PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Suggestions

Depression Moon
08-02-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm looking for a new laptop. My current one has died from a system board failure, so I need a new one. I'm primarily looking one for school use and to listen to music. I've heard of refurbished computers, but are they trustworthy? What brand is the best?

It's tax free weekend in my state and if a brand new one is the better choice now's the time to get one.

Shorty
08-02-2013, 08:34 PM
I like HP!

Spuuky
08-02-2013, 08:35 PM
You could get a refurbished one but I don't really see the point, as they're barely cheaper. If that's really all you are doing on it (no games or anything) then I'd just get a $300-400 one that isn't made by HP or Dell. Here's an example (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312429).

What size are you looking for, though? Some people only want small ones or large ones. Middle-range ones are the cheapest.

CimminyCricket
08-02-2013, 08:42 PM
I've had the same Toshiba Satellite laptop for almost 5 years now. I bought it early 2009 and have only had one issue with it and that was covered by warranty. I've dropped this thing, spilled liquid on it and everything. The only complaint I have with it right now is the fact that the battery doesn't last as long as I would like it to, but that's a natural battery deterioration.

Depression Moon
08-02-2013, 08:45 PM
A middle range one is fine and what's particularly wrong with HP?

CimminyCricket
08-02-2013, 08:58 PM
I've found that they have some particularly cheap parts. Inside the laptop there's this little stand that holds the A/C female port (used for charging) In most laptops it's soldered to the mother board or to something else. In the HPs I've had, it was held in place by plastic. Plastic that breaks and then leaves you physically unable to charge your laptop without opening it and jerry rigging the insides.

yukina
08-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Toshiba's a pretty good brand. My previous laptop lasted all 4 years in my care before it had any major damage (which were mostly my fault really). My dad's first laptop is a Toshiba (probably 10 years old) and it's still alive today. :)

Depression Moon
08-04-2013, 05:16 PM
The one that had the system failure on me was a Toshiba. It's a funny thing with brands sometimes that brings me into conflict. When I have a bad experience with something from a particular brand someone else says that it's really good.

Which inch monitor on a laptop is considered Medium sized?

noxious.sunshine
08-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Dell sucks.

CimminyCricket
08-04-2013, 06:47 PM
15-15.6 is usually considered 'medium'. Anything above that is often considered 'big'. The bigger screens come with an added bonus of a number pad on the keyboard, but if you don't use or care for it, what's the point?

Mirage
08-04-2013, 08:25 PM
I've found that they have some particularly cheap parts. Inside the laptop there's this little stand that holds the A/C female port (used for charging) In most laptops it's soldered to the mother board or to something else. In the HPs I've had, it was held in place by plastic. Plastic that breaks and then leaves you physically unable to charge your laptop without opening it and jerry rigging the insides.

While having the AC connectors held in place with plastic is a bit cheap, having them not be soldered directly to the motherboard also means that you won't need to replace the entire motherboard if you manage to ruin the plug. It should probably be done with something better than two plastic bits though.

CimminyCricket
08-04-2013, 09:18 PM
With the solder I've had no issues with breaking the a/c and I've dropped it right on the plug and nothing came of it. I have lost two laptops to plastic supports and it's incredibly frustrating haha