PDA

View Full Version : Screenshots of Summoner Pets from Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Raistlin
07-30-2013, 12:07 AM

As I’ve explained before (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2722-arcanist-s-pet-carbuncle-final-fantasy-xiv-cute-ever.html), the Arcanist class in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/category/101-final-fantasy-xiv.html) has two additional job paths players can go down: the Scholar, focused on support, and the Summoner, focused on, well, take a wild guess.

Now, the FFXIV dev team has provided us with some screenshots of the egi, or summons, that will be available for the Summoner job.

Ifrit

Titan

Garuda

And as a bonus, there’s a picture of Summoners of all different races in their artifact armor:

What do you think of the egi? What other summons would you like to see in FFXIV?

[Source: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/510 (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/510])]

Jinx
07-30-2013, 12:54 AM
Oh wow, these are super lame. I was considering being a summoner, and I'm glad I saw these so I don't waste my time with that class!

Ouch!
07-30-2013, 01:09 AM
I think they look pretty slick.

Raistlin
07-30-2013, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure I like Titan, but Ifrit and Garuda look pretty cool. It's different, slimmer takes on the typical summons/primals, in a form to be easily noticeable and distinguishable from monsters.

Jinx
07-30-2013, 01:26 AM
I'm glad you guys like theses. :) But I hold to what I said: these really don't appeal to my tastes, and I will now not be a Summoner.

Formalhaut
07-30-2013, 01:31 AM
I think slim and downsized probably fits about right. You don't want them too big, otherwise they'll just get in the way probably and be a nuisance.

I have to say, Ifrit looks damn right demonic in that night time.

Vermachtnis
07-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Titan looks like the Yellow Demon from Mega Man.

Ouch!
07-30-2013, 01:58 AM
I think the idea behind the aesthetic is that egis are meant to only be the a fraction of the primal. It's just it's essence, and therefore incomplete. This makes sense, as the summoning of primals in FFXIV drains the world of aether, slowly killing the world. If we had summoners running around calling primals all the time, that'd make no sense from a lore standpoint.

comma
07-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Titan looks awesome. The summoners look silly. I'm still just as interested in this job, but it's probably not going to be my first choice.

Pumpkin
07-30-2013, 03:14 AM
Ifrit is creepy looking. I like what they did with him.

Del Murder
07-30-2013, 04:02 AM
Hm, those are quite different than what we're used to! It will take some getting used to. Titan looks like a blob though.

comma
07-30-2013, 04:04 AM
Titan looks like a big chunk of rock, as he should.

Did anyone see this glimpse of the summoner in action from a couple weeks ago?

1Pl3GcfuL3A

Raistlin
07-30-2013, 04:24 AM
I sure hope so! (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2614-new-arcanist-jobs-video-final-fantasy-xiv-e32013.html) :p

Bierhumpen_Kukki
07-30-2013, 03:44 PM
hm...titan reminds me of earthis from the smt-series. oO but whats missing for me is shiva! :D

Miriel
07-31-2013, 12:23 AM
Booo, I'm not impressed. :(

Summoner was one of my very favorite jobs from FFXI. But why do they always have to give Summoners the most boring ass outfits? Ugh.

Also, these summons kind of look weaksauce and not as badass as I would want. They look like little baby summons.

comma
07-31-2013, 01:05 AM
I sure hope so! (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2614-new-arcanist-jobs-video-final-fantasy-xiv-e32013.html) :pYep, the way people were talking about Ifrit like they hadn't seen it made me want to share the video.

Rostum
07-31-2013, 03:45 AM
They look like little baby summons.

Basically, that's what they are. It takes an entire Free Company to summon the real deal.

Miriel
07-31-2013, 08:13 AM

Basically, that's what they are. It takes an entire Free Company to summon the real deal.

But being able to summon badass looking creatures was my favorite part of being a summoner. And also cutie pie carbuncle. Sadness. :(

Rostum
07-31-2013, 09:38 AM

But being able to summon badass looking creatures was my favorite part of being a summoner. And also cutie pie carbuncle. Sadness. :(

Yeah, true... I don't mind them, but I'm more hoping the actual gameplay of summoner is a lot of fun that it won't matter.

Miriel
07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Me, I'm all about the superficial stuff. Not even joking, I need things to look cool/cute or my enjoyment level plummets.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-31-2013, 01:40 PM

Arcanist can summon Carbuncle! In theory Summoners should still be able to summon Carby! :D

Del Murder
07-31-2013, 07:16 PM
I can see how the scaled-down version of the summons make sense from a lore perspective, but I'm more interested in having badass beasts at my command than staying consistent with the game's mythology.

It still may be possible to 'level up' the avatars later on to make them look different. That would be pretty cool actually. Customization of your avatars!

Aulayna
08-01-2013, 10:26 AM
I think they look pretty cool.

Goldenboko
08-02-2013, 03:22 AM
This looks really cool, the summoner garb is perfect...

why did I ever buy a Mac :(

Ouch!
08-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Arcanist can summon Carbuncle! In theory Summoners should still be able to summon Carby! :D
Only arcanist can summon carbuncle. The way the job is set up, arcanist learns Summon at level 4 which summons a caster/healer-type pet and Summon II at level 15 (class quest) which summons a tank/support-type pet. What pet is summoned depends on whether you are currently arcanist, summoner, or scholar.

Summon
Arcanist: Emerald Carbuncle (caster)
Summoner: Garuda-egi (caster)
Scholar: Fairy (healer)

Summon II
Arcanist: Topaz Carbuncle (tank)
Summoner: Titan-egi (tank)
Scholar: Fairy (support)

Summon III (SMN level 30 job ability)
Summoner: Ifrit-egi (DD)

comma
08-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Only arcanist can summon carbuncle. The way the job is set up, arcanist learns Summon at level 4 which summons a caster/healer-type pet and Summon II at level 15 (class quest) which summons a tank/support-type pet. What pet is summoned depends on whether you are currently arcanist, summoner, or scholar.

Summon
Arcanist: Emerald Carbuncle (caster)
Summoner: Garuda-egi (caster)
Scholar: Fairy (healer)

Summon II
Arcanist: Topaz Carbuncle (tank)
Summoner: Titan-egi (tank)
Scholar: Fairy (support)

Summon III (SMN level 30 job ability)
Summoner: Ifrit-egi (DD)Very interesting. Seems like Arcanist might be a nice self-sufficient class. I wonder what kind of damage they can do, if any, while their summon is tanking or healing.

Ouch!
08-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Arcanist gets some good non-elemental offensive spells (Ruin, Energy Drain, Ruin II) and non-elemental DOT spells (Bio, Miasma, Bio II, Miasma II). Ruin II has blind as an additional effect. Miasma adds a disease effect which lowers the enemy's ability to recover HP by 50% as well as a 40% gravity effect, which is potentially very useful against enemies like Ifrit who have high natural HP regen. They also get Virus which reduces an enemy's STR, DEX, INT, and MND by 15% and an ability to distribute dot effects on an enemy onto other enemies nearby. It definitely looks like you'll have enough to do while your pet is out.

Aerio
08-24-2013, 03:32 AM
While not summoning the actual primals is a bit sad, it's not horrible. The summons currently look like elementals you might find in other games with pet classes. Which I think are pretty neat.

In regards to the summoner armor, it's my favorite of the caster armor so far actually. White Mage looks bad on males and black mage looks weird on broader characters, like the highlander I want to make. I really do not like the "robe" choice they decided to go with for their caster art, but the summoner armor has a longer coat, with open legs, which I like.