PDA

View Full Version : Check Out the Scholar’s Fairy from Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Raistlin
08-05-2013, 04:18 PM

The Scholar is one of two job paths a player can choose to take the Arcanist class (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2614-new-arcanist-jobs-video-final-fantasy-xiv-e32013.html) in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/category/101-final-fantasy-xiv.html). You can see a variety of scholars pictured above, looking all ready for graduation. We’ve already seen screenshots of the Arcanist and its carbuncle pet (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2722-arcanist-s-pet-carbuncle-final-fantasy-xiv-cute-ever.html), as well as the Summoner job and its egis (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/2739-screenshots-summoner-pets-final-fantasy-xiv-realm-reborn.html). Now, the FFXIV dev team has provided us with screenshots of the Scholar and its pet fairy.

There are at least two different fairies: Eos and Selene.

The fairy Eos.

The fairy Selene. No, she’s not a vampire (presumably).

Two fairies ganging up on a poor Scholar.

Two Scholars watching their fairies chat.

It’s not confirmed yet what the difference between the two fairies will be, but they will presumably help in the Scholar’s support abilities. The Scholar, as you may recall, is a more healing- and support-focused job, as compared to the Arcanist and Summoner.

So what do you think of the fairies? Too much or too little like Tinkerbell? Who is planning to play as a Scholar once Final Fantasy XIV is released? Let us know in the comments!

[Source: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/522]

Jinx
08-05-2013, 07:27 PM
FAIRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES.

I hope that's not the endgame-wear for the Scholar, because it's ugly.

BUT FAIRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES.

LadyJuxtaposition
08-05-2013, 07:59 PM
I think the fairies are adorable, more beautiful and well less like Tinkerbell.

Ouch!
08-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Interesting to note: naming the fairies Eos and Selene implies the probability of the introduction of a third fairy at some point in the future. Eos is the goddess of the dawn. Selene is the goddess of the moon. I imagine that at some point we'll see Helios, the goddess of the sun.

Del Murder
08-06-2013, 12:38 AM
They look pretty, but I don't really care about them. Nice detail, though.

Rostum
08-06-2013, 05:04 AM
Sweet, looking good!

Loony BoB
08-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Danielle is already excited about Scholar but I don't think she knows about the fairies yet. She is going to explode with happiness when she gets one, I'm sure of it. xD

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Interesting to note: naming the fairies Eos and Selene implies the probability of the introduction of a third fairy at some point in the future. Eos is the goddess of the dawn. Selene is the goddess of the moon. I imagine that at some point we'll see Helios, the goddess of the sun.

Not that gender-bending dieties is beyond the Japanese (see Sailor Moon and Artemis), but Helios is a god, not a goddess. Though again, they could just gender-bend, or try to make a more masculine looking fairy.

And yes, I am a bitch to watch Disney's Hercules with.

I wonder which fairy is the healer and which is the support? I kinda assume Eos would be the healer since her colouring resembles that of a Cure spell more, but that is pure speculation. :D

Del Murder
08-06-2013, 07:28 PM
It would have been cooler if one was a fairy and one was an imp.

Ouch!
08-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Right on Helios being a god. Either way, who says fairies can't be male? Oberon says hello.

comma
08-07-2013, 03:49 AM
Scholar is a cool class in concept, but it just looks so dumb. The outfits are Harry Potter, and the faeries are totally Disney.

08-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Right on Helios being a god. Either way, who says fairies can't be male? Oberon says hello.

Touché.

Rostum
08-07-2013, 01:40 PM
...but it just looks so dumb. The outfits are Harry Potter, and the faeries are totally Disney.

You're saying this on a nerd forum where quite a lot of people like Harry Potter and Disney.

comma
08-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Ah, so I will clarify that I hate Harry Potter and that Disney is for kids, so I dislike the way Scholars look.

08-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Ah, so I will clarify that I hate Harry Potter and that Disney is for kids

You sir have no soul.

Mirage
08-08-2013, 09:10 AM
I'm 28 and Disney is for me. Fuck off, everyone who disagrees.

Jinx
08-08-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm 28 and Disney is for me. smurf off, everyone who disagrees.

I am 22, and I second this motion.

comma
08-08-2013, 11:53 PM
You guys will enjoy your faeries. I will not. I may even leave the area if I even see a faerie. Or maybe quit the game.

Mirage
08-09-2013, 12:04 AM
With that attitude, you won't be missed. :doublecolbert:

comma
08-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Nobody will miss me because I'm going to steer clear of the faeries before they even see me.

I'd also like to say I'm disappointed with the scholar job in general. Why is it a summon/beastmaster job in the first place? It would have been nice if they introduced some elements that have something, anything, to do with being a scholar. It seems like they tried to jam it into this summoning category that it just doesn't fit into. I don't get it. Oh well.

Rostum
08-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Someone needs a bit more reflection into self-awareness.

Loony BoB
08-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Nobody will miss me because I'm going to steer clear of the faeries before they even see me.
Does anyone know if you can summon pets in the cities yet? Because if you can, you're going to have a hard time with this game. xD

comma
08-15-2013, 12:17 AM
That's okay. I like a good challenge.