Forsaken Lover
07-29-2013, 09:14 AM
What's it like?

Story?
Characters?
Battle system?
World?
Music?

Along with SO4 - which I liked - it seems to have a lot of...uh, detractors.

Shauna
07-29-2013, 09:51 AM
I honestly remember very little about this game. xD I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the battle system, I guess? But nothing else particularly stood out to me. I think that says a lot about it.

NeoCracker
07-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Eh.

That pretty much sums up the game. :p

Though like Shauna, nothing about it is memorable for me.

VeloZer0
07-29-2013, 03:47 PM
I wasn't a fan. It is much more of a hack and slash than typical Square Enix RPG fare. You also only control one character while the rest of your party runs around getting themselves killed by environmental effects and trigger related damages so despite how SE tried to add a little bit of strategy to some of the fights it doesn't work with the combat system they have.

The plot wasn't amazing, but it was adequate to keep me mildly interested in what happens next. Though not enough to pull me through my boredom and frustration with the combat.

Flaming Ice
07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
I've played a bit but didn't get very far ..it was okay.

I've read that there's a lot of backtracking and it's pretty short for an rpg.....(which can be okay, you don't need a ton of games 60+ hours).

CimminyCricket
07-29-2013, 09:29 PM
I wasn't a fan of the voice actors or of the story. The title didn't make any sense to me and the overall story seemed more cliche than I was willing to accept.

Mirage
07-29-2013, 09:34 PM
You liked SO4? :o

Forsaken Lover
07-29-2013, 10:39 PM
You liked SO4? :o

Yep. I made a whole thread about it a couple of months ago. You even posted in it. :)

leader of mortals
07-29-2013, 11:05 PM
The music is nice, but nothing overly memorable. The battle system is an action rpg battle, where you connect with allies to use special attacks, and where combos matter. That is, if you throw an enemy into the air, you can juggle the enemy for a few extra hits before they fall to the ground, or, if you throw an enemy to the ground, you can give yourself a chance to recover.

One of the main combos that you'll do involves the A button and the B button. A is a quick attack, and B finishes a combo. B is a spinning attack, A-B is a throw to the ground, A-A-B is a throw into the air, and A-A-A-B deals extra damage.

The world is... okay. One of the things that irked me about the game was the fact that you had to run everywhere. There is no airship to get you back to the beginning of the game, you had to walk it. This became very boring very quickly.

The story is fair. When I first played it, I was brought to tears a couple times, but the story is a bit cliched. Nothing special, but far from bad.

The characters are very numerous, and, as such, development is saved for a few choice characters, but, those characters are rather good characters.

All in all, it's a fair game, maybe a 7/10. It's worth a play, and it's only about 20 hours. If you find it for cheap, go for it. There is also an after-game dungeon, which I never made it far into.

Polnareff
07-30-2013, 12:16 AM
Terrible game. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

DMKA
07-30-2013, 03:24 AM

This. The characters are bland, and their designs are ugly. The story and gameplay are boring. The voice acting is terrible, and the dialog is some of the most cringe-worthy in recent memory, and I certainly hope no one else is in the room when you reach the "dinner dance" scene.

It's not a game I would recommend at all. I paid $7.00 for it and felt like I wasted my money.

It should also be noted that Square Enix just published it, and have no hand in it's development at all. Tri-Ace (the people behind the Star Ocean games) developed it.

CimminyCricket
07-30-2013, 03:26 AM
It's sad that Tri-Ace developed such a horrible game. They've got a great track record!

Jiro
07-30-2013, 05:19 AM
It's... alright. I enjoyed it, and can see a lot of elements that would make for a great game if it was done better. Having multiple parties running around on the field is just sweet, but it happens like twice and the rest of the game doesn't really make up for it. Still, could be worth a play, just to decide for yourself. If it's cheap, pick it up!

Polnareff
07-30-2013, 11:33 AM

This. The characters are bland, and their designs are ugly. The story and gameplay are boring. The voice acting is terrible, and the dialog is some of the most cringe-worthy in recent memory, and I certainly hope no one else is in the room when you reach the "dinner dance" scene.

It's not a game I would recommend at all. I paid $7.00 for it and felt like I wasted my money.

It should also be noted that Square Enix just published it, and have no hand in it's development at all. Tri-Ace (the people behind the Star Ocean games) developed it.

You summed up everything I didn't like about it. It tried to be a Star Ocean-like game when it came to gameplay, but completely failed at it due to how sloppy the combat actually is. And why are we only playing as Capell the whole time? :eep:

I can't believe Tri-Ace shit out such a game.

Also, you're in Columbus? I'm a couple miles from downtown.

Jibril
07-30-2013, 10:09 PM
pfffhhahhaha

great post+avatar combo, A+ irony

infinite undiscovery's pretty bad

Polnareff
07-30-2013, 10:53 PM
What makes it doubly ironic is that I don't really like Xenogears that much. I just happened to notice that everything bad that happened to Fei in that game came DIRECTLY AFTER he saw his friend in a wedding dress, which is supposed to be bad luck. :jess:

ZonkoTony
08-19-2013, 04:16 AM
pfffhhahhaha

great post+avatar combo, A+ irony

infinite undiscovery's pretty bad

What makes it doubly ironic is that I don't really like Xenogears that much. I just happened to notice that everything bad that happened to Fei in that game came DIRECTLY AFTER he saw his friend in a wedding dress, which is supposed to be bad luck. :jess:

Wow, Guys. Ever Play Phantasy Star Online?
lol
But seriously, IU is actually pretty fantastic, sooooo... THATS MY OPINION lol