PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip

qwertysaur
08-14-2013, 10:21 PM
What do you have to have when you go on a road trip?

For me it's a good book and my 3DS or PSP. :p

Denmark
08-14-2013, 10:25 PM
The keys to the car, since many times I'm doing the driving (which I prefer anyway). And loud music.

NorthernChaosGod
08-14-2013, 10:45 PM
I do most of the driving with my friends, so keys and my iPod. If I'm with my family though I'll just bring headphones and play on my phone.

Shorty
08-14-2013, 10:47 PM
My ipod. I'm almost always the one driving.

I can't read or do anything in the car on a trip, really. It makes me terribly sick.

ThornQueen
08-15-2013, 04:51 AM
I'm almost always driving, so I need some form of music an a lot of water (I have no AC and live in the Southern US, oi).

If by a miracle I'm a passenger, I usually like to take a book and a gaming device so I can switch back and forth between them.

Jiro
08-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Apart from the obvious things like a car etc, not a whole lot.

Don't even need a destination.

:aimsun:

Iceglow
08-16-2013, 01:52 PM
I don't do things like reading or gaming when on a road trip. I prefer having music and conversation. The only other essential is a car charger for my phone

Quindiana Jones
08-16-2013, 02:08 PM
A great time.

Psychotic
08-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Boeing 747. No-one dares tailgate me when I'm cruising the highway in that bad boy.

Shiny
08-16-2013, 04:26 PM
A book, my DS, and a big fucking hat.

Araciel
08-16-2013, 04:28 PM
I stay home on the internet instead.

Sephex
08-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Lots and lots of progressive rock and metal if I am driving. There is nothing like listening to a concept album or something with continuous driving.

If I am not driving, I'll play whatever handheld I feel like using and my smart phone for internet stuff.

Pike
08-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Like everyone else said I'm usually driving.

If not then an mp3 player and a handheld gaming console will do it.

Formalhaut
08-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Hmm, my IPod definitely. I like to listen to music while I'm watching outside the window. Although, if I'm with friends then I'll forgo that because it would be incredibly rude for me to block them out in my soundsphere :p

Scotty_ffgamer
08-16-2013, 06:30 PM
I usually have to bring music, a book or two, a notebook (in case I want to write), a camera, and some sort of portable gaming console. However, I generally use none of those things (except maybe music) and just talk to the people I'm with.

noxious.sunshine
08-16-2013, 06:56 PM
My phone, car charger, lots of road trip snacky food, lots of music in various genres...

My phone is kind of an all-in-one thing though.. 'Cuz it connects to the car via Blue Tooth, if Parker is with us, she can watch tv shows or movies on Netflix or something on it. Or watch something on the laptop if I'm using my phone. Otherwise, I have a playlist just for her on my 80GB iPod classic. I need to put movies on it, though.. I have a ton of space still.

Rebellious Eagle
08-17-2013, 06:10 AM
Definitely my iPod. I NEED my own music when I'm in a car or other vehicle.

Shlup
08-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Standup comedy CDs and a buttload of snacks.

yukina
08-17-2013, 07:40 AM
iPod chock full of songs, iPad with games and movies, and (back in the days) my trusty Gameboy :)). And a truckload of snacks. I think I consume thrice as much food on a roadtrip than on a regular day. Also, a pillow and a blanket because I'm a snoozer most of the time.

noxious.sunshine
08-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot about pillow & blankie! XDD

And my teddy bear. Teddy goes with me if I'm gonna be gone overnight.

Jiro
08-18-2013, 04:03 AM
I hope you iPod mentioning folks are connecting it via AUX and are pumping that shit for everyone in the car. You can't be antisocial on a bloody roadtrip, that's basically a crime.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-18-2013, 06:40 AM
I'll only use headphones if everyone else is asleep and they want it quiet. Otherwise, if the car doesn't have the capability of playing an iPod for everyone to hear, I will just use cd's. Actually, I'm generally not allowed to use my own music on trips just because I have such a pathetic amount of music, and my friends usually have everything I have in their iPods or whatever.

Pike
08-18-2013, 10:36 AM
You can't be antisocial on a bloody roadtrip, that's basically a crime.

I can if I'm being dragged along by my parents to some family event or something :colbert: Those are the only road trips I've ever been on where I'm a passenger and not a driver. xD

Spooniest
08-18-2013, 12:25 PM
"Full Moon Fever" by Tom Petty.
"Running On Empty" by Jackson Browne.
"Damn The Torpedoes" by Tom Petty.
"The Fillmore Concerts" by The Allman Brothers Band.
"musicforthemorningafter" by Pete Yorn.
"Heartbreaker" by Ryan Adams.
"Gold" by Ryan Adams.
"Is This It" by The Strokes.
"Veni Vidi Vicious" by The Hives.
"Tyrannosaurus Hives" by The Hives.
Anything by The White Stripes or Jack White in general.

Oh yes, and also "Permission To Land" by The Darkness.

(This is how it starts ... bad words) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeRY-jxKuqA)

yukina
08-18-2013, 01:35 PM
I hope you iPod mentioning folks are connecting it via AUX and are pumping that shit for everyone in the car. You can't be antisocial on a bloody roadtrip, that's basically a crime.

Not if I'm traveling with my family and my parents are arguing about which road to take. Otherwise, I'm all for blasting the tunes inside the car and hollering along with everyone :))

Spooniest
08-18-2013, 01:38 PM
I hope you iPod mentioning folks are connecting it via AUX and are pumping that trout for everyone in the car. You can't be antisocial on a bloody roadtrip, that's basically a crime.

Agreed.

Jowy
08-21-2013, 09:56 AM
- LOTS OF WATER.
- A change of clothing. The sun can get real hot, real quick. Switch to shorts, lose the AC, and don't burn so much fuel in the car.
- Electronic device chargers.
- Some sort of music generating device or you will go completely insane.
- Cigarettes: They help you drive faster.
- No more than three (3) bags of gas station junk food.
- Up to $5 in change and $20 in singles for miscellaneous tolls.
- A camera.
- Deodorant. You can get stinky real quick.
- A flare gun. Roadside emergencies happen!

Relena Peacecraft
08-22-2013, 03:17 AM
- LOTS OF WATER.
- A change of clothing. The sun can get real hot, real quick. Switch to shorts, lose the AC, and don't burn so much fuel in the car.
Yeah, driving in a 120+ degree car is obviously the sane way to do things.

My main source of entertainment I suppose is podcasts and music once I've exhausted those. Not that I really get bored. I could probably just sit there for hours and not worry about it. Since I'm the one driving the past few times, I'm at least busy with driving anyway.

Otherwise, I bring way more beverages than I need (water, gatorade, Pepsi or something for when I invariably start getting sleepy in the early to mid-afternoon), snacks that I definitely don't need, my phone (which basically covers all electronic device needs at this point), my clothes, my laptop, a thermometer so I can tell what the in-car temperature is. I try to avoid A/C until it starts pushing the upper 70s, but I find that's impractical except in the early part of the day (at least in the summer).

I bring cash, but it sure ain't to pay any stupid tolls, because I intentionally avoid any routes that might have tolls. Thankfully my primary drive I take every year has no tolls along the way. I also bring a bunch of tools in case I have to make some emergency repairs to the car like replacing a clutch cable or changing a tire. Speaking of car supplies, I make sure to bring along an extra quart or two of oil (after a couple thousand miles, my car will almost certainly need the oil topped off), extra coolant, extra windshield wiper fluid, and whatever else I happen to have in my trunk.

Okay, I bring tons of stuff, but I've done this two-day dawn-to-dusk drive thing a few times now.

rubah
08-22-2013, 04:44 AM

not to mention it's dangerous to block out the sounds of the road!

Give me an audio book and I'll drive across the country. I might be slightly insane by the third day, though.