PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda. The Original. For NE-stinkin'-S.

Pike
08-03-2013, 10:36 AM
lpEzYEoV9qY

I'm pretty sure I was about five years old when I first played this game and I hadn't the faintest idea what I was doing. I died a lot and I didn't really understand how I was really supposed to play it. I played it a lot anyway, but I wouldn't really appreciate this game until much later when I was older. Basically this is a delightful little no-nonsense hack n' slash game where the entire point is just to stab guys with your sword, collect rupees, and explore. That's it. And it is GLORIOUS.

Let's discuss this game and please don't tell me you guys are too young to have played it :colbert:

Shauna
08-03-2013, 11:02 AM
We have it on the virtual console on the 3DS. I have not played it. Should really do so one day!

Pike
08-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Seriously, only one reply to this thread so far? :doublecolbert:

Flying Mullet
08-03-2013, 04:43 PM
You are absolutely correct. It is GLORIOUS! The first time I played it I got stuck on the third labyrinth because I couldn't defeat the knight guys that you can't stab from the front, thus I couldn't get the raft and couldn't proceed further. I kept trying to find other ways to advance the game without clearing out that room but to no avail.

Pumpkin
08-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I played it a long time ago when I was really little. I don't remember much.

My son is playing it :jess:

The Man
08-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Earlier this year I played both quests of this game four times in about a month. I still wasn't bored of it by the end, but decided to play all the other 2D Zelda games first (there were several others I had never played).

There's also a ROM hack of this game called Outlands which is pretty good.

interesting fact: all the rooms in the dungeons of a given quest will fit into a 16x16 grid. Observe here (http://fools-gold.org/aaron/zelda1.html).

Formalhaut
08-03-2013, 04:51 PM
I played it a long time ago when I was really little. I don't remember much.

My son is playing it :jess:

I want a Yerushalmi style Let's Play of that one day.

Slothy
08-03-2013, 05:08 PM
I've played it, but never the whole thing. Perhaps we need an EoFF plays for this game.

Bolivar
08-03-2013, 05:10 PM
On NES I was only able to find and complete the first dungeon. From there, the game completely lost me.

Most of my experience seeing the game has been on ROM. I once used a guide that got me a bunch of weapons, hearts, the blue tunic and the master sword before completing the first dungeon. I'm still pretty impressed with how nonlinear and exploration-focused the game is (the first Metal Gear is very similar).

I really wish Nintendo would release this as a 3D Classic!!!

Aulayna
08-03-2013, 05:16 PM
I played it on this:

http://zeldawiki.org/images/3/39/CE_EU_Box.jpg

Along with the very, very bad port of Majora's Mask which crashed all the time. :(

Raistlin
08-03-2013, 05:17 PM
I played it a little bit many years ago, but like others I never finished it. Maybe I'll go back to it one day, because I love games where you can explore to your heart's content.

CimminyCricket
08-03-2013, 06:22 PM
I played it on this:

http://zeldawiki.org/images/3/39/CE_EU_Box.jpg

Along with the very, very bad port of Majora's Mask which crashed all the time. :(

I have this too!
I don't like that it'll crash on me when I play it. :C

Venom65437
08-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Played and beat it on the NES way back in the day for the first time. It was so different from any other game I had played before. It took forever because I didn't know what to do and had no map! I can still go back and play this game any time!

Del Murder
08-03-2013, 06:46 PM
You post a thread in the wee hours of a Saturday morning and are surprised no one replied to it a few hours later?

I love the original Zelda. In fact, objectively, I feel it is the greatest video game of all time. It's kind of like the Gone With the Wind of video games. Sure, plenty of better games came later, but for what it did during it's time is truly amazing.

This game has aged incredibly well and I could play it now and still be amazed with the depth of it. The fact that the first playthrough is so great, and then there is a second quest with new dungeon design and increased difficulty is just the icing on the cake.

My favorite part is probably all the secrets and treasures scatted across the map. Upgrading Link's sword gives me such a great sense of satisfaction.

Sephex
08-03-2013, 07:13 PM
It's a game that bigger developers don't have the balls to make anymore. Not that I mind story in my game, and the original isn't even my favorite Zelda, but I love the fact that the game just starts and you can go do whatever right away. No intro scene, no blocked off sections (not counting areas you need items for), no artificial padding. It's a fun video game that let's the player decide how to handle every objective without muddling the screen with tips or giving any indication of where to go WITHOUT have the player feel helpless.

NorthernChaosGod
08-03-2013, 09:28 PM
This is actually the game that got me into video games when I was little. When I was about five or six years old, me and my dad would sit down and play NES games with each other after he got home from work. LoZ was my favorite one even though I sucked.

Del Murder
08-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Also the cartridge was gold. That's just freakin badass. It's like they knew this would be one of the best games ever.

Slothy
08-04-2013, 02:30 AM
Coloured cartridges in general are awesome. Only thing I really miss from back in the day.

Pike
08-04-2013, 10:18 AM
:love: I like seeing all this love for this game. It really was just hugely ambitious for its time. And yeah, gold cartridge.

Aulayna
08-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Yeah I loved the gold cartridges. My OoT and Majora's Mask are gold cartridges :3

(this is a pretty big deal in Europe as the Gold Cart versions were incredibly rare - OoT especially)

Flying Mullet
08-04-2013, 01:42 PM
You post a thread in the wee hours of a Saturday morning and are surprised no one replied to it a few hours later?

I was happy to post in this thread and give it the "Mulley Bump" so others would be interested in it and post. :aimsun:

Aulayna
08-04-2013, 01:47 PM

I was happy to post in this thread and give it the "Mulley Bump" so others would be interested in it and post. :aimsun:

No-one can resist the Mulley Bump :jokey:

KentaRawr!
08-04-2013, 03:15 PM
I've beaten the original game twice, but sadly I never bothered to go on to the second quest. I really should've done that, especially when EoFF was doing that whole "Let's play Zelda!" event.

I saw a video recently about the BS Zelda games which I think will be really interesting to people who enjoy the original game. Check it out!

BDVxSm-_iM4

For anyone who doesn't want to watch, there are alternate versions of Zelda 1 which were released for the Satellaview, and there are altered versions of them out there which people call Quests 3 and 4, as though they're continuations to the first two quests on Zelda 1. Neat! :P