PDA

View Full Version : Darn you, new fangled technology

Pumpkin
07-29-2013, 05:17 PM
What is some "new" (relatively speaking) technology that you can see the benefits of, but you refuse to use?

I can see the benefits of those book reader things, where if you travel you have a bunch of books in that one slim machine instead of stuffing your bag with heavy books, and also it provides a light for reading at night.

BUT I just like books themselves. The smell, feeling the pages as I turn them, not having a battery life on them. I'll probably only ever witch over if they stop making regular books.

Shorty
07-29-2013, 05:20 PM
iPads. Why. They'e just giant phones.

Psychotic
07-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Fuck you smart phones, Facebook, and the wheel.

Denmark
07-29-2013, 05:53 PM
iPads. Why. They'e just giant phones.

that can't make phone calls (easily; i'm sure there's an app for that, e.g. skype)

and then there are iPad minis which are even closer to phones

yeah, for me, basically any Apple product. i had an iPod, and it was okay, but it broke and I got used to using CDs again and I like them. I'll probably use my phone to play music once I get that smartphone whenever that happens.

tumblr is just twitter with gifs (reblogging = retweeting) or a blog if you decide to actually create content. instagram is just another image hosting site (and it's funny that it's popular with hipsters since it's now owned by facebook). #hashtagging #every #word #is #completely #stupid #and #useless

Flaming Ice
07-29-2013, 06:02 PM
What is some "new" (relatively speaking) technology that you can see the benefits of, but you refuse to use?

I can see the benefits of those book reader things, where if you travel you have a bunch of books in that one slim machine instead of stuffing your bag with heavy books, and also it provides a light for reading at night.

BUT I just like books themselves. The smell, feeling the pages as I turn them, not having a battery life on them. I'll probably only ever witch over if they stop making regular books.

Books are easier on the eyes too.

Only thing is if you get a fire you have lots of flammable materials :)

Shorty
07-29-2013, 06:22 PM
#hashtagging #every #word #is #completely #stupid #and #useless

isn't that the entire point of twitter

Shauna
07-29-2013, 06:24 PM

Kindles are surprisingly easy on the eyes, it's like actually reading from paper, I find. It's not like reading from a computer screen at all.

Denmark
07-29-2013, 06:30 PM
#hashtagging #every #word #is #completely #stupid #and #useless

isn't that the entire point of twitter

https://twitter.com/rtryson

find a tweet with a hashtag (that's not the one making fun of instagram and tumblr)

hashtags are intended to group tweets about similar topics together so that the term can be searched on. if you hashtag every word you're a smurfing idiot, i.e., why the smurf would i want to search for posts with the word "and" or "is"

Shorty
07-29-2013, 06:36 PM
You may be the exception to the rule, but twitter abuses hashtags like they are going out of style, just like tumblr and instagram do.

Denmark
07-29-2013, 06:38 PM
You may be the exception to the rule, but twitter abuses hashtags like they are going out of style, just like tumblr and instagram do.

no, that's 14-year-olds.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Kindles are surprisingly easy on the eyes, it's like actually reading from paper, I find. It's not like reading from a computer screen at all.

True, it is said from all E-ink devices. They are not LCD and are not hard on your eyes at all and there is no difference than reading a book (not to confused with e-reading apps on tablets that use a LCD screen). I still have a solid collection of books and epubs, sometimes of the same novel.

I love technology, to a point, so this thread doesn't really apply to me...

Jinx
07-29-2013, 06:58 PM
I hate iPhones, but I don't see any benefit of using one, so I guess that doesn't apply to this thread.

Pike
07-29-2013, 07:40 PM

Can't think of any. Technology is great and if there are benefits to it (there usually are) then I'm all for it.

Rantz
07-29-2013, 08:05 PM

Can't think of any. Technology is great and if there are benefits to it (there usually are) then I'm all for it.

Yeah, this.

Except for computers. Who needs 'em.

Raistlin
07-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Twitter
Tumblr
Tablets (though I imagine I'll give in on this at some point)
Various other things that start with "T." smurf teaspoons and Turing machines.\

EDIT: Also, as an avid book reader, I felt the same way about e-readers like the Nook and Kindle. But they really are just as easy to read as books, and far more convenient.

Agent Proto
07-29-2013, 08:16 PM
I have yet to actually own an iPhone, or tablet of some kind. I'll just stick to my laptop or something with a physical keyboard.

Slothy
07-29-2013, 08:18 PM
I was against tablets for a long time, but they have their uses. Just don't expect them to replace a computer or you'll be going in with the wrong idea entirely.

Spuuky
07-29-2013, 10:52 PM
There is a vast array of technology that would be "useful" but is simply far out of my price range, so I'll never use it. Like a personal jet, or a self-driving car.

I'll also never pay the increased price for similar performance of a laptop rather than a desktop PC. Yes, obviously mobility is useful in principle, but in practice I simply don't need it, and if I really needed to I could just use a tablet or very cheap notebook to remotely control my desktop.

Pike
07-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Sitting at my desk right now all within about 18 inches of each other are my desktop computer, my laptop computer, and my smartphone.

My e-reader is about another 18 inches to my left.

It is glorious.

I want all of the computers and computer-like devices. All of them.

Slothy
07-30-2013, 12:28 AM
I want all of the computers and computer-like devices. All of them.

... implanted directly into your brain or vice versa.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-30-2013, 12:38 AM
There is a vast array of technology that would be "useful" but is simply far out of my price range, so I'll never use it. Like a personal jet, or a self-driving car.

:stare:

This. I know they're working on it, and......shudder......

Slothy
07-30-2013, 12:53 AM
On the one hand, I don't trust the average person to drive their car. On the other hand, I don't trust a computer to drive my car and I want to drive. It's a conundrum.

CimminyCricket
07-30-2013, 12:58 AM
I use to be vehemently against e-readers because "I love how books feel in my hands and I love seeing them on my bookshelf!" I still buy physical books, but only of authors that I actually really enjoy. I'll buy kindle versions of books I'm not sure about or I will illegally download digital copies of books I already own so when I go out on holiday I don't have to carry them all with me. I've had two e-readers: a Sony and the Kindle. I prefer the Kindle because it fits comfortably in my pocket.

I'm waiting on getting a tablet, but only because they're pretty expensive and I have other things that $300 could be doing for me. I don't see them replacing personal computers right now, but in the future who knows? If/When I do get a tablet it won't be the iPad. Yes, I like how slim and tiny they are and they definitely look nice, but I am not willing to shell out $600 for something that looks nice but is not easy to manipulate. I'll probably get a tablet that runs on Android so I can experiment with and enjoy it.

TrollHunter
07-30-2013, 02:27 AM
I adamantly refuse to use smart-phones.
This is primarily due to the fact that I know smartphones would dominate my attention and time, and I don't want that kind of a distraction with me at all times.
This may shift in some time though, especially with college starting for me soon.

fire_of_avalon
07-30-2013, 02:51 AM
Down with eReaders! Up with printing presses!

Slothy
07-30-2013, 02:56 AM
Screw printing presses. We make copies by hand with quills and ink.

fire_of_avalon
07-30-2013, 03:10 AM
We can be Luddites together! We can burn the heretics! We can question spinning wheels!

Slothy
07-30-2013, 03:13 AM
Hey now, spinning wheels are an excellent way to crush/stretch/pull apart witches.

Unbreakable Will
07-30-2013, 04:55 AM
Fuck twitter right in it's tweet hole.

Rantz
07-30-2013, 05:42 AM
sbMlHGEICuY

Scotty_ffgamer
07-30-2013, 05:54 AM
I have an ereader, but I prefer physical books. This is mainly because I lend my books out pretty often. Also, I've been trying to build up a library to have in my classroom once I do have a classroom. Usually it comes down to which format I can get a book for cheaper.

That being said, like Pike, I want all of the technology.

Pike
07-30-2013, 10:34 AM
I will never understand this anti-ereader stuff. I get attached to words, not what the words are printed on. Really the only downside that I can see is that ereaders can (and will) lose battery power at the worst possible moment. :stare: But they are much more convenient overall, it's possible to download a book whenever you feel like it rather than wait for it to be shipped to you (or go to the store), and there's no difference between reading on the ereader screen and reading on paper.

(From the technical perspective of a writer I also want everyone to switch to ebooks because formatting/publishing ebooks is ten million times less painful than formatting/publishing physical ones)

Parker
07-30-2013, 11:19 AM
I used to be anti-ereader until I got one. Now I can read my heavy textbooks and huge hipster novels on the train without giving myself a pulled muscle.

Has to be e-ink. Fuck anything else.

I'm not super into tablets but I can see why they would be useful. They're not useful enough for me to buy one though, yet.

Otherwise I love all technology. Give it to me. GIve me the tech. In all holes

Night Fury
07-30-2013, 11:50 AM

This, my Kindle has been a lifesaver these past 2 weeks. I love it. I can carry a library in my handbag.

Agent Proto
07-30-2013, 11:53 AM
I will never understand this anti-ereader stuff. I get attached to words, not what the words are printed on. Really the only downside that I can see is that ereaders can (and will) lose battery power at the worst possible moment. :stare: But they are much more convenient overall, it's possible to download a book whenever you feel like it rather than wait for it to be shipped to you (or go to the store), and there's no difference between reading on the ereader screen and reading on paper.

(From the technical perspective of a writer I also want everyone to switch to ebooks because formatting/publishing ebooks is ten million times less painful than formatting/publishing physical ones)

I haven't said that I am against using them. I just don't own any myself.

Aulayna
07-30-2013, 11:57 AM
I must admit I don't really get the big deal over iPads and tablets in general either. Kindle I can understand but tablets just seem like a bridge between a smartphone and a laptop, both of which perform the same function just as well.

Denmark
07-30-2013, 02:07 PM
bigger screen than a smartphone, smaller/easier than a laptop. doesn't have all the functionality of either.

yukina
07-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Book reader thingamajigs. Kindle and the others with their matte and non-overly bright screens are kinda okay but I still refuse to use them because I prefer the smell of new books. I actually sniff my books every now and then :))

Jinx
07-30-2013, 03:26 PM
People who are against e-readers make me lol, because you can still by physical books too.

Books on e-readers are so much cheaper, though.

Pumpkin
07-30-2013, 03:27 PM
People who are against e-readers make me lol, because you can still by physical books too.

No it is one or the other :nonono:

If you buy an ereader it absorbs all of your physical books unto itself to get stronger.

Denmark
07-30-2013, 03:57 PM

If you buy an ereader it absorbs all of your physical books unto itself to get stronger.

if it actually did that that'd be really convenient since i have a bunch of books that are taking up space in my closets

Madame Adequate
07-30-2013, 04:06 PM
ITT primitive screwheads

Shauna
07-30-2013, 04:12 PM

if it actually did that that'd be really convenient since i have a bunch of books that are taking up space in my closets

If there was some way for me to put all my physical books on my kindle I'd do it because when I'm going to/from work it's easier to carry a little kindle, than a whole book. I dread the day I decide to start reading A Game of Thrones. xD

Also yeah, I love books too and I will continue to buy books if I want to have a physical copy of something. All the books I have on my kindle are books I don't really care about. xD

Denmark
07-30-2013, 04:13 PM
A Song of Ice and Fire is literally at least 85% of the reason I bought a Kindle. :p

Shauna
07-30-2013, 04:14 PM
I already have a physical copy so... I am screwed either way. xD

Flaming Ice
07-30-2013, 05:15 PM

Well that sounds good then, my mom has one but I've never actually seen it on.

Computer's are so bright and usually so much white making it even more annoying.

noxious.sunshine
07-30-2013, 05:17 PM
I am a lover of technology.

I am not a lover of Microsoft, though. Down with Microsoft.

EDIT: I just have moon+ reader & Kindle on my phone, so buying an eReader makes no sense. But since the kindle fire can do more than just read books, I'd like that. or an iPad.

Shorty
07-30-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't need an e-reader. My phone's screen is five inches and that is more than enough for me to read on.

Calliope
07-30-2013, 05:29 PM
I enjoy the physical properties of books - the texture and scent of the page, the marginalia or bookplates, the names of former owners. I typically already carry my wallet, cellphone (not a smart phone), ipod and camera with me, and the last thing I want is to add an additional expensive electronic device for me to keep track of during my commutes and adventures. My reading list is always long enough that it is never a burden to wait for a physical copy of a book to be delivered to my house or local library.

My favourite author is unlikely to oblige and sign an e-copy of their latest work for me, but if eReaders encourage people to read, especially in an age dominated by screens, then I'm all for them. I've seen multiple independent booksellers with signs up proclaiming eReaders as an abomination, which is just ignorant and dismissive. Some people need to be able to change the font size in order to read well. Some people find the notion of paper books "boring", but presenting them on a tablet makes literature much more exciting.

My main qualm with introducing eBooks is the battle that libraries have had with publishing houses in order to be able to lend them out to patrons. Penguin's (Now, Penguin Random House) eBooks may only be lent to one library patron at a time, and the library has to purchase a "new" copy of the eBook every year, even though if they stocked the physical copy of the same book (for the same price) it could last decades. Random House eBooks specifically price their eBooks at two or three times the normal rate and force libraries to buy them from specific distributors at this inflated price (Primarily, Overdrive). I'm not entirely sure what will come of the Penguin Random House merger, but I'm hopeful that they will err on the side of accessibility.

Pike
07-30-2013, 05:44 PM

What operating system do you use then? Hopefully it's Linux! :greenie:

Shorty
07-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Taking bets on Apple.

noxious.sunshine
07-30-2013, 05:48 PM

What operating system do you use then? Hopefully it's Linux! :greenie:

Windows 8. lmao... I'm stuck with it for now.. It's the BF's laptop.

I installed Ubuntu last year on the netbook my ex bought... And I -really- wanted to transfer all my crap over to that partition of the hard drive, but I couldn't? IDK. Otherwise, Apple. I had a macbook and I looooved it. It was my other child.

Denmark
07-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Mac: doing the same trout as a PC except play games for twice the cost (TM)

or

Mac: doing most of the same trout as Linux for infinity times the cost (TM)

Scotty_ffgamer
07-30-2013, 06:46 PM
I will never understand this anti-ereader stuff. I get attached to words, not what the words are printed on.

I will elaborate a little on my previous statement in saying that I do love ereaders in concept. I think they are great for trips in particular when you don't want to lug around large books, and they can also be more comfortable to read in bed. I just prefer physical books because of the ease of being able to let my students borrow them and such. Also, getting a lot of public domain classic books for free is awesome. I also just like the aesthetics of having a large library of books in my house, but that is a very small factor for me. In the end it comes down to which version is cheaper and which is more practical for my uses.

And ebooks are not always cheaper than the physical version. I've come across a lot of books that are cheaper by a couple of dollars (or even more sometimes) in physical form. This is even more the case if you buy used.

NorthernChaosGod
08-02-2013, 09:45 PM
I don't particularly like the idea of a self-driving car, because I enjoy driving. It may be handy though when I want to get drunk and take my own car.

Pike
08-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Yeah I'm really torn on the self-driving car. On the one hand, it sounds awesome. But on the other hand, I really do enjoy driving.

Jinx
08-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Me too. How does it deal with the people who cut you off and what not? Does it have sensors on the outside that can tell when someone is too close?

Mirage
08-04-2013, 08:14 PM
I'm not really sure if software services like facebook and twitter should count as "technology".

I can't think of any new technologies that I don't want to use just because they're new, but I don't care about instagram and snapchat.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-04-2013, 09:44 PM
A self driving car sounds great for me who hates the though of driving; however, I wouldn't trust there to not be glitches in the system or for the car to account for other cars where drivers do unexpected things. I'm also assuming that the car would work in line with a GPS or something for navigating, and that could be bad if the GPS ever glitches or something. Wouldn't want the car to decide to turn directly into a building or off a bridge or something, or for it to just take you out into the middle of nowhere.

drotato
08-04-2013, 10:29 PM
The kindle. I just don't really see the point OR want to use it. If I wanted to read a book, I'd also want to own the hardback or paperback form of it, so I'd just go buy it. /:

Calliope
12-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Spuuky brought me home a tablet which I've so far used to install OverDrive (lets me access my library's catalogue), Zinio (lets me download/read magazines), and a few free eBooks. So far all that's happened is that I've given myself a headache, am mad that the links are all too small for my piano-player-fingertips, and am regretful I didn't just get magazines out of one of the two libraries I visited today.

~MLT CROTCHETY OLD LUDDITE 2013~

Psychotic
12-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Haha, I like that since I moaned about smartphones I went and got one since making that post and I absolutely love it to pieces. I am a dirty great hypocrite.

Mirage
12-14-2013, 05:09 PM
A self driving car sounds great for me who hates the though of driving; however, I wouldn't trust there to not be glitches in the system or for the car to account for other cars where drivers do unexpected things. I'm also assuming that the car would work in line with a GPS or something for navigating, and that could be bad if the GPS ever glitches or something. Wouldn't want the car to decide to turn directly into a building or off a bridge or something, or for it to just take you out into the middle of nowhere.

But you trust all the glitches in the human system? :p

Niale
12-22-2013, 11:52 AM
I didn't know people like reading books on a screen :)
It's more convinient to read paper for a long time than a screen, your eyes will get more sore and besides, books don't run out of batteries.

But i guess if it helps that person, then i won't complain, aslong as it works for you ^^

But aslong as its fun and cool, then i will say it is nice.