PDA

View Full Version : The true nature of Gogo.

Spooniest
08-10-2013, 05:21 AM
I know I just said that Gogo is meant to be a non-sequitur. (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vi/151696-physics-world-ruin.html#post3301669)

But it got me thinking; what purpose does Gogo serve in the story? What is he?

He's a mime. He dresses in green and red and yellow...but he's totally self-effacing, not a hint of ego or passion about him. Nonchalant.

Is Gogo the antithesis of Kefka?

That got me started thinking, "What if when Kefka absorbed the Triad's power, the last remaining vestige of his humanity was separated from him somehow, became self-aware, but without any of Kefka's experience memory?"

Gogo.

Why does he wind up on Triangle Island?

Triangle Island is a locus of power for the Triad in the Human World.

You fight Intangirs there, which are not only tough as balls and cast Meteo, but they give 10 Magic Points when you beat them.

Unfortunately, the Zone Eaters were unearthed in the collapse, so when Gogo materialized on Triangle Island, he eventually ran into one. With no one to Mimic, he was sucked into the Zone Eater.

How did he get to the bottom without being assraped?

...Some things are just Gameplay and Story Segregation.

KentaRawr!
08-10-2013, 05:56 AM
I just look at him as a cameo from FF5. :kakapo:

Jiro
08-10-2013, 06:11 AM
That... is an excellent theory. There are some great connections, and even though the fact that Gogo is a cameo from FFV dilutes that somewhat, there's no reason there can't be depth or layers.

Spooniest
08-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Oh, and another thing is:

All the Intangirs are extinct now. The WoR monsters wiped them out.

You're welcome for the nightmares!

Edit: WELL...I guess the remaining few are running around the Veldt.

Gameplay :shoot: Story

Spooniest
08-10-2013, 10:19 PM
There are some great connections, and even though the fact that Gogo is a cameo from FFV dilutes that somewhat...

Different dimensions are of no consequence to the power of the Triad.

Quindiana Jones
08-12-2013, 01:33 PM
I enjoy this idea. Henceforth, this shall be my assumption through every playthrough.

Denmark
08-12-2013, 02:14 PM
I thought it was globally accepted that Gogo is Adlai Stevenson???

Spooniest
08-12-2013, 02:58 PM
To be fair, with as cockamamie a theory as this, it's certainly possible that he is.

But that brings me back to the original theory, that Gogo is just a non-sequitur.

Adlai Stevenson's quote could have come up when they were researching surrealism, or something.

This is the quote, btw:

"I am always amazed by the resistance offered to progress, even the most inocous progress. Imagine, if you will, jumping from one rickety bridge to another, with blind men running back and forth trying to push you off, and you will have some idea what legislating progress is like. The good news is that if you're pushed off, you can always climb back up and try again."

The Man
08-12-2013, 03:02 PM
I thought it was globally accepted that Gogo is Adlai Stevenson???

I have tried, over the months, to convince you people to stop arguing over who Gogo is. Accept the fact that his true identity is Adlai Stevenson, former governor of Illinois and failed Democratic presidential candidate in 1952 and 1956. Here is ALL the proof, and if you need more, you're sick.

Quote #1
I am always amazed by the resistance offered to progress, even the most inocous progress. Imagine, if you will, jumping from one rickety bridge to another, with blind men running back and forth trying to push you off, and you will have some idea what legislating progress is like. The good news is that if you're pushed off, you can always climb back up and try again.
- from his book What I Think

Quote #2
I suppose I could wear a hat, but then my teeth would fall out to spite me. I could get false ones, but doubtless then I would get fat just to prove my teeth work. The easiest course is to drape my whole body in robes and shawls and hope no one recognizes my eyes.
- Commenting about his baldness to an NBC reporter in 1952.

Quote #3
President Eisenhower continues to amaze me. He appears to be an ungainly and graceless man, but when [senator Robert] Taft makes a move, no matter how ridiculous, Eisenhower copies it with the skill of [French mime] Marcel Merceau. I haven't achieved such levels of mimicry with my own party, but I'm working on it.
- 1952 interview

Quote #4
The legislature is a frightening thing. To this day the state capitol building seems to me a beast ready to swallow me up; the very walls and ceilings seem to crush you as you walk through it.
- from his book Friends and Enemies

Quote #5
Today we are plunged into a battle that is familliar to us. The enemies and the problems are the same. But the terrain is different. The world around us has changed and shifted so much we no longer recognize it.
- Giving a speech at Charlottesville, 1960

Experience Egg
Stevenson's ex-wife once wrote a book about him called The Egghead and I. In 1952, one of his campaign slogans was "Stevenson - The Experienced Candidate."

When you first meet Gogo, he says "I have been idle for too long," possibly referring to the fact that Stevenson had been dead for 30 years when FF6 came out.

A number of years ago a bill was passed regarding the transfer of funds among government-owned, government-operated (GOGO) laboratories. What was the name of this bill? The STEVENSON-Wydler Act, of course.

NOW are you convinced?

You're welcome.

But yeah, I like this theory too.

Spooniest
08-12-2013, 03:14 PM
There is only one answer.

Kefka peered into every dimension on the quantum spectrum, and left a piece of himself in all of them.

Adlai Stevenson is not only Gogo, but Kefka as well.

Dun dun duuuuuun

Chris
08-13-2013, 11:21 AM
For some reason, I've always had the idea that Gogo was a woman. Where the hell did I get this impression from?

Spooniest
08-13-2013, 11:23 AM
"Draped in strange clothing... is this a man...? A woman...? Or should we ask?"

It's Gogo's intro text from the Woolsey.

Jiro
08-13-2013, 11:55 AM
I've never actually seen the Adlai Stevenson argument before but holy crap that is awesome

MJN SEIFER
08-13-2013, 06:14 PM
"Draped in strange clothing... is this a man...? A woman...? Or should we ask?"

It's Gogo's intro text from the Woolsey. I remember that someone "proved" Gogo was male by showing that he couldn't equip female armor, I don't know what the response was to that.

Spooniest
08-13-2013, 06:28 PM
I just thought I'd try this and see everyone's reaction, and I figured there was no better place to do it.

Araciel
08-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Gogo is.

Jiro
08-16-2013, 12:47 AM
http://www.picturenose.com/wp-content/uploads/Neo_Whoa.jpg