PDA

View Full Version : Netflix fails.

LocoColt04
08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
I wasn't quite sure whether to toss this here or The Lounge, so feel free to shift it back and forth like a nervous kid on a school bus.

So, how often has Netflix decided to stab you in the back or step on your toes?
Opt not to play, without any rhyme or reason? (Maintenance is totally a reason!)
Suggest completely wacky things that you'd never dream of watching because of that one other thing you watched?

My proper PC with the appropriate date and time pulled DAILY from the internets to ensure accuracy, with my appropriate operating system and all legitimate components... apparently, this is not good enough to watch Netflix in my web browser the ONE TIME I want to do so!

Good thing I have six other devices to run the service from. What the hell, Netflix.

For the record, I rather love the service. :D

edit:
For what it's worth, here's what Netflix says about the error.
This error usually occurs when starting playback and typically means there's an issue with a temporary file used by the Silverlight application. There could be an issue with the file itself, or your computer might not have permission to access the file. If you’re experiencing error code N8156 6013, try the troubleshooting steps below.So the good news is that Silverlight found an issue within itself, uninstalled and reinstalled.

The bad (but somehow completely expected) news is that OH MICROSOFT I AM NOT SURPRISED

Shlup
08-04-2013, 11:06 PM
They took down the South Park movie, but it still shows up in our Recently Watched on the Netflix app on our TV, so we just play a few minutes once in a while to keep it on our Recently Watched list.

LocoColt04
08-04-2013, 11:08 PM
It still gives me the PC error even after reinstalling Silverlight. Go Microsoft products!

*turns to Smart TV*

Nicolas
08-04-2013, 11:28 PM
It still gives me the PC error even after reinstalling Silverlight. Go Microsoft products!

*turns to Smart TV*

You have to clear out Silverlight's cache, apparently. I had it the other week. Can't remember where it's at, honestly. Netflix will tell you though. I'm sure something like CCleaner would find it too.

EDIT: https://support.netflix.com/en/node/192 or this https://support.netflix.com/en/node/208
This may help.

Shorty
08-05-2013, 12:17 AM
I tried to watch Netflix at my previous place of employment and that damn screen would always pop up. :colbert:

Additionally, I was recently trying to watch Scrubs on my mom's wireless DVD player that has netflix and trout on it and I started from the very beginning of the series. It skipped from episode one to episode smurfing thirteen! I was inconsolable because I thought Netflix was stupid and just decided to not put up the missing twelve episodes, so I just went on watching as it was. I found out later it must have been a glitch or something, because they were all available from my PC and I had to go back and watch them. :doublecolbert:

Pike
08-05-2013, 12:17 AM
They took down the South Park movie, but it still shows up in our Recently Watched on the Netflix app on our TV, so we just play a few minutes once in a while to keep it on our Recently Watched list.

Bahahaha I love it.

Can't say I've had any issues with Netflix thus far. Sometimes it randomly shuts off subtitles when I start a new episode of some series I've been watching but that's not exactly a major deal.

Raistlin
08-05-2013, 01:17 AM

Holy crap, that works? I wish I'd have thought of that!

I actually haven't had any problems with Netflix.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-05-2013, 02:04 AM

Holy crap, that works? I wish I'd have thought of that!

I actually haven't had any problems with Netflix.

This did not work for me with Star Gate. Even though I had it in my queue, when they took Star Gate off, it also disappeared from my queue. :(

If a show stays in my queue, I'll have to try the trick.

~*~Celes~*~
08-05-2013, 03:46 AM
they haven't posted grey's anatomy season 9 yet, true blood isn't on there, and neither is Sailor Moon. /ragefist

CimminyCricket
08-05-2013, 04:10 AM
I was Netflix on the XBOX360 and we have a Kinect. Sometimes Netflix will react to something the Kinect hears coming from the episode and will rewind (and often catch us in a loop because it'll hear it again and again and again), or it will pause or just stop playing! It's obnoxious. Also, Jasmin and I were watching seasons 1-7 of Law and Order SVU and in the middle of season 4 they drop all those seasons and start with seasons 8-12. We couldn't believe it!

Relena Peacecraft
08-05-2013, 04:13 AM
In the three years I've been using it, I only remember Netflix outright failing to work once. I don't remember exactly what happened, so it must have been quite some time ago. That said, I still have plenty to gripe about.

Their streaming selection is actually pretty shoddy. They're decent on a bunch of TV series, but otherwise, I found that I had to get both DVD/Bluray and streaming to get the full experience.
The stream quality is all right, but not excellent. In terms of quality, I find the stream to be somewhere between DVD and Bluray. Even at their highest encoding level available to me, you can see some encoding artifacts, especially in dark scenes. I think they offer higher levels to people with ISPs who have installed their cache server, but Time Warner sure ain't one of them. Also, they don't offer surround sound in the PC application.
They don't really support Linux (and the wine solution has such a pathetic frame rate that it's not worth it), so I'm forced to use the Windows machine, which has the worse monitor.

But otherwise, I find that Netflix estimates my ratings of things fairly well. I'm probably just an easy mark, though, since I'm not very particular.

LocoColt04
08-05-2013, 04:41 AM

*turns to Smart TV*

You have to clear out Silverlight's cache, apparently. I had it the other week. Can't remember where it's at, honestly. Netflix will tell you though. I'm sure something like CCleaner would find it too.

EDIT: https://support.netflix.com/en/node/192 or this https://support.netflix.com/en/node/208
This may help.Ah, but I did those things while making the thread. Before my second post (which you quoted) I had already done each of those. D:

Aside from not being able to use it on the device originally designed to use Netflix Streaming, I haven't had any issues aside from inconveniently-timed maintenance and occasional service loss when the signal is weak from atrocious weather conditions.

drotato
08-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Well, considering I share mine with a bunch of other people, it tends to piss me off a lot. xD
If too many people try to stream online at the same time, it gets all "AHH NO STOP I CAN'T DO THIS I'M NOT READY TO LOSE MY VIRGINITY LIKE THIS." And proceeds to tell you to gtfo out over and over again. I hate the fuck out of it.

I have a love hate relationship with it, though. I love to use it to cure my boredom, but at the same time, I only use it for streaming and there are so many things that are not streaming on there, you have to ship them to your house and GAWD WHO REALLY WANTS TO DO THAT, it takes forever, and it's dumb.

So there's my beefy noodle soup with Nettyflixx.

Elite Lord Sigma
08-05-2013, 05:41 PM
The only issues I've had with Netflix so far are the Windows 8 app having errors a few times when I'm trying to watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and when they removed the aforementioned series when I was just starting to watch it. Fortunately, Netflix brought it back and finally got around to adding more episodes, but they still don't have the complete series yet.

Yerushalmi
08-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Netflix screws me over continuously by its refusal to exist in Israel.

Shoeberto
08-07-2013, 05:02 PM
I dislike seeing my dad's viewing history, which mostly involves movies he finds with risque names, watching in hopes that they have significant nudity in them.

Otherwise Netflix is great.

Denmark
08-07-2013, 05:02 PM
we have a Kinect

i think we found your problem

I just get annoyed by the thing that pops up and is like "YOU STILL WATCHING BRO" and i'm like "YES QUIT ASKING"

Psychotic
08-07-2013, 06:48 PM
British version has fuck all. Which is fine to an extent, Hola solves it, but it doesn't help if I want to watch on my 360.

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Un-BlockUS FTW! :D I can haz all the Netflix.

On topic, occasionally Netflix fails with a show, but that's about it.

Iceglow
08-07-2013, 10:29 PM
I work for the British equivalent of Netflix (the one what has been working for the past 10+ years in the UK, which is owned by Amazon these days) I get to troubleshoot problems like the one in the original post all day. I can fix that problem for you no issue, that is the primary stuff I do all day long.

Regarding the South Park Movie thing, it's funny if they've lost the license for that then in leaving it accessible through the recently played list then they're breaking copyright license law. xD