PDA

View Full Version : Psychics

Jinx
08-14-2013, 01:14 AM
I've always really wanted to go to a psychic. I think it might be interesting and maybe a little scary. Even if it was all just a hack, I still think it'd be good for a laugh!

Has anyone here ever been to a psychic? Would you ever go to one?

Spuuky
08-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Of course I wouldn't, because I'm stringently opposed to wasting money, even for "entertainment."

Since I already have some mild powers of foresight I don't know I'd bother, anyway.

Formalhaut
08-14-2013, 01:41 AM
Nope. Not even remotely interested.

qwertysaur
08-14-2013, 01:53 AM
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon/063.png

Raistlin
08-14-2013, 03:07 AM
No. I don't like encouraging con artists.

Miriel
08-14-2013, 03:13 AM
What about magicians?

Araciel
08-14-2013, 03:24 AM
I believe in science.

noxious.sunshine
08-14-2013, 03:59 AM
XD

I was drunk one time and paid for a psychic.

It was a load of crock. Bitch said my ex was my soulmate & we'd get married someday.

One time a psychic company called my house when I was younger and my dad answered. They said, "Is this Mr. Nunnery?" .... And of course he asked who it was. and they tell him... And he goes "Well if y'all are a bunch of goddamn psychics, you should know if this is Mr. Nunnery or not!"

Also, there's Psychic Bitch - Completely Free Psychic Readings (http://www.psychicbitch.com)
It's free.

Raistlin
08-14-2013, 04:06 AM
What about magicians?

Does anyone actually believe, and do magicians by and large seriously encourage the belief, that they are doing actual magic with mystical powers? I will cheerfully call any that do in order to lure in credulous dupes to be con artists. But otherwise I see that as a pretty clear distinction between the two groups (in general, as of course there can be exceptions). John Edward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edward) is among the most despicable, but his claims aren't any wilder than many self-labeled psychics.

Sephex
08-14-2013, 04:15 AM
This is kind of off topic, but I remember the time a friend of one of my exgirlfriends claimed to know all sorts of things about the afterlife/supernatural world. One of the points that she brought up was the "witching hour." She said this meant that there is a specific point in time where all spirits are more active across the world.

I then asked, "Do spirits know about timezones or daylight savings time? What about people that died before such concepts was introduced to society?"

She didn't like me much after that.

Shiny
08-14-2013, 05:52 AM
My friend gave me a psychic reading with cards and all. She knows me too well for it to have any weight though. Like ghosts, I don't believe in psychis and I would never pay for this bullshit. I do however believe in intuition.

Laddy
08-14-2013, 07:12 AM
One of my best friends claims to have such powers. Whenever I hear a "vision" I go "kthx lol let's imma go watch tv nao" and I ignore it.

Shauna
08-14-2013, 09:04 AM
My Mum went to a psychic night once. She was told I was going to get pregnant soon. Still nothing. I suspect that it may all have been a ruse.

The Man
08-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Of course I wouldn't, because I'm stringently opposed to wasting money, even for "entertainment."

^. If a friend wanted to do a tarot reading on me or something I'd probably let them, but I'd make it clear that I was just doing it for the lulz and not because I actually believed it had any relevance to my life. I certainly wouldn't pay money for any such thing.

Faris
08-14-2013, 11:48 AM
I went a few times when I was more interested in that kind of thing while I was a teenager. Wouldn't go again now though.

My mom had her tea leaves read while she was living in Manitoba way before I was born and they told her that she would move east and have a baby boy. She did move east but had me instead :jess:

Loony BoB
08-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Yep.

Psychotic
08-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Psychics cheat - they make self-fulfilling prophecies that they can make happen. As an example, my mother was told she would unleash a monster upon the world and so she stabbed me with an ice pick while I was still in the womb. The brain damage it caused is what gave me all my personality flaws and that's the reaspm why I am the festering scab of a human being you all know and love.

Sephex
08-14-2013, 05:54 PM
The brain damage....
...and that's the reaspm

OMG IT'S TRUE!!

NeoCracker
08-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Psychics cheat - they make self-fulfilling prophecies that they can make happen. As an example, my mother was told she would unleash a monster upon the world and so she stabbed me with an ice pick while I was still in the womb. The brain damage it caused is what gave me all my personality flaws and that's the reaspm why I am the festering scab of a human being you all know and love.

Huh, and here I was thinking you were just a dick all this time! :monster:

Psychotic
08-14-2013, 05:57 PM
You should feel bad then shouldn't you :colbert:

NeoCracker
08-14-2013, 05:59 PM
You should feel bad then shouldn't you :colbert:

Well I should. I mean I don't, but that's beside the point.

Denmark
08-14-2013, 06:01 PM
i've misread the thread title as "Psychotics" more than once now

qwertysaur
08-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Remember, Psychotic is just Psychic with a couple implants. :shobon:

Shorty
08-14-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't need a psychic, I have my own tarot cards.

Jinx
08-14-2013, 06:36 PM
How good are you at reading them?

I used to have a deck. I wouldn't mind getting some again. They were fun, but I think I placed too much meaning or read into too much. Or rather, I changed the meaning to fit my situation? I guess that's why I'd like to go to a stranger. I mean, I'd go in with the mentality that it's all bullshit and just good for a laugh, but who knows.

Shorty
08-14-2013, 06:39 PM
I was just being facetious, really. I play with them because they're fun. And it's not me necessarily who needs to be good at reading them, it's the person who I'm doing a reading for. All I do is relay the "meaning" of the cards pulled and they take it and interpret it how they like. I shocked a super christian girl with a reading once who thought they were witchcraft and didn't want to have a reading done but finally gave in to her curiosity.

I would never use them in a serious manner, but it's fun to sometimes use them to help you think outside the box about your life sometimes.

Jinx
08-14-2013, 06:41 PM
I want to make a Pentagram of salt and light candles and read tarot cards w. ith you in the forest at midnight, Shorty

Shorty
08-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Only during a full moon, girl.

Araciel
08-14-2013, 07:29 PM
I have a tarot deck around here.. Used to use it for a Deck of Many Things.

It was sweet because it was a Mage The Awakening one.

EDIT - Mage The Ascension

dammit

Chris
08-14-2013, 10:15 PM
GOD I've needed psychics so many times in my life. I can't tell you how many times I've needed help in deciding which positions to take. I feel cheated. "You must not get yourself leg-locked that way", or "don't put that there yet."

I want to visit these places for fun. :(

Shorty
08-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Give me your money and I will be your psychic.

Yerushalmi
08-15-2013, 05:45 AM
My mother is a great believer in this stuff and took me to mystic rabbis once in a while. One told me I "shouldn't care so much what other people think of me", which is so vague and true about everyone that it's useless and yet at the same time probably applies less to me than it does to most; after the session I demonstrated the ridiculousness of this sort of thing by using a mathematical formula to tell my mother and each of her sisters which chapter of Psalms "best applies to them".

Years later I was taken to another mystic who blessed me with "health", which confused me because I wasn't sick. Well, I got sick the next day. So I facetiously told my mother I'm not going to psychics anymore. :p

Interestingly, my mother later consulted one about me during a dark period in my life, and he warned her about something ridiculous. But she didn't realize there was a second meaning to one of the words in the sentence, which perfectly applied to something I was doing at that exact moment on the other side of the world, about which she knew nothing. So, maybe there could be something to it? I'm a scientist at heart, so I'm inclined to disbelieve, but a truly honest scientist is open to being convinced should there be a preponderance of evidence. (One coincidence, though, is not a preponderance of evidence.)

Frankly, I won't believe in a psychic of any kind unless they can tell me the nature of my dark side without knowing about it first.

What about magicians?

Does anyone actually believe, and do magicians by and large seriously encourage the belief, that they are doing actual magic with mystical powers? I will cheerfully call any that do in order to lure in credulous dupes to be con artists. But otherwise I see that as a pretty clear distinction between the two groups (in general, as of course there can be exceptions). John Edward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edward) is among the most despicable, but his claims aren't any wilder than many self-labeled psychics.

Uri Geller is famous for claiming that he actually has mystical powers rather than just using it as a conceit. But he's also a bit of a jerk.

This is kind of off topic, but I remember the time a friend of one of my exgirlfriends claimed to know all sorts of things about the afterlife/supernatural world. One of the points that she brought up was the "witching hour." She said this meant that there is a specific point in time where all spirits are more active across the world.

I then asked, "Do spirits know about timezones or daylight savings time? What about people that died before such concepts was introduced to society?"

She didn't like me much after that.

My mother-in-law believes in this ridiculous superstition (which several of my childhood friends also believed) that if you step over somebody they'll stop growing until you step over them again in the opposite direction. I once climbed over her to get out of a sofa and she started panicking, telling me I had to cross back over her. I asked her how much more growing she's intending on doing at the age of sixty. I then asked if it has to be the same person crossing over you in reverse or if anyone can do it; and what happens if you cross back over but offset the angle by one degree or five degrees or seventy degrees, and where the line is; and whether that means people who live around airports suffer from extreme dwarfism; and if there's a statistical correlation between being shorter and living on lower floors of an apartment building. She wasn't very happy with that :p

Shorty
08-15-2013, 05:48 AM
What about magicians?

Uri Geller is famous for claiming that he actually has mystical powers rather than just using it as a conceit. But he's also a bit of a jerk.

Really? You never saw the video where he got exposed?

Quindiana Jones
08-15-2013, 05:50 AM
I met one once. I was exploring some old ruins, when all of a sudden time stopped and this guy in funcky robes appears and starts talking about the world's inevitable doom unless I stop it, something about an Augur and how I didn't have much time before the end of all life or something.

I ignored him and punched a dragon, instead.

Yerushalmi
08-15-2013, 06:02 AM
What about magicians?

"The" video? The man keeps getting exposed over and over again but somehow never gives up.

Wikipedia claims he changed his mind and his conceit in 2007, which I didn't know about, but then later in the article brings a quote from 2008 in which he still claims to have powers. It's impossible to keep a bad psychic down!

Raistlin
08-15-2013, 06:03 AM

Uri Geller is the exact sort of exception I was thinking about haha, although notably he also called himself a psychic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uri_Geller), so I can still blame his con artistry and general douchebaggery on the latter.

What does that have to do with Geller being a jerk?

Also James Randi is my hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9w7jHYriFo).

Spuuky
08-15-2013, 04:28 PM
I really am psychic, though; it's not my fault that people have such a warped definition of what that means.

Spooniest
08-15-2013, 04:59 PM
"The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao."

Believe in clairvoyance, telepathy, synchronicity? Sure!

Believe in them being reliably perceptible by human beings for a business to be run that provides accurate service to each individual customer?

...That seems far-fetched.

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-15-2013, 05:21 PM
The problem with the word psychic is that it is often an umbrella term to refer to a variety of preternatural abilities or claims that people make. As a kid, I read a lot about it and while I remain skeptical about many claims in general, there is a part of me that also entertains that certain areas are more credible than others.

Telekinesis/Psychokinesis: Moving things with your mind. A lot of these guys have been disproven. While it would be cool, I really doubt it.

Psychometry: Often said to be the simplest and easiest skill to develop, it is the ability to "read" objects. Basically, it is the ability to grab an object that has a strong connection to a person and glean information about the person from it. Seems to be a bit of cold reading going on here.

Telepathy: I think it is more of knowing someone really well and reading body language.

Mediums: Mediums, or other names, are historical and cultural present in many cultures. Many of them not only negotiate with the afterlife but also with other preternatural forces such as deities and spirits. It is a really interesting area of study. While I honestly of two minds regarding this (I think there are a lot of fakes out there), their roles in their respective cultures and societies are fascinating and often serve important functional roles.

Precognition: The ability to see the future. This I think is impossible since I believe that it is impossible to predict the future. Even if someone were able to, though unlikely, chances are they are merely seeing a possible future not the actual future.

Clairvoyance/clairaudience: The ability to see (or hear) events happening in the present (elsewhere) or in the past. Sometimes included: near future. Some old places have a feeling about them and a certain "energy"/atmosphere about them but that is about as far as I would go...?

Divination: Is distinct from precognition, but sometimes touches upon the same matter, divination is merely the consultation of usually, but not always, externals forces for advice or guidance. There are a lot of different traditions in this regard, though the most familiar to most is Tarot cards. I have a tarot deck that I use very sporadically. It is pretty accurate and I only use it as a tool of self-reflection. It is not going to tell me the winning lot numbers or anything like that, just give me another avenue of insight into a current problem. The more pressing/bothered I am by an issue the more complex the layout I use (traditional three card spread verses a full Celtic Cross spread).

So yeah, some info and my take on it. Kinda rushed...

Yerushalmi
08-15-2013, 05:23 PM
"The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao."

Believe in clairvoyance, telepathy, synchronicity? Sure!

Believe in them being reliably perceptible by human beings for a business to be run that provides accurate service to each individual customer?

...That seems far-fetched.

Any type of clairvoyance, telepathy, synchronicity, whatever, that actually exists can be analyzed to determine under what circumstances it does and does not work, to discover its limits, and to figure out exactly how to make it produce reproducible results. Science is not a mystical impenetrable magic - it is made of rules of logic. There is no such thing as something that "disappears when you try to analyze it with science" (and don't talk to me about the uncertainty principle, because that has reproducible results - we not only know what becomes uncertain, we can tell you in advance exactly how much of it becomes uncertain).

And of course, once you figure out the rules of something, even if it disappears and reappears under certain circumstances, you can still build a business out of it (http://xkcd.com/808/).

That doesn't, of course, mean that the business model must necessarily resemble the ones we see today. But if something exists, it exists whether or not you try to make money off of it.

Flaming Ice
08-15-2013, 05:31 PM
"In your future you will die."

"Next!"

08-15-2013, 05:59 PM
There is no such thing as something that "disappears when you try to analyze it with science" (and don't talk to me about the uncertainty principle, because that has reproducible results - we not only know what becomes uncertain, we can tell you in advance exactly how much of it becomes uncertain).

And of course, once you figure out the rules of something, even if it disappears and reappears under certain circumstances, you can still build a business out of it (http://xkcd.com/808/).

I think the question of whether quantum particles or fields actually are real, exists in the material sense, is a very different question than discussing the viability of the standard model. It goes beyond just the uncertainty principle. There is something more fundamental at question regarding the existence (or non-existence) of quantum particles/fields. There is a really interesting article in the August 2013 issue of Scientific American by Meinard Kuhlmann, a German Physicist and Philosopher, that explores the metaphysical state of quantum particles and the discrepancies between what we see/calculate/do, what we infer, and what actually occurs.

Preview of Article mentioned above (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=physicists-debate-whether-world-made-of-particles-fields-or-something-else). Sadly, not the greatest blurb. :/

Yerushalmi
08-15-2013, 07:57 PM
There is no such thing as something that "disappears when you try to analyze it with science" (and don't talk to me about the uncertainty principle, because that has reproducible results - we not only know what becomes uncertain, we can tell you in advance exactly how much of it becomes uncertain).

I think the question of whether quantum particles or fields actually are real, exists in the material sense, is a very different question than discussing the viability of the standard model. It goes beyond just the uncertainty principle. There is something more fundamental at question regarding the existence (or non-existence) of quantum particles/fields. There is a really interesting article in the August 2013 issue of Scientific American by Meinard Kuhlmann, a German Physicist and Philosopher, that explores the metaphysical state of quantum particles and the discrepancies between what we see/calculate/do, what we infer, and what actually occurs.

Preview of Article mentioned above (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=physicists-debate-whether-world-made-of-particles-fields-or-something-else). Sadly, not the greatest blurb. :/

The whole point of science is that we come up with a theory to describe what's going on, that theory makes predictions about what will happen under various circumstances, and when those predictions are fulfilled we consider the theory to be correct.

Is it possible that the theory is wrong in some detail? Of course. It is even possible that the entirety of our conception is wrong but merely happens to coincide with the reality in most circumstances, and the moment we find a given discrepancy the entire edifice of theory we've built over decades or centuries will collapse, and we'll have to come up with something else entirely to match the facts? It's happened (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/3223.html) before (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/3234.html).

But even if what we're describing isn't really real, and we'll find out exactly how wrong we are some day, that doesn't change the fact that the theory works for the things it was designed to describe. If particle-field duality doesn't actually exist, and we'll one day replace it with something else, that doesn't change the fact that computers and GPS satellites and particle accelerators and everything else we've built on the base of that theory works. Isn't that the whole point?

Parker
08-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Mediums are amongst the scummiest people on the planet, imo.

"let's blatantly con people during their periods of grief".

smurf mediums, and smurf psychics in general.

Edit: Uri is kinda interesting in that he has claimed psychic powers for a long time, but has recently sort of loosened up and even appeared on the covers of magic (as in magic as entertainment) magazines and shown up at conjuring events. He will never admit to anyone that he uses common magician's tools and techniques but there is a sort of unwritten and unspoken understanding of sorts amongst the magical community as to what he does and what he is.

Spooniest
08-16-2013, 03:16 AM
Oh, hucksterism? I thought we were talking about psychics.

It doesn't really bother me...con games are easy to beat. Don't get your wallet out. They say you can't cheat an honest man.

comma
08-16-2013, 03:42 AM
If particle-field duality doesn't actually exist, and we'll one day replace it with something else, that doesn't change the fact that computers and GPS satellites and particle accelerators and everything else we've built on the base of that theory works. Isn't that the whole point?No, the point of science is knowledge. I think that's pretty clear. That's why people do it and that's what we get out of it every time. Science is what we use to justify our beliefs in truths. True justified belief is knowledge, simply put.

Things working might be the point of science to some senator who helps decide the NASA budget, but that's a limited context.

Otherwise, your presence in this thread is outstanding. I removed you from my ignore list just to read your posts here. Nice work.

Yerushalmi
08-16-2013, 04:40 AM
If particle-field duality doesn't actually exist, and we'll one day replace it with something else, that doesn't change the fact that computers and GPS satellites and particle accelerators and everything else we've built on the base of that theory works. Isn't that the whole point?No, the point of science is knowledge. I think that's pretty clear. That's why people do it and that's what we get out of it every time. Science is what we use to justify our beliefs in truths. True justified belief is knowledge, simply put.

Things working might be the point of science to some senator who helps decide the NASA budget, but that's a limited context.

Otherwise, your presence in this thread is outstanding. I removed you from my ignore list just to read your posts here. Nice work.

I don't mean that the point of science is "to make things that work". I mean that the point of having a theory is "to make accurate predictions", and that if the theory is reliable enough that we've been able to build all sorts of stuff that wouldn't work without it, then we must have done a really good job with our theory even if something (or everything) about it is wrong.

...why was I on your ignore list?

08-16-2013, 05:19 AM

The whole point of science is that we come up with a theory to describe what's going on, that theory makes predictions about what will happen under various circumstances, and when those predictions are fulfilled we consider the theory to be correct.

Is it possible that the theory is wrong in some detail? Of course. It is even possible that the entirety of our conception is wrong but merely happens to coincide with the reality in most circumstances, and the moment we find a given discrepancy the entire edifice of theory we've built over decades or centuries will collapse, and we'll have to come up with something else entirely to match the facts? It's happened (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/3223.html) before (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/3234.html).

But even if what we're describing isn't really real, and we'll find out exactly how wrong we are some day, that doesn't change the fact that the theory works for the things it was designed to describe. If particle-field duality doesn't actually exist, and we'll one day replace it with something else, that doesn't change the fact that computers and GPS satellites and particle accelerators and everything else we've built on the base of that theory works. Isn't that the whole point?

I think you totally missed my point there. I wasn't actually criticizing the theory itself, or rather the machinations thereof, merely the assumptions and problems therein. I was taking more of a philosophical approach than a scientific one since the question at hand in this thread dealt more closely the the metaphysical issues regarding quantum mechanics than whether or not the theory works, which the standard model is pretty accurate. Nor was I arguing against the notion of paradigm shifts within science. I actually find Kuhn's work regarding paradigm shifts in science very interesting, especially concerning biases and subjectivity. However, that is a different discussion. At hand, I merely presented another argument since I felt that the comparison of uncertainty principle and psychic phenomenon was rather weak since the former is more of a problematization in measuring leading to a more probabilistic universe. The latter was more of the mystical and ineffable which cannot be measured which I think the metaphysical issue touches at more deeply. Especially given that we do not really observe the particles (yes, thank you uncertainty principle) but rather traces left behind by said particles. These traces lead us to infer a particle moving in continuous motion yet the reality of it is that the "traces" are actually discrete, series of events or impression than continuous. The inferences from the discrete impression to an actually trajectory is not necessarily correct, nor is it consistent with the standard model. Thus the problem with understanding them as quantum particles (there are other cases too, as well as cases for fields). I think this is much more related to the inability to measure psychic phenomenon and whether they really occur than simply drawing a negative parallel with the uncertainty principle. Also, I thought you might just find the article interesting. :p

Mercen-X
08-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Three most important questions I'd ask a psychic:

What publishing company will I be with for the next four years?

What make and model of car will I own in the next two years?

And naturally...

Who is the next girl I will be having sex with?