PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls Anthology

I Don't Need A Name
08-02-2013, 11:17 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/files/2013/08/ElderScrollsAnthologyBox.jpg

Bethesda have announced, at the start of QuakeCon, the release of The Elder Scrolls Anthology, which collects the series in one collection for the PC. It will be released on 10th September and will be priced around $79.99. The box includes

The Elder Scrolls Arena
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
• Tribunal
• Bloodmoon
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
• Knights of the Nine
• Shivering Isles
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
• Dawnguard
• Hearthfire
• Dragonborn
Along with 5 physical maps of Tamriel, Iliac Bay, Morrowind, Cyrodiil, and Skyrim.

I for one will be keeping my eye on this, but what do you guys think? Many of you will already have at least one copy of one of these games. But are you torn between not getting it or forgetting that you already have them to have a copy of this lovely collectors piece? (I'm looking at you Pike)

Quindiana Jones
08-02-2013, 11:21 AM
JEFF. Can't get it in China! Buy me one! Pay you back soon!

Jiro
08-02-2013, 12:01 PM
I will buy this. I have copies of the latest three games, but I have none of the expansions and PC is the superior system to play them on. Perfect. Can't wait to try Arena and Daggerfall for the first time too.

I Don't Need A Name
08-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Why the chuff did I post this in Lounge!? Someone move to General Gaming? ^^" Edit: Thank youu!

Sure thing Dave, you'll have to swing by mine to pick it up though! It'll be my first time playing Morrowind, so I'll look forward to it :jess:

Bolivar
08-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Got the last three with expansions (just ordered skyrim legendary ^_^) and the first two are shareware but hot damn is that a sexy bundle. I might buy the maps from someone off ebay or something...

Loony BoB
08-02-2013, 03:55 PM
I only own Oblivion & Skyrim's standard games, so maybe after I'm married I can consider buying this kinda stuff. Maybe!

Quindiana Jones
08-02-2013, 03:57 PM
The maps'll be, like, £80 anyway on ebay. xD

Pike
08-02-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm actually rather disappointed that none of the sidegames are included. Where's Redguard? Shadowkey? Battlespire? Dawnstar? Stormhold?? :colbert:

I'm considering picking this up anyway because it looks lovely and it comes with two maps that I don't have already. But really, Bethesda, gimme my sidegames!

Spuuky
08-02-2013, 05:13 PM
I've always wondered why there are so many people willing to pay for copies of games they already own. I mean, you could buy every game on this list individually for less than $80 total, although then you wouldn't have the burden of physical media.

Araciel
08-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Considering only half of it is worth playing..

The maps would be useful if ever I wanted to run a P&P game in Tamriel, though..

I Don't Need A Name
08-02-2013, 06:46 PM
I've always wondered why there are so many people willing to pay for copies of games they already own. I mean, you could buy every game on this list individually for less than $80 total, although then you wouldn't have the burden of physical media.

Physical media is never a burden. It is glorious and should never be substituted :colbert:

Bunny
08-02-2013, 07:29 PM

I've always wondered why there are so many people willing to pay for games. I mean, you could just download every game on the list individually for less than any money whatsoever, although then you wouldn't have the burden of legally owning the game.

Spuuky
08-02-2013, 07:54 PM
I've always wondered why there are so many people willing to pay for games. I mean, you could just download every game on the list individually for less than any money whatsoever, although then you wouldn't have the burden of legally owning the game.Fortunately for you, that one is extremely easy to figure out. Some people have ethics, so they pay for them instead of downloading them.

Bunny
08-02-2013, 09:06 PM
I've always wondered why there are so many people willing to pay for games. I mean, you could just download every game on the list individually for less than any money whatsoever, although then you wouldn't have the burden of legally owning the game.Fortunately for you, that one is extremely easy to figure out. Some people have ethics, so they pay for them instead of downloading them.

Fortunately for you, yours is also extremely easy to figure out. Some people are collectors, so they pay for things they might already have in order to obtain things that they do not already have.

Also the whole ethics of downloading argument is boring and false.

NorthernChaosGod
08-02-2013, 09:24 PM
That looks awesome. I don't have Oblivion at all nor any of the expansions for Skyrim so I might get it. :D

Spuuky
08-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Fortunately for you, yours is also extremely easy to figure out. Some people are collectors, so they pay for things they might already have in order to obtain things that they do not already have.

Also the whole ethics of downloading argument is boring and false.Really, the ethics of stealing is "boring and false"? Let me know how you feel about that when intellectual property is how you feed your family.

Bunny
08-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Most people feed their family with money earned from a salary they earn while doing a job they are paid for. Most people do not feed their family with money earned from sales, that goes almost solely to the company and is earned prior to the purchase of a physical copy of a game. Unless you are making commission from sales (which doesn't happen if you sell video games) or you are an extremely small company (which is a completely different monster entirely, especially since we aren't talking about an indie company) your argument is completely invalid.

Flying Mullet
08-04-2013, 01:19 AM
I'm actually rather disappointed that none of the sidegames are included. Where's Redguard? Shadowkey? Battlespire? Dawnstar? Stormhold?? :colbert:

I'm considering picking this up anyway because it looks lovely and it comes with two maps that I don't have already. But really, Bethesda, gimme my sidegames!
Only a die-hard Elder Scrolls fan would find something to complain about here. :p

Del Murder
08-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Wow, I know many of us pirate stuff and don't bat an eyelash about it, but this is the first time I've heard someone actually argue that it's not stealing and unethical. What the hell?

You know sales figures determine if the company stays in business and these people continue to get a salary, right?

As for the topic, $80 for all that is not too bad, though this is probably geared more towards collectors than newcomers to the series (like myself--I've never actually played an Elder Scrolls game).

Bunny
08-04-2013, 01:34 AM
Wow, I know many of us pirate stuff and don't bat an eyelash about it, but this is the first time I've heard someone actually argue that it's not stealing and unethical. What the hell?

I never argued that pirating things was not stealing or unethical. I simply stated that not every person on the planet has the same specific ethics and that they differ from person-to-person. Some people don't view it as stealing or unethical. Sorry if that was not clear in my original post. Regardless though, pirating a video game is about as unethical as most of the business practices that Gamestop or EA uses. Doesn't make it right, but makes it a tad more understandable to me.

You know sales figures determine if the company stays in business and these people continue to get a salary, right?

Yea, I'm aware of this but thanks for the clarification. I really don't think a small portion of the population that does illegally download video games is going to significantly impact a huge company enough that it will put them out of business. Can you name one established video game company that was put out of business due solely to the loss of sales from pirating?

Del Murder
08-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Well obviously people who don't view it as stealing are wrong. Thanks for clarifying that you're not one of them. It means a lot to me.

Bolivar
08-04-2013, 05:38 AM
I'm with Bunny in that I really can't blame anyone for downloading a copy of a game they wouldn't otherwise buy. I only have a problem with companies who decide to go into budiness ripping off others IP. That was what the SOPA and PIPA laws were all about, except the multi-billion dollar corporations who vicariously and contributarily profit from such infringement spent a ton of money convincing us that it was about our individual rights but that's another thread.

Piracy has killed one platform, though and that was the PSP. Publishers backed off of it once the data was coming out about just how many people were pirating the biggest games as opposed to buying them at release. Although as a gamer, when the PSP became a "dead" platform in the west, that was when the most incredible games started coming out for it. Because of that, I'll never buy the argument that the more sales a company gets, the better games we as consumers will start getting.

Buy that's also another thread.

Raistlin
08-04-2013, 08:09 AM
I do disagree with the straight piracy=stealing equivalence. It is more complex than that. For example, I have downloaded some old NES/SNES ROMs, and even some PS2 games that I already owned so that I could take screenshots. In none of those cases would I have actually bought the game (again), so no one actually lost money from a potential sale. Under what definition of "theft" is that stealing?

It does fit under some standards of copyright infringement, which is another issue. But a big problem with copyright law is where it divorces itself from moral standards, and is enforced in a black-and-white fashion (just see how the RIAA has alienated, well, everyone over the years). The more clear-cut infringer is the distributor, someone who uploads a copy of the game for mass-distribution for any and all comers.

Although at this point we're getting pretty off-topic. :p I will say that the Anthology looks very cool, and if I didn't already have Morrowind and Oblivion I would consider getting it myself.

Del Murder
08-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Well, on-topic, this came up in the context of downloading these individual games for free instead of buying the collector's set, which pretty much fits the definition of stealing. :p

Raistlin
08-04-2013, 08:24 AM
That I would agree with. If I care enough about a game that I would buy it if the internet didn't exist, especially one that's still being published, then I will go out and pay for it. As I said, I would consider this Anthology if I didn't already own Morrowind and if I cared at all about the Oblivion expansions.

Aulayna
08-04-2013, 09:27 AM
I'd consider it for the maps but meh, the only games I don't have are Arena and Daggerfall and I don't have a burning desire to play either of them anytime soon. Maybe if I was still a teenager and had all the free time in the world.

Pike
08-04-2013, 10:16 AM
if I cared at all about the Oblivion expansions.

I know it's hard to believe but the expacs are far and away the best part of Oblivion. Shivering Isles in particular.

Also, for anyone who is interested, Arena (http://www.elderscrolls.com/arena/) and Daggerfall (http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/) are available free from the Elder Scrolls website. They're as-is so it takes a few minutes of messing around in Dosbox to get them running, but they work.

But yeah between the fact that I've downloaded those ages ago and own two copies each of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, the only real reason I'm interested in the Anthology is because I'm a superfan. :p

Spuuky
08-04-2013, 07:51 PM
I'd personally make a distinction between pirating things that aren't really available for sale as opposed to things that are (I had no problem ROMing DQ5 long ago, when there was simply no English release) and things that are, sure. In either case it's stealing; I just feel justified in doing it.

Whether you want to steal from large corporations is your business, I suppose, but I assume that anyone can see the reasons why someone might not want to do that, which is the entire point.

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2013, 03:22 AM
Theft and copyright infringement are completely different things, and even exist in completely different areas of law. You lot are like the "PIRACY - IT'S A CRIME" tosspots. It's not a crime; stop referring to it as such. Ethical dilemmas aside, it's important to call a spade a spade, for the sake of clarity and just plain being-correct-ness.

Pike
08-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Offtopic much, guys? :p Feel free to make another thread as this is an interesting topic but we should really go back to talking about TES and how I really just want these figurines to be included in the anthology:

theundeadhero
08-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I personally want an orc with a mohawk figurine to be included in every anthology, so yes.

Pike
08-06-2013, 05:18 PM
It's an Ordinator. Get out. :doublecolbert:

sir helix
08-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Don't know if this has been replyed to but the reason the red guard and the like arn't included is that Bethesda doesn't own right to the games. It's on their site.

Bolivar
08-06-2013, 08:20 PM
My Morrowind character actually was an Orc with a Mohawk and in Tribunal he wore a Hands of Almalexia set after the mission where you put one of them down. Unfortunately I couldn't talk to any ordinators while wearing it, regardless of how enthusiastically they greeted me...

escobert
08-08-2013, 04:34 AM
I would like to get this. Does it come with ALL the Oblivion DLC or just the expansions?

Pike
08-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Just the expacs, from what I understand.

Jiro
08-08-2013, 01:42 PM
That's a bit shit. I fucking want my horse armour :colbert:

escobert
08-09-2013, 08:29 AM
I agree. especially when I already have everything for Oblivion!

Quindiana Jones
08-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Horse Armor was fucking awesome. I wish they had horse armor in Skyrim.

Not even joking. If GoW3 can get away unridiculed for selling weapon skin packs for £30, Oblivion is cleared of all DLC mockery. And I really did like the horse armor. :(

SteahMeLee
09-11-2013, 09:02 AM
I want it on PS3 not PC!!!!!! :cry:
Although these games are better on PC 'cause of console, mods, etc...

Pike
09-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Well you probably won't get Arena or Daggerfall on console anytime soon since they're DOS games and I dunno if they'd go out of their way to port those two.

I still want all the side games :mad2:

SteahMeLee
09-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Well, maybe not those two, I actually can't play them since I hate first person view... But at least Morrowind!

Pike
09-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Morrowind works best on PC. Better menus plus billions of mods :love:

I, uh... may like Morrowind mods a bit :shobon:

SteahMeLee
09-11-2013, 11:05 AM
I know, also Oblivion and Skyrim are rich of mods but still I prefer them on console! XD I'm actually intrigued by how the Monk class works on Morrowind, all based on damaging fatigue, something still applied in Oblivion but at a smaller rate and totally forgotten on Skyrim where fists do just normal health damage!