PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Inspired Recipes!

noxious.sunshine
08-06-2013, 04:42 PM
I came across this:

Final Fantasy Recipes | An overview of Final Fantasy cuisine, from Midgar to Ivalice | Page 4 (http://ffrecipes.wordpress.com/page/4/)

and there are lots and they all seem super yummy!

Although some of them seem a little off-base for the location given in the title.. Like "Wakka Fried Rice" - I would imagine anything involving Wakka would involve more Hawaiian/Tropical or even Caribbean flavors - pineapples, coconuts, black beans, lots of fish, etc.

Chris
08-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Unlike the drinks, this seems a little lame to me.

They just took a bunch of ingredients, and then named the dish inspired by something from the FF series. :|

noxious.sunshine
08-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah. I can see that, actually.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-22-2013, 06:56 PM
This is a good thread to remind everyone of the Final Fantasy inspired drinks at:

The Drunken Moogle (http://www.thedrunkenmoogle.com)

Here are some Final Fantasy foods that caught my eye. No recipes here but I think they look good. Even the Photoshopped candy.

noxious.sunshine
10-22-2013, 11:54 PM
lol I posted about the Drunken Moogle awhile ago! heheehe I wanna try some of them...

FFRecipes
10-23-2013, 07:20 AM
Hi! That's my blog and all the recipes are inspired by their FF settings... the Wakka Fried Rice recipe is actually based on a Hawaiian recipe and does include pineapple. My FFX recipes are all Asian/island-based cuisine. I'm happy to explain the origins of any of my recipes, I don't ever randomly link a recipe with a FF name... they're all deeply planned out, really ;)

Quindiana Jones
10-23-2013, 07:44 AM
I'm not really sure what you guys were expecting from FF inspired recipes. "This Cloud Meatball dish is extremely sullen and confused, and it can also use Omnislash". Interpreting the characteristics of someone and translating that into a flavour is literally the definition of "x-inspired food". There are a lot of important differences between video game characters and things we eat - even BoB couldn't confuse the two - and I imagine they're quite difficult to reconcile.

noxious.sunshine
10-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Hi! That's my blog and all the recipes are inspired by their FF settings... the Wakka Fried Rice recipe is actually based on a Hawaiian recipe and does include pineapple. My FFX recipes are all Asian/island-based cuisine. I'm happy to explain the origins of any of my recipes, I don't ever randomly link a recipe with a FF name... they're all deeply planned out, really ;)

Shut the front door.

lol

I can't believe you found us! *giggles* Stick around, go introduce yourself in Wonder Square and make yourself a regular here!

I was meaning to send you a recipe actually, but then I forgot. -_-;

We love cooking here in this subforum..Or well.. -SOME- of us do, anyway. Mostly we talk about things we love and things we hate and things we've tried and things you couldn't pay us to try, but whatevery. It's all here. We've got the cookbook up top (It's Formaldehy- uh. FormalHaut's thing, but he's busy), too..

FFRecipes
10-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Haha, I did google myself last night and when I saw your post I thought "Oh I have to explain about Wakka!" because I put lots of thought into Spira. Where, say, FFVII is futuristic and multicultural, Spira is conservative and insular, so I stuck closely to traditional Southeast Asian recipes -- like, in FFVII you could probably walk into a bar and order burgers, but in FFX you'd order noodles, yeah?

So, I have Kilika kind of mapped to Thailand with Kilika Green Curry Shrimp and Kilika Grilled Shrimp with Soba Noodles (http://ffrecipes.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/kilika-grilled-shrimp-with-soba-noodles/) (which OMG is so good, I really recommend that one, it's a little labor-intensive but totally worth it). The Besaid recipes are inspired by the cuisine of the Pacific Islands (Besaid Smoked Duck is based on a famous Indonesian recipe).

I read an interview with the art director who said that Zanarkand was modeled after the Uzbek city of Samarkand. I have a friend who's Uzbek and she gave me a traditional Uzbek recipe that I used to create Zanarkand Lamb Pilaf.

And then the Al Bhed, because of their name and their desert homeland, I linked to Persia and came up with Al Bhed Pomegranate Soup, which is very similar to something they serve at my favorite Persian restaurant.

Anyway, sorry for the tl;dr, and thanks for the warm welcome! I've come by here before on random web searches and never gotten around to registering, glad I finally did :) And do send me a recipe sometime! I love guest posts.

noxious.sunshine
10-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Hmmm. I think I see VII as more like deconstructed / low budget type stuff, tbh. Especially if it's Midgar-based. Like in Oklahoma, there's a joint that makes really thin hamburgers filled with sliced onion because the originator had to stretch out his ground beef as much as possible - served on toast. Or what they call kitchen-sink style soups/pizzas. Pizza. Rotting Pizza. See what I did there? Lol

FFRecipes
10-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Ha. Well, we definitely know they eat Korean B.B.Q. (http://ffrecipes.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/wall-market-korean-bbq/)! ;)

noxious.sunshine
10-24-2013, 07:03 AM
Oh yeah they do!! XD

Freya
10-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Whoa someone found us from linkage? That's awesome!

I get it. They are based of the cultural aspects of characters. How is that lame? Makes sense to me.

I'll have to try some of these recipes. I love cooking and these add my nerdism to it so it works.