PDA

View Full Version : Seriously

Pumpkin
07-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Does BoB have an underscore in his name? I see people post his name with an underscore, and I do it too, but I could have sworn I've seen his name without it and some people post his name without it?

Pike
07-31-2013, 04:30 PM
It does not have an underscore on the forums.

I think it does in chat.

The Man
07-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Lonny BoB and Looney BooB are both correct. Also Seņor BooB.

Denmark
07-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Loony BoB on the forums. Loony_BoB, _, or | in chat (depending on his current state of activity). Any number of other names when you wanna troll him.

Psychotic
07-31-2013, 04:43 PM
It's lonny bob

Don't worry shion I added it to your poll because I assume you must've forgotten to add the correct option when you made it.

Madame Adequate
07-31-2013, 04:45 PM
It's lonny bob

Yar
07-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Loon Bobby BoB imo

Jinx
07-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Loonus BobicuS

Sephex
07-31-2013, 05:26 PM
There is also his sister, Lady BarB.

Jinx
07-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Lunatic RoberT is his proper name.

Formalhaut
07-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Yes but what is the correct pronunciation of his name?

Rantz
07-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Brony LuB

Sephex
07-31-2013, 05:47 PM
Oh, and his cousin Lois CoB.

Mirage
07-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Boney lube.

Pumpkin
07-31-2013, 05:49 PM
k guise, i wrote seriously as the thread title because this is a srs thread, ok pls.

Jinx
07-31-2013, 05:50 PM
What does Loony BoB call smittenkitten in private?

This Heart ThroB

Raistlin
07-31-2013, 06:18 PM
lonny bob or BooB are his correct names.

Jiro
08-02-2013, 07:27 AM
It's just 'Towns.'

Jinx
08-02-2013, 02:44 PM
It's just 'Towns.'

He hates being called that.

Madame Adequate
08-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Exactly.

Freya
08-02-2013, 03:34 PM
It's lonny bob

Jiro
08-03-2013, 03:37 AM
lOONY bOb

comma
08-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Pretty sure it's Alonzo Robernatheon.

Shlup
08-03-2013, 08:22 AM
I can't type the name BoB anymore without automatically capitalizing the second 'B.'

Pike
08-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Robernatheon.

I totally read this as Robert Baratheon

Loony BoB
08-06-2013, 11:48 AM
I have about 30 variations of my username on highlight. And that's probably only about half of what I used to have before my highlight list got wiped at some point over the past however many years.

While you're all wankers as standard when you don't say my name right, I'll reiterate that calling me 'Towns' isn't a case of jokingly trolling (a la lonny bob etc.) - it's genuinely something I will start disliking you for doing. It's a more personal/serious irk than "haha your name is similar to boob".

Synoptikal
08-06-2013, 11:52 AM
k guise, i wrote seriously as the thread title because this is a srs thread, ok pls.

Dolan y u do dis?

Jinx
08-06-2013, 11:59 AM
It's a more personal/serious irk than "haha your name is similar to boob".

Uh...

Towns = Boob?

Synoptikal
08-06-2013, 12:01 PM
It's a more personal/serious irk than "haha your name is similar to boob".

Uh...

Towns = Boob?

The resemblance is OBVIOUS! Can't you see? Obviously because both words have an O, they are similar!

...Okay, I'm as lost as you are.

Loony BoB
08-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I don't know what or how you're misinterpreting what I said, but...

- BoB is similar to Boob, which some people find funny so they call me BooB. I can laugh that off, it's a jokey thing.
- Towns is my surname and I don't like being called by my surname by people who weren't high school friends of mine. I have my own reasons for it and they don't need to be publically detailed. I don't laugh that off.

Jinx
08-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Oh. I thought you just said that it bothers you when people call you Towns, because it's so similar to boob.

I just woke up.

Synoptikal
08-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Towns is my surname and I don't like being called by my surname by people who weren't high school friends of mine. I have my own reasons for it and they don't need to be publically detailed. I don't laugh that off.

I know that feeling all too well. Most of my high school "enemies" called me by my surname, or a variation of my surname. Unfortunately, I have one of those nicknames which, in Scottish high schools, works exceptionally well against me.

Loony BoB
08-06-2013, 12:33 PM
I actually love my surname - it's only at EoFF that people have ever used it in ways that I've disliked.

Synoptikal
08-06-2013, 12:38 PM
My surname is Clunie. Go figure.

Pumpkin
08-06-2013, 04:52 PM
I don't like it when people call me by anything other than my first name.

My middle and last names are both pronounced in a french way, but my first name is pronounced the english way. But I got made fun of a lot in Grade School when they would pronounce my first the french way (which sounds awful) and rhymes with cochon which means pig and I would get called Ashton Cochon and people would laugh at me and it was awful :(. I'd also get a lot of Ashton Kutcher and Ash Ketchum and I just haaaate it when people make fun of my name.

Doesn't stop people from doing it though :(

Synoptikal
08-06-2013, 04:56 PM
I got called George a lot. Or "Andrew Clunie - Brother of George".

One particular bully came up to me (with his group of friends) and said "Is George really your brother?" And I was already in a bad mood and just flipped and responded. "If George was my brother, do you think I'd be in this school, wasting my breath on pissants like you?"

Never ran so quickly in my life.

noxious.sunshine
08-06-2013, 05:02 PM
And then you got called pissant?

No one ever made fun of my name. Just everything else about me. There was another Jamie in my grade. She was the popular Jamie. I remember one time in like 1st grade, I got a perm.. And like Popular Jamie and her Popular Friends played with me at recess for like a week. And then my perm completely fell out and they went back to ignoring me and the Popular Guys went back to making fun of me. Assholes.

My cousins used to love saying "Jamie Lee from Tennessee!" and it drove me insane. My youngest cousin would always say "Take thee to the Nunnery!" (my last name) and that was annoying.

Spooniest
08-06-2013, 06:29 PM
People making fun of your surname? I've got you ALL beat.

"Norris."

Commence.

Yerushalmi
08-07-2013, 04:49 PM
People making fun of your surname? I've got you ALL beat.

"Norris."

Commence.

I would be afraid to make fun of anybody with the surname Norris.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-07-2013, 05:24 PM
I was under the impression that the female equivalent to Loony BooB was Crazy Crazy PeeN?

Denmark
08-07-2013, 05:25 PM
i think the female equivalent to "Loony BoB" is "loony bob penetrated me"

Madame Adequate
08-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I actually love my surname - it's only at EoFF that people have ever used it in ways that I've disliked.

You dislike how EoFFers use your surname to... refer to you? :eyebrow:

Jinx
08-07-2013, 08:22 PM
I just always assumed the female equivalent to Loony BoB was Loony BoB.

Spooniest
08-07-2013, 09:01 PM
I would be afraid to make fun of anybody with the surname Norris.

Yeah...well, try it when he's 12.

My classmates certainly did.

comma
08-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Robernatheon.

I totally read this as Robert BaratheonGood job, you got it.

Tigmafuzz
08-08-2013, 02:55 AM
I always thought his name was "Sylvia."

Loony BoB
08-08-2013, 11:11 AM

You dislike how EoFFers use your surname to... refer to you? :eyebrow:
Yes. Do you have a problem with this? Some EoFFers here don't even like people at EoFF knowing their surname at all. If you want to refer to me, refer to me by my first name as normal people are known to do, or alternatively (and this is a real shocker for the internet) my EoFF username. I'm not the bleedin' president! :p

Old Manus
08-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Your new nickname is Drama Queen.

Loony BoB
08-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Heaven forbid someone not like to be called something. Maybe I should start referring to everyone else by their surnames...

The Man
08-08-2013, 12:05 PM
People already do that to me. I don't think I've ever cared.

Denmark
08-08-2013, 02:08 PM
some surnames are better as nicknames than others. I don't think mine would be all that good.

Pheesh
08-08-2013, 02:31 PM
I would love it if over time he just became known as 'He Who Must Not Be Named'.

Yerushalmi
08-08-2013, 02:37 PM
over time

Why wait? We can start right now.

Jiro
08-08-2013, 04:23 PM
We got screen names for a reason, right? Might as well use them to avoid any issues.

Pheesh
08-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Dak has a point.

Old Manus
08-08-2013, 04:46 PM
People already do that to me. I don't think I've ever cared.Even bots.

G'Night

Raistlin
08-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Your new nickname is Drama Queen.

No, his new nickname is Rainecloud. Much more likely to annoy him.

We got screen names for a reason, right? Might as well use them to avoid any issues.

That reminds me: am I the only person who used to get a little weirded out when people I barely knew would call me by my real name online? It's happened far too often over the years for me to even really notice it anymore, but it used to feel weird to me.

Synoptikal
08-09-2013, 06:59 AM
I'm used to being called Syn that it has spilled over into my real life.

I have been using the name for a good 6 or 7 years now.

qwertysaur
08-09-2013, 07:04 AM
BoB is BoB, wherever that chocobo newbie goes. The first B is short for Boko, the second one is for Blowtorch

WildRaubtier
08-09-2013, 07:28 AM
I didn't know towns didn't like being called towns, but fuck you towns you cant tell me what i can and cant call you: TOWNS IT IS.

Calliope
08-09-2013, 08:00 AM
While you're all wankers as standard when you don't say my name right...

If it makes you feel better, you have yet to pronounce "Calliope" correctly, although perhaps that's for comedic effect.

In lieu of not caring (which is a detrimental yet valid response), perhaps you can find some solace in the fact that your popularity here is such in that it inspires people to make threads such as this one (although a PM could have done the trick just as well, as would a member search), as well as countless imitators both in chat and second accounts.

I do often wonder whether it is appropriate to refer to people by their given names, and try to follow the example they set in choosing what or what not to reveal online. It can be confusing, so I hope that any mis-steps are graciously forgiven. Again, it doesn't take much to gently correct someone via PM.

What's in a name?

Pheesh
08-09-2013, 01:07 PM
While you're all wankers as standard when you don't say my name right...

This coming from the guy who pronounces Jiro as 'gyro' and will adamantly argue with the guy who made the nickname about its pronunciation :roll2

Loony BoB
08-09-2013, 01:09 PM
And he's welcome to call me a wanker over that as often as he wishes. ;)

And yeah, Nicky, I know your username is pronounced differently but... habit. xD I have 'accidentally' said it right a few times, though, but I quickly uncorrect myself.

KentaRawr!
08-09-2013, 01:16 PM
I'd go by my given name here, but a regular in chat already goes by it so I'm stuck with Kenta. Using my surname would be weirdsauce, whether it's in person or on the net.

Anywho, I rarely type out BoB's full username, but I do distinctly remember at one point accidentally putting in an underscore when I didn't need to, so I'll just make that my answer.

Spooniest
08-09-2013, 03:08 PM
And yeah, Nicky, I know your username is pronounced differently but... habit.

Calliope's SN isn't pronounced "Cull-LIE-Uh-Pea?"

???

...I picked one that was easy to pronounce...

Madame Adequate
08-09-2013, 03:12 PM
That's how they refer to the T-34 Calliope tank-mounted rocket launcher in Company of Heroes, so as far as I'm concerned that's how it's said.

Spooniest
08-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Wikipedia article for "Calliope" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calliope_%28music%29)

I've known how to pronounce this ever since my dad got the book "The Beatles Recording Sessions."

I guess I forget sometimes that not everyone is obsessed with musical instruments.

Jiro
08-10-2013, 07:12 AM
It would be strange if Loony BoB ever did say my name right, but at least in this situation I am not offended by it. My apprehension at people using my real name stems from the years of bullying re: such a thing. I don't know when or how or why but I have fallen into that position when people refer to me more by my name than my nick. (And while it is nice to be considered on friendly terms with people and having nicknames is an excellent feeling, I still cannot look past the fact that the way people routinely refer to me is synonymous with removing one's/someone else's pants.)

I am using my name less in meatspace too, for reasons that are not worth going into here. But I think we should have a little courtesy for those who wish or do not wish to be called something.

PS BoB you will never be a wanker, because I get you. Uh, I mean, you are a git. :jiro:

Spooniest
08-10-2013, 08:01 AM
But I think we should have a little courtesy for those who wish or do not wish to be called something.

Or you might say:

"Always be kind to someone about their name; they're stuck with it."

Jiro
08-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Not necessarily true. You can name yourself if you wish. The internet allows that more freely than meatspace, but even there you can change things if you desire.

Spooniest
08-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Not necessarily true. You can name yourself if you wish. The internet allows that more freely than meatspace, but even there you can change things if you desire.

True, but given the conceit of knowing the name they got stuck with, I suppose.

Pike
08-12-2013, 10:33 AM
So is this thread about names we dislike being called?

Because I dislike being called by my real name.

I really hate this Facebooky internet trend over the last few years where you're supposed to use your real name everywhere. Feck that.

Yerushalmi
08-12-2013, 10:36 AM

I really hate this Facebooky internet trend over the last few years where you're supposed to use your real name everywhere. Feck that.

Damn right! It seems that once a week Google starts annoying me on YouTube telling me to merge accounts and use my real name or whatever. LEAVE ME ALONE DAMMIT.

Pike
08-12-2013, 10:37 AM

Damn right! It seems that once a week Google starts annoying me on YouTube telling me to merge accounts and use my real name or whatever. LEAVE ME ALONE DAMMIT.

YES I HATE THAT

DAMNIT GOOGLE

Synoptikal
08-12-2013, 10:37 AM

So do I. "Oh you want me to put my real name in? Then how about First name: Sod Off, last name: Facebook!"

I hated it when Facebook forced a username on me. I was quite happy with my long number, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Pike
08-12-2013, 10:41 AM
I actually didn't mind the Facebook username because I just used "pikestaff" which is my e-name pretty much everywhere :)

Synoptikal
08-12-2013, 10:44 AM
I put off getting one for so long because I didn't feel obligated to get one.

...Then they made me get one and chose it for me.

Yerushalmi
08-12-2013, 10:49 AM
I put off getting one for so long because I didn't feel obligated to get one.

...Then they made me get one and chose it for me.

I left facebook long before they started doing that to people.

I am this close to leaving Google as well.

Pike
08-12-2013, 07:58 PM

I'm still waiting for a good replacement for gmail and then I am outta there.

Synoptikal
08-13-2013, 07:16 AM

Mind my asking why?

Lonely Paper Star
08-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Sometimes I forget that BoB's real name isn't BoB and that he doesn't actually look like a chocobo.

Yerushalmi
08-14-2013, 07:30 AM

Mind my asking why?

Because every three months they add a new feature to Gmail that makes it worse.

Pike
08-14-2013, 10:23 AM

Mind my asking why?

I don't like putting too many of my eggs in one company's basket. It makes me nervous. Should something happen to said company or should it suddenly take a turn for the ~*~EVIL~*~ or something then I'd rather have just one or two things affected by it and not my entire internet life (as would be the case if I used their search and their email and their browser and their online storage and their video service and their social network and their online word processor and their phone and their messaging service and their...)

Jiro
08-14-2013, 10:30 AM
But Google's motto is don't be evil :monster:

Pike
08-14-2013, 10:33 AM
That's what they all say :shifty:

Yerushalmi
08-14-2013, 10:38 AM

Because no company has ever used a motto that wasn't true :p

Jiro
08-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Didn't say I agree, it's just really blatant if they're lying :monster:

The Man
08-14-2013, 10:44 PM

Because no company has ever used a motto that wasn't true :pCan't emphasize this enough. If more people realised this, we might actually be able to get past some of humanity's biggest problems.

Related:

Google claims Gmail users have no ‘reasonable expectation’ their emails are private | The Raw Story (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/14/google-claims-gmail-users-have-no-reasonable-expectation-their-emails-are-private/)

Guess I'll be looking for a new email service. What email providers don't suck?

Yerushalmi
08-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Guess I'll be looking for a new email service. What email providers don't suck?

There aren't any, I'm afraid. That I know of.

Spuuky
08-14-2013, 11:16 PM
People on the Internet have no reasonable expectation that anything they do is private in any way.

Spooniest
08-16-2013, 05:57 AM
Witness the process by which people become reasonable...

By being unreasonable, and not getting anywhere.