PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for in a game?

Shorty
08-01-2013, 08:54 PM
When judging games to play, what do you base your decisions on? What do you look for? Aesthetic value, story, gameplay? Puzzles, RPGs, FPSs? Are you more inclined to pick up a game with a male or female protagonist? What other factors influence your decision?

Shauna
08-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Fun, mostly. If I can enjoy the experience of playing a game, I can overlook minor problems here and there.

But uh, I don't let many factors dissuade me from getting a game. If I think I'll like it, I'll probably buy it. xD

Denmark
08-01-2013, 09:17 PM
gameplay, gameplay, and gameplay. if my actual gameplay experience keeps getting interrupted with STORYTIME, the actual gameplay had better be really good (see: 3-D Zelda games). most of the time, though, the gameplay is the only important thing. put the story in the manual or something and let me play the game.

I get bored of a game if it requires me to wait around for a period of time that I feel is unnecessarily long. this is really the main reason I've started but haven't finished FF7-9: random battles (which, for the most part, I enjoy fighting, as I try to fight all random battles in an RPG rather than running from them) take F O R E V E R to start up, and to occur, and to finish. if that's the limitation of the hardware, fine, I just won't play those games. If I'm going to spend my time playing a game, I want to spend that time PLAYING THE GAME.

Karifean
08-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Either something to get invested in, or something that's just awesome fun.

Loony BoB
08-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Fun.

Spuuky
08-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Sigh. I don't understand people who say things like "fun" in response to questions like this. If someone asks you what kind of food your like, or what your favorite food is, it is not a legitimate answer to say "the delicious kind."

The question actually being asked is obviously "what do you find fun in games?" Denmark is the only person who has legitimately answered this question, I think. Karifean arguably has with the first half of the answer.

Anyway, I look for one of the following: Immersion (which is hard to find), depth of strategy and progression (somewhat easier to find), or accessibility of the game to being played without thought, skill, or practice.

The first kind of game is something like Skyrim (which is a mediocre game maybe a 6.5/10, but a good example in what it's trying to accomplish and is well known).

The second type would be a game like X-COM, or King's Bounty, or the Total War series.

The third type is something like Mario Kart or Dynasty Warriors.

Depression Moon
08-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Gameplay 1st and foremost

Shauna
08-01-2013, 11:35 PM
I can't really give any more of a specific answer because I don't have any sort of set genre I look for, and I can enjoy a game that goes against what I love about many other games. Similarly, there are games I probably should enjoy when looking at the other games I enjoy that I just cannot find my footing in.
I enjoy many different games for many different reasons, and I can't really pinpoint anything they all have in common other than "I enjoyed the experience of playing them" whatever that may be. ~shrug~

Karifean
08-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Alright then. Here are the top three aspects of a game that make me love a game.

#1: Immersion. If I can get emotionally invested in a game and care for the characters, the world, the story, even the antagonist, it has succeeded. These kinds of games utilise the video game as a way to tell a story, much like a book or a movie, but they also use the advantages of a game to provide you with the feeling that you are part of the world and not just watching events pass. If a game has this feature, no others truly matter - sure, they are nice bonuses to have, but I already have more than I could ask for.

#2: Challenge and Strategic Flexibility. I like it when I am given bricks which I can build up in different ways to reach my goal. When it's a challenging task to find the correct order, even better. The flexibility is what prevents it from being a simple puzzle game and makes it something more rewarding. YOU found YOUR way, not THE way. Of course, challenge is mainly only welcome when you're ready for it, but when you are, it can be pretty awesome.

#3: Multiplayer. Singleplayer games are awesome in their own right (and I think #1, Immersion, works better in Singleplayer), but multiplayer take simple enjoyment to a whole new level. It is a lot of fun to face challenges with a friend by your side, and from time to time, it's fun to do a competitive match to prove your skill. Multiplayer is IMO the most fun if the people you're playing with are sitting right next to you, not in front of their computers a hundred miles away, but there's some merit to both of them. I can't really describe it well other than saying when you play with others, you'll just have a great time.

Spuuky
08-02-2013, 12:10 AM
See, that was a real answer. I do truly appreciate strategic flexibility also, but I find it incredibly rare. RPGs naturally have it more than most games, which is nice, but in the end most RPG options are all the same. It's VERY hard to find in puzzle games.

Aulayna
08-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Lately, probably due to the amount of time I've lost over the past 10 years to MMOs, I've really been drawn to games that let me customise the appearance of my character and other things about it. I dunno it just helps me become more invested in what happens to that character.

However saying that I binged on Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep for about 60 hours when I had no internet because I knew what to expect and knew it was a formula I liked.

I also really like games with very compelling stories. But at the same time I wasn't able to finish Bioshock Infinite because I didn't find the gameplay enjoyable and likewise with The Last of Us because I'm really not a fan of sneaking and stealthing around... and supposedly both of those games have amazing stories so I may have to force myself to finish to them at some point.

But generally I like flexibility, a story premise that interests me, gameplay mechanics that don't annoy me or just feel badly designed. I do tend to gravitate more toward RPGs but I've also picked up things like Saint's Row on a whim and really enjoyed them - so whilst I may first look for a good looking RPG that doesn't stop me from considering other options.

Friend recommendations also play a lot into it too.

Quindiana Jones
08-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Fun.

Spuuky
08-02-2013, 12:31 AM
I'd like to add to my answer:

Fun is a dealbreaker for me. If a game is "fun" or contains elements of "fun" I'm no longer interested.

Shorty
08-02-2013, 12:33 AM
itt spuuky is not a fan of katamari

Madame Adequate
08-02-2013, 12:35 AM
It kind of depends on the game. I'm not looking for anything in particular for the most part, and I'll play a kart racer or derpy platformer as readily as I'll play a hardcore strategy game. I am always looking for good worldbuilding and interesting plot though.

Pumpkin
08-02-2013, 12:40 AM
I look for characters first. Yes, I judge appearance, how many characters there seem to be (I love large casts of characters) next story and third is gameplay.

Shorty
08-02-2013, 12:41 AM
I probably also base a lot on aesthetics.

Pike
08-02-2013, 12:48 AM
X-COM

X-Com thread?

X-Com thread.

Anyways. Gameplay for sure above anything else. Above the art style, the story, the music, anything. It's all way down on the list under gameplay. I'm a lot like Huxley in that individual elements such as genre depend on my mood. But strategy games, in particular grand strategy, turn-based and 4X, are my favorite genre by far and if it falls into one of those above categories I've probably dumped a lot of time into it (or am planning to in the near future.)

Edit: Immersion is pretty good, I'd probably rate it my personal second. When it comes to immersion I've yet to find something that can top Morrowind.

Raistlin
08-02-2013, 01:19 AM
It depends on the type of game.

For JRPGs, I look first and foremost for story and characters. I can compromise on graphics and even gameplay if I can really be immersed in the story. (e.g., Lunar SSSC).

For other types of games, I generally like either complex ones that require (or at least can involve, depending on your play style) a lot of thought and strategy, or ridiculous, simple, brainless button-mashers that I can have fun screwing around with for 30-60 minutes at a time.

Alternatively, I also like fun games.

Formalhaut
08-02-2013, 01:42 AM
It's hard to grasp. I can't pin it down. If a game I'm playing just.. 'feels' right, then frankly that's all it needs. Just the feeling I get from it, like, this is the game for me.

Bolivar
08-02-2013, 01:46 AM
Fun is not always a requirement, hyper competitive games like Dota and Counter-Strike can be very painful if you're losing, but you can still learn and develop as a player, which can be much more satisfying than a pure "fun" game that's pretty to look at.

I'm willing to sacrifice across the spectrum depending on the game. Xenogears and Morrowind are pretty abysmal on the gameplay meter, but I was still able to appreciate and enjoy the powerful storytelling and world-building techniques they pioneered. But my favorite games are the ones that reach a little further and can balance all those things at the same time, like Dragon Quest or Metal Gear Solid.

krissy
08-02-2013, 03:36 AM
short skirt
long jacket

Spooniest
08-02-2013, 05:01 AM
Good music.

I can be remarkably flexible about basically anything else in a game, but if the music gets on my nerves or is noticeably absent for long periods of time, I just feel let down.

Conversely, if the game is just sort of so-so, but the music is phenomenal, I'll play a game just for the music. TMNT: The Arcade Game is a good example. Gameplay? Repetitive. Music?

Kick.

Fucking.

Ass. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI-bAF2MidM)

Laddy
08-02-2013, 05:16 AM
Strategic depth and a good story, preferably in a way that's not offered in other entries.

Del Murder
08-02-2013, 06:33 AM
It depends on the genre. I really only play three genres: platform, action-adventure, and RPG.

Platform - Tight controls, variety in level design, innovative moves/power-ups, and abundance of secret areas or collectibles.

Action/Adventure - Engaging storyline, dynamic hero, weapon variety, gameplay mechanics that make sense and don't get too repetitive.

RPG - Depth of stat/customization system, engaging and innovative storyline, likable characters, abundance of sidequests, strategic element of battles.

Is that good enough for you, Romeo?

Mahad
08-02-2013, 06:50 AM
I like story the most. If it's a great story, I can probably tolerate poor gameplay. Good gameplay also helps, though. Graphics isn't a big deal, but I like modern-looking graphics. My favorite genres are rpgs and strategy, but I can play shooters or the occasional racing game and have fun with that too. Good music is a great plus, but not a deal breaker.

Spuuky
08-02-2013, 07:02 AM
It depends on the genre. I really only play three genres: platform, action-adventure, and RPG.

Platform - Tight controls, variety in level design, innovative moves/power-ups, and abundance of secret areas or collectibles.

Action/Adventure - Engaging storyline, dynamic hero, weapon variety, gameplay mechanics that make sense and don't get too repetitive.

RPG - Depth of stat/customization system, engaging and innovative storyline, likable characters, abundance of sidequests, strategic element of battles.

Is that good enough for you, Romeo?Wouldn't you rather just play games that are fun?

yukina
08-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Story then gameplay. I can tolerate kinda shoddy gameplay so long as the story is engaging. Heck, I'd even play games outside of my usual repertoire if the story interests me. That said, I wouldn't really say no to fun games with a so-so story every now and then. :)

Pike
08-02-2013, 10:12 AM
short skirt
long jacket

Did you mean: looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong jacket

Spooniest
08-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Wouldn't you rather just play games that are fun?

That would defeat the purpose of playing games.

Pete for President
08-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Mental challenge
No holding hands
No one man army
No maps
Imply, don't tell
Dark Souls.

Polnareff
08-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Gameplay. A game ain't shit without good gameplay. Unfortunately all these developers really care about now is story. Bioware and whatever company made Assassin's Creed are good examples.

Masamunemaster
08-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I tend to aim for something that calls for some strategy, like rpgs. There is some times though that I just want a simple game to waste time on.

I try not to burn myself out on any kind of game at one time, so I may play a few rpg games, then switch it up to action or puzzle games.

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Gameplay. A game ain't shit without good gameplay. Unfortunately all these developers really care about now is story. Bioware and whatever company made Assassin's Creed are good examples.

AC? Really? They've made it quite clear that they are all about gameplay with that series nowadays.

Shiny
08-08-2013, 02:30 AM
-Engaging story: Though not so much important to me with arcade style games. The story has to make me care about the outcome or the protagonist for me to really enjoy it.
-Characters aren't annoying and if they are I can make them die horrible deaths if I want to
-Replayability: I usually keep my games so I'd like to still have fun going back to it every now and again
-Amazing music: If I am going to spend hours on something with looped music it better be good.

Araciel
08-08-2013, 04:03 AM
product placement

edczxcvbnm
08-09-2013, 02:10 AM
What to look for in a game? I like to now classify games into 2 types of categories namely Big Budget and Indie and I look for different things in both of these.

The indie game market I am looking for a unique gameplay experience with well thought out gameplay concepts. Some examples of some games that I have that I think follow these are FTL, Prison Architect, AntiChamber, Braid or Trials Evolution. All of these games are kind of pick up and go without much story to them. Prison Architect is still in development (only on Alpha build 12 right now) but it is highly engaging and seeing the development process as it progresses and how it affects the game is interesting in its own right.

As for the traditional big budgeted games, I have begun to look more and more for a meaningful story that is driven by the gameplay. It is also a big bonus if the choices I am able to make matter and how much choice matters in the game.

Immersion can be a pretty big deal in specific types of games (see horror) and I am a big fan of strategy games even though I utterly suck at them. Starcraft, Civilization are damn well designed and a ton of fun. Lets get down to a few examples.

Skyrim ultimately got on my nerves and I became pretty aggravated at the game. For the first 20 hours, I did what I like to do. I ignored the story and when exploring. That is kind of fun but there isn't much to see as I go from point to point. I am not a big fan of a huge world for the sake of a huge world. Then there are the choices you can make in the game. I feel that from a story perspective, that I have no real choice. You are the good guy and will do good things because the developers want to tell you a shitty story with no complexity. I am not a fan. You can't kill even insignificant villagers half the time because they might be important to some minor quest somewhere. I made the choice to kill them and it should fail said quest. It was my choice to do that!

On the flip side I LOVE Fallout New Vegas. Tons of locations, most of which have stuff to do and never an insane trek away. I make my own way in the story through the choices I make. If I want to be a murderous asshole and kill a ton of people, I can do that and they actually die! Piss off the NCR? That option is gone and I have made a big enemy. Caesar's Legion, House or screw them all and forge my own path for New Vegas. Even a lot of the side quests and things have their own outcomes based on some of the choices you have made. But I feel best of all is that in these choices the endings are never truly good or bad. They are a mixed bag proving that there are no perfect choices and that things don't always turn out perfect and rosy which also fits the themes of the game.

Now for a quick good bad list.
Shadow of the Colossus - Good. A nice slow burn where a lot of what is going on is the adventure and the consequences of going on the quest right up till the end when you become the monster. Simple and minimalist but I felt it was an effective story none the less.

Bioshock Infitie - Not so Good. Pacing, story structure and character resolution leaves much to be desired. The themes of rebirth and redemption surface and never quite dive in enough for the character. Feels like a rejected Hollywood movie script. Sad and all too common.

Bioshock - Pretty Good. Pacing and story seem to line up quite nicely and the gameplay fits with the world. Adam had a purpose in the story and the gameplay. Finding random audio logs in a torn down world that is falling apart makes sense. The deconstruction of Objectivism and the morality are engaging. The dualistic choice to save or harvest is laughable and so is the final confrontation. The game has faults to overcome.

The Walking Dead - Awesome. A game all about choices and how they affect things. Should I side with Kenny in this dispute? Who to feed? How should I deal with Lilly? Who to save? Should I kill this person? The way the other characters reacted and remembered my choices made me feel like a part of that world and it started to become incredibly immersive as this wasn't just any Lee Everitt. It was me and my choices. Good or bad. My first play through I lived with my mistakes. Maybe I didn't see something or react fast enough. That's life and it shaped the way the characters in the game treated me. At the end of the game Kenny decided to go with me because even though I might have had disagreements with him, I was always there for his family so he will be there for mine. In a sense that felt like a friend coming to my aid and few if any games have been able to pull that off.

Dead Space - Pretty Good. No HUD was ingenious. The menus were projected from my character's suit and it was real time so I had to think fast. The atmosphere always kept me at the edge of my seat and the story came in classic survival horror: audio logs and random notes for the most part. My character didn't speak so I had a feeling like I was shaping him. The action never seemed to get too heavy until the end which fit with the story and I like the kind of ambiguous ending.

Dead Space 2 - Bad. Same HUD...good. Issac doesn't know when to shut up, bad! The last game was claustrophobic and tense in my opinion and this game was trashy, loud and action packed. They wanted more 'epic moments' but epic moments are not scary. They are awesome. And when things were kind of scary, Issac ruined my almost immersion by opening his mouth and saying something at the wrong time and I felt was out of place. Don't tell me how to feel game. Let me feel what I want to feel.

Agent Proto
08-09-2013, 03:36 AM
I enjoy games with a good story and great characters. Other factors include gameplay. Games that are easy to understand and play are good, and I also enjoy a bit of challenge as well. If games are too easy, I will lose interest or only play in short spurts to kill time.

black orb
08-30-2013, 06:56 AM
>>> Fun.. :luca:

YaakaKhiladi
09-02-2013, 05:58 PM
My only priority is to have a good fun.....!
To have an intersting stuff so that i can pass my time...!

Araciel
09-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Changing my answer to Dragon's Crown

Madame Adequate
09-03-2013, 05:56 AM
If that's all you want, Dead or Alive did it earlier and 99 years old.

Shaibana
09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
I enjoy games with a good story and great characters. Other factors include gameplay. Games that are easy to understand and play are good, and I also enjoy a bit of challenge as well. If games are too easy, I will lose interest or only play in short spurts to kill time.

:cheers::up:

Polnareff
09-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Gameplay. A game is nothing without good gameplay. I'd take a game with no story but good gameplay over a game with great story but bad/average gameplay.

Del Murder
09-06-2013, 12:40 AM
I'm sorry, but 'gameplay' is not a valid answer (I don't mean to pick on you in particular Pol). Obviously, you play the game. If you can't play it, it's not a game. It's almost like saying the thing you look for in a movie is 'plot'.

What types of gameplay elements do you guys who like 'gameplay' look for?

Spuuky
09-06-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm sorry, but 'gameplay' is not a valid answer (I don't mean to pick on you in particular Pol). Obviously, you play the game. If you can't play it, it's not a game. It's almost like saying the thing you look for in a movie is 'plot'.

What types of gameplay elements do you guys who like 'gameplay' look for?I think this is really bad sarcasm, but I'll respond seriously anyway. It's possible to enjoy a game without enjoying the gameplay of it (I nearly enjoyed Xenosaga: Episode 2 despite the gameplay being abjectly awful). You can derive fun from other things than gameplay, like the atmosphere, story, or aesthetic.

But it is pretty close to the line and would be better served with a deeper explanation, yes.

Slothy
09-06-2013, 01:06 AM
That's a bit like asking a car nut what his favourite car is Del. You really can't go too narrow with it or you lose the variety that appeals to someone in the details, and you can't really get into specific mechanics too much because then answers can be as utterly meaningless as saying I like games that let you jump.

In the broadest possible terms, I like gameplay that is challenging and has plenty of depth and nuance to it to keep you busy for hours. This could include anything as complex as Starcraft or as simple as the running, jumping, block breaking combo in the original Super Mario Bros.

But to put it into somewhat easier terms for anyone to understand, if you can play a game for hours, months, or years, just for the simple joy of experiencing it's mechanics, then it's got great gameplay. And if you can't enjoy a game for that long because it's mechanics just don't hold up over time, then what's the point in it being a game in the first place?

Spuuky
09-06-2013, 01:57 AM
Are you saying there's no value in a game that is tremendously, massively enjoyable to play for an hour, and then has essentially no reason to replay it until you've kind of forgotten what it was like two years later? Because that's basically what all movies aspire to.

Slothy
09-06-2013, 02:08 AM
Of course there's value in a game that's massively enjoyable for one hour. There's exactly one hour of massive enjoyment. I wouldn't pay $60 for it though.

I'm not saying shorter experiences can't be enjoyable, or that they can't be well worth the time and money, but if you want to know what makes for great gameplay, see my comment above. Any game you can't enjoy playing just for the sake of playing for more than an hour probably doesn't have the best gameplay (I'd be hesitant to say it's even good gameplay if that's how long the experience holds up with nothing else to discover mechanics wise), but may have other qualities which help overcome that.

Quindiana Jones
09-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Of course there's value in a game that's massively enjoyable for one hour. There's exactly one hour of massive enjoyment. I wouldn't pay $60 for it though.

Hmm...

Y'know, I think I'm charging too much. :erm: