PDA

View Full Version : [LR] Why yes, I *am* starting a thread about Lightning's Boobs

Super Christ
08-01-2013, 01:57 AM
A recent Q&A with the developers of Lightning Returns was really... depressing, on the whole, given the excellent legacy the Final Fantasy series has built up in the past, and the directions Square has recently (and continues to) take the series.

Among other ridiculous things they said, like how they're planning to out-open world Skyrim (really? with a timer?), apparently they also felt it was a pressing matter to let the public know that they're increasing Lightning's bust size to a D cup, and that she'll jiggle when she moves - just how much depending on how you equip her.

Here (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/07/final-fantasy-is-dead/) is an article with a translation of the relevant part of the interview - it's a little bit more editorial than I would have liked, but the only other article I have on it (the one which mentions the Skyrim claim) is at Sankaku Complex, which I will not link here because nearly all of their ads are for H-manga and JAV.

I don't oppose having jiggle physics in games - that is literally the only reason I bought Dead or Alive volleyball (probably the only reason anyone bought it) - and it's not like the series has never had any crude jokes (apparently Cecil's favorite magazines are the Ninja Sutra and the Lustful Lali-ho). Still, something about this doesn't sit right with me. I guess it's a combination of the fact that they're changing her - they've had plenty of characters who were busty to begin with, but apparently they feel Lightning needs a boob job; combined with the amount of thought they're actually putting into it - it doesn't take much effort to add text to an SNES game making a dirty magazine key item, but to add jiggle physics (that adjust to the outfit she's wearing!) will probably take at least one of their programmers a month of work to do.

Honestly, I'm struck speechless. The Final Fantasy series used to have more class than this. Yes, even Cloud crossdressing to get into Don Corneo's mansion was classier than this.

Jinx
08-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Maybe she's pregnant! Did you ever think of that? DID YOU?!

Denmark
08-01-2013, 02:20 AM
* TifasBoobs is now known as LightningsBoobs

boobs, now in HD

Raistlin
08-01-2013, 02:36 AM
I actually have an article coming out tomorrow that mentions this. I don't really care about the size of Lightning's boobs in and of itself, but I do think it's regrettable that the developers thought it necessary to focus on them to the extent of making a conscious decision to make them bigger.

Shorty
08-01-2013, 03:37 AM
This is ridiculous.

Del Murder
08-01-2013, 05:19 AM
This does nothing to dispel the current notion that SE just throws random trendy things into games to try and be more like the rest of the market.

Jinx
08-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Serious answer: what little respect I had for Square Enix is getting smaller and smaller by the day. Why increase her breast size? Why know what exact size her breasts are? And why feel the need to announce this to the world?

ShinGundam
08-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Serious answer: what little respect I had for Square Enix is getting smaller and smaller by the day. Why increase her breast size? Why know what exact size her breasts are? And why feel the need to announce this to the world?
I don't know, last time i checked outfits page, nothing seems different to me.
List of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Garb - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Lightning_Returns:_Final_Fantasy_XIII_Garb)

Hard to tell if there is increase or jiggle when only one costume out of the dozen or so we know about actually puts them on display( from XIV).

Karifean
08-01-2013, 12:38 PM
And why feel the need to announce this to the world?

To be fair, they were asked. (Or did I misunderstand something?)

ShinGundam
08-01-2013, 12:44 PM
And why feel the need to announce this to the world?

To be fair, they were asked. (Or did I misunderstand something?)
Yes, It was Q&A session and questions from JP gamers themselves.

KentaRawr!
08-15-2013, 02:23 AM
I think it's goofy for pretty much all of the aforementioned reasons. At what point did somebody really say "Hey, we should increase her boob size a cup or two" to which the rest of the development team replied "Yeah, do it!"? :p It just seems pointless. Plus giving her a Miqo'te outfit. Gah.

ZonkoTony
08-19-2013, 03:40 AM
I slightly disagree, because all the crazy outfits in other JRPGs were a total blast especially while playing and replaying 40, 50, 60 hour long games. Persona games especially benefited greatly because the dungeon crawl can be a bit of a drag at times and characters can sometimes actually make comments about their own outfits and it was a fun bit of 4th wall breaking.

I mean is it ridiculous? Maybe, but it's just for the fun factor of it, as 4th wall breaking as it can be. Not to mention her core characterization isn't really being changed at all. Lightning's canonical armors and even fully body covering armor like Cloud's SOLDIER outfit is there for the players. I do understand the way microtransactions can irk players, but hopefully there's enough options aside from the buyable options.