PDA

View Full Version : Emails!

Jinx
07-30-2013, 03:40 PM
EMAIL ME!

They're like PMs, but better.

I've started sort of emailing people recently because Locky moved away and we're at opposite time zones, it's easier to keep up with one another. Also kinda of been email Shorty this morning, because I had something long I need to show her, and I know she checks her email a million times a day.

Do you like to email? Or do you just use it for sites and spam and stuff?

Denmark
07-30-2013, 03:54 PM
My work email is for work stuff and only work stuff. I pretty much only check it at work, too.

My personal email gets a lot of junk like "Amazon Daily Deals" which I kind of just filter in my brain. I also get confirmations of online orders, reminders to pay bills, and actual personal emails (from family 99% of the time, since that's how my family communicates) on that address. I only get between like 10-15 emails a day max, and I check it often enough that none of that is a problem.

I don't actually send all that many emails. I usually only do when I need something. :x

Pumpkin
07-30-2013, 04:04 PM
I use email for job related stuff and that's it really :/

Pike
07-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Emailing me is a bad idea because I inevitably forget to respond.

But while we're on the topic, somebody help me figure out how to make a "professional" looking email address when every single combination of my name/birthdate is taken on like every email client.

Pumpkin
07-30-2013, 04:07 PM
my email address is ashton_bourbon

I shortened my last name (bourbonnais) and didn't realize until after that it's bourbon like the alcohol.

I am fail.

Goldenboko
07-30-2013, 04:08 PM

But while we're on the topic, somebody help me figure out how to make a "professional" looking email address when every single combination of my name/birthdate is taken on like every email client.
What's your middle name?

Pike
07-30-2013, 04:10 PM

What's your middle name?

My full name is Stephanie Maria Johnson. It's long as hell. :|

I was just going to put it off until next year or so at which point I will become Stephanie Hobbes but I've reached a point where I think I need something in the meantime. I can't keep emailing potential employers as Pike, as much as I want to. I think that's probably why I'm still in retail.

Denmark
07-30-2013, 04:11 PM
It might be time to legally change your name to Pike. Then you can be cool like Cher or Madonna.

Or use it as a middle name and use your first initial. THEN YOU CAN GO BY SPIKE

Pike Hobbes or S. Pike Hobbes or SPIKE HOBBES

Pike
07-30-2013, 04:13 PM
It might be time to legally change your name to Pike.

I have actually seriously been considering this. Or at least figuring out a way to insert Pike into my full name somehow. xD

Denmark
07-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Stepikenie Johnpike

Jinx
07-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Seriously, have you tried a combination of your first name and Hobbes? I know you guys aren't married yet, but you plan to be, so you may as well make the new email now?

noxious.sunshine
07-30-2013, 04:45 PM
I've always gone with j.nunnery or j_nunnery or j-nunnery or something. Usually it's not taken ('cuz there aren't -that- many Nunnerys around. Or well. There -are- but not so much as like Jones or Smith), but sometimes it is and then I tack my birth year on the end - 85 or 1985. Gmail will let you use characters like that, but it doesn't recognize them as part of your username.. so like even though I use "noxious.sunshine", it still sees it as "noxioussunshine"

anyway. I don't email people. I used to email my sister when we worked together but lived separately for stuff, but that's about it. I have a nasty habit of creating a new account and intending it to be specifically for like personal/professional use, but then it turns into a big spam box 'cuz I wind up using it to register for stuff so I go make a new one. lol

Araciel
07-30-2013, 04:55 PM
I use it for like.. My bills. Also shipping notices cause I shop online so much.

Loony BoB
07-30-2013, 05:18 PM
I don't like to email EoFFers because PMs are easier for me. I can't access my mail at work, while I can access EoFF's PM system.

I use email to contact a few people, but not many and not often.

Flaming Ice
07-30-2013, 05:21 PM
I usually don't check my e-mails....so I miss chapters buy 3 get 1 free days :cry:

Shorty
07-30-2013, 05:26 PM
It was surprising to get an email from TB this morning! I rarely receive emails from actual people. The emails I get are pretty much exclusively notifications - eoff, facebook, tumblr, concert tour dates, book sales, etc.

It's not so much that I check my email a million times a day, it's more that I have it open in my browser all day and between that and syncing it with my phone, I have immediate access to it at all times xD But yeah, personal emails are sweet!

Jinx
07-30-2013, 05:30 PM
But guys

THEY'RE SO MUCH

IT'S LIKE THE NINETIES ALL OVER AGAIN

Shorty
07-30-2013, 05:31 PM
I don't understand.

Jinx
07-30-2013, 05:33 PM
there was supposed to be a 'fun' somewhere in there

noxious.sunshine
07-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Late 90's maybe... XD

Smurf emails. Let's just all fax each other.

Shorty
07-30-2013, 05:37 PM
No, fuck that. Faxing is the worst.

Loony BoB
07-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Phonecalls or it's not good enough.

If CERTAIN PEOPLE were more likely to reply to email then I would probably email CERTAIN PEOPLE instead of PM'ing them. But beyond that, nah.

Denmark
07-30-2013, 05:48 PM
telegraph plz

Pike
07-30-2013, 05:52 PM
The internet is the modern successor to the telegram on many levels and I want everyone to read this book (http://www.amazon.com/The-Victorian-Internet-Remarkable-Nineteenth/dp/0425171698?tag=duckduckgo-d-20) because it's fascinating and talks about it in great depth

yukina
07-30-2013, 05:53 PM
I used to never check my mails until I had to because of work. Gah. But I have corresponding with one of my regular blog readers and it's such a surprise to talk to someone halfway around the globe :).

Pike
07-30-2013, 05:55 PM
I have corresponding with one of my regular blog readers.

Back when I was a ~big time blogger~ I had to make a special email specifically for my blog because I got all sorts of letters from readers and it added up quick. Those were good times.

Jinx
07-30-2013, 05:58 PM
I just got emailed by a cockslugging yet devilishly handsome banjo player.

Denmark
07-30-2013, 05:59 PM
...cockslugging?

Jinx
07-30-2013, 06:03 PM
That's right.

noxious.sunshine
07-30-2013, 06:11 PM
My best friend and I used to fax each other... When we were 12. 'Cuz we thought it was insanely funny. We both got all-in-one printers and we'd just randomly fax crap to each other. Like "You Suck!" and "Your. Mother." and stuff.

Rantz
07-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Shorty and I tend to use email as our primary communication channel when either of us are offline, ever since we figured out just how expensive it would be to text that much. Other than that and for work purposes I use email almost exclusively one-way, ie. receiving updates and newsletters and whatnot.

Raistlin
07-30-2013, 06:26 PM
I have a couple of emails now. My personal email I really only use to communicate with family and certain offline friends, and for professional purposes. I then have a work email, and an old email I set up for online purposes and now use as the email for my website that I never check anymore.

I check email frequently, but I don't write emails very often outside of work stuff. PMs/VMs/Facebook/texting is the way I keep in touch with EoFFers.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-30-2013, 06:53 PM
I've always tried to have email conversations with friends, but they inevitably reply once or twice and then never check their email again. Those same people never answer their phones either and will only respond to Facebook comments. It is sad. I even have a friend who always talks about emailing people, but when she says that she means sending Facebook messages.

I miss getting emails from friends. I want all the emails.

Tigmafuzz
07-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Oh god, emails. No. I send and receive enough already D:

Miriel
07-31-2013, 12:52 AM
I deal with a ton of emails for work and this is how I feel when I open up my inbox:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m65nqzyiST1rw600ao1_400.gif

Laddy
07-31-2013, 04:01 AM
Carrier pigeon or gtfo.

Night Fury
07-31-2013, 04:11 AM
I just sexmailed Sam.

/smug

Mahad
07-31-2013, 05:12 AM
I used to use email to communicate with friends and all, but they stopped replying and that died. Sad stuff. I find PMs to be more effective ways of communication for any site I visit regularly. I had about a half a dozen personal email accounts, cut off most of them, and still have a bunch. All I get nowadays are spam, deals and facebook notifications. I have been thinking about killing my facebook but I don't know how, it's just been in active forever now; if you guys know how to, let me know.

LocoColt04
07-31-2013, 07:07 AM
I telegraphed a rep to Denmark. I hope that's okay.

So... I have four email addresses that I actually check. And bunches more that are from days long gone by that I don't check.

• I have my standard one based on my username where ALL standard mailings go - reward programs, most receipts, newsletters, etc.
• I have a professional one with my name for all of my work colleagues and family and very little else.
• I have a other-work one on thefinalfantasy for contact purposes - it's also how I get my Mognet notifications from here!
• I have yet another with a friend's website as part of the original founding team of twelve. Yes, we're the Knights of the Round.

The top one in the list uses one notification tone on my phone, and the other three use a different one (though the same for all three). This way, I know which ones need to be checked immediately, and which ones can wait until I've run out of things to do on a lazy day off at home.

Jinx
07-31-2013, 01:18 PM
I just sexmailed Sam.

/smug

What? I didn't get a sexmail from you! D:

Shiny
07-31-2013, 01:23 PM
I use email almost exclusively for work and to keep in touch with long distance friends. Sometimes I use it for nearby friends when I don' t feel like texting.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-31-2013, 01:55 PM
I have three main e-mail accounts:

Hotmail for websites such as forums and random notifications from Facebook
Gmail for more important stuff (bills, ordering stuff, etc...)
My university account (yay for alumnus status!) that seems more professional and I use it to that effect.

I occasionally email friends but mostly I just get emails about stuff. Very rare I send one unless it is to contact profs or admins about studies.

yukina
07-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Back when I was a ~big time blogger~ I had to make a special email specifically for my blog because I got all sorts of letters from readers and it added up quick. Those were good times.

Well, I never was a big time blogger but I can relate to the mail clogging and the good feels. :)

Araciel
07-31-2013, 05:46 PM
I didn't even count work e mail cause y'know...work.

I Took the Red Pill
08-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Only to sign lonny bob up for gay personals on Craigslist

Loony BoB
08-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Only to sign lonny bob up for gay personals on Craigslist
This wouldn't be so disturbing if they weren't your personals. >=/

Aulayna
08-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Only thing I use e-mail for these days is work and the rare occasions I have to contact customer support.

Oh, and to talk with with my Nan.

Everything else I use Facebook, Twitter or Steam for.

Tigmafuzz
08-01-2013, 07:03 PM
4 yahoo, 2 gmail, 2 aol, 2 military, 1 school, and one of these (http://abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com/)

Jiro
08-02-2013, 07:28 AM
I have like, six or seven email accounts, somehow, for some stupid reason. Most of them were filtering into my USC email account because USC is spastic and doesn't like to forward emails anywhere else, but it's a pain in the ass and full of spam bullshit so I'm just using my main gmail one again. Really ought to clean things up, but ugh so much hard work and I don't know where I've used these email addresses over the years.

Synoptikal
08-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Three gmails and one for a hockey forum I'm a staffer for.