PDA

View Full Version : Dream Factory (Tobal 1 and 2, Ehrgeiz, The Bouncer) appreciation thread

Polnareff
08-02-2013, 02:05 PM
I like DF's games, with my favorite being Tobal 2. I'm still pretty mad about us not getting an English version of that game. It was a very deep fighter with a nuanced grappling system, and over 200 characters to play as. I wasn't really a fan of the Quest mode (which seems to be everyone else's favorite part of the game) but the one on one fights were great. :jess: Seriously, look up some Tobal 2 matches online. Some of them even put Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter to shame. I don't have the game anymore, but I plan to get it for my birthday.

Ehrgeiz I just ended up getting the JP version of yesterday, and it's better than I remembered. Once you get used to the crazy-ass controls, it's fun. The novelty of having the FFVII characters in there doesn't wear off very easily, either. I actually like this game's quest mode better than Tobal 2's for some reason. Maybe it's because the controls are actually tailor-made for it.

The Bouncer was pretty cool at the time, but is really dated now. I liked how the first few times you beat the game, the enemies would scale up with you. Of course, this meant I could never beat the 4th Dauragon. I wish the game was more like it was in beta form, with weapons you could use, and context-sensitive moves. In a way Square pretty much ruined the original game. It's still fun if you've never played it, but the fun wears off fast. Still, it's a great looking game and there are lots of moves to pull off.

Any EoFFers ever played any of these games? What are your opinions on them?

DMKA
08-03-2013, 01:06 AM
The best thing about Tobal 2 was that you could fight as a Chocobo. :D

Polnareff
08-03-2013, 01:26 AM
Oh c'mon DMKA. Don't downplay Tobal 2's awesomeness like that. :p
Although it is true.

WildRaubtier
08-03-2013, 01:58 AM
I've got a save on floor 20 or something of Ehrgeiz's Quest mode on hard difficulty, just waiting for me to remember about it when I have the time to try and beat it to see what happens...

Scotty_ffgamer
08-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Ehrgeiz is so much fun. I haven't played any of the others though.

I did enjoy the ending to one of the character's stories in Ehrgeiz that just involved watching him eat ramen forever.

Bolivar
08-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Yeah Ehrgeiz was a really fast, fluid, and overall fun 3d fighting game, I like how there were platforms and stuff in some of the levels. The Quest mode was pretty addicting, but there's only so long I can delve into an endless dungeon - and that's countless hours apparently.

I also liked the FFVII trailers they had if you beat the tournament with one of the characters.

Wasn't Zack in the game?

Jiro
08-13-2013, 04:21 AM
The Bouncer was fucking sweet.

Polnareff
10-18-2013, 04:10 PM
I know this thread is two months old but it's 1. my thread and 2. I ended up finding Tobal 2 last night at Warp Zone. I had forgotten how awesome the game is. I don't like the method you use to unlock the monsters, but the Quest mode itself is ok. I just unlocked Mufu for the first time ever, and he's a cheap bastard.