PDA

View Full Version : Is this game romantic?

Spooniest
07-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Now, it's easy for me to say that the romance in FFVIII doesn't cut the mustard. It certainly ain't no Romeo and Juliet.

But I wonder if I'm being fair. I'm a pretty embittered cynical vicious prick about romance. I've never been in a relationship that went well, period, not even my marriage.

If I drop all pretense of "sophistication" or "aesthetic criticism," the very simple question remains:

When Squall decides to tell Esthar to shove it and springs Rinoa from her impending imprisonment, and they embrace for the first time (the moment teased in the intro, and in fact the logo), do I feel anything?

Related: Being a musician myself, I have to say that I don't agree with popular opinion about "Eyes On Me." Its cadences do hint at a non-native English speaker having written it, but am I allowed to play judge and jury over other cultures? Is it mere arrogance to say that because it isn't "To Make You Feel My Love" by Bob Dylan, that it's a bad song?

In short, I suspect that this love story is maligned not because it's poorly done, but because of the distaste gamers have for anything that tries to be sweet.

Jinx
07-30-2013, 06:53 PM
no

Spooniest
07-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Why not

Shorty
07-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Yes, it is.

Pumpkin
07-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Yes, very.

Spooniest
07-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Are we a bit uncomfy going into detail about this subject?

We're adults now, people...some of us are even starting to get old (namely, me)!

Jinx
07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
I just don't think an emo asshole and an annoyingly needy bitch falling in love is romantic. The only thing they have in common is that they're completely unlikable.

FFVIII is romantic in the exact same way Twilight is romantic.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-30-2013, 08:08 PM
I do think Squall and Rinoa's story is romantic. They might not be the most likable characters (especially in the beginning), but I think they develop throughout the story, both as people and in their feelings for each other. I think the main issue between the two of them is just that they are pretty immature. One of the main reasons for that is just that they are still in their teens. I can see why people may not view them as romantic due to that, but the development of their relationship really touched me when I first played as a kid.

Even if you don't view their relationship as romantic, I do think Laguna and Raine's relationship is much more realistic to a more mature love. Their story seems very romantic to me.

I love Eyes on Me, but I recognize that it isn't that great of a song musically. Sort of symbolically, it is very fitting though, especially considering it was written by Julia about Laguna (Julia being Rinoa's mom and Laguna being Squall's dad). This could of course make people think that the song is less romantic just in the fact that Laguna and Julia's short relationship is very fleeting and a lot more immature than Laguna and Raine. It could be very easy to see that connection and think that Squall and Rinoa will probably have a more fleeting relationship. You could also interpret it as showing that Squall and Rinoa were meant for each other, sort of destined to meet.

Mercen-X
07-30-2013, 08:34 PM
I just don't think an emo asshole and an annoyingly needy bitch falling in love is romantic. The only thing they have in common is that they're completely unlikable.

FFVIII is romantic in the exact same way Twilight is romantic.Have you seen beautiful creatures? While I don't think the plot is all that much better, I think the relationship plays out better than the Twilight one and I would probably like Twilight more if Bella had been so strong. : Disclaimer: Stephen King never actually said this. While he thinks Meyer is a bad writer, and theorizes the success of Twilight pertains mostly to young girls who aren't yet ready to deal with the full swing of adult romance, this quote was actually stated by an Andrew Futral who also suggested only fat girls like Twilight.. Ref (http://andrewfutral.tumblr.com/post/141911450/i-am-currently-reading-twilight-because-i-dont)

Sefie1999AD
07-30-2013, 09:03 PM
FFVIII definitely felt romantic when I was 14 or so and originally played the game. That doesn't mean the love story was realistic or well executed, though. :p

FFVIII is romantic in the exact same way Twilight is romantic.

Still a better love story than Twilight... sorry, couldn't resist. :D

noxious.sunshine
07-31-2013, 12:50 AM
Meh. It's romantic. Squall falls in love and is willing to go all out to protect her - whether she's good or evil. That bit is romantic.

Pumpkin
07-31-2013, 02:37 AM
adjective1.of, pertaining to, or of the nature (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nature) of romance (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/romance); characteristic or suggestive of the world of romance (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/romance):a romantic adventure.

2.fanciful; impractical; unrealistic: romantic ideas.

3.imbued with or dominated by idealism, a desire for adventure, chivalry, etc.

4.characterized by a preoccupation with love (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/love) or by the idealizing of love or one's beloved.

5.displaying or expressing love or strong affection.

Number 2, 3, 4 and definitely apply. Squall goes out of his way to save Rinoa on several occasions. There love starts suddenly and heats up quickly. He idolizes her in a lot of ways. Etc.

Spooniest
07-31-2013, 03:57 AM
I think I meant more of a connotative definition of romantic. Like, would you play this game with your significant other in the way you'd watch The Notebook.

Pumpkin
07-31-2013, 04:05 AM
I think I meant more of a connotative definition of romantic. Like, would you play this game with your significant other in the way you'd watch The Notebook.

Absolutely. Especially since its my second favorite Final Fantasy and its his favorite :P.

But yeah I find it romantic and I get invested in the love story.

noxious.sunshine
07-31-2013, 06:41 AM
I freaking -loathe- The Notebook.. Or any other kind of mushy garbage people create these days.. Ick. *shudders* (aka almost anything with Rachel McAdams in it minus The Hot Chick & Mean Girls). They have cooties, I think.

Spooniest
07-31-2013, 07:19 AM

I freaking -loathe- The Notebook

I don't like it either, but it's the only romance movie I know of that would be familiar to people.

I haven't exactly had a lot of opportunity to watch romantic movies lately, but the one I would recommend would be Secretary. Though it can get kind of ... what's the word ... intense? If you're squeamish, I'd say Amélie.

Laddy
07-31-2013, 08:43 AM
It, um, tries?

Tries.

tries.

Loony BoB
07-31-2013, 10:26 AM
I'd say it's romantic at times, yeah.

yukina
07-31-2013, 02:22 PM
It has its moments. Not exactly the mushy gushy romance of teen novels but I did fall in love with the pairing.

Jiro
08-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Romance is obviously an important thread. There are several romances or attempted/failed romances throughout the game, showing them all in a different light and what have you. I don't think they succeed throughout, though. For instance, the Squall-Rinoa romance is weak, which is poor considering its place at the centre of the game. Even the cover demonstrates it as being core to the game.

But the dynamics between Squall-Quistis and the Squall-Rinoa-Seifer thing are interesting, and Squall-Rinoa is helped by how tragic Laguna-Julia is. Laguna-Raine is also tragically beautiful, and Cid-Edea is interesting too.

I don't know if I would sit down to play an RPG instead of watching a chick flick though, kind of different media.

Shorty
08-01-2013, 05:24 PM
I always hated the Squall-Quistis thing. I think it can be argued that Laguna-Julia hold the best romanctic story, but I suppose it isn't a competition.

Jiro
08-01-2013, 05:52 PM
I always hated the Squall-Quistis thing. I think it can be argued that Laguna-Julia hold the best romanctic story, but I suppose it isn't a competition.

The fact that it was taken any further is what makes it perfect. Love isn't always requited. Quistis had to deal with the fact that her strong feelings (however it was split between lover, pseudo-sibling, and teacher) weren't returned and that another girl was on the scene. I mean, it could have used some more development, but most of the bigger points in the games suffered from flaws and holes so I'm glad they left it as is - a nice sidenote adding to the game without taking anything away.

Shorty
08-01-2013, 05:57 PM
That's just it - if it had more development, I think I would have liked the triangle more. It would have been a square, really, with the Squall-Rinoa-Seifer thing. Everyone loves a drama bomb!

Synoptikal
08-02-2013, 06:46 AM
My wife is playing this for the first time at the moment (well, when it's not 30+ freaking degrees outside!). She's not terribly far yet (not even going to Timber yet) but she's already ascertained one thing:

She doesn't like Quistis.

For those who say Rinoa is whiny, just go back and pay attention to any of Quistis' dialogue on Disc 1. It's either whiny, preachy or both. My wife is also a fan of Enemy Skills/Blue Magic, having used E-Skill to the point of getting three filled by the time she went to the final boss and using Quina with a somewhat worrying bloodlust. So when I told her that Quistis was the Blue Magic user and that it was only through her Limit Break that just escalated her hatred for the blonde bimbo.

Back to the topic of the love story - What people need to remember is that love (not just romantic love) is a central plot point. Remember when they find out that they all grew up together on Disc 2? Zell felt conflicted about the whole thing because he loves his adopted parents back in Balamb. Raijin and Fujin have love of their friendship with Seifer, which is why they follow him, up until Fujin's speech on the Lunatic Pandora. Seifer's romantic dream of being a Sorceress' Knight keeps him doing what he does. Hell, even the White SeeDs do what they do because of their connection to Ellone as a sister-figure and because of their love Matron.

So, love is a many-structured object within the game and it's not just romantic love.

Spooniest
08-02-2013, 07:52 AM
It seems people tend to focus on the easily relatable elements of any given Final Fantasy game.

Final Fantasy 1? "It was the first one." Final Fantasy 2? "It was dogtrout." Final Fantasy 3? "Job System." Final Fantasy 4? "Paladin." Final Fantasy 5? "Job System, again." Final Fantasy 6? "Opera House." Final Fantasy 7? "Aerith."

And Final Fantasy 8 is "The one with the love story."

Even as far back as Final Fantasy 1, romance has been an element. If you speak with Princess Sara after she gives you the Lute, there's a definite subtext of some sort. The King comments that she always worries about you.

It's an interesting trend that the romantic subplots grew increasingly prominent in the series over time. I wonder why that was?

In any case, Final Fantasy VIII has many elements in its narrative that revolve around the theme of love in all its forms, whether platonic, familial, patriotic, or romantic.

But even with all those elements, a given story cannot be in and of itself "romantic" without a certain investment from the reader. The reader's heart must be stirred in some way.

So I guess a better question (though a much more biased one), and one probably much more difficult to answer without putting yourself out on a limb, you self-conscious EoFFer*, you, is...

Does it get to ya? Do you get the sniffles when you hear this? ;) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8dcW-UicI8)

*I cry like a baby.

Synoptikal
08-02-2013, 08:07 AM
From the soundtrack, there are three songs which stir my emotions, and I'm not just talking about the emotion of love.

Zid5sBVuz8M
yCGo5ztB-g8
x4k8tm1p3bk

That last one is so simple and yet it conveys the feelings of loss superbly.

Spooniest
08-02-2013, 08:27 AM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

You spoony bard!

Synoptikal
08-02-2013, 08:37 AM
You spoony bard!

"I'm no spoony bard, I'll have you know!"

maybee
08-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Yes but it can be rather cheesy at times and clumsily written at times.

This may sound stupid but it sort of reminds me of Disney's version of Beauty and the Beast ? They start off hating each other, fighting, not getting along, both of them feeling like they want to escape from each other but they can't-

Then Squall saves her life and protects her during the Parade and then Rinoa realizes that Squall isn't such a jerkass git after all, he's just a bit closed off and anti-social and he does have a heart, just prefers to keep it closed and then they get closer and closer together while spending time together and then thus it becomes a serious relationship.

Expect the ball room happens first and not near the end.

Forsaken Lover
08-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Squall and Rinoa on the Ragnarok was a legitimately sweet and romantic scene for me.

Also "Love Grows" is a beautiful song. Never underestimate the power of a good soundtrack when it comes to your love story.