PDA

View Full Version : Trading Card Games

Synoptikal
08-06-2013, 08:24 AM
(Really didn't know where to post this...but I figured here?)

Any other players of TCGs here?

My current main game is Vanguard, but I also passively play Yu-Gi-Oh (as in, I have a deck but don't buy any more cards). I also have the Online Pokémon TCG client. I have interest in playing Magic, but I don't really have the money to buy cards for another game. ^^

Mercen-X
08-06-2013, 08:48 AM
I have one deck of YGO cards. I tried to divide the deck and play with my parents once. I've never bothered since. Although I don't play and don't collect, I can't bring myself to get rid of them.

Synoptikal
08-06-2013, 08:56 AM
I'm not so big on YGO at the moment because of all the changes they've made in the game. I have no love for Synchro monsters or Xyz monsters. I always duel old school rules.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-06-2013, 06:24 PM
I have a deck of Yugioh cards that I'm pretty sure are mostly banned now. They weren't when I made it, though. It also is demolished pretty quickly with a well made deck of current cards. My friend who is still obsessed with the game looked at my cards and pretty much told me what I had was crap, but I remember losing very few games with it as a kid when I played in a Yugioh league they had in a Toys-R-us every Saturday. I don't remember what my strategy was though.

My favorite TCG is probably Redemption. The quick description is that it's like a Christian Magic the Gathering game, but that doesn't really do it justice. Aside from Magic, I believe it's the longest running TCG. While the cards are all based on biblical characters and things, the creator wasn't wanting to make a "Christian alternative" to Magic. He had no issue with Magic; he just wanted to create his own card game. In the end, I think it has the better gameplay. Another cool thing is that the cards all go through very extensive play testing, and its very rare for a broken card to come out. If one does, they weaken the card's effect, they don't ban it. There are no banned Redemption cards.

Mercen-X
08-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Tch. Banned cards are a gimmick. Kids will still keep them just to say they have them and they'll use them in "illegal" matches or whatever. The truth is, without having the authority to confiscate a banned card from a holder, no TCG can actually really ban a card. It's the stupidest thing they ever claimed.

Denmark
08-06-2013, 07:25 PM
I played Magic for a little while back in 2009-2011 (end of Alara block, Zendikar block, Scars of Mirrodin) and paid attention to the game for a little while after that. I really like playing, but I don't think I have the skill to get very good at the game and don't feel like amassing a huge collection of cards and building decks. Also the only place for me to really play these days would be to go to a store for Friday Night Magic, and I have other things I prefer to spend my weekends doing. So while the game interests me still, I haven't kept up with it and don't really see myself getting back into it.

and Mercen-X, all it means when a card is "banned" is that it's not allowed to be used in sanctioned competition. The MTG cops aren't gonna come take away your Black Lotuses.

Lonely Paper Star
08-06-2013, 07:47 PM
I played the Pokemon TCG when it first got popular. After that, I played Magic for a few years. I still have my main Magic deck, but it's not standardized at all.

I never got into Yu-Gi-Oh, though. I also tried out a couple other TCGs like that LOTR and the Digimon ones--because those were two things I liked--but the gameplay for both were meh.

Mercen-X
08-06-2013, 09:23 PM
I did play an online TCG "Sword Girls" for about 40 minutes. I completed a "tournament" to unlock some kind of low-level beast card and then stopped playing. I also played YGO Duelist of the Roses on PlayStation. It was...

Depression Moon
08-06-2013, 10:52 PM
I play Yugioh right now, at least online. I posted a whole FF collection of cards I created on here, though almost all of those are old now and they've been updated in my ccg.

I run a custom card yugioh game on the Dueling Network forums and have a fair amount of members there. I like it better than the standard yugioh because I grow tired of no support of old archetypes and am not fond of the overly powered decks like Elemental Dragons.

Pike
08-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Pokemon TCG is really the only one I ever got into. I did play a LOT of Pokemon though.

Synoptikal
08-07-2013, 07:24 AM
I grow tired of no support of old archetypes and am not fond of the overly powered decks like Elemental Dragons.

Amen! I run Empty Jar OTK, only in this day and age it's more like Empty Jar GKBSM (Get Killed By Synchro Monsters).

NeoCracker
08-07-2013, 06:55 PM
First one I played was Magic the Gathering, and it's among the best I've played. I loved me a good forest Deck.

Yu-Gi-Oh was a bit less strategic then the others, but was good for some mindless fun with a bunch of friends going all over the top like in the show. :p

Pokemon was meh.

Then there was the DBZ one which was unbalanced as all hell, but fun for a few games. Glad I never paid for any cards though. :p

Then there was UCF, which was a game with characters from all sorts of fighting games like Street Fighter, Tekken and Soul Calibur. Mechanically it was probably the best one I'd ever played, bar none. But dear god did they fuck up with some horribly unbalanced cards. Not sure how it is now, but it was bad enough that if you didn't have one of a few different cards, there was no point in playing as you'd get your ass handed to you.

Haven't played any in a few years, but there is my experience. :p

Araciel
08-08-2013, 03:24 AM
Magic

There are no others

Sentinels of the Multiverse - a co-operative superhero themed static deck game - get it.

Flaming Ice
08-08-2013, 04:12 AM
I have quite a few yugioh cards but no one to play with :(

They keep screwing things up though, usually (it seems) their answer to unbalanced cards are more unbalanced cards or specific cards that don't always work in certain decks.

All the mass destruction cards, and negation cards seemed to have ruined any fun factor though. (sometimes there are ways around it with unexpected cards)

Mahad
08-08-2013, 05:16 AM
I used to play a lot when in my highschool years, YGO and MTG. I have a handful of YGO cards, and a good deal of my MTG collection, although it's ages old by now and packed with dust. MTG is just one of the best games I have ever played. Personally buying paper cards is a waste to me, because the prices can be ridiculous and then you end up with a ton of cards and no space to store them, this is one of the reasons I stopped buying. I have thought about playing online, but I just don't have the time or money to get into it. I have many good memories of both games (like I once won a game against five friends in one turn using Elves, it was great), and I don't rule out the possibility of playing either game again occasionally.

Synoptikal
08-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Magic

There are no others

I have actually noticed a hierarchy within my local card shop. It goes Magic > YGO > Vanguard/Pokémon

The Magic players look down on the YGO players, wondering why the YGO players don't play Magic.

The YGO players look down on the Vanguard and Pokémon players, wondering why they don't play YGO.

The Vanguard/Pokémon players look at the other games and wonder why they don't play their game.

Mercen-X
08-08-2013, 06:39 AM
Funny... I look down on all of them and wonder why they don't just play Solitaire. :smug:

Pike
08-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Most of the people I know who play Magic also play YGO and vice versa.

I never did get into YGO because I was too old for it. I mean seriously I was like 19 when it showed up and I just had no interest in the show and, by extension, the card game.

Magic was a big deal when I was in elementary school and I had a ton of schoolmates who played it but none of them could ever explain the rules to me without confusing me quite a bit so I just never learned :p

Denmark
08-08-2013, 02:26 PM
here ya go, have fun (https://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=magic/rules)

magic is definitely a game you have to learn by playing, and learn from someone who knows what's going on and will help you learn (which, from my experience, is most veteran players). that trout's complex and it's only gotten more complex as the game has progressed.

which is why it's so damn good

Vćrn
08-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Magic was a big deal when I was in elementary school and I had a ton of schoolmates who played it but none of them could ever explain the rules to me without confusing me quite a bit so I just never learned :p

Magic's not that hard to play. Check out the rules for yourself if you want (http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/magiccomprules_20120701.pdf). It couldn't be easier to learn!

Dang it, Denmark beat me to it while I was distracted by #eoff :mad2:

Red Mage Coffman
08-08-2013, 06:09 PM
I STILL play YGO, even in High School.

Wow. And THAT'S the root of all my problems, I bet. Damn.

Pike
08-08-2013, 06:41 PM
I STILL play YGO, even in High School.

Wow. And THAT'S the root of all my problems, I bet. Damn.

I have 30 year old coworkers who obsess over Yu-Gi-Oh on a daily basis. Don't worry.

Araciel
08-08-2013, 07:02 PM
To learn magic, just download a demo of one of the games on psn/xbox.

Denmark
08-08-2013, 07:47 PM

Magic's not that hard to play. Check out the rules for yourself if you want (http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/magiccomprules_20120701.pdf). It couldn't be easier to learn!

Dang it, Denmark beat me to it while I was distracted by #eoff :mad2:

nah, you did better by ONLY linking to the comprehensive rules. i linked to the official rules page which has the "basic rulebook" aka "rules for casuals"

Agent Proto
08-08-2013, 09:12 PM
I could never get into trading card games. I've tried a few times, but I had to use another person's deck. I couldn't really get into them. If I had a deck myself and learned how to play properly, I might really enjoy these kind of games. Sadly that wasn't the case. :(

Depression Moon
08-09-2013, 01:03 AM
Well you have online to play them nowadays. So you could do that. If you happen to choose Yugioh you can use Dueling Network and I could teach you the game.

Synoptikal
08-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Yeah. There's Dueling Network for learning Yugi. Planeswalker for Magic. And there's Cray Online, an Apprentice style client for Vanguard. :)