PDA

View Full Version : Possessions you wouldn't give up

Shorty
08-13-2013, 03:43 AM
Let's not include obvious things everyone would name like laptops, pcs, phones, etc (unless they hold specific special meaning to you). Try and think about possessions that are personal and unique to you that you would not give up.

My "special box" filled with notes, cares, movie stubs, concert tickets, pictures and an array of miscellaneous throughout my life that . Full of sentiments and memories that I would be absolutely devastated to part with.
My hand-painted porcelain carousel horse. Given to me in my grandmother's passing. That damn horse sat in her curio cabinet my entire life and I always wanted it. Even though I acquired it under less-than-desirable circumstances, I love it.
My 6x4 foot By The Way Chili Peppers tour poster. Got the thing for $20 on eBay about eight years ago and somehow, by the grace of god, it's still mostly in one piece. It's pretty damn sad, though. Lots of rips and tears, the corners are coming apart and it's crinkled all to hell. Don't care. I won't part with it.
-My pop-up Alice in Wonderland book. It will stay behind locked glass and my children will not get to play with it.
My copy of Invisible Monsters, signed by Chuck Palahniuk. I always give away my favorite books to others who show interest in reading them because I want them to read them. I gave away my original copies of Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead years ago, and this is the next best book that I love and I absolutely would not give it up.

There are probably more things, but these are the ones that popped into my head right away.

Pheesh
08-13-2013, 03:54 AM
My musical instruments and the box with every concert ticket from every concert I've been to (except one, never going to forgive Mum for that -_-).

But honestly, why would I give up any of my possessions unless I was being robbed or something?

Shorty
08-13-2013, 03:57 AM
It's a hypothetical situation in which you are being forced to give up possessions, Philip :colbert:

Formalhaut
08-13-2013, 04:06 AM
Hmm... tough. Of the top of my head right now, I suppose my teddy bears. Right I know this is going to sound silly at my age and gender, but I've kept literally every teddy bear I've ever owned. I cannot bring to dump them, so they inhabit either my bed, or in locations around my room.

I'll probably take a picture of them tomorrow so I can show you. I really really care about them. One time, my mum (this was when I was 15) insisted that I send some, some of my teddy bears into the loft. I flatly refused. She even held the black bin liner in her hand, and I refused unequivocally. She gave up, and has never asked me again.

I imagine when I go to university, something will have to give. :(

qwertysaur
08-13-2013, 04:23 AM
My books.

Jiro
08-13-2013, 04:46 AM
No, you can't have my shit, I'm a hoarder :colbert:

Flaming Ice
08-13-2013, 05:05 AM
No, you can't have my trout, I'm a hoarder :colbert:

Trout hoarder?

I wouldn't give up my books...my collection of fire starters is growing .......my house will be a library!

noxious.sunshine
08-13-2013, 05:07 AM
- My Maternal Grandmother's Vase. According to my Dad, it was already like 100 years old when it was given to him and my mom. It's ugly, but it's an old heirloom. I'd love to get it appraised someday.
- My Paternal Grandmother's China Set. It isn't worth anything - back in the day, the grocery store she went to would have these promotions.. Spend so much money, add on to the china collection for free. My Gigi Maw would drag my mom every time they'd advertise a new part of it
- My Doll House & Teddy Bear. My dad built my dollhouse by hand and it's a damn good piece of work. He spent like 6 months making it. He bought me my teddy bear when I was 2 and had to have my 2 front teeth pulled. If I go anywhere overnight, my Teddy goes with me. It with lots of reluctance that I let Parker sleep with it at night.
- A Couple of Letters and Pictures from my Ex (in Phoenix). There's absolutely no reason for me to have kept these, but I can't bring myself to throw them out. I guess because I destroyed everything else that documented our relationship - photos, a couple of dried flowers, the rest of the letters he sent me from jail.. I guess because without them, none of what happened would feel as real to me I guess.. It already seems like a really bad dream as it is.

I'm sure there's more - my gold Seiko Mickey Mouse alarm clock that's now worth a grip of money, my dog's headstone, Parker's old swaddling blankets, my X Japan poster, a blanket of mine, etc.

qwertysaur
08-13-2013, 05:07 AM
Trout hoarder?

he has an advanced case.

Flaming Ice
08-13-2013, 05:10 AM
Trout hoarder?

he has an advanced case.

Better have some freezer room or that'd be smelly :|

The Man
08-13-2013, 05:14 AM
Most of my LP collection, especially the box sets (maudlin of the Well and Strapping Young Lad in particular; those are pretty much flawless boxes). There are a few I'm planning to hawk for cash when the price is right, but only because they're limited coloured LPs that will fetch some asinine prices while the black versions are still available. (Avifauna is already going for something like $70 on Discogs despite the fact that the black version is still available for roughly $25).

Spooniest
08-13-2013, 07:10 AM
...There aren't any for me.

Depressing.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-13-2013, 07:25 AM
As silly as this one is, my copy of Final Fantasy VIII. It holds a lot of sentimental value just in the memories of watching my brother play it. It was how we seemed to bond for a little bit. Memories surrounding that game are some of the things that helped shape who I am today. Sort of tied with that would be my copy of the VIII soundtrack signed by Nobuo.

My books. I am way too attached to all of my books.

My VHS tapes of Flight of Dragons and Balto. They were my childhood.

My stuffed raccoon. I think it actually looks pretty silly, but it was given to me as a kid by my Uncle Buck just before he passed away because I was obsessed with it when I would visit him in the nursing home.

Synoptikal
08-13-2013, 07:28 AM
My three rings. I stole them from the Elves - Immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. I wear three rings. My wedding ring (obviously) is on my left hand. The two on my right hand are also special. The first is a band with yellow gold and white gold spiraling around it. My mum got me it after her mother passed away. I wear it to remind me of her and the brother I lost when I wasn't even born. The second ring is my dad's mother's wedding ring. I was given it by my dad when she passed away.

My thimble collection. I know it sounds weird that I even have one of these but I inherited it from my gran (again, my dad's mum) when she passed away. I was one of the driving forces of the collection while my gran still had it. I would make my parents buy a thimble for her on every holiday we went on. When she passed, that collection came to me and I am carrying it on.

Less sentimental possessions are my iPod because I will NOT lose my music collection. My trading cards because I've spent too much money on that collection to just let it go up. And a couple of my favourite t-shirts. Some of my t-shirts are limited print promotional t-shirts from back when I worked in Gamestation. Some others are limited print from limited print websites.

I'd be fine to lose everything else though.

The Man
08-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Ah yes, my iPod is another thing I won't want to lose. For that matter a lot of my books as well, although I've grown less sentimental about those since realising how easy it is to find ebooks online. *cough* Many of them still have sentimental value to me, though, like most of my Discworld books, larger numbers of which I bought over in Scotland. Not getting rid of any of those.

TrollHunter
08-13-2013, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure if I have any sentimental pieces in my life really.
I'm trying to think of some... but nothing comes to mind.

I don't see that as a bad thing though, so I'm hardly depressed. :roll2

Night Fury
08-13-2013, 10:23 AM
My Pandora bracelet, the watch I got from my Mum for my 21st Birthday and then the letter and card Jane sent me, I keep it because I can't have another one now and she wrote such good advice, so every time I look at it it just helps me so much.

Pike
08-13-2013, 10:35 AM
In all honesty the only thing I'm terrified of losing is all of my writing so... I guess my computer's hard drive? :p Although even then I back everything up to Dropbox on a fairly regular basis so something would have to happen to them as well.

Hmm, I dunno. Wait: my game collection. <3

Synoptikal
08-13-2013, 10:40 AM
In all honesty the only thing I'm terrified of losing is all of my writing so... I guess my computer's hard drive? :p Although even then I back everything up to Dropbox on a fairly regular basis so something would have to happen to them as well.

I'm a bit more paranoid with my writing. :P I have my novel backed up on three laptops, two external hard drives, Dropbox and Google Drive. :P

Rantz
08-13-2013, 11:42 AM
My collection of virgin blood.

Jinx
08-13-2013, 01:19 PM
I have emotional connections to several items I own. A lot of them have memories. But there's nothing that I would feel too particularly heartbroken about losing. Possessions are just that--possessions. While things my hold value to me, in the the end they're just things and can't make you happy. Even if they bring back memories, they don't replace those memories either.

The thing that would probably make me saddest to lose, however, would be my journals. While I've sort of slacked in the last year and a half, I've kept a journal since I was 12 years old. It documents so much of my life. I have a hard time reading them either from embarrassment or bad memories, but it's comforting to know they're there.

Denmark
08-13-2013, 01:27 PM
My life.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-13-2013, 04:45 PM
There's pictures of Michael that I've become rather fond of, so I'd part with those last before anything else. Obviously shion is rather fond of them too. :p

Obviously the next thing is my car. I've put a lot of time and personalization into it. It's not worth much more than the average car of that type to anyone else, but I've had it for 14-15 years at least.

Araciel
08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Your SOUL

Cuchulainn
08-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Nuttin. I'd be annoyed at losing a few but there's nothing I'd NEVER give. They're only things, you can always buy new things.

I've also never placed sentimental value on objects. That's the first sign of hoarding. Good memories are in your head fighting constantly with the bad ones. That's where they all live and where you'll find them all. Not in a cinema stub or bracelet or used condom.

Pike
08-13-2013, 07:34 PM

I'm a bit more paranoid with my writing. :P I have my novel backed up on three laptops, two external hard drives, Dropbox and Google Drive. :P

With me, there are plenty of drafts of mine floating around in people's emails and for the stuff I've already published, well, I've got hard copies of that! It would really take something pretty major to wipe out most of my work.

Spooniest
08-14-2013, 02:22 AM
Wesleycat.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-14-2013, 03:03 AM

I need to start saving stuff to Dropbox or something of the like. I trust my hard drive way too much. I actually had a scare recently where I thought I lost a horror short story I had written for a contest between some college friends that I've been wanting to go back and do more with. I found it was on my now dead old laptop... Luckily, I found it in my email mixed between where all of my academic writing was kept.

So, I'll add my computer's hard drive and writing.

fire_of_avalon
08-14-2013, 03:31 AM
I've also never placed sentimental value on objects. That's the first sign of hoarding. Good memories are in your head fighting constantly with the bad ones. That's where they all live and where you'll find them all. Not in a cinema stub or bracelet or used condom.

While this is true, there's something that makes a memory much more vivid when you're interacting with an object that to which a sentimentality or memory has been attached. I inherited my great grandmother's wedding rings when she died 10 years ago. I had never seen them before in my life beforehand because she'd gone long past the age of being comfortable enough to wear them.

Even so I know how important they were to her. She and my great-grandfather had the only stable, loving relationship I've actually ever witnessed and those rings symbolize that for me. Also photos of their 50th wedding anniversary, which happened before I was born. You can just tell that they not only loved each other, but that they worked hard to make a life together. I wear those rings on a fairly sturdy chain and it gives me comfort. I know that's in my head, but the object enhances the feeling.

Flaming Ice
08-14-2013, 04:47 AM
My collection of virgin blood.

So they aren't virgins anymore :greenie:

Shiny
08-14-2013, 05:46 AM
My photo albums. I am sentimental and it helps me remember when I look back fondly on whatever memories the particular picture holds. Also personal cards and letters, or emails people wrote me.

Mirage
08-14-2013, 05:00 PM
I can't really think of anything... I might not get emotionally attached to nonliving things like that.

Yerushalmi
08-15-2013, 05:49 AM
My wife and children.

...There aren't any for me.

Depressing.

I can't really think of anything... I might not get emotionally attached to nonliving things like that.

Spooniest, you should take a page from Mirage's book. In my opinion, not getting emotionally attached to inanimate objects is a good thing.

Quindiana Jones
08-15-2013, 06:36 AM
I was going to say my wife for the hilarious gender inequality joke attached to it (hilarious :stare:), but Yeru beat me to it.

Yerushalmi
08-15-2013, 07:16 AM
I was going to say my wife for the hilarious gender inequality joke attached to it (hilarious :stare:), but Yeru beat me to it.

I don't see any gender inequality involved in that statement. I have no problem saying I'm my wife's possession as well.

Quindiana Jones
08-15-2013, 07:22 AM
I meant that my post would be using a medieval perspective whereas yours was using a romantic one. Despite the difference in meaning, you still beat me to it. :(

Yerushalmi
08-15-2013, 07:25 AM
I meant that my post would be using a medieval perspective whereas yours was using a romantic one. Despite the difference in meaning, you still beat me to it. :(
Aha :)

Rostum
08-15-2013, 10:15 AM
My djembe (birthday present from past relationship), my acoustic guitar (handed down by my sister), my electric guitar (my 16th b'day present), some framed photographs my dad has handed down to me that are worth quite a lot, and my art books especially my Riven and Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy books!

Loony BoB
08-15-2013, 10:51 AM
There are a lot of things I have sentimental value over. Mostly my letters (particularly those from my cousin) and my Aiyon books/maps/drawings/etc. Beyond that, I suppose I could also include certain stuffed toys I've had since I was a kid, paintings by my Mum (some gifted, some paid for), my FFVII game and of course my wood. It's tough picking out things I couldn't let go of as most of them are in boxes which gathering dust. xD But they're in boxes which are gathering dust for a reason - because I don't ever want to lose them. Some of my most valued stuff is still in New Zealand to this day.

Mirage
08-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Whenever I get upset over losing something, it is usually just because of the work required to acquire a replacement, not because I had a special attachment to that exact item.

I might have gotten upset over losing a photo album, because that's sort of a thing that helps me remember things that happened in my life. However, in this day and age, that's solved by having my backups as well as online backup services. Speaking of, I should probably digitalize that photo album my parents have from my younger days. Even with this though, it is not the items themselves that I am worried about, but the information contained within them.

-Edit- Now that I think about it, I did buy some super famicom games in Japan just for the sake of collecting them. I'm not extremely attached to them, though. I wouldn't want to lose them, but that's again mostly because it might get even harder to find the original games in the future. I guess that's the closest I get to emotional attachment to items, maybe. I'm not sure, though. I like playing games from my childhood, just for the nostalgia, but it's never the storage medium the games come on that does anything for me. Same with books and movies from my childhood.

Maybe this means I am a true child of the information age.