PDA

View Full Version : Which Final Fantasy should I play next?

KentaRawr!
08-15-2013, 03:07 AM
So, I've mostly watched other people play the PSX Final Fantasies. I've never actually beaten any of them myself, despite knowing lots of story details I shouldn't yet! I've only beaten Final Fantasies 1 through 6, barring 5. Not because I particularly dislike 5. I actually find it really addicting! I'm not sure why I never beat it.

Right now I'm actually replaying Final Fantasy 1, but after beating that, which FF would you guys recommend I play? Not necessarily because of my tastes, since I've genuinely enjoyed every Final Fantasy I began playing. Just think about which FF you'd be most okay with playing at the moment! I'm honestly more curious about what EoFFers are interested in playing out of the ones I haven't beaten.

comma
08-15-2013, 03:20 AM
I want to play FFIX the most, so that's why I picked it. Crossing my fingers for an upgraded PC re-release.

ThornQueen
08-15-2013, 04:56 AM
I periodically get the intense urge to replay FFVII and FFIX, and right now it's currently FFIX. So, that gets my vote.

Yerushalmi
08-15-2013, 05:56 AM
So, I've mostly watched other people play the PSX Final Fantasies. I've never actually beaten any of them myself, despite knowing lots of story details I shouldn't yet! I've only beaten Final Fantasies 1 through 6, barring 5. Not because I particularly dislike 5. I actually find it really addicting! I'm not sure why I never beat it.

Right now I'm actually replaying Final Fantasy 1, but after beating that, which FF would you guys recommend I play? Not necessarily because of my tastes, since I've genuinely enjoyed every Final Fantasy I began playing. Just think about which FF you'd be most okay with playing at the moment! I'm honestly more curious about what EoFFers are interested in playing out of the ones I haven't beaten.

Where did you get up to in V? I found it the best in the series so far (having only played I-V and half of VI), and the latter third of V is the best part.

maybee
08-15-2013, 05:57 AM
Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy X-2

:tongue:

VeloZer0
08-15-2013, 06:02 AM
FF7 or FF Tactics. Though FFT is by far my favorite I will admit that liking the other games in the series will not autocratically ensure liking of FFT, in which case I vote FF7.

Gamblet
08-15-2013, 12:43 PM
FF 7 because I am replaying it right now and it is epic so far. I am trying out new materia placements and shit.

Yerushalmi
08-15-2013, 12:44 PM
FF 7 because I am replaying it right now and it is epic so far. I am trying out new materia placements and trout.

I'll hazard a guess that of the two, the new materia placements will be more useful.

KentaRawr!
08-15-2013, 01:09 PM

Where did you get up to in V? I found it the best in the series so far (having only played I-V and half of VI), and the latter third of V is the best part.

The furthest I've ever gotten was somewhere shortly after Galuf's fight with Exdeath, and Krile was in my party. I remember something about a huge forest burning, but I feel like that was slightly earlier than that. I can't remember well. :p That was on the PSX version, though. My most recent playthrough on the GBA version is at Exdeath's castle, about to have the battle on the big bridge.

FF7 or FF Tactics. Though FFT is by far my favorite I will admit that liking the other games in the series will not autocratically ensure liking of FFT, in which case I vote FF7.

I love FFT! I've just never beaten it. :p Not sure if I'll get back to it until I beat Tactics Ogre, though.

Jinx
08-15-2013, 02:38 PM
FFIX is hands down the best in the series. Go play it.

Karifean
08-16-2013, 12:34 AM
IMO FF VII and X are the two games that you just have to play the most.

FF7 because of its huge impact on RPGs in general and because it is easily the most well-known game in the series. And to this day it still holds up as a great game. A game you just have to play.

And FFX not because it's my favorite (okay, that's part of it), but because it is one of the more controversial titles in the series. The middle ground seems a bit small to me - many people either really love the game or hate it with a burning passion. No matter what arguments you find, you will never know which of the two you're gonna be in until you try the game for yourself. You just have to play it to really have a personal idea and impression of it, because you'll always find two opposing arguments in discussions.

Bolivar
08-18-2013, 05:00 PM
You can't go wrong with any of them:

FFVII is my top choice because it's the best paced game in the series, with tons of mini-games and cinematic battles that keep you moving from one thing to the next as the story progresses. I also like the plot and music best in the series overall. The only downside is that the game gets too easy unless you run from a battle every now and then.

FFVIII is probably unlike anything you've ever played in the series, and the battle system is at times overly complex, in a way that many people feel the only way to play it is to break it. The plot is weak in the minds of some, since there's a revelation (that you might know of) that feels a little cheap. But I think it's a pretty powerful story.

FFIX is the most well-rounded game, a diversified portfolio, if you will. All its parts are strong across the board, but it doesn't reach the same highs as VII or VIII did. But if you wanted a safe bet, it would be this one. The challenge is also decent throughout the main story and it contains countless little references you might appreciate, having already played so many of the earlier games.

FFTactics - a very challenging game, and it's possible to get "stuck" at multiple points; if you don't keep a bunch of past saves, you can get locked out of the main map in a battle you must defeat to move on, but it's impossible to do with the party you have so far. But the plot, music, and artwork are some of the finest ever delivered in a video game.

FFX and FFXII are both unbelieavably fantastic games. But they're very divisive. FFX is an overly narrow game, in that it's rather linear, taking you from one location to the next. FFXII is overly open and sprawling, to the point that it's hard to keep track of the plot the first time going through it, since you spend so much time exploring this massive world. In other words, FFX beats you over the head with its plot whereas FFXII buries it underneath this great setting and scenario. Both games have pretty good combat, so it's a big tossup between the two for me, they're both two of my favorite games, but for different reasons. If you want something different from traditional FF, go FFXII. If you want an amazing FF story, go for X.

Again, VII's my pick, and from there you may as well go in order, right?

Spooniest
08-25-2013, 02:51 AM

I felt a little downhearted when I read this thread. I thought about it, and...

I've just played them too many times. I only have 1-9 available to me, and I've just played them too many times. I feel like I can't go home again.

James_Cub
09-10-2013, 01:54 PM
13-2, just finished 13 so I would like to follow up

Foo
09-19-2013, 05:49 PM
but it doesn't reach the same highs as VII or VIII did.

As someone who doesn't particularly like this game, I agree. Its not bad, but I just didn't get sucked in like I did with VII, VIII or X.

My vote would be for VIII. As long as you're not the kind of person who is offended by Squall's personality early on, its an excellent game and in my opinion the best in the series. VII would be a close second.

crashNUMBERS
09-25-2013, 02:08 PM
beat 5, then go on in order. thats what Im doing, but instead starting from the first

Loony BoB
09-26-2013, 02:10 PM
The top four options are all great, although I would opt for VII or V if I had to pick one. VIII after them, then IX, then whatever after that!

Ayen
10-06-2013, 08:57 PM
X. But I have a strong bias towards X.