lot of aging and careful measurements.

Jinx
07-29-2013, 03:25 AM
I love hard cider, but I haven't had any homemade hard cider! This is kind of awesome, but it seems like it'd be really time consuming.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Cider <3

Shauna
07-29-2013, 04:29 PM
I don't really like cider. :3 Some of the more mixed fruit stuff I'm okay with, but it's not my beverage of choice. Ever.

Rantz
07-29-2013, 08:15 PM
I looove me some hard cider! I like the sweeter ones but drier ciders are my favourite. My parents make cider from their own apples some years and it's great.

Rocket Edge
07-29-2013, 08:30 PM
I hate the stuff. I had a bad experience with it when I was 15 & I've never been able to drink it since.

Pear Cider is popular here. You should make an attempt to making that.
http://www.shelflife.ie/img/march%2009/offtrade1.jpg

Pumpkin
07-29-2013, 08:32 PM
I don't much like cider.