PDA

View Full Version : Spreadsheets

Relena Peacecraft
08-05-2013, 04:27 AM
In a valiant effort to nerdify this place even more than it may already be, let's talk spreadsheets! No, I'm not talking about some strange thing you do on your bed. I'm talking about things like OpenOffice/LibreOffice Calc, Microsoft Excel, or (maybe in 1992) Lotus 1-2-3.

Personally, I find that spreadsheets are an integral part of my life, and it'd be difficult to do without them. Even as I speak right now, I have six of them open, and that's probably lower than usual because I recently restarted LibreOffice Calc.

Most of mine are actually simple. I rarely need to do anything complicated with formulas, but I certainly do when whatever I'm doing calls for it.

Here's a sampling of some of the things I keep track of or calculate with my spreadsheets: Numerous personal financial things, cleaning schedules, TV series and movies, my weight (I've weighed myself almost every day for over four years), various trackers when playing games (like who has mastered each esper in FF6), automotive repairs and parts, my tire tread depth history, and a whole bunch of other things I have archived but am not using at the moment.

So, does anyone else completely go overboard in their use of spreadsheets?

CimminyCricket
08-05-2013, 04:33 AM
I use spreadsheets to correct BoB's refusal to alphabetize his #eoff stats.

Formalhaut
08-05-2013, 04:35 AM
BoB has probably came in his pants now at the very mention of this thread's existence.

Quindiana Jones
08-05-2013, 04:43 AM
I wish I used spreadsheets more often, but I'm just too lazy. :(

Pumpkin
08-05-2013, 05:01 AM
I use spreadsheets a lot

Jiro
08-05-2013, 05:10 AM
I love spreadsheets but I don't tend to use them as much as I would like. More of a Word guy, unfortunately.

Værn
08-05-2013, 11:28 AM
I use spreadsheets (OpenOffice) for things like =INT((RAND()*6)+1), =(SUM(A1: D1))-(MIN(A1: D1)), and =INT((E1-10)/2). (Had to add spaces to prevent smiles from disrupting my math.)
And if you know what those formulas are for, then you're probably a huge nerd :P

Rantz
08-05-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't use spreadsheets all that often. For the most part I prefer to use text documents for at least the more list-like things you mention in the first post. There's a Table Editor plugin for Sublime I'm trying out that seems to work okay for a nice and lightweight way to structure things into tables, too. I just find most spreadsheet editors too bulky to keep constantly open like that, so they only tend to get used when I need them for something my text editor can't do.

Loony BoB
08-05-2013, 12:33 PM
oh hi

Shlup
08-05-2013, 12:42 PM
The spreadsheet I made to keep track of my Etsy store's finances is nothing short of a work of art.

Loony BoB
08-05-2013, 12:43 PM
http://www.aiyon.com/keke/searchxls.png

Aulayna
08-05-2013, 12:44 PM
This thread makes me realise I haven't updated my budgetting spreadsheet in a few days... and now I'm itching to change it but can't for another few hours until it's my lunchbreak. Ahhh.

Parker
08-05-2013, 12:55 PM

i bet chris wishes he knew the secrets of dude_access.xls

haha get it its because he's gay and desperate

Mindflare
08-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Excel pixel art is cool, I guess?

Denmark
08-05-2013, 02:20 PM
fm12 fcum second attempt.xlsx

i use Excel spreadsheets rarely. I have no use for them at work (or any other spreadsheet program). I occasionally use Excel at home to track stuff in video games, but only when I have multiple lists and I'd like to see them side-by-side (example is collecting items in Metroid Prime).

most of the time for just notes, I use notepad++.

Sephex
08-05-2013, 02:55 PM
If anyone breathes I have to make a spreadsheet at work.

krissy
08-05-2013, 03:08 PM
i make so many vlookup things at work
ladeda
i like excel better than libreoffice though

Pike
08-05-2013, 04:48 PM

I just realized that this stops at O so there's STILL MORE

Loony BoB
08-05-2013, 05:34 PM

I just realized that this stops at O so there's STILL MORE
NOTE: Only includes .xls and .xlsx files in my "Libraries", so there are probably around 300 in total on my PC, if not more.

Shorty
08-05-2013, 05:36 PM
More of a Word guy, unfortunately.

This.

My documents folder looks similar to BoB's, only with notepad files.

noxious.sunshine
08-05-2013, 05:39 PM
I... Have witnessed BoB's love of spreadsheets...

I had no idea it was this bad.

BoB.. Do you have a problem? I'm here for you. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem...

Formalhaut
08-05-2013, 05:51 PM
I have no idea how to really use Excel. I am the worst​ with spreadsheets.

Loony BoB
08-05-2013, 06:13 PM

BoB.. Do you have a problem? I'm here for you. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem...
The steps to recovery are calculated and established using Excel.

noxious.sunshine
08-05-2013, 06:34 PM

The steps to recovery are calculated and established using Excel.

And you calculate this -how-?

Shorty
08-05-2013, 06:45 PM
There's a list of formulas you can input. That's probably how.

Relena Peacecraft
08-06-2013, 02:19 AM
For simple lists and notes, I have a text file that I keep open as a generic dumping ground. Also, I use a program designed explicitly for making short notes that I use to keep track of some things. I step up to spreadsheets when I need to do some kind of calculations or want to produce a chart. (Even the calculations are nothing more than a moving average or something else simple.)

Once I start needing to do anything more complicated, I tend to step up to scripts written in bash or Python or PHP or whatever else I find handy at the time, which results in my not having many very complicated spreadsheets.

rubah
08-06-2013, 03:54 AM
I wrote some VBA to generate reports for my old job. nothing like dumping 52 sheets to an array!

Right now, the only sheets I use are weight tracking and finances, but previous sheets include picking a place to live, choosing a doctor, planning to cook a large meal, keeping track of my vocabulary in secondary languages, making class schedules, doing homework~

Jiro
08-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Are you using the search function to bring those up Loony BoB? Or are you that kind of "organised mess" person, who has shit strewn anywhere with no logic. I like folders personally, and my numerous (though not nearly as impressive as yours) xls and xlsx - the extra x is for seXy - files are organised nicely.

LocoColt04
08-06-2013, 07:30 AM
He was searching for the filetype, hence why it was his libaries pulled up and not individual folders.

THOSE COULD BE ANYTHING FOR ANYTHING

Loony BoB
08-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Aye, if you look at the top left and top right then you'll see that I'm searching all my libraries, which covers every folder under My Documents etc. If you have to ask if I have more than one folder under My Documents, I don't think you know me well enough. However, some folders do have very large numbers of spreadsheets in them, particularly \Text Files\ and \Sites\EoFF\.

Faris
08-06-2013, 11:51 AM
I did while I was working as an office administrator. Had a spreadsheet for historical information, new information, I had started listing all our twitter followers, and made graphs! Now I don't do that and I am now more sane than ever.

Synoptikal
08-06-2013, 11:54 AM
I have spreadsheets to deal with the Fantasy hockey league I run on another forum. It's the easiest way to do it when you don't have a program to do it all for you.